10.5.3 Update Guide

iSkylla

299 posts in this topic

anyone?

I suspect the Pystar machines are also Intel and as such are probably compatible with your machine. I imagine the update would probably work. You might just try a re-install and then use the 10.5.3 updater you have on hand to do the main update. Then add the kexts you need at that time for anything that doesn't work such as sound, ethernet, etc.

Have fun and let us know how it turns out.

I'm running leo4Allv2 and while updating to 10.5.3 i got a KP now my laptop wont start keeps on restating after loading kexts. I used the 10.5.3 from apple and yes i did run script that deletes the CPUManagement kext. My machine is a Dell D530. I can boot using the install disc i want to know what do i have to restore

After installing 10.5.3 my laptop does not turn off the monitor when its time :o just screensaver stays running... any ideas? it worked fine on 10.5.2... running Leo4allv3...

So far this is the only bug I found out...

HP Pavilion dv5224nr

AMD Turion 64 2.2 GHz

2GB memory DDR

ATI express m200 chipset

Any ideas suggestions?

Thanks.

*n00b alert*

I'm reading this as a "tutorial", but being a complete n00b to osx86, i'm still feeling pretty overwhelmed by everything going on. i'm pretty comfortable about the script and the combo update, but can anyone be completely verbose about what files i need to make sure i back up? obviously, my nvinject256 drivers and the IONetworkingFamily.kext that i know are modified, but i'm sure there are others. Also, how do I go about restoring them once the update is installed?

would it be better if i just waited for the next "official" release?

Well, you have worked out. But if some of you are not aware, you dont need to extract with Pacifist first and manually install yourself.

Using Pacifist:

First click on authorization menu and authorize as root.

Then choose the packages or file you want (for example, press and hold Cmd key, choose the package containing NVinstaller 256 mb or whatever ram size you have, choose the kexts and frameworks package) and

then click on Install.

It will pop up a menu. Check "Dont ask again for this installation" and then hit replace.

That will force replace all of them.

Good luckhow about a bottle of bear. :D since you have tried one, you might have as well tried AppleAHCIPort.kext also. not sure if your problem is related to this.

ok finally got 10.5.3 upgraded, but uhm... NOTE: since i never ran pacifist the steps update in red are clueless to me, so please explain

new at pacifist, its the folder in applications, i ran it, it was shareware i had to wait to couple of secs, then i can run it to get the menu up , then what do i do i'am using the 0.2.1 nvinject and the permissions fix for the 7x00 card it is a 256mb card 64bit pcie please can you give me step by step instructions thanks!

ok so i decided to give it a try i author as root, then then i select the nvinject0.2.1.zip it opens so i then select the kext inside and choose install and follow the rest of the steps in red, after that i run the permissions fix script then reboot, but i dont get my c/i q back why? i even tried it without the permission fix and nothing

but maybe the reason is i have no idea what you mean by "choose the package containing NVinstaller 256 mb or whatever ram size you have, choose the kexts and frameworks package)"

After installing 10.5.3 my laptop does not turn off the monitor when its time :D just screensaver stays running... any ideas? it worked fine on 10.5.2... running Leo4allv3...

So far this is the only bug I found out...

HP Pavilion dv5224nr

AMD Turion 64 2.2 GHz

2GB memory DDR

ATI express m200 chipset

Any ideas suggestions?

Thanks.

that means u need to reinstall the display driver again.  And it should work now, screensaver

that means u need to reinstall the display driver again. And it should work now, screensaver

Thanks for the suggestion, I did reinstall Callisto drivers but the same thing... screensaver runs fine but it never turns the monito off... must be something else :( ....

Hi,

I have Compaq 6710b laptop.

I put Iatkos 2.0i 10.5.2 and I have problem with Ethernet and when turn off monitor from screen saver.

I put package AppleBCM5710Ethernet.kext but nothing.

Also I try update in 10.5.3 Ι come to the point that message "Model : Compaq 6710b" and freeze.

