Full Install Guide GA P35-DS3P

socal swimmer

314 posts in this topic

Thanks to a suggestion from westwaerts I installed without any video drivers and it's working!

Audio doesn't work and there's a fix in the first post but is there a shorter/easier one? For example, is peterz drivers in this better? It just seems so much easier.. or how about kossi's in this thread?

it can't be mirrored with Ghost, but there is one way.... TIME MACHINE!!!! Also, you can use disk utility to copy the entire drive to another (or external) hard drive.

so when you say it won't boot, what happens? Does it just do an endless reboot, or does it hang at "Verifying DMI Pool Data....", or somewhere else?

Yeah, it stops at the usual "verifying blablablah...". But the problem should lie much further forward in the bootprocess if it doesn´t even recognize the HD in the Bios settings, shouldn´t it? Cause when I unplug all the other drives again and reinstall EFI, all is well again. Go figure..... :D

Second question: how can I preserve my xp installation on the drive its currently on and setup dual-boot with MacOSX without having to reinstall windows on a new partition? I haven´t really found anything online dealing with this type of setup.... :D

Thanks for any help you might have to offer.

Michael

Yeah, it stops at the usual "verifying blablablah...". But the problem should lie much further forward in the bootprocess if it doesn´t even recognize the HD in the Bios settings, shouldn´t it? Cause when I unplug all the other drives again and reinstall EFI, all is well again. Go figure..... :blink:

Second question: how can I preserve my xp installation on the drive its currently on and setup dual-boot with MacOSX without having to reinstall windows on a new partition? I haven´t really found anything online dealing with this type of setup.... :wacko:

Thanks for any help you might have to offer.

Michael

Try plugging in just 1 other hard drive, and see if it works. If it doesn't, try reinstalling efi (with the second hard drive plugged in), but make sure you get the disk numbers right. Then see if it works.

Yeh! Working, removed Natit.kext and worked. Now to do some video work to get the card going and some audio etc.
Nice man. If you get either of those working let me know what you did, especially for audio.

I'm going to install iATKOS and see how that works now without video card drivers.

I've got an 8800 GT in my system as well. Let me know how things go. I think for the timing being I'm going to hold off until 10.5.2 which will supposedly support the G92 core. I'm new to this, so anything that is going to make things a bit easier for me is probably a good idea.

Did anyone find any solutions or are not experiencing any Shutdown or Restart Issues?

i found a modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext that helped with shutdown and restart, but there are still problems...

dont remember where though.

robotskip and 121fred, did the sound section of my tutorial help you with sounds?

I've got an 8800 GT in my system as well. Let me know how things go. I think for the timing being I'm going to hold off until 10.5.2 which will supposedly support the G92 core. I'm new to this, so anything that is going to make things a bit easier for me is probably a good idea.
My 8800gt works fine w/ .2 beta kexts and a framework from the installer on the forum. Only 256MB detected, but that's fine for OS X.
i found a modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext that helped with shutdown and restart, but there are still problems...dont remember where though.
It's on the IRC, causes KP on my setup.

So far I've tried all the video drivers on both iATKOS and kalyways which have to do with Nvidia and my 8800 with no success. I've also tried Nvidia Installer 1.9 by Punk92 with no success.

So, next up is the consolation has tried.

robotskip and 121fred, did the sound section of my tutorial help you with sounds?
I've been trying to get my 8800 working first but I've saved it + the required files to my USB stick so I'll try it soon-ish.

Edit[1]: social swimmer, it didn't work. :/ I more or less just copied/pasted the commands from your guide and it moved the files fine (Though I think I had to use sudo once or twice) and I did everything else as well and after I rebooted there was still no audio device working.

I'm going to try the last few commands again since the 2 files are still there and just hope I somehow did something wrong last time.

One thing though, reboot seems broken for me, like whenever I try to reboot that little circle thing starts spinning and it just sits there indefinitely causing me to have to physically reboot the system - would this have something to do with it? As in, possibly because I'm force-rebooting it it's not saving the things I did in the terminal?

