Full Install Guide GA P35-DS3P

socal swimmer

314 posts in this topic

DWells55, mine seems to default at 1.31xxxx (A bunch of digits after 1.31) in the BIOS when it's set to 'Normal' and this is with it running at 3.2GHZ, though I need to check what voltage it's running at from within Leo or Vista and I haven't done so yet.

Oh, and setting my RAM multiplier to 2.0 makes this system soooo much more stable, thanks man.

I have the beta kexts and it auto-detected my LCD model + native resolution which is also 1440x900, it looks a million times better than 1024x768. I recommend installing them unless you're worried about them messing up with your install.

It is possible for CPUs to vary batch to batch and I think even CPU to CPU for the default vcore. So if you're stable at 1.31, keep it there. I was going to overclock more but I just checked my system temps and thanks to the heating in my dorm, my CPU temps are up a solid 6C already. I'm worrying if I'm going to have to turn down my video overclock in XP now. Oh, and regarding the RAM multiplier, a lot of people say running RAM synchronous with the FSB (ie, matching speeds) like I do and the way you have it now doesn't make much of a difference, but personally I think it's a really good idea whenever possible. Glad to hear I could help you; I'm actually new to CPU overclocking myself - this PC was built over my winter break and was the first CPU I've overclocked.

I just got the system dual booting perfectly. I have the DVD drive still on the ICH9R controller in IDE mode and the OS X drive on the other controller in AHCI with my Windows drive in IDE on the ICH9R controller. I just hit F8 at boot and pick my drive. Windows is booting and functioning perfectly :D I'm going to stay in Windows for the time being until I get Office 2008 for OS X, since I have Office 2003 on XP and I need it for my classes at the moment. So I'm going to give 10.5.2 another week since i should have Office 2008 by then and if 10.5.2 isn't out I'll give those kexts a shot.

Thanks again to everyone for their help. Once I have Office I'll be able to do all of my homework and Java programming under OS X and only need Windows for gaming. It's great to have this working so well so far. I'm hoping once I bring my PC home over spring break and let my parents try out OS X that they'll finally listen to me and get a real Mac. They're both fairly tech-savvy and have been wanting a stylish compact computer to match the living room and are a bit afraid of switching away from Windows, but I hope I can talk them into picking up an iMac.

followed your nice guide,

installed fine, everything went nice and as described,

now I run into that final boot error, when trying to boot into the installed Leopard the first time.

Grey Screen and hit reboot.

-v gives me the following messages at the end and freezes

------....Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

MAC Framework successfully initialized

Using 16384 Buffer Headers and 4096 Cluster IO buffer headers

IOAPIC: version 0x20 vectors 64:87

ACPI : System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components: use only one style.

Extension "com.apple.driver.ApplePCIConfigurator" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components: use only one style.

Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has i

----frozen

not sure why this happens, just found that disabling LPT and Parallel Ports in the Bios influenced where the last line freezes :censored2:

but its only a matter of letters, eg.: ..has imm or .. has i ( like above)

now going to try to delete the AppleEFIRuntime.kext and see if that helps

my specs :

GA P35 DS3P

Q6600 G0 Stepping

Sparkle NVidia 8800GT

EDIT : after deleting AppleEFIRuntime.kext

and shifting some Bios Settings ( CPUID limit, HT Support, HPET enabled/disable/ 64/32 bit) I keep getting further but not till final boot,

----- last message was via "-v -x" and "-v" ..... /usr/sbin/ocspd[68]: starting (or [69])

I have no idea what to do

cheers thanks in advance

Tyler

followed your nice guide,

and shifting some Bios Settings ( CPUID limit, HT Support, HPET enabled/disable/ 64/32 bit) I keep getting further but not till final boot,

----- last message was via "-v -x" and "-v" ..... /usr/sbin/ocspd[68]: starting (or [69])

Tyler

HT -off

cpuid -off

hpet- on, 64 bit

try booting with -v -f -x, if works try a normal boot.

did that already from the beginning, wasn't my problem though,

I got it right, just by deleting the Natit.kext, as it was my 8800 GT causing the freeze,

also deleted EFIRuntime and CPUPowerManagement before that.

the further and even more annoying problem I run into was the dualboot afterwards

as I wanted to install XP 32bit on the same disk, and it didn't recognize the Harddisks to install to, also having the problem of switching from and to AHCI/IDE and Disabled modes in BIOS......

this forced me to think over my whole procedure, resulting in a divided install on two different HDDs, its the simpliest way for what I need.

Leo worked beautiful btw, only Network was disabled, had to enable Wake on LAN after Shutdown under Windows XP.