The Kalyway 10.5.2 dont recognize VGA 1680X1050 and ethernet.

What can I do?

post-242897-1213614154_thumb.jpg

Hi...I updated to 10.5.3 easily, booted without any problem.

But I don't know which of my back up kexts I should put back. I've noticed small things happening, like calculator giving odd results, programs occasionally crashing on simple stuff, and my About My Mac/System profiler giving bad/no info.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just downloaded JaS OsS86 10.5.3 Intel SSE3 Combo Update SMB Fix

Updated with Kalyway 10.5.2 as active system.

Smooth update - no terminal commands or kext replacements needed. At first Safari didn't work, but ok after restart.

JaS rocks!!! :lol:

Had previously tried Kaylway 10.5.3 update and it caused massive problems.

Reinstalled 10.5.2 clean, used Time Machine option at registration, worked great.

Recommend everyone get osx86 tools - great program, particularly for fixing boot problems.

**EDIT**

After some time, I've noticed a couple of tiny bugs with my install. USB won't recognize some devices plugged in after boot, particularly a mouse. And file sharing is not working correctly. I've since reinstalled Kalyway 10.5.2 on a different partition, and used the Kalyway 10.5.3 update with great success. I think the problem before was that I used the vanilla kernel with Chameleon EFI. Chose the other kernel (sorry I forget what it was called, but there was only one option besides vanilla), which says it's the one to use for EFI, did the update -v on boot, and then it worked great on restart!. Everything seems to be working. Yay!

• 3 weeks later...
trust me i never had it, i looked it was never there

Not to be argumentative, but if dsmos.kext was never there, then your system never made it through the boot process and you've never used Leopard. One of 2 files need to be there for OSX to boot, "Don't Steal Mac OS.kext" on a real Mac, or dsmos.kext on a hack. The real Apple file WILL NOT WORK on anything but a real EFI Mac; and OSX86 won't boot without dsmos.kext; it may have been set as a hidden file or something, but trust me, it HAD to have been there.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I screwed up and did the sw update to 10.5.5 and the system wouldnt reboot. I booted a DVD and navigated to /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions and deleted the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. System rebooted and all good. I did not follow the editing of the /System/InsallAtStratup/scripts/1 and replacing the line Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext with dsmos.kext. What are the ramificaitons?

Thanks!

This guide was a lot different than the one I used for 10.5.3. I ran two updates (didnt reboot in between) and that got me upgraded.

So is there something like that included for the combo update? And do i need to be at 10.5.4 or can I go straight to 10.5.5?

Well... I've update my Hackintosh (Kalyway) to 10.5.5, I dident follow any guide ( :) ) ...

So, I've restarted my computer right when it ask me.

Now, every time I boot my computer i get the "Need to reboot" message.

I'm using Dell Inspiron 1525.

Is there anything to do ... ?

Thanks.

So, Does anyone have success with 10.5.5???

Seems to be a mixed bag. I've had problems (so far). I updated from a bootable clone to save any real headaches. Used Combo update from 10.5.3 and ditched the problem kext, but the system still hung on reboot (at the gray apple screen with the incessant spinner and no hard drive activity). I'm going to try again after I've re-cloned my startup partition and see if trying a couple other things solves anything. Anyway, you might be okay, but I wouldn't try the update without having a good bootable backup and/or without starting up from that backup. Best of luck!

(If this last attempt doesn't work, I'm just going to wait for a full JaS/Kalyway/iDeneb/whatever version.) :angry2:

Update/Edit: Well, I got a bit further that time. I found a few odd things and after numerous re-starts (between which I got no further than before when starting from that partition), I finally managed to get a full start. Butt... All internal drives were seen as external, so there was something conflicting in my SATA port configuration and/or related kexts (e.g. maybe the AppleAHCI or others)... I also found other things weren't working as expected. System profile failed: "Error getting hardware data", or something. My built-in sound also wasn't working, despite the fact that the kexts that have always worked were there and did not appear to have been replaced by newer versions. I give up... Maybe I'll come back to this in a few weeks if/when there are some good solutions for people with systems like mine. And maybe one day I'll give another shot to doing a "Vanilla/retail" install, but what I have now is working better than anything else I've tried, so I guess I'll just stick with it.