Edit[2]: I tried it again and I definitely did it right this time and it still isn't working. Oh, and Shut Down works perfectly so I did that instead of reboot than just turned my PC back on.

Edit[3]: Good news 121fred and DWells55, my 8800 GT is working! Only 256MB though.. After trying almost every other thing for NVidia cards I just tried this one and it worked perfectly! OSX looks sooo much better at a proper resolution.

So, all that's left is audio and than setting up dual boot. Does the chain0 method still work? That's what I did last time.. Once I have everything working I'll write up a small guide on how I did it. A silly question, how do I minimise everything that's open like hitting Win+D or Win+M on Windows?

like hitting Win+D or Win+M on Windows?
Depends on your keyboard, f11 usually gives you the expose "show desktop" view. On the new Apple aluminium keyboards that key is taken up by volume - so you need to press the fn key or remap.
So, all that's left is audio and than setting up dual boot. Does the chain0 method still work? That's what I did last time..
Instead of using iAtkos' own EFI hack, use netkas'. You will need to use a MBR partition. My main GUID one requires the use of F12 on boot, unfortunately. We need more ppl to bug netkas to release a guid version of boot_grub_81. Place boot_grub_81 anywhere grub can read & add it to your menu.lst, for example below is mine; it boots windows, linux, and a small test OSX install from partitions on hd0 and uses boot_81 to start up the main OSX drive on hd1. Note that both boot loaders live on the linux partition at hd0,1. Use generic boot_efi if your OSX is on hd0.

title MEPIS
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 nomce quiet splash vga=791 resume=/dev/sda3 
boot

title	  Leo EFI Boot
root	  (hd0,1)
kernel	  /pc_efi/boot_grub_81

title	  Windows
root	  (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader   +1

title	  Cub boot V5
root	  (hd0,1)
kernel	  /pc_efi/boot_v8

Thanks, F11 should work fine. As for dual booting, I managed to use chain0, I just had to do like 3 commands in a DOS prompt using BCDEdit to correctly set it up.

So, right now there's a 2 second timer and it defaults to Vista.

Audio still isn't working too, I've tried the method in the OP, the one from here and one or 2 others; sigh. :/

My vendor ID is 10EC and the device ID is 0885, it's just the ALC889A chipset also known as Azalia. Is there a way I can edit the kexts I now have thanks to previous methods and just add in my own device ID?

Thanks, F11 should work fine. As for dual booting, I managed to use chain0, I just had to do like 3 commands in a DOS prompt using BCDEdit to correctly set it up.

So, right now there's a 2 second timer and it defaults to Vista.

Audio still isn't working too, I've tried the method in the OP, the one from here and one or 2 others; sigh. :/

My vendor ID is 10EC and the device ID is 0885, it's just the ALC889A chipset also known as Azalia. Is there a way I can edit the kexts I now have thanks to previous methods and just add in my own device ID?

about the audio-

did you run it from the install dvd, single user, or did you just do it while in the operating system? I have always had the best luck when doing it from the install dvd, not from inside the operating system. Another way is single user.

to boot into single user:

mash F8 when the hard drive starts booting, and when it goes into boot options, type "-s" and hit enter. then, it boots into a command-line style. do the two commands it tells you to mount the filesystem, then do the commands i posted from there. However, put the new kexts on your hard drive somewhere instead of on a thumbdrive.

are you sure the kexts copied correctly?

if you go into system preferences, are there options for audio in and out?

social swimmer, it's working! I deleted the kexts, copied them again and booted into the DVD. Oh, and the reason I did it was this way is because I was unable to mount my USB flash drive using the DVD. I than followed the commands in your OP, reset and it works perfectly. It also seems to have detected every input/output for it to!

Thank you heaps for the guide. Thanks to you + some others I now have everything working a-okay, the only thing that I eventually need to fix up is my 8800GT only being detected with 256MB instead of 512MB but that really doesn't matter much for now..

