OSx86 10.4.4 Leaked

Swad

141 posts in this topic

I have a hardware setup like the 1. devikit! no EFI.. I'm really curious what happend when I change the oah files, burn it down to a dvd and then start from this dvd!

But I think that: 1. Devkit or not, without EFI mobo nothing will happens :-S

You can get it at a very popular torrent download site right now.

Any PPC apps that don't require a G5 to run (virtually none do).

I tried to find on ISO Hunt Torrent Search. Official page of Bittorrent. Torrrent News but I found nothing. What should I write in search field. I tried osx86, mac os x 10.4.4, osx 10.4.4, but I found only osx86 10.4.3 and older.

P. S.

Thanks. I found it on PirateBay.

Lesser version releases are not a privilege. They're an update..

If Apple would release a standard basic OS X for use on non-Apple hardware that is classified as unsupported, they could PROFIT from the people who are not going to buy Apple hardware yet want to run OS X.

Get off the crackpipe dude. Apple would lose money on said version, and here's why (not that you care).

(1) 90% of the people clamoring for OSX86 on beige boxes are more likely to spend $200 on a hot overclocked video card and a 'L33T' case mod than on software that they can Warez off bit torreny.

(2) The support nightmare of supporting uncontrolled hardware and the associated costs would bury Apple, they lack the infrastructure and finances to do so. This very issue basically buried IBM's PSP division that was responsible for OS/2 Warp in 1995.

(3) Despite that fact that 10% of the potential users would understand that hardware support would be limited, the 90% of the world that doesn't would create a public backlash that would bury Apple in a PR nightmare.

(4) An unsupported version of OSX running on beige boxes, and the above issues would invalidate the core tenant of the Mac, 'It just works', and that would NEVER be acceptable in the Apple offices.

(5) It is far cheaper to mitigate the crackers with changes in each revision than it is to bring on an engineering staff to address the above issues.

In short, it won't happen anytime soon, and anyone that has a different belief is probably not living in the real world.

Bear in mind that I have started a small Mac dev company that is not as yet making ends meet, so a stronger Mac market is in my best interests, but this is not the answer, nor do I have any intent of going oit of my way to support cracked OSX installs, and I know full well that will offend some of you, but I recognize that the ones I just offended are unlikely to ever contribute a dime on my software efforts.

Reading many of these posts only confirms this opinion.

Get off the crackpipe dude. Apple would lose money on said version, and here's why (not that you care).

(1) 90% of the people clamoring for OSX86 on beige boxes are more likely to spend $200 on a hot overclocked video card and a 'L33T' case mod than on software that they can Warez off bit torreny.

(2) The support nightmare of supporting uncontrolled hardware and the associated costs would bury Apple, they lack the infrastructure and finances to do so. This very issue basically buried IBM's PSP division that was responsible for OS/2 Warp in 1995.

(3) Despite that fact that 10% of the potential users would understand that hardware support would be limited, the 90% of the world that doesn't would create a public backlash that would bury Apple in a PR nightmare.

(4) An unsupported version of OSX running on beige boxes, and the above issues would invalidate the core tenant of the Mac, 'It just works', and that would NEVER be acceptable in the Apple offices.

(5) It is far cheaper to mitigate the crackers with changes in each revision than it is to bring on an engineering staff to address the above issues.

Welcome to the Forums!

Just so ya know, I'm sure JE isn't on crack - like you mention above, hackers like him can barely afford to buy the warez they steal, let alone buy crack. :)

/Sarcasm

You make some good points, like the logistical problems with releasing OS X for everyone. But JE still has a good point. There are a ton of us who are just too poor to buy a Mac - I can't afford too much more than the 700-800 bucks that it costs to build a computer, not the twice that that a comparable Mac would cost . I don't want this to be a Mac vs PC pricewar thread, but building it yourself saves a lot.

But there are also many of us who love what Apple is doing with OS X and would gladly buy a copy of OS X if we could. Heck, there have been many people on this forum who have used the hacked version on their PCs and then went out and bought a copy of the PPC version, just so Apple would get money.

You make some great points, but it's also important to remember that there is a huge demographic of poor people (or college students) who would gladly give Apple 100-200 for OS X rather than 1000-2000 for a computer.

Firstly, certain members have the following attitude: why can't I run the latest version of OS X on my Wintel setup? Why can't they crack it faster? If you guys want it cracked faster, contribute to the effort somehow. If you're not too tech-savvy, don't just sit on your arse complacently, learn about the problem.

As to why I would love this setup: I want the freedom of triple-boot: Windows, Linux, and OS X. I wouldn't mind buying an Intel Mac as a laptop but I'd wait until 2nd generation. More importantly, I wouldn't buy an Apple iMac or Apple Desktop computer because I can quite simply build something better for less. Again, I want freedom.

As to paying for software: I think college students and younger should all have free reign over all software. Once they hit 21 or work for a corporation, then things can rightfully get expensive to pay back the developers. Software is a priceless learning tool for the young.

On to getting this setup running: someone should test this DVD on the Gateway Media Center PC that has EFI in order to see how far into the boot process they can get. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's only protection scheme aside from EFI is the already-cracked DRM chip.