I can't seem to get 10.5.5 to work Properly. I install it using all the proper methods

but when I reboot to get into Mac OS X I get the gray screen with the Apple and

the loading spinner. It'll stay at this screen forever the spinner keeps moving so it

isn't locking up. Not sure if anyone else has experienced something similar or can

recommend a possible solution.

I am running a Gigabyte P35-DS3R Q6600 4gb/ram 8800GT.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I recently tried updating mac os x on my system using this method. Halfway through installation (after the restart). I get a kernel panic, since then I haven't been able to boot my machine at all.

I got MacDrive for my windows partition and manually removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from the extensions as I found it lurking there, and also opened the InstallOnStartup directory to try to remove the Don'tStealMacOSX.kext but it wasn't there.

So I rebooted into my mac partition again, but no dice. Since then at some point my mac hard drive seems to have corrupted or something as it isn't readable by MacDrive anymore. I've tried booting from the installation disc to use diskutility to repair the disk, but that isn't too happy about working either.

I was going to reformat the whole disk, but before I do I'd like a second opinioin.

I've attached pics of the bootup.

System:

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 Clocked @ 3.4 GHz

Mobo: P5K-E WiFi/AP

SATA 500 GB: Vista

IDE 120 GB: Mac OS X

RAM: 2 GB 800 MHz

post-184796-1221922899_thumb.jpg

post-184796-1221922941_thumb.jpg

The guide appears to have worked for my system, but there are some oddities that have appeared afterward. First I'll let you know what my hardware is and then what the issues are.

Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz CPU (It's either a 530 or 531)

Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C Motherboard

4 GB Corsair Value Select DDR2-667

2 80 GB Samsung hard drives. (1 for system the other for Timemachine)

Nvidia 7200 GS 128MB Video Card

So the update went off without a hitch, but after completing the final boot, I went into "About this Mac" and OS X think I now have a 4 Ghz unknown CPU.

For some odd unexplained reason I can't actually enter timemachine anymore. It opens a window with my desktop contents and then it sits there like its frozen until I hit the X in the top left corner of the window. It appears to still do backups though, so I'm not sure what's going on.

I am curious though if I would be able to get some detailed help from you guys about another issue that has persisted from the very beginning. NOTE: I am a noob when it comes to OS X, but not Linux, and I know that these 2 OSes have there similarities, so I shouldn't be completely lost with your guidance.

When I installed OS X, from the Kalyway 10.5.2 disc, I just had it load every kernel available becasue I wasn't sure which one would work properly. Now that I know the sleep and speedstep kernels work, how do I have OS X boot from one of them automagically without having to type it EVERY time?

Thanks guys for all the help you have already supplied and all the help to come!

This method seems to work with people who did an install with Boot 132 and an original OSX Install disk.

I also tried this method on my set up (check out the sig) and I also used Kalway 10.5.2 to install and I had it upgraded up to 10.5.4 For some reason it just won't work right with Kalyway users - or so it seems.

The weekend is over and I finally have my rig working again with 10.5.4 so I am sticking to this version for now until someone comes up with a more reliable way of upgrading or better yet, I'd like to see a Kalyway 10.5.5 installer. Or maybe we can just wait until the next big software upgrade.

Ok, I screwed up and did the sw update to 10.5.5 and the system wouldnt reboot. I booted a DVD and navigated to /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions and deleted the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. System rebooted and all good. I did not follow the editing of the /System/InsallAtStratup/scripts/1 and replacing the line Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext with dsmos.kext. What are the ramificaitons?

Thanks!

So this is successful?