ALL Fan related issues HERE. Laptop fans, overheating, cold boot no fans +

00diabolic

Fan issues. Have them or not? How do you deal with them?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you have experenced overheating due to fans not turning on on your laptop?

• YES I have to go through steps to get my fans on. See question below.
    • No I have no fan issues or I have intermitate fan issues.
  2. 2. What do you have to do to deal with your fan not turning on?

• Power unplug, or sleep trick. Seems to work on Toshibas
    • Reboot when temp reaches certain number to get bios to turn fans on. Only Lenovo option that works
    • I use software to handle my heat issues like coolbook because my fans never seem to spin fast when needed.
    • My fans are on 100% full blast and are loud all the time. So I never overheat but I'm also losing my hearing.
    • I found a kext that fixes my fan issues and I am not sharing the info with the 100's of affected users here. You suck SHARE your info.

260 posts in this topic

TheMarine...

I tried all three smbios-files...

But no difference in fan-activity.

And it seems that the fans only react to cpu-activity on cold boot, and then only for a few minutes before getting stuck on one level.

Here is a new ioreg file from me, since I´ve changed a couple of things since last time...

:unsure:

Perhaps some of these issues stem from the removal of AppleHWSensor.kext. I think almost all installs remove this by default to speed boot time, but perhaps it has more use for laptops fan control?

That sounds VERY interesting... do you have that kext lying around somewhere? :)

I don´t have it, and I would love to try that one out. The name does sound like it could be relevant(hardware sensor?).

Thank you...

ioreg2.txt

Perhaps some of these issues stem from the removal of AppleHWSensor.kext. I think almost all installs remove this by default to speed boot time, but perhaps it has more use for laptops fan control?

Eddie11c glad you joined this thread.

Yeah that hardware sensor could be it. In my extensions folder I have AppleHWSensor.kext.orig. Which I'm guessing it renamed that way because it has issues with some systems loading. I am going to try to rename it back and post back results to see what happens.

With all of your input were sure to resolve this. THANKS AGAIN

Ztardust if you want to try it I attached the kext.

AppleHWSensor.kext.zip

Yes, it does. I have it loaded. I'd haven't noticed about this kext. It does even mention the fans inside it, the gpu-sensor, etc.

It for sure is the kext that establishes the needed properties for Sensors (and, we should see this reflected in ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin over ioreg.

Thanks eddie11c!

Yes, it does. I have it loaded. I'd haven't noticed about this kext. It does even mention the fans inside it, the gpu-sensor, etc.

It for sure is the kext that establishes the needed properties for Sensors (and, we should see this reflected in ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin over ioreg.

Thanks eddie11c!

Not so fast this kext does not load automatically at startup. I had to manually load it. Now I can use a deamon to keep doing this if this is the solution but why wont it load on its own?

We need to get a lil more info on this kext. Do all of you have it loaded when you go to kextstat? What does this kext offer to the system exactly? Does it have dependancies to do its magic?

Not so fast this kext does not load automatically at startup. I had to manually load it. Now I can use a deamon to keep doing this if this is the solution but why wont it load on its own?

We need to get a lil more info on this kext. Do all of you have it loaded when you go to kextstat? What does this kext offer to the system exactly? Does it have dependancies to do its magic?

For what i've seen, it "detects" (I really don't know from where) some of your mobo sensors (or others, still don't get it) and passes it to the device tree.

I've got it auto-loaded, can't figure why you didn't had it like that.

But... noticed any change in the prop's of ACPI_SMC_..... ??

Ok so far this is what I have tried to get the fans to go on cold boot. I tried TheMarine's ACPI_SMC_platform.kext and a few different SMBIOS files to see if those would have any effect on the fans. They did not.

I then tried AppleHWSensor.kext which I had in my extensions folder as AppleHWSensor.kext.orig. Not sure why it was named that way but it was. I renamed it and installed the kext but it will not load automatically. Had to manually load it and it does load but does nothing. Eddie11c you mentioned it having dependencies and from what I can tell it has none. Unless I'm really missing something.

So here is what I'm thinking. This kext must need to be edited to work with my machine properly. Perhaps then it would autoload. What makes this kext load in the first place or what kext calls this one? Does anyone know that? Is there a part of my IOreg that we can call into question as not fitting the apples standard hardware profile. Thus if we edited this kext to better match systems like mine this kext would load and fans would turn on. A lot of people have this issue and deal with it without a solution. I would like to get a fix to solve this problem for everyone.

Thanks for all the help. We are close to getting this I think so please continue to lend suggestions.

EDIT: I've been doing some research on AppleHWSensor.kext and I'm starting to think this kext maybe completely irrelevant to this fan issue. The reason for this is that it is intended to be a sensor for the system to measure temps yet is not needed on any of the intel mac books. Only older apple systems use this kext it appears. It also can be deleted and temperature sensors can still be read by apps like bresink temp monitor. So if its not even used on mac books how could this help with the fans on my system? I think we need to look elsewhere for our answer unless someone knows how to adapts this kext to feed the ACPI the temps of the cpu and then kick the fans on.

Here is a topic where AppleHWSensor.kext is discussed on real macs.

http://themacelite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=656

I fixed the dependencies in AppleHWSensor.kext, and it autoloads on startup...

But I can´t see no difference. The fans are like before, only seem to work properly on cold boot and then only for a few minutes(2-4 minutes), and then they get stuck on one level.

Temperature monitor, SMCFancontrol, FanControl, do not work correctly on my machine...

Any suggestion? Something I should try? B)

In the info.plist of the AppleHWSensor kext, the version numbers for com.apple.kernel.iokit and com.apple.kernel.libkern were not matching the versions I´ve got of those kexts, so I just changed it to match.

Perhaps the wrong thing to do..? But at least it loads up on startup now.

I´ve attached my modified AppleHWSensor.kext... but I guess you have to modify it to match the version numbers of your own kexts..?

AppleHWSensor.kext.zip

AppleHWSensor is usually only loading for the gpu sensor.

See thats what I thought. From what I was reading its not the right kext for this problem. Superhai can you help use find the right one?

See thats what I thought. From what I was reading its not the right kext for this problem. Superhai can you help use find the right one?

I´ve been looking at the temperature-related kexts and trying to fix dependencies to get them going...

What I´ve found is that AppleFan and AppleCPUThermo seem to be old(and probably irrelevant) kexts, AppleFan has copyright from 2003 and AppleCPUThermo from 2002-2004, and when I attempt to kextload these, then I get "does not contain code for this architecture"...

Do you have those kexts loaded?

AppleThermal does not autoload on my machine, but does kextload manually from terminal. I don´t know what it does, and it doesn´t seem to make any difference on my machine so far...

AppleACPIPowerSource I assume is just for checking if the machine is on AC or Battery power..

And then I am missing a kext called AppleACPIThermal which is supposed to be inside AppleACPIPlatform, and I also saw someone mention a kext called CPUPowerManagement somewhere, so if that kext exists then I am missing that one also...

If you guys have AppleACPIThermal I would appreciate if you send me a copy... :thumbsup_anim:

I´ve been looking at the temperature-related kexts and trying to fix dependencies to get them going...

What I´ve found is that AppleFan and AppleCPUThermo seem to be old(and probably irrelevant) kexts, AppleFan has copyright from 2003 and AppleCPUThermo from 2002-2004, and when I attempt to kextload these, then I get "does not contain code for this architecture"...

Do you have those kexts loaded?

AppleThermal does not autoload on my machine, but does kextload manually from terminal. I don´t know what it does, and it doesn´t seem to make any difference on my machine so far...

AppleACPIPowerSource I assume is just for checking if the machine is on AC or Battery power..

And then I am missing a kext called AppleACPIThermal which is supposed to be inside AppleACPIPlatform, and I also saw someone mention a kext called CPUPowerManagement somewhere, so if that kext exists then I am missing that one also...

If you guys have AppleACPIThermal I would appreciate if you send me a copy... ;)

Ztardust That was the very first thing I tried when fassel listed his ACPI_Platform.kext. If you look back at this thread youl find it listed here and ACPIThermal is in that kext. I have that one now in my ACPI_platform and it makes no difference to my fans anyway.

I just had to restart 3 times this morning to make sure the fans were on to avoid an overheat. AppleACPIpowersource is a made for hackintosh kext that allows our machines to know when they are on AC vs battery. Real macs do this differently and thus we need that kext. CPUpowermanagement is a bad one. That one gives me a kernel panic when loaded and causes usually a lot of problems with booting a hack. There is also Appleintel something that causes problems on hacks. Those are used for real macs to throttle the cpu i think. In any case that one is not the answer. Lets see what eddie11c or superhai think, do you guys have any other ideas?

I still think we are most likely going to need some kext modified kext to fix this issue. One of these kexts is it but what needs to be modified im still not sure. I hope we can narrow this down. Ztardust had no fans at all before he had ACPI_Platform and now he does so whats in that kext that caused his fans to at least kick on when above 100F. Which is exactly how hot mine need to be to get the fan to work in OSX. There has to be something we can edit to lower that number. Say to 85F and then always the fans would kick on because the temp is never lower then that at startup.