Lastly, this is exciting stuff, guys; maybe we can get a fully functioning setup working on almost any x86 machine in the weeks ahead!! Wooohooo!!

Once again I see a million questions on this thread that are worthless to ask... Even if someone were to answer it for you, what truth do you expect to get in an answer when all that any of us can do is at most (perhaps intelligently) speculate?! Yes it's great that 10.4.4 is out there! Perhaps all the many appreciated, awesome contributors to our community like Maxxuss, JaS and others can start to work on the incredibly daunting task of getting an EFI based OS to work on all of our non-EFI systems. I wish them good luck and offer any help I can, but I find it incredibly Selfish for any of us to ask when it will be done, as if the files haven't just been leaked, and as if all these tireless slaving hacker friends of ours don't dedicate countless hours of their lives to this already!!

So to the point of my rant: I just think we all need to be a little more patient in this process, and a lot more appreciative of those who work so hard to make OSx86 work for the rest of us.

To answer all the impatient, useless questions to which there are no answers: *Nobody knows how, what, when, where, and in what color or designer scent 10.4.4 will work on x86 hardware yet... And maybe, if we are all lucky, patient, and supportive (as in offer your help) of our hacker friends who have done all of this wonderful work already, they might find the time and patience themselves to work on it. Until then, relax, enjoy your 10.4.3 8F1111A if you're lucky enough to make it work, take a deep breath, and get ready for what I think might unfortunately be a long long wait.

;) As for myself, I would like to extend my sincerest gratitude to all of our developers (most notably Maxxuss and JaS) any offer any help I have to give with my own limited hacking / UNIX / FreeBSD, etc experience. All of you are welcome to reach me at my public email: jbjonas@hotmail.com -Thanks for listening... :pirate2:

First of all id like to say i wish it was me who said

"Viva la x86! I must get to my hackintosh!"

but secondly wooooooooooooooooooooooooo this totally Rockz cant wait to use 4.4 ;)

"Viva la x86! I must get to my hackintosh!"

... take a deep breath, and get ready for what I think might unfortunately be a long long wait.

I think that's a very important point. Personally, I don't side with the optimists who say that EFI is no big deal and we'll get past it in only weeks, and even some who are ignorant enough to think they can pop the uncracked DVD into their EFI-supported systems and it will "just work." At the same time, I don't side with the pessimists who say that EFI is an obstacle that's impossible to get past, or those who say they we should give up hope, reach into our pockets, and buy an iMac.

The fact that 10.4.4 leaked isn't something for the common user to rejoice about. It's something for hackers and able-bodied people to be happy about. And in time, through the fruits of hard work, the common users will have an opportunity to finally celebrate.

Don't pop the champagne cork quite yet, but keep it chilled and ready to go.

Windows Vista uses an EFI emulation layer in its boot loader. Something similar will probably have to be done until motherboard manufactuers start to released EFI based boards, and until now there really has been no reason too.

It seems to me the easiest course of action would be to patch together the 10.4.3 installer with 10.4.4 system files. I don't know too much about efi and how tightly it will integrate with drivers and kernel and such, but the kernel and most drivers are or will be available through darwin. A 10.4.3 kernel, drivers and installer with 10.4.4 "everything else" might be made to work fairly well. Still time consuming and difficult to peice together but probably more doable than some sort of efi emulation.

We don't know if mixing files from 10.4.3 will work to an extent, or even at all. We know the ATi kexts rely heavily on EFI and a lot of people aren't happy with how buggy the 10.4.3 kexts are. Personally, I'm content with 10.4.3 except for the driver issues, so if it keeps the 10.4.3 kexts, it defeats the purpose of bothering to upgrade.

Making a MacFrankenstein isn't a readily accepted option for most people. The EFI emulation layer seems like the best idea. It guarentees that everything will work as its supposed to without sacraficing anything.

Besides, if we use parts of an outdated beta operating system, in the end, I'd ultimately consider the 10.4.4 cracking project a total failure. It's sort of like giving up and taking an easier route. Hackers should aim to keep every last file up to par with what would be found in an iMac, using whatever method works best, whether it be adding an EFI compatability layer or not. Only then should they be given any bragging rights.

I just completed downloading the torrent. Looks like the real thing. It appears to be the same as a standard retail install version DVD, with the addition of a hardware testing package. It lists as version 8G1165, with a build date of 01/04/2006

Sample Implementation and Toolkit

Intel has made a sample implementation of EFI freely available to developers.

This is a portable implementation of the interfaces of the EFI Specification. The implementation is designed for integration with an existing underlying BIOS or firmware implementation, and this code will work equally well on an IA-32 or IA-64 based system.

The EFI Application Toolkit is a set of tools that support rapid porting and development of EFI applications. These tools promote a uniform preboot environment on IA-32 and IA-64 platforms. The components are available as reference source code, which is free to developers. The toolkit includes a Standard C library with wide character and local support, the EFI Shell and utilities, a TCP/IP networking stack and networking utilities, and so on.

http://www.intel.com/technology/efi/agreetoolkit.htm

Well I installed the apps from the 10.4.4 Optional Installs package on my 8f1111g build (Safari, X11, iCal, etc...) and they all broke. Missing symbols in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib. I'm posting this from Camino. :P Guess I'll pop in the 8f1111g and put it all back.