About This File

Disk Utility from Yosemite 10.10.5 (ver 13 (606)) patched to run on El Capitan.

Note: After you have downloaded and unzipped the file, you need to let root:wheel take ownership of the app before the app will run...

sudo chown -R 0:0 ~/Downloads/Disk\ Utility.app

v1 Patching procedure from Restore old Disk Utility in OS X El Capitan, credit @Justus Beyer

v2 Patched with patch pattern from diskUtilityPatch, credit @dimosgmx

Debug menu can be enabled with

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

Advanced image verification options unlocked with

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility advanced-image-options 1

To turn off the above options, use the same commands in terminal but type 0 instead of 1.

What's New in Version 10.10.5   See changelog

Released

• v1 patched to run on El Capitan
  • v2 patched to run on Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hi fantomas,

The file is definitely from Yosemite 10.10.5 - see post#12.

Maybe it got corrupted since I uploaded this morning from USB drive off a Windows box (I'm at work at the moment :) ).  I'll check when I get home and upload from OSX.

EDIT:  Problem solved.  After you have downloaded and unzipped the file, you need to let root:wheel take ownership of the app ie

sudo chown -R 0:0 ~/Downloads/Disk\ Utility.app

before the app will run.

Share this comment

thank you , that's the only thing i do not like about El Capitan that disk utility , i was waiting to see if this was posible , if someone comes with the idea to use Yosemite disk utility in El Capitan or maybe a third party app. but you did it , i will say from all the years i been in insanely mac , this is the best thing ever , i hate that Apple remove the raid gui from EC disk utility no full screen either , so i had an extra drive with Yosemite installed just to use Yosemite disk utility , thanks a millions times , now i like El Capitan 100% no regrets now , thank you

Share this comment

thank you thank you!

Thank you a thousand times, I haven't been here for long, since I'm using a real mac, but, in need of help, I came back and I've found it!

Share this comment

1 question... is it safe to use repair permissions from the older version or dose not matter?

Verify/Repair permissions won't be possible with DU in El Capitan (even using the old version) - the option will be greyed out.

Share this comment

Great tool and thanks so much for sharing.  How can I get the debug menu to appear so I can show all partitions?  The terminal command in the past was defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1.  Maybe cannot be done?

Edited:

​Sorry I did not read carefully enough. I have to run the command(s) wherever the app resides.  :)

Share this comment

Sorry but it is not working here ~

10.11.1 on Skylake Hackintosh iMac 17,1 SMBIOS and it will not open - just bounces endlessly in the Dock. I have run the chmod command on the app. Here is the console output after opening the app 

11/24/15 9:27:18.197 AM CoreServicesUIAgent[1048]: Error -60005 creating authorization

11/24/15 9:25:31.000 AM kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: process 1038[CoreServicesUIAg]: rejecting invalid page at address 0x112147000 from offset 0x6000 in file "/Volumes/Data Center/marcushe/Downloads/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk Utility" (cs_mtime:1445717092.0 == mtime:1445717092.0) (signed:1 validated:1 tainted:1 wpmapped:0 slid:0)

11/24/15 9:25:31.378 AM diagnosticd[128]: error evaluating process info - pid: 1038, puniqueid: 1038
11/24/15 9:25:31.378 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.coreservices.uiagent[1038]) Binary is improperly signed.
11/24/15 9:25:31.388 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.ReportCrash[1043]) Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.ReportCrash

Ley me know!

Share this comment

Sorry but it is not working here ~

10.11.1 on Skylake Hackintosh iMac 17,1 SMBIOS and it will not open - just bounces endlessly in the Dock. I have run the chmod command on the app.

The command to use is sudo chown -R 0:0 ~/Downloads/Disk\ Utility.app, not chmod.....

Share this comment