OSx86 10.4.4 Leaked

Swad

141 posts in this topic

Hoorah, Hooray... today MAXXUSS posted on his site that he will indeed be working on patches for 10.4.4 on his site. It is the same copy I'm sure most of us already have downloaded from ARRRGGGHH bay.

MAXXUSS.... u r my hero... heh heh heh

guess he wasn't dissuaded by apple's new DO_NOT_STEAL_OSX.kext

I have a suspicious feeling about this leaked dvd.

First off, it doesn't fit on a standard DVD, you need a DL to burn it, IF Apple was going to go down that route, they would have included all the Bundled Software on it and not have to supply a 2nd disc. Apple has always supplied 2 regular DVD's with thier latest machines. 1 for the install, and 1 for the Bundled Software.

I burned this image directly to a DL DVD and tried to boot off it on my G5, no luck, gives me a kernal dump. I can boot the 10.4.3 DVD on my G5 and install it.

Can somebody that has an Intel iMac, please just use Disk Utility to make a compressed image of there DVD and tell use what size you get.. In fact if you just do a Get Info on your install DVD and tell us what size it is. Because I do have a feeling that this is not the real thing, or something is corrupt with it.

I have attached the G5 Install Disc Get Info and the Leaked Intel iMac DVD Get Info for reference.

post-21112-1138901465_thumb.png

post-21112-1138901622_thumb.png

in the boot section its got PPC and i386, so it should boot on either machine. but that is strange in itself, why make an intel restore disk that can boot a PPC machine? surely only OSX you buy from the store would be dual-booting? Unless this is a test-disk, a beta version leaked directly from Apple's labs...? the stuff on there is real enough though. i tried installing it, and it died when it tried to load "don't steal OSX.kext" lol.... :pirate2:

no, i don't have any DLs, and even though I removed Xtools I couldn't shrink the actual size of the ISO container... do I just burned the dmg to a regular dvd (UDF mode), then mounted it in osx86 and installed it.... not the way you're supposed to do it, but I was curious lol. it went ok, but when i rebooted i got lots of EFI stuff and then it wouldn't go past don'tstealosx... infact, it couldn't even load it, which is why it died. :star_smile:

(before you say anything - i know we can't use it as it is. i just wanted to see if there were any machine checks on the installer. it didn't say "you can't install on this machine")

145_xidgalbook-1.2.gif

Waiting for Shapeshifter Intel build port more than 10.4.4, 10.4.5, 10.5, ... until I die.

there is a shapeshifter intel build for osx - I'm using it right now, works perfectly (and very fast!). search the forums under "Applications", for a thread about shapeshifter, it has the link to the beta version (which seems as good as the "non" beta linux version to me.

no gui, but you can do everything through command line. to set it up, read about running it on osx ppc, configuration is the same.

I have a suspicious feeling about this leaked dvd.

First off, it doesn't fit on a standard DVD, you need a DL to burn it, IF Apple was going to go down that route, they would have included all the Bundled Software on it and not have to supply a 2nd disc. Apple has always supplied 2 regular DVD's with thier latest machines. 1 for the install, and 1 for the Bundled Software.

you answered your own question there. "Apple has always supplied 2 regular DVD's with thier latest machines. 1 for the install, and 1 for the Bundled Software." that's why it's on two dvds, why they used one DL dvd for the main install, and another dvd for the apps.

your logic is maybe a bit flawed - don't get paranoid about the larger dvd iso size my friend. It's quite logical:

- this is a unibin installer dvd - so it takes more space (even non unibin, it could take more space now than before for lots of reasons)

- they have always put extras on a second dvd, so why break with tradition? this is Apple - they care about presentation very much. two dvds sure looks better in the box than one, and one for os and one for extras is logical for updating also.

- if they could fit all on one DL dvd, why would they start now? DL has been around for a LONG time (all movie dvds are DL and most have been for years).

- if they can't fit all the install dvd's content on one SL disc, why can they fit all the install dvd plus all of the extras dvd on one DL disc? your logic there is flawed, unless I misread it (quite possibly my misreading).

- if they can't fit all the install dvd's content on one SL disc, why can they fit all the install dvd plus all of the extras dvd on one DL disc? your logic there is flawed, unless I misread it (quite possibly my misreading).

I just pulled my head out of my butt... I didn't even bother to look at the size of the EXTRAS DVD (it's DL 7.8gb) this explains why 7.8+4.7 = way to big. The installer (as you mentioned) just became bigger and needed a DL, and the EXTRAS dvd was already DL... Just thhrew me off guard to see a DL install disc when I am use to them being SL.

there is a shapeshifter intel build for osx - I'm using it right now, works perfectly (and very fast!). search the forums under "Applications", for a thread about shapeshifter, it has the link to the beta version (which seems as good as the "non" beta linux version to me.

no gui, but you can do everything through command line. to set it up, read about running it on osx ppc, configuration is the same.

hi, i've been waiting for shapeshifter for intel a pretty looooong time. i searched the forum as you said but i couldn't come up with that intel build. do you mind positing a link or sending me a pm? (all i found was "shapeshifter gives me this error, shapeshifter needs ape, etc"...)

:lol:

...poor people (or college students) who would gladly give Apple 100-200 for OS X rather than 1000-2000 for a computer.

Yeah, I myself am a college student and that is the problem EXACTLY... I mean, I have the 100-200 hell, Id probably pay 300 for mac OSX open for install on any PC, but I simply do not have 2 grand to spend on all the hardware too, and If I did spend that much... the Mac better be edible. :graduated:

Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about hardware compatibility issues, there are plenty of people working all the time just to get that printer up and running.. speaking of which anybody get a Samsung 4100 MFP working? :blink: Just kidding about that one (not really) but in reality, all of these people like Maxxuss are doing that work for Apple for free as we speak! Its a strong community that will enable Apple's profits to remain high.

Also just a personal opinion here but it seems as though apple could do to lower the cost of EVERYTHING, their monitors aint exactly the "shiznit" and the hardware within the computer probably only costs them like what, 700, which makes the markup outrageous!

i did a little bit of research on the image i downloaded. looks legit, but i can't try and boot it to see how far it will ga as i only have an athlon xp system. i did burn it on +R DL media. verbatim + alcohol 120 in windows gave me a readily mounted disk on my iBook. i've had issues w/ using fuji media for backing up iLife 06. burns fine in nero, but doesn't mount, and w/ alcohol, recognizes the empty disk but doens't begin burning. go figure. timeto sit tight and wait for maxxus to do his magic! :gun:

I think my Mac Mini is closer to the Duo architecture and may be able to boot this image. If it doesn't boot on my Mini, there's only the iMac G5 models between it and the iMac Core Duo systems. Someone with one of these systems (who probably is disgruntled with the quick "obsolescence" of their computer) should also give this a try and let us know.

:D Maxxuss is definitely the Linus Torvalds of OSx86. We'd all be lost without him! :gun:

I imagine this to be very machine specific, as well as using EFI. Chances are the DVD will need to be rebuilt to use elements from the previous DVD's. It would be nice to see a working clean installation of 10.4.4, though I would expect them to wait for 10.4.5's release (or work on this release until the 10.4.5 release) -- The public is the best beta testing you could have.

Have you ever thought about how much effort Apple will need to go through to keep this off other Intel machines? There will always be people who want something to run where it should not, and there will always be Apple trying to stop them. I don't see the people ending their goals anytime soon.

What all of you ppl don't realise is that a few years ago Micro$oft saved Apple by donating a few millions $$$. Obviously this was done with some mutual agreements between the 2 companies. I strongly believe that one o/t agreements was that OSX would never arrive in shops to be bought by the general public. The ppl at Microsoft are not stupid; they know how easy a Unix variant can be ported to another architecture (as demonstrated with Linux)

However over time it was clear that PPC-processors would not keep up with current trends in general computing and therefore Apple had no choice then to look for another company to source cpu's for next-gen machines. Unfortunatly this lead them to Intel who is in the best position as far as performance processor technology is concerned (they nicked the StrongARM technology from Digital and PA-Risc technology from HP remember?).

So I'm sure Apple is in a very awkward position now. Since their next-gen Macs bear a slight resemblance with orinary PC's and they therefore unwillingly opened their own Pandora's box. They're balancing a very thin line now. One mistake and they face huge lawsuits from Microsoft. I'm sure of this. So they can never openly allow Mac OS X86 to run on joe public's PC.

Think about this.

EPDM

Heh.

Remember that Apple is all about appearances and packaging (as someone mentioned above).

How much do you want to bet that the MAIN reason they went with EFI is so they can have that Apple *BWOW* sound when you turn the machine on. Conventional BIOS would never allow that.

Heh.

Remember that Apple is all about appearances and packaging (as someone mentioned above).

How much do you want to bet that the MAIN reason they went with EFI is so they can have that Apple *BWOW* sound when you turn the machine on. Conventional BIOS would never allow that.

I think that's a great concept! It's just the sort of thing Steve Jobs would insist upon! :D

I'm too cheap to run out and get a dual-layer DVD. Actually, I think my DVD burner only supports single-layer anyway. I guess my good friend VMware will have to help me out with this again.

BTW, it's probably been said before, but does VMware have any EFI emulation? Technically this program is supposed to emulate a number of hardware setups for different situations, so I don't see why it shouldn't. Even if it doesn't yet, it should soon. I'm sure if Vista heavily uses EFI, we'll see this feature appear in VMware in no time.

Heh.

Try turning on a Sony machine.

About installing OSX without DL DVD:

If you have a 2. partition, go to disk utility, Restore Disk, select the source (your dmg file), then select destination (your 2. partition) and then restore.. after that you can select the start volume, and restart!

thats it, and it will start directly 10.4.4 :-)