Full Install Guide GA P35-DS3P

socal swimmer

314 posts in this topic

Hey all, building the rig and install went very smooth. Like some people, network works after install but having some issues with back to my mac and have heard other people complain as well and logmein, etc. I hear installing the drivers for 8111B solves those issues.

Any decent info on installing the 8111B onboard NIC drivers?

long time listen: When I used brazilmac, the ethernet worked out of box. You could try downloading the brazilmac postpatch folder and loooking inside it for the new extensions. From there, take whichever ones look good (probably IOAHCIFamily.kext and IOHDIXController.kext).

genin: ok that means the patch did better, but still did not complete. how far did you get? Did you get into the installer?

So, now I know why it couldn't find some data.

Because the patch removed e.g. the x11user stuff. And I tried to install it....

but know it starts the installation and runs nearly to the end.

and then it says that it cant open and check the additionalspeecvoices...

I will have a look if the script deleted it....

or is this a known problem?

I admittedly used Kalyway just for the time saver, I need to be up and running for Monday work. It really went very well. I am going to put a second HD into the box and follow your directions to the T tho and compare performance, etc. Will post full report.

I have got the Brazil zip, but am wondering if I can use my retail copy of 10.5 with those patch files. I have been trying to download the 9A581 10.5 torrent for 2 weeks now to noavail. I wonder how I can tell what version my retail copy is?

Some Kalyway notes:

my memory (4GB ) is working just fine under Kalyway. Are you still having memory issues?

the network issues has been resolved, turns out the computer went to sleep last night and that is why back to my mac was not working.

About my mac states that I have an "Intel Processor Unknown"

Need to run disk fix so my harddrives do not appear as external

have not tried time machine yet, but seems to be working

Not so happy with GT8800 performance, seems sluggish, hope they sort out the drivers for that

More notes to follow as I finally have my rig up after all these weeks!

So, now I know why it couldn't find some data.

Because the patch removed e.g. the x11user stuff. And I tried to install it....

but know it starts the installation and runs nearly to the end.

and then it says that it cant open and check the additionalspeecvoices...

I will have a look if the script deleted it....

or is this a known problem?

hmm. That would be a good thing to check. I have never heard of that. I know that when you start the install you should uncheck everything you possibly can.

I had my install fail the first time I did it. You could always do it again to see if it goes farther..

I admittedly used Kalyway just for the time saver, I need to be up and running for Monday work. It really went very well. I am going to put a second HD into the box and follow your directions to the T tho and compare performance, etc. Will post full report.

I have got the Brazil zip, but am wondering if I can use my retail copy of 10.5 with those patch files. I have been trying to download the 9A581 10.5 torrent for 2 weeks now to noavail. I wonder how I can tell what version my retail copy is?

Some Kalyway notes:

my memory (4GB ) is working just fine under Kalyway. Are you still having memory issues?

the network issues has been resolved, turns out the computer went to sleep last night and that is why back to my mac was not working.

About my mac states that I have an "Intel Processor Unknown"

Need to run disk fix so my harddrives do not appear as external

have not tried time machine yet, but seems to be working

Not so happy with GT8800 performance, seems sluggish, hope they sort out the drivers for that

More notes to follow as I finally have my rig up after all these weeks!

9A581 means 10.5.0. They just used the letters and numbers to distinguish it from beta builds of 10.5. The script should work on 10.5.1 as well. If you used kalyway, that should be fine. However, based on those problems, it sounds like it would be a good idea to add those patched kernel extensions. When you install from a brazilmac patched dvd, it installs a normal (non-osx86) version of leopard. The postpatch is what allows your install to work on osx86. So if you add those post patch extensions, most of those problems should dissappear.

Time machine probably requires a fix (it did for mine) though that could have been done through kalyway. You can find that in a sticky in the installation forum here.

8800GT should be fixed by 10.5.2, though you may have to add a newer version of natit or nvinject. you can search for that.