Well, I also need to get the extra buttons on my Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0 working but I'm not in too much of a hurry. I think I'm going to make this my primary OS now but that will be hard because I think I'll get sick of booting into Vista to play games. :(

Over the next week and a bit I'm going to slowly write up a guide on how I prepped my computer (Hard drives), installed it, set up dual boot with chain0, etc as a way of saying thank you and I wrote up a guide last time after I eventually got OSX 10.4.7 installed.

Random question; where's the best place to get custom icons for use in the Dock? And how do you change an application's icon? The reason I ask is because a lot of apps don't have the best looking icons or they look odd/awkward with the other icons + my background.

Here's a screenshot of my desktop now: http://byrd.890m.com/images/screenshots/dm_13-1-08.jpg

Edit[1]: Is it safe to use Software Update? I installed iATKOS v1.0i and I used their darwin_boot script to install PC EFI or whatever it does, so I think I have the vanilla kernel but I'm not sure and want to check before I go about using Software Update and possibly ruining this install. According to System Profiler my kernel is Darwin 9.1.0 which I'm pretty sure is the vanilla kernel iATKOS/kalyways uses but you can never be too sure. D:

if you have pc_efi installed, then it is safe to use software update. If not, then no.

I know that there is a way to tell, but i forgot how. I read it in a thread somewhere

it has something to do with ioreg, but I can't remember the arguments.

I'm glad its working! I am going to get an 8800GT very soon... (crysis :] )

btw: what overclock settings do you have? ram mulitplier and timings, etc...

Well, I just got Leopard to boot. I'm on the DS3R instead of the DS3P, but I assume it's mostly the same? I have a single SATA 150 drive connected to the purple controller in IDE mode while the DVD drive is on the orange (ICH9R) and also in IDE mode. Also, I used Kalyway's 10.5.1 disc instead of the Brazilmac method. I formatted with the MBR setting, selected vanilla kernel, and installed the efi for the mbr setup. Couple questions though:

1. The system boots to a blinking cursor and nothing else unless I have the install DVD in the drive. I tried searching, but the only answers I got involved patched discs and running a script that doesn't exist on the disc. I figure this has something to do with my MBR choice, but all attempts to install with GUID failed after the installation hit 99%. I assume this is because I'm not in AHCI mode.

2. I'm getting some weird visual artifacts. After restoring a minimized app from the doc, I get some weird lines that appear above the dock for a split second. I assume this is due to the 8800 GT not being supported? By the way, any suggestions on that? Should I try that 10.5.2 beta kext thing, or should I wait for the official 10.5.2 update from Apple? Hopefully it's announced at Macworld, and I should be able to update since I have efi and the vanilla kernel, correct?

3. Sound isn't working, as expected. However, the DS3R also uses ALC889a for audio, so it's the same in that aspect. However, will getting sound to work differ at all from the process you described because I used Kalyway's disc to install?

Sorry if these are "noob questions," I searched and couldn't really find definitive answers. I'm new to OS X and trying to learn, so please bare with me :D

social swimmer; Well, I went ahead and tried updating and it all worked fine! And the 8800GT is an awesome card.

At the moment I haven't really put any effort into overclocking so I'm just using all other settings on sort of 'Auto,' so all I'm really changing is the FSB and the rest adjust them self. It's best to do everything by hand, I just haven't bothered yet.

I've noticed that when I start going above 3.04 or so stability slowly decreases, probably due to my VCore still being default.

DWells;

1. I just saw this (Kalyway IATKOS Blinking Cursor Fix) while browsing the forum but I have no idea if it's useful to you.

2. With my 8800GT even with no drivers installed I didn't see any artifacts so I don't think they're because it's not supported. Is your card overclocked at all? I have the 10.5.2 beta kexts installed and I'm hoping to just uninstall them and than update to 10.5.2 and yes, if you have vanilla+EFI you can update using the build in software updater; I just used it to update iTunes, Quicktime, get some security update, etc.

3. Should work the same, yup, and make sure you do it from the DVD instead of a terminal session inside your install.

Well, I just got Leopard to boot. I'm on the DS3R instead of the DS3P, but I assume it's mostly the same? I have a single SATA 150 drive connected to the purple controller in IDE mode while the DVD drive is on the orange (ICH9R) and also in IDE mode. Also, I used Kalyway's 10.5.1 disc instead of the Brazilmac method. I formatted with the MBR setting, selected vanilla kernel, and installed the efi for the mbr setup. Couple questions though:

1. The system boots to a blinking cursor and nothing else unless I have the install DVD in the drive. I tried searching, but the only answers I got involved patched discs and running a script that doesn't exist on the disc. I figure this has something to do with my MBR choice, but all attempts to install with GUID failed after the installation hit 99%. I assume this is because I'm not in AHCI mode.

2. I'm getting some weird visual artifacts. After restoring a minimized app from the doc, I get some weird lines that appear above the dock for a split second. I assume this is due to the 8800 GT not being supported? By the way, any suggestions on that? Should I try that 10.5.2 beta kext thing, or should I wait for the official 10.5.2 update from Apple? Hopefully it's announced at Macworld, and I should be able to update since I have efi and the vanilla kernel, correct?

3. Sound isn't working, as expected. However, the DS3R also uses ALC889a for audio, so it's the same in that aspect. However, will getting sound to work differ at all from the process you described because I used Kalyway's disc to install?

Sorry if these are "noob questions," I searched and couldn't really find definitive answers. I'm new to OS X and trying to learn, so please bare with me :)

1) well lets see. The guide says to use AHCI mode, all forum posts say to use AHCI mode, so maybe, just maybe, you should use AHCI mode.

I never tried it without using AHCI mode, because I decided to follow what everyone said.

3) no, its the same process. do everything the exact same way.

Generally, the best way to get a definitive answer is to try it yourself. Most people will just get annoyed instead of giving you the definitive answer you want.

robotskip: I got mine to 3.3GHz with the vcore at 1.35000 (which is the standard), totally stable. So maybe you got a bad batch...

yay for the 8800GT. I'm getting it very soon.... tried crysis yet?

The video card is overclocked on a software level inside Windows, so it should be stock inside Leopard. Besides, I played 2 hours of Crysis with it overclocked without any issues. Meh, it's nothing major.

I'll give the audio installation a try sometime tomorrow when I'm actually wide awake. Probably going to grab a spare flash drive too, mine is full of important data and I don't feel like taking my case apart and plugging the Windows drive back in to back it all up. Thanks.

Oh, and regarding your overclocking, I was able to achieve a stable overclock of 3.2 GHz (400 x 8) at the stock VCore of 1.35v on my E6750. By stable I mean 20 hours of Orthos in Windows and 2 hours of memtest86+. Supposedly I should be able to get even more than that at stock voltage, but when I overclocked to 3.46 GHz, Windows crashed to a reboot immediately once the desktop loaded. I would think you should be able to get 3.2 GHz without any voltage changes. Look up your RAM's specs and manually set them in the BIOS. The BIOS is probably reading the SPD JEDEC settings which are going to probably be lower than what your RAM is rated for. Just be sure to increase the voltage as well as the timings. The stock RAM voltage is is 1.8v, so if the RAM is rated for 2.1v, set the BIOS to overvolt by .3v.

EDIT: Just saw socal's post. I'm avoiding AHCI because I've seen people reporting success without it and using the purple controller. AHCI would break my Windows install unless I did the method for post-installation support which is too risky for me until I have a reliable device to back up that hard drive's data onto. Also, the reason I don't just try things off the bat is because at this point I honestly don't have the knowledge to be sure I can revert what I've done.

robotskip: I got mine to 3.3GHz with the vcore at 1.35000 (which is the standard), totally stable. So maybe you got a bad batch...

yay for the 8800GT. I'm getting it very soon.... tried crysis yet?

Would you mind taking a photo of the BIOS page which has all the overclocking stuff, or listing the important things you've changed? I have Crysis installed on my other HDD with Vista and on High it runs okay, it's not perfectly smooth like my games to be but on Medium it seems fairly nice; I haven't actually played it much though but my little brother has and he normally tells me if the framerate of a game isn't the best and he hasn't said so with Crysis except when he puts it on Very high.
The video card is overclocked on a software level inside Windows, so it should be stock inside Leopard. Besides, I played 2 hours of Crysis with it overclocked without any issues. Meh, it's nothing major.

I'll give the audio installation a try sometime tomorrow when I'm actually wide awake. Probably going to grab a spare flash drive too, mine is full of important data and I don't feel like taking my case apart and plugging the Windows drive back in to back it all up. Thanks.

Oh, and regarding your overclocking, I was able to achieve a stable overclock of 3.2 GHz (400 x 8) at the stock VCore of 1.35v on my E6750. By stable I mean 20 hours of Orthos in Windows and 2 hours of memtest86+. Supposedly I should be able to get even more than that at stock voltage, but when I overclocked to 3.46 GHz, Windows crashed to a reboot immediately once the desktop loaded. I would think you should be able to get 3.2 GHz without any voltage changes. Look up your RAM's specs and manually set them in the BIOS. The BIOS is probably reading the SPD JEDEC settings which are going to probably be lower than what your RAM is rated for. Just be sure to increase the voltage as well as the timings. The stock RAM voltage is is 1.8v, so if the RAM is rated for 2.1v, set the BIOS to overvolt by .3v.

Yeah, overclocking via Windows wouldn't effect the GPU under Leopard.. hmm, just unlucky I guess. :/ Also, you don't have to use a flash drive, I wasn't able to mount mine so I just copied the 2 kexts while in Leopard than booted into the DVD and did all the other commands.

You seem to have greater knowledge/experience in regards to OC'ing, or mine has just died over the years. :) I asked social swimmer too, but if you don't mind could you do the same (Take a photo or list the important changes)? My RAM is Corsair XMS Twin2X 2048 (2x1GB) [PDF link] and from the PDF it says "Tested at 5-5-5-12-2T latency settings at 1.9V. SPD programmed at 5-5-5-5-12-2T values."

Here's the Newegg link to the product in case the reviews are useful somehow. Basically, when it comes to manually changing the timings on RAM I'm a little unexperienced.

Alright, the instructions I'm going to give you are off the top of my head and for the P35-DS3R motherboard, so it's possible they'll differ slightly. First off you want to overvolt the RAM by .1v since it's rated for 1.9v. That should be in the Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) part of the BIOS. Something like DDR2 Overvoltage or something - select it and set it to + 0.1v.

Go back to the main menu of the BIOS and hit Ctrl+F1 to enable advanced options. Then the RAM timings should show up in the M.I.T. menu. I think. Set the timings to manual and set the first four to 5, 5, 5, 12. It might not be the first four and it might not be in the exact order, but you should be able to tell based on what the auto settings were. Set all the other settings to match the auto settings.

This will get a bit more juice out of your RAM and hopefully enough to get you stable at 3.2 GHz. I set the FSB to 400 and the multiplier to 8 and the RAM multiplier to 2.00 instead of auto. This is the highest I've gotten into Windows with and is stable with reasonable temps.

@socal:

I just checked the BIOS again and apparently the Gigabyte controller can be set to AHCI separate from the ICH9R controller. I could've sworn it was IDE and IDE RAID only last time I checked. I'm going to try a couple more things I found to fix my current blinking cursor problem, otherwise I'll enable AHCI, start over, and do it with GUID. Hopefully the fact that there's a MBR on there at the moment won't throw it off. If it doesn't work, I'll zero the drive out with the app Seagate provides and start again.

EDIT:

For the first time in a long time, my college cancelled classes today due to the snow. So I had nothing better to do than screw around with Leopard. Enabling AHCI and using GUID resulted in the system booting to an apple.boot.plist not found or something along those lines, but reformatting and using the MBