About This File

Disk Utility from Yosemite 10.10.5 (ver 13 (606)) patched to run on El Capitan.

Note: After you have downloaded and unzipped the file, you need to let root:wheel take ownership of the app before the app will run...

sudo chown -R 0:0 ~/Downloads/Disk\ Utility.app

v1 Patching procedure from Restore old Disk Utility in OS X El Capitan, credit @Justus Beyer

v2 Patched with patch pattern from diskUtilityPatch, credit @dimosgmx

Debug menu can be enabled with

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

Advanced image verification options unlocked with

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility advanced-image-options 1

To turn off the above options, use the same commands in terminal but type 0 instead of 1.

What's New in Version 10.10.5   See changelog

Released

• v1 patched to run on El Capitan
  • v2 patched to run on Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Ok I'm a newbe here but let me tel you all... Using the old disk util is UNFURTUNATLY pointless. Use SoftRAID.  I tryed Disk Utils for a raid-0 of two identical 16gb usb keys and it fails in every ways I tried. Big Fails. The app do open but seeing that, I can't trust it on 10.11.1. SoftRAID dit it w/o any problems. I tried the USB keys maid with SoftRAID on a mac w/o it installed and it work, same scheme.

Ok I'm a newbe here but let me tel you all... Using the old disk util is UNFURTUNATLY pointless. Use SoftRAID.  I tryed Disk Utils for a raid-0 of two identical 16gb usb keys and it fails in every ways I tried. Big Fails. The app do open but seeing that, I can't trust it on 10.11.1. SoftRAID dit it w/o any problems. I tried the USB keys maid with SoftRAID on a mac w/o it installed and it work, same scheme.

I don't run El Capitan (I didn't give me it much of a shot so of course I could be very wrong about this )but i have a challenge for you, since you find it pointless. Take an MBR usb stick and try to convert it to GPT in El Capitan.

Yeah good one, I already try, got a point. But, that's not my point.  If I resume my tought, Yosemite version of Disk Utililities ON El Capitan CAN'T even make a raid without hanging. You got to admit, the castrated El Capitan own Disk utilities is safer, but useless.

The solution on 10.11.1:  castrated DU for real basic thing and image recovery (.img reads), yosemite DU for GPT, Images... and SoftRAID well... For RAIDs and partition.

Yeah good one, I already try, got a point. But, that's not my point.  If I resume my tought, Yosemite version of Disk Utililities ON El Capitan CAN'T even make a raid without hanging. You got to admit, the castrated El Capitan own Disk utilities is safer, but useless.

The solution on 10.11.1:  castrated DU for real basic thing and image recovery (.img reads), yosemite DU for GPT, Images... and SoftRAID well... For RAIDs and partition.

I undestand where you coming from. But for me I need to be able to use and convert between MBR and GPT disks. Restore and create disk images and so on. For all that, the new utility is ugly and complicated as hell and not to forget to mention it can't do some of those functions.

Thx Fusion!

For those who want to replace the original DU by the patched DU, just delete the old one and ditto the patched over the recovery or install terminal.

(without typing sudo)

-> into -/Applications/Utillities

-> after ditto, wheel it

sudo chown -R 0:0 Disk\ Utility.app

-> after restart OSX, fix permissions

sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

Cheers

NewBit

• Like 1

Downloaded both patched versions and installed, modified permissions and made entry with "defaults write"

I verified the update for the Debug menu using "defaults read com.apple.diskutility

{

DUDebugMenuEnabled = 1;

DUSavedDiskImageList =     (

"/Volumes/Backup_1"

);

"NSToolbar Configuration DiskUtilityToolbar" =     {

"TB Default Item Identifiers" =         (

DUToolbarVerifyImage,

DUToolbarInfoDisk,

DUToolbarBurnImage,

DUToolbarMountDisk,

DUToolbarEjectDisk,

DUToolbarEnableJournalDisk,

NSToolbarSeparatorItemIdentifier,

DUToolbarNewImage,

DUToolbarConvertImage,

DUToolbarResizeImage,

NSToolbarFlexibleSpaceItem,

DUToolbarOpenLog

);

"TB Display Mode" = 1;

"TB Icon Size Mode" = 1;

"TB Is Shown" = 1;

"TB Item Identifiers" =         (

DUToolbarVerifyImage,

DUToolbarInfoDisk,

DUToolbarBurnImage,

DUToolbarMountDisk,

DUToolbarEjectDisk,

DUToolbarEnableJournalDisk,

DUToolbarNewImage,

DUToolbarConvertImage,

DUToolbarResizeImage,

NSToolbarFlexibleSpaceItem,

DUToolbarOpenLog

);

"TB Size Mode" = 1;

};

"NSWindow Frame Disk Utility" = "139 221 740 585 0 0 2560 1417 ";

}

But, no debug menu in either patched version.

OSX 10.11.2

But, no debug menu in either patched version.

OSX 10.11.2

Sorry dude, I can't reproduce your problem in any of my systems.  Working well in 10.11.2 here....

Thx Fusion!

For those who want to replace the original DU by the patched DU, just delete the old one and ditto the patched over the recovery or install terminal.

(without typing sudo)

-> into -/Applications/Utillities

-> after ditto, wheel it

sudo chown -R 0:0 Disk\ Utility.app

-> after restart OSX, fix permissions

sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

I'm  a newbie

Thanks for all the infos I'm learning , included the permission repair by terminal 

I was hoping I could use the patched DiskUtility to do that but I guess I cannot

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this.

Disk Utility 10.11 wouldn't start as I have an incompatible Core Storage configuration.

Now I can use Disk Utility GUI again!

Thanks, saved my life when tried removing Windows partitions from HDD (especially after losing 250gb after messing with gdisk). 

Thank you very much! I tried to resize my boot partition with the new EC disk utility, but that PoS always refused to properly resize the partition which was about to be created. It always created 2 partitions instead of one when trying to resize the new one to the proper size, and then a popup with the partitions name always prevented one from clicking the partition I actualy wanted to resize. Also you have to scroll when you have more than a few partitions as you cannot resize the window anymore. No idea what drove Apple when making the new one... It sucks in every way: No hidden partitions visible anymore, no quick overview as you have to scroll when having more than just one HDD w/ partitions, not possible to create new partitions of already formatted volumes with a specified size...

​​

​It really was driving me nuts, thank you for giving me a working solution! Doing it via Terminal is another nice and viable solution, but why if there's this? :^)

Just noticed:

- The fisher price Disk Utility (that's the new El Capitan one) will erase diskimages in the same directory without a warning or any hint at all when having the same name as an image that's already there

- You cannot manage DVD—RAM discs with it

What an embarrassing peace of sheet.

So all in all: It's useless. Can't create partitions with a certain size (LOL), cannot manage images properly (LOL), cannot manage DVDs (LOL), isn't following Apple human interface guidelines (notice the animations, LOL), can't check file permissions (LOL).

Well done Apple, time to raise the prices and remove ports.

Ah, and don't forget the hidden partitions which are just Magic™ally invisible.

A company unable to write a GUI for a command line tool that is charging it's users 1k+$ for its devices.

Can't even manage TRIM with it.

How can we steal the source code and make our own open source Aqua interface? That way we could fix the bs way quicker.

THINK(!) different,

@JiJiLaVolpe,

Yes, just put it in a different folder (or give it a different name) to the original DU and you can use both.

Thank you good sir! I didn't even notice the changes to the new one till to day. Needless to say, its trash.

Edit: Patch 2 didn't work for me but the first one did(on El Capitan)

el capitan 10.11.6 works flawlessly here

thanks for this now am enjoying the old DU... 

cheers