I figured out how to make it so that only 2GB of memory are used by OS X, so I did that, and have had no problems since. I am thinking that something I did, or something unique in my setup, caused me to have these problems because they are not widespread. So I need to figure out how to fix it. Actually, I am almost sure that something is trying to access memory that doesn't exist, which means one of my kernel extensions is faulty.

thanks for the feedback, and i will be excited to hear it!

Ok, now it installs correct.

I applied the PostPatch...

And when I will boot the system from the hdd it says: Mach-0 file has bad magic number...

Waht's that?

ok I just googled it and it sounds like there is something wrong with the efi patch on the partition. When you installed efi, if you read the script, you notice that there are 2 dd commands. the first one copies to /dev/rdisk0, which is the drive. This causes the bootloader and boot options to appear. The second one gets copied to /dev/rdisk0s2, which is a partition. When you choose a partition at boot, the second file gets called. your error means that this second one is corrupted.

in short, reapply the efi patch and you should be good to go.

Anyone here has working EFI strings for(graphics,sounds and TM) for this mobo(P35-DS3P)?

in (.plist) format..where i can tweak and modify some properties...tnx

does kalyway dvd works perfect in this mobo??

What do you mean?

TM was fixed by a kernel extension from this forum, graphics worked out of box but really depends on which card you get, and the sound fix is detailed in the guide.

If you could explain what you mean, I would really appreciate it. I am curious now.

Kalyway works but you may have to use some brazilmac postpatch stuff.

in short, reapply the efi patch and you should be good to go.

What do you mean?

If you could explain what you mean, I would really appreciate it. I am curious now.

I think the poster is refering to:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,104.0.html

more details here:

http://forum.netkas.org/

& here

http://netkas.org/

I had very mixed results with gfx strings on a 8800gt, if someone went to the hassle of working out audio - much kudos to them....

looks like it's already been done, he got multichannel working to...

Started by Thrawnhex, Message by dublove

Relevance: 71.4%

Quote from: FavleX on February 01, 2008, 09:37:30 AM

HI.

I'm going to get some fun with the string on DS4.

A question for dublovewhen u say your ALC889 is working spot on u mean u got multichanell output?and u can remove the kextpatched related from your extensions directory?

Hey there, well I tested each output and it works. Can have one app play different music through one and another app playing through another output. Got to keep the modded applehda.kext in there apparently. I've not tested it without that mind. I'm not able to test the digital though as i've nothing to hook it up too.

I'm more worried about my ds4 and its annoying reboot cycle issue atm

I think the poster is refering to:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,104.0.html

more details here:

http://forum.netkas.org/

& here

http://netkas.org/

I had very mixed results with gfx strings on a 8800gt, if someone went to the hassle of working out audio - much kudos to them....

looks like it's already been done, he got multichannel working to...

no one tries here that efi strings for this mobo....??i think consolation have an idea for waht im talking about...

@consolation..you have working strings?? post ur .plist

What is the difference between P35-DS3P and EP35-DS3P ?

The Mach-O file was 0 MB....

So I just recopied the file and it was the right size.

But the sound fix dosen't work.

There where some errors while copieing files with a "." before the filename. I mean that are invisible files right?

no one tries here that efi strings for this mobo....??i think consolation have an idea for waht im talking about...

What is the difference between P35-DS3P and EP35-DS3P ?

From what I have read, its just energy savings. Maybe other stuff (in terms of specs) but it is also fully compatible.

@socal swimmer

does your P35-DS3P has a working RESTART,SLEEP, SHUTDOWN? does ethernet function well? like file sharing and seeing other computer in the network??

any problems encountered?

what revison and bios version of your P35-DS3P?

Sleep is working, restart and shutdown usually work (mostly depends on how my computer feels at the time). internet works, and I can connect to, file share with, and print using other computers on the network if I use their IP address. However, they usually don't appear in Finder unless I connect using the IP address.

I regularly use a network printer (I know the IP address), connect to a 1TB network hard drive (again thru IP address), and connect to my dad's iMac (using IP address).

I have revision 2.0, and I don't know about the BIOS.

The Mach-O file was 0 MB....

So I just recopied the file and it was the right size.

But the sound fix dosen't work.

There where some errors while copieing files with a "." before the filename. I mean that are invisible files right?

How did you copy it? Single user? terminal in dvd? Using terminal in the OS?

The "." depends on where it is. For example:

in "./path/to/file.kext", the "." just means the path to your current directory. So if you wrote it out, it would be "/current/directory/path/to/file.kext"

However, if you have "/path/to/.file", then the "." does make it invisible. So if the "." is at the beginning of the path, then its usually ok. However, if it is at the beginning of a file name (like when you use "ls") then it makes it invisible.

Where did you see that error?

Try doing the sound fix all the way through a few more times. For me, it failed the first time but then worked later.

Does anything appear under system preferences -> sound -> input/output?

I tried using a string for my GT a while ago, when the string thing was new; didn't get much luck, but things have moved on quite far since then. On netkas' forum there is a string for our audio which gives multichannel and ins, it's from as DS4 board -no reason it shouldn't work on DS3s with 889. I haven't tried as I'm a bit pressed for time in the last few weeks. I'll probably wait till 10.5.2 comes out then sort sound and graphics out when I get a bit of spare time. Until then, well I'm secretly hoping someone will do the hard yards before me... :)

ok so I got audio working using efi strings, but still only 2 channel. I am going to keep going, but here are my notes so far:

SOUND STRINGS:

download gfxutil, copied to /usr2/gfxutil for use of accessing

-http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,64.0.html

follow instructions for sound:

-http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,104.0.html

to get plist to work- had to delete spaces, maybe change "Apple" to "Apple Computer", save without ".plist"

-to make the hex file using gfxutil, had to put full path ("/gfxhexA.hex") for output file

plug in to com.apple.Boot.plist as per guide,

delete (mv to .post) ALCinject.kext, AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.

- (Keep AppleHDA.kext)

reboot and cross fingers?

and one more thing I have to do:

things to do for comp:

use latest smbios from pc_efi or vanilla smbios, together with appleefiruntime.kext

-will fix dumpPanic[28]:error getting a reference to IODeviceTree:/options

EDIT::

and...

I am wondering whether that poster got surround sound, or just front and back headphone output. Cause I went through the process and surround sound doesn't appear in system prefs.

From what I have read, its just energy savings. Maybe other stuff (in terms of specs) but it is also fully compatible.

Sleep is working, restart and shutdown usually work (mostly depends on how my computer feels at the time). internet works, and I can connect to, file share with, and print using other computers on the network if I use their IP address. However, they usually don't appear in Finder unless I connect using the IP address.

I regularly use a network printer (I know the IP address), connect to a 1TB network hard drive (again thru IP address), and connect to my dad's iMac (using IP address).

I have revision 2.0, and I don't know about the BIOS.

about the sleep restart shutdown....what do you mean mostly depends on how computer feelas at the time??

its not regularly working???

Does kalyway DVD works perfect in this mobo?

about the sleep restart shutdown....what do you mean mostly depends on how computer feelas at the time??

its not regularly working???

Does kalyway DVD works perfect in this mobo?

sleep works great

shutdown/restart: http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&amp...G=Google+Search

I would know if I used that, but I didn't. If you do use it, you will need to do some other stuff but I will help you if I feel generous (if you can think for yourself).

and...

I am wondering whether that poster got surround sound, or just front and back headphone output. Cause I went through the process and surround sound doesn't appear in system prefs.

To set up surround sound on OSX requires the use Audio Midi Setup.app that should be in your utilities folder. In it, hit command-shift-a to open up aggregate device editor (or selected it from the menu). You need to create a new aggregate device then in the structure box assign all the outs to it. It doesn't matter if they are head phones etc, we will fix it up later. The annoying thing is; you may find out that sometimes an in socket may have become an out.