Lets get some more ideas and see what we can come up with here. THANKS ALL

I thought I would post as much detail as i could about the differences between my cold boot and warm boot. Today when I turned my machine on I got the standard cold boot endless temp climb. I figured I would run a kextstat, dmesg, and a ioreg on that cold boot and see if there were any differences between that and a warm boot of the same system.

I am posting basically a before and after snapshot of my system. There are 2 zipz attached one is cold boot where no fans are on and the other is warm boot where fan is working, and throttling up and down to regulate temp.

I wanted to post this first and see what people thought of it. I will be looking at these to see if there are any major differences today. Since my knowledge about IOreg is not that great maybe one of you will catch something I do not see.

THANKS ALL and I hope this will lead us to a solution soon.

Cold_Boot.zip

warm_boot_fan_on.zip

THANKS ALL and I hope this will lead us to a solution soon.

I looked at your files, there are no sigificant differences in your IOReg, kextstat and dmesg output. The dmesg output is basically useless as it is too short.

I have never used ACPICPUThrottle (or the speedstep kernel).

I looked at your files, there are no sigificant differences in your IOReg, kextstat and dmesg output. The dmesg output is basically useless as it is too short.

You use the vanilla one, too, right? or another? And the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement?

Yeah I noticed no difference either which really sucks. I dont think my problem has anything to do with ACPICPUThrottler. I have not had it running and the only difference is the system gets hotter faster. Without it I would be in worse shape when I am on a cold boot.

This has to be something with ACPI_SMC like I said before. No way that ztardust goes from no working fans to working fans once he installed that kext. There has to be something in that kext that communicates with the fans and throttles them i believe. If we can figure out how its doing that we can adjust it and fix this problem.

any help would be nice, guys

thanks...

Welcome to the thread. If you have any ideas were open ears here. Please provide your laptops full specs for us. You are the first HP laptop I have heard that has this problem. I would also like to see kext stat, ioreg, and anything else you think that will help. I want to figure this problem out as bad as you do. There are a lot of us that have this problem and simply deal with it instead of trying to figure it out. I hope in this thread we can figure it out.

I have to reboot again right now from a cold boot as my systems temp is climbing and my fan has once again not kicked on. This is an everyday annoyance that i really want to figure out. Anyone else have a possible idea or something they think we can test for this?

THANKS

Not sure if you guys had someone post this up but I don't get this from a cold boot. If you need any more info from me, let me know.

5/14/08 12:10:45 AM kernel ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - pmCPUControl (PMIOCSETPSTATETABLE) returned 0x478b880

First, a quick apology - sorry! I am on dial-up at work and can't work my way through the whole thread right now, will check back tomorrow. If on the off chance this question hasn't been tackled and someone knows the answer, it would be good to hear.

The fans of my two Acer Intel (santa rosa, gma x3100) laptops start up even when the screen is asleep and no applications are running. Certainly there is more fan activity than with Vista. I have been told that selecting to remove the thermal kexts during install is a must if you are using a laptop, to keep the heat down. I don't run any processor intensive applications so heat isn't a big issue with me. Could anyone tell me specifically which those kexts are and will the fans correspondingly come on less with their removal? Having lost an HP laptop to heat (Taruga patcher alc628/AppleHDA.kext - laptop appears to have fully shutdown, the screen is off, but in fact it hasn't; I wrapped the laptop in a sweater, put it in my daypack... hot smell, dead laptop) I err on the side of cautious. At the moment I am using Leo4allv3 with netkas 9.2.0 speedstep kernel. It runs noticeably cooler than Vanilla.

Not sure if you guys had someone post this up but I don't get this from a cold boot. If you need any more info from me, let me know.

5/14/08 12:10:45 AM kernel ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - pmCPUControl (PMIOCSETPSTATETABLE) returned 0x478b880

I got that message on boot, too.

By the way, 00D, i use AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, cause I can use with no prob's the vanilla kernel. By the way, what Superhai said... made think of something particular. If applehwsensor.kext loads for gpu fan... why it does appears on ACPI_SMC... on the cpu tree? It does just loads the gpu fan...

I think that something checks the temperature of the sensors and if it's above a certain temperature it actually kicks in for the entire time the system is on. I only think this because I can't honestly think of anything different besides the temperature when your doing a reboot.

This has to be something with ACPI_SMC like I said before. No way that ztardust goes from no working fans to working fans once he installed that kext. There has to be something in that kext that communicates with the fans and throttles them i believe. If we can figure out how its doing that we can adjust it and fix this problem.

First, there is no universal way that your computer controls the fans. They are different for each model, so one solution for one doesn't need to mean a thing for another. Do you have SMC on your computer?