Update to 10.5.1 also worked,

everything went fine all in all, thanks to you all, especially Socal Swimmer and this board.

Thanks a big time

Social Swimmer:

Thank you so much for your guide! I just recently bought a p35-ds3r, and your guide definitely helped ease my install.

However, there were still some hitches, so I figured I'd post them here, in case someone else had the same problems. I've tried a bunch of stuff, and continually updated this post. Thus, the stuff in Franklin Gothic Medium is the old stuff, or, the stuff that I've tried, but doesn't reflect the current setup/solution.

BIOS Stuff:

Man, activating the AHCI SATA bios stuff increases boot time by about 30 seconds! Oh well. But, I also enabled the LAN boot rom, which adds another 20 seconds or so (as you said in your post). However, the boot rom gives an option to configure it by pushing shift+F10. I did this, and told it to keep the rom enabled, but to always boot from the hard drives (and to not listen for a network boot signal). This brought the boot time down by about 20 seconds!

EFI and Install Stuff:

I patched my own DVD, and also used the Extensions/Boot speed up trick you mentioned. The dvd booted fine, and install progressed nicely. However, once I booted back into the dvd to run the PostPatch script, none of my hard drives (other than "Leopard" on first SATA channel), internal or external, would mount (my two PATA drives weren't even detected). The external drives were recognized, but no matter what, would not mount. Thus, there was no way for me to run the post patch! To fix this, I booted off of the Kalyway DVD, and ran the PostPatch from there. I also removed AppleEFIRuntime.kext.

Currently, I am running software update, and everything seems to be going well! My 7600GT is fully functioning (due to the postPatch installing natit, I believe), and I plan on having sound soon due to the alc889a patch and inject.

UPDATE: Software update went flawlessly! I'm now running 10.5.1, with Paragon, and I could not be happier (7 hours later, that is)!

UPDATE: I kept getting "Package 0 didn't get an HPET", so I deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, and they seem to have gone away.

===== Begin "The Journey Through Oblivion" Section =====

I tried installing Kalyway, but it hung (I waited about an hour) with "seconds remaining" on the install. I tried iATKOS, but that seemed to really mess with my EFI install (even though I selected EFI bootloader in the menus).

In the end, I manually installed EFI v8, installed using the ToH SSE3 Only disk, removed the AppleEFIruntime kext and am right now currently updating my system with Software Update.

Aside from a few problems, things are working ok. These problems are:

• Internal SATA drives show up as orange external drives without the USB symbol on them on the desktop
  • My CPU is recognized as a Core 2 Solo (when it's really a Core 2 Duo 6600)
  • None of my IDE drives are mounted (the only install disk that they would mount in so far, was Kalyway)
  • No Sound (I haven't used the fix yet)
  • No CI/QE (7600GT, haven't attempted to fix this yet, but know I can)
  • My SATA dvd-rw drive seems to get locked somehow by OS X (could be a fluke), and will not eject (the eject symbol hangs with a blue highlight)
  • Disk Utility and System Preferences crashes (this could be related to the previous item...)

I'll update the list as I get problems solved.

Once again, thanks for the guide, especially the proper BIOS options!

EDIT: System Preferences and Disk Utility both prevented me from rebooting (they would not force quit), so I had to do a hard reset once software update had finished. Upon reboot, I was presented with the Setup Assistant (who are you, do you own a mac, etc), and it would loop ad infinitum. I'm going to try the patched Brazilmac install again (the previous "successful" install was the ToH disk).

EDIT:: I reinstalled using my own patched DVD (brazilmac), and then booted the Kalyway dvd to apply the PostPatch off of my flashdrive. I got a TON of errors saying that it could not copy extended attributes on the extensions it was copying over. I think this could have been caused by me editing the patch files on my windows laptop. I went into Disk Utility and repaired permissions; it seems like all of them were fixed. I also renamed the AppleEFIRuntime kext while I was here. I also needed to reinstall the EFI patch, and did so (I believe it gets nuked everytime you erase the partition. Not repartition, just erase).

===== End "The Journey Through Oblivion Section" =====

Probably a newb question but I can't seem to get terminal to detect my usb drive

"go to Utilities -> Terminal

cd /Volumes <press enter>

cd thumbdrivename <press enter> (put a forward slash [ \ ] before spaces, apostrophes, etc)"

I typed this:

cd /Volumes

cd BRIAN\'S\ IPO

(The name of my ipod, and it says there is no such directory, I also tried it with my other USB flash drive named XMAS (I typed cd XMAX) and still couldnt find it)

What am I doing wrong?

Probably a newb question but I can't seem to get terminal to detect my usb drive

"go to Utilities -> Terminal

cd /Volumes <press enter>

cd thumbdrivename <press enter> (put a forward slash [ \ ] before spaces, apostrophes, etc)"

I typed this:

cd /Volumes

cd BRIAN\'S\ IPO

(The name of my ipod, and it says there is no such directory, I also tried it with my other USB flash drive named XMAS (I typed cd XMAX) and still couldnt find it)

What am I doing wrong?

First of all, make absolutely sure you are spelling it right. If you are sure:

cd /Volumes

pwd <press enter> (make sure that it says "/Volumes". If it does, good. If not, then you did not "cd /Volumes" correctly)

ls -a <press enter> (this will list everything in /Volumes. If your thumbdrive does not appear here, then it is really not being recognized. If it does, then it is recognized and you aren't typing it correctly)

This is what happens when I go through this process in terminal on my computer. I just used "echo "..." " to tell you stuff)

Last login: Thu Jan 24 18:53:50 on console
lewis-andersons-p35-ds3p:~ lewisanderson$ cd /Volumes
lewis-andersons-p35-ds3p:Volumes lewisanderson$ pwd
/Volumes
lewis-andersons-p35-ds3p:Volumes lewisanderson$ ls -a
.			ERGO_PROXY_VOL_02	Untitled 2
..			Mac OS X Leopard	lka40_backup
DELL			Untitled
lewis-andersons-p35-ds3p:Volumes lewisanderson$ echo "ok now I am plugging in my ipod"
ok now I am plugging in my ipod
lewis-andersons-p35-ds3p:Volumes lewisanderson$ ls -a.			ERGO_PROXY_VOL_02	Untitled 2
..			Mac OS X Leopard	lka40_backup
DELL			Untitled
lewis-andersons-p35-ds3p:Volumes lewisanderson$ echo "not recognized yet, so i will wait a moment"
not recognized yet, so i will wait a moment
lewis-andersons-p35-ds3p:Volumes lewisanderson$ ls -a.			ERGO_PROXY_VOL_02	Untitled
..			Lewis’s iPod		Untitled 2
DELL			Mac OS X Leopard	lka40_backup
lewis-andersons-p35-ds3p:Volumes lewisanderson$ echo "ok there it is!"
-bash: !": event not found
lewis-andersons-p35-ds3p:Volumes lewisanderson$ echo 'there it is'
there it is
lewis-andersons-p35-ds3p:Volumes lewisanderson$

is it possible you have 2 spaces in your iPod name or something?

Thanks for your fast reply, it wasn't showing up for some reason, but after I rebooted I got it to find it. Even disk utility showed my external drive being there. Now I shall slowly and carefully continue on..

P.S. I thought ls was Is or 1s for a while, glad to now know it's a lower case "L" :)

Thanks for your fast reply, it wasn't showing up for some reason, but after I rebooted I got it to find it. Even disk utility showed my external drive being there. Now I shall slowly and carefully continue on..

P.S. I thought ls was Is or 1s for a while, glad to now know it's a lower case "L" :P

lol yea

good to hear that you made progress

I have this thread on email notification :D

Got the DMI Pool Data hang error, so I double checked terminal when installing EFI, everything was okay. Restarted, now I'm getting the can't find com.Apple.boot.plist error.. lol So I pressed f8 and selected Mac OS X Leopard hard drive, and same exact thing happened. I was SO happy too, everything was going well until it smacked me in the face!

I'm going to try and start all over from the beginning to see if that will fix it. I will also probably remove my windows hard drive to avoid confusion. I was doing on such a good track...

Gotta love booting up the disc, it would probably take 1/100th as long if it wasn't for that... Spent like a total of 20 hours trying to get OSX to work so far... Only a couple hours using your guide/brazil so far though. Kalyway took up most of my time and didn't even end up working (even after I bought a SATA DVD drive, still got the missing essentials pack message, I probably accidently deleted some files that came with the torrent and didnt include them in the .iso)

Update/Edit

Still not working, going to call it quits for tonight. I read every post in this thread and I'm going to try out what Dwells said, "Enabling AHCI and using GUID resulted in the system booting to an apple.boot.plist not found or something along those lines, but reformatting and using the MBR method worked. The only weird thing is that my hard drive icon is orange and was recognized as an external Serial ATA 2 drive despite it being internal. Doesn't seem to have any negative effects though. Now to get sound working. As for video, I think I'm just going to hold off until 10.5.2."

and if that doesn't work I'll try a few more things, then begin begging for help. Might even make a video showing every step that I do.. or maybe even pay someone to install OSX for me i they live around Seattle, ha.

So sad to hear that, i thought something must be wrong cause we haven't hear from you for a few days...

Wish i can help but i don't have the experience to.

Don't give up! Wishing you best of luck!

Got the DMI Pool Data hang error, so I double checked terminal when installing EFI, everything was okay. Restarted, now I'm getting the can't find com.Apple.boot.plist error.. lol So I pressed f8 and selected Mac OS X Leopard hard drive, and same exact thing happened. I was SO happy too, everything was going well until it smacked me in the face!

Still not working, going to call it quits for tonight. I read every post in this thread and I'm going to try out what Dwells said, "Enabling AHCI and using GUID resulted in the system booting to an apple.boot.plist not found or something along those lines, but reformatting and using the MBR method worked. The only weird thing is that my hard drive icon is orange and was recognized as an external Serial ATA 2 drive despite it being internal. Doesn't seem to have any negative effects though. Now to get sound working. As for video, I think I'm just going to hold off until 10.5.2."

and if that doesn't work I'll try a few more things, then begin begging for help. Might even make a video showing every step that I do.. or maybe even pay someone to install OSX for me i they live around Seattle, ha.

Ok so you got past the DMI Pool Data error. That is a good!

If you want to try it, I provided a link in my original post for a way to speed up the boot time on the install dvd. That could help alot.

I think we can get past this error. I wouldn't try reinstalling yet. Here is what I think you should do from here, based on what you have said.

double check all your BIOS settings. If you want you can post a pic.

boot into the install dvd, and open terminal.

run the postpatch script again. Try to understand every output you get from it. If there are any you don't understand, post back and I will help you with them. It sounds like some of the kexts aren't getting copied correctly, which could make it so that your SATA drives aren't recognized correctly (hence the orange icons). This also explains the com.apple.boot... problem you have been having.

now you should remove natit so that it doesn't cause problems with your video card (if you are running a newer video card)

cd /Volumes/Leopardinstallpartition/System/Library/Extensions <press enter>

mv Natit.kext Natit.kext.post <press enter> (if you are using a new video card and you haven't installed 10.5.2, then that will cause problems. By deleting Natit.kext (renaming to .kext.post has the same effect) you allow the video card to work for sure, but with no cool effects)

cd .. <press enter> (moves back one directory)

rm -rf Extensions.mkext <press enter> (this deletes the cache, so that it can be regenerated with the updated kexts. Cache "regeneration" happens automatically no matter what.)

now restart, and cross your fingers

what video card do you have?

Well I was able to successfully install leopard. The only thing I chaged was GUID to MBR when partitioning the hard drive. However now when I try to boot up into leopard I get a b0 Error. I took a picture of the error, and my current bios settings. They should all be in line with yours. I'm going to now run the post patch script to see if it fixes it.

*Edit/Update*

Ran the post patch, didn't fix it.

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

So sad to hear that, i thought something must be wrong cause we haven't hear from you for a few days...

Wish i can help but i don't have the experience to.

Don't give up! Wishing you best of luck!

Well you thought right :P Thanks, I wont give up yet, I'm making progress, just very slowly over days and days :P

Well I was able to successfully install leopard. The only thing I chaged was GUID to MBR when partitioning the hard drive. However now when I try to boot up into leopard I get a b0 Error. I took a picture of the error, and my current bios settings. They should all be in line with yours. I'm going to now run the post patch script to see if it fixes it.

*Edit/Update*

Ran the post patch, didn't fix it.

Well you thought right :P Thanks, I wont give up yet, I'm making progress, just very slowly over days and days :P

lol thats the way progress goes....

b0 error means you need to make a partition active.

The b0 error occurs on bootup, if no partition is active. A solution to the problem is to insert the OS X install cd without pressing any key. When the install times out, OS X should boot from the harddisk.

To make a partion active, do this:

Start Terminal.app

Enter:

sudo -s (enter your password)

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (the disk number may be different on your installation, eg. rdisk1)

print (list all partitions)

flag 1 (sets partition 1 as bootable - might be a different number on your installation)

quit (answer y to save settings)

Now reboot the computer. You should now be able to boot without the install cd.

You were farther along before.... but ok

Before leopard wouldn't even install off the cd, it would crash not even halfway through, so I would hope that I'm further than before... But heres what happened when I tried that command. I get " Device could not be accessed" error. I tried to unmount the hard drive and try again, but still no luck.

IMG_2373.jpg

Before leopard wouldn't even install off the cd, it would crash not even halfway through, so I would hope that I'm further than before... But heres what happened when I tried that command. I get " Device could not be accessed" error. I tried to unmount the hard drive and try again, but still no luck.

IMG_2373.jpg

I have read that the message you got is ok, and to write anyways.

if you search around, the problem you have is very common, and there are many solutions.

Hello

Great thread and support.

I have an MBR installed Leopard 10.5.1 running perfectly on a IDE drive.

Today I tried to move to GUID with PC_Efi v. 8

After installing Efi and other pre-requisite I then clone my drive to the GUID formatted drive.

On reboot it get stuck on the Apple logo gray screen.

However, it reboot fine with Safe Mode.

Attached is a screen capture where the process get stuck on Verbose mode.

Machine spec is GA P35-DS3P.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

post-148800-1201472573_thumb.jpg

Hello

Great thread and support.

I have an MBR installed Leopard 10.5.1 running perfectly on a IDE drive.

Today I tried to move to GUID with PC_Efi v. 8

After installing Efi and other pre-requisite I then clone my drive to the GUID formatted drive.

On reboot it get stuck on the Apple logo gray screen.

However, it reboot fine with Safe Mode.

Attached is a screen capture where the process get stuck on Verbose mode.

Machine spec is GA P35-DS3P.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

post-148800-1201472573_thumb.jpg

hmm. It doesn't look like there is anything obviously wrong from that pic. Tomorrow I will see what my hackintosh displays after that line to see if I can gain an insight into your problem.

But first, a few more questions:

How did you clone it? Did you use disk utility or something else?

How long did you wait at this point (not that this is really an issue, just covering the bases)?

When I get back to my hackintosh, I will take a pic and compare it. Are you still on an IDE drive, or did you switch to SATA?

Anyone managed to get reboot/shutdown working with a p35-ds3 motherboard and a 10.5.1 vanilla kernel? The AppleACPI thing killled my install.

*edit*

Apparently the problem was with the caches. I redid everything and found the same problem, but I realized that if I booted with -f everything worked. So I deleted all the contents of my Caches folders and Extensions.mkext and everything seems to work now.

I still get "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35" all over the place in my console though.

Social Swimmer, Thank you for your reply.

First I booted from a DVD install and created an image of my already running Leopard 10.5.1 using disk utility.

Then after installing Efi 8 on an external GUID formatted USB drive I restore the image to the USB drive, again using disk utility.

I didn't want transfer the Efi 8 GUID install on any of my internal drive IDE or SATA before knowing it'll run or not.

I decided to clone an existing Leopard rather a fresh install since I have information on my address book, iCal, bookmarks which I didn't have to go through inputting it again.

If you meant waiting to see whether I'll get pass the Apple Logo gray screen, then I probably waited around 4 to 5 minutes.

My MBR install boots to the desktop in about a minute or even less. it's faster than my Windows XP. :)

Another funny thing, for a while, in Safe Mode I could change my monitor resolution to 1600 x 1200 when i thought it would disable certain extensions. Then after a third reboot into Safe Mode the resolution shows only one option.

Again thank you for helping out.

EDIT: ah also, on the waiting question. I usually look at the blinking light on my external drive to see whether it was accessing the disk or not. Unlike my MBR drive which would blink profusely when rebooting, on the GUID install there was an ample time where the external drive wasn't being access and that's when I decided it wasn't going to make it.

Booting into Safe Mode also shows that the disk was being access just like when I normally boot the MBR drive.

After searching and searching for a Motherboard for the last 6 days I found other like minded people and will be getting my GA-P35-DS3P (rev. 2.1) tomorrow, altho they are having some shipping issues here in Thailand from Singapore so that may be delayed :(

Started off looking at X38 boards, then looked deeper and realized they would be to expensive to fully enjoy and thru this search I found my way to the P35 chip and after looking at offerings from Asus and Gigabyte, the GA-P35-DS3P (rev. 2.1) is clearly a great choice.

I have Kalaway running on an old Alienware right now, not vanilla, EFI, GUID, but its really slow so am going to build this box over the next week as parts roll in. Am going to read this thread and practice as much as I can on my Alienware but after seeing this thread, I felt more comfortable making my choice. I hope I can be of help to everyone as much as social swimmer and thanks social ... if it was not for this thread, i would still be mentally masturbating over which board to get, not sleeping well, and getting angry looks from my girlfriend (who was so cool for spending 3 hours with me today at the IT mall here in Bangkok).

In regards to CPU and Memory, do you guys think there is any advantage to getting >800 Memory? I can snag 8GB 800 Geil Memory pretty cheap, but 4GB 1000 Geil is the same price as the 8GB.

The CPU... 45NM Dual vs. Quad?

I'm on the fence

thanks for any feedback.. i want a screaming machine!!!