Once you have an aggregate device, in the main Audio Midi Setup screen select it in the "Properties For" bob, hit configure speakers. Select Multichannel and 5.1 surround. The next bit is fairly self explanatory; if you click on the speaker button it will send some white noise to it - you assign which channel is being used with the bobs. Hopefully you end up with all your speakers working and assigned to correct channels. Click apply and done. Now Set the aggregate device as Default Output and voilá; multichannel sound.

In an ideal universe.... YMMV. It works well with some equipment - less so with other. Personally, the best I managed was 4.1 with centre being sent to the rear speakers. Also, the keyboard volume control ceased to work (volume control in apps, eg. VLC, iTunes works fine). So, I'm running in stereo mode with a low pass filter for the sub. When I boot to windows for gaming I switch it off and set multichannel.

AFAIK, this works a lot better with USB (eg HK's iSub) and digital outs than it does with analogue.

P.S. After setting up multichannel, don't forget to set up the stereo sound as well. Otherwise you might find that music comes out of pretty odd speakers. ;-)

Dear fellow enthusiasts,

I have had to reinstall OSX86 on my system cause the other one crashed for reasons unknown. I admittedly used Kalyway to do so (seemed easier at first ;) ), but it won´t boot, stays stuck as can be seen in the screenshot I´ve provided:

post-168233-1202402170_thumb.jpg

I chose the following options:

GUID EFI (320GB Samsung SATA-drive with only one partition formatted as such)

Vanilla kernel both options

NVinject (8800GT w/512MB)

gen. audio driver

no networking

System specs:

E4400 no OC

4GB PC800

NVIDIA 8800GT 512MB

NEC 3520 DVD-Writer on PATA

LG-8164B DVD-Rom on PATA

TOSHIBA SHD-1638 DVD-ROM on SATA

Samsung HD501LJ on SATA (Vista)

Samsung 320GB on SATA (MACOSX86)

Maxtor 3200 USB Device (500GB)

Seagate ST3200822AS (200GB) on SATA

Maxtor 6B160M0 (160GB) on SATA

I haven´t toyed with the install in any other way, this was merely the result after the first install.....

I´m at a loss as to why it won´t start up.

Any good thought´s come to mind, anyone?

Thanks for any input

hm. Hers some things that come to mind:

Unplug all those hard drives except your leopard one. Make sure you are in AHCI mode (in BIOS). See if it boots then.

/usr/bin/ocspd is network stuff, so I don't know if this is what freezes..

consolation- thank you for that! When I get some more time (probly saturday) I will attack that. Do you have the same motherboard?

On the back, there are 6 plugs. Which 3 did you get working?

consolation- thank you for that! When I get some more time (probly saturday) I will attack that. Do you have the same motherboard?

On the back, there are 6 plugs. Which 3 did you get working?

rev.2 ds3p. The plugs that work for me are: Line Out (aka "Built-in Speaker"), Sub/C Out (aka "Line Output") and front headphone socket (that's the header on your mobo, aka "Headphone"). The last one can be a bit iffy; the pins on the mobo can be connected as either AC97 or HDA audio. It makes little difference for os X (afaik), but can make things tricky in windows -if your case has an old school AC97 header - like many (most?) on the market still do.

To make this setup work in Vista you will need to go to Gigabyte's website and download the realtek driver and utility. This will enable hot plug detection. After you install the driver, unplug and replug your speakers one by one; you will be asked what speaker you plugged in and can assign the surround to the headphone socket. (You can use any other socket for you headphones... or, I find it easier to use the desktop remote for my speaker system - if you have one)

The problem occurs if your headphones are connected to the AC97 standard, hot-plug won't work and you will have no way to remap headphones to rear speakers. (Well.... I'm sure there is a way - I'm just not enough into windows to work it out.) In that case, you have to either; disable rear speakers in config, keep switching the plugs around or, wire up a Y splitter so you can have them plugged into two sockets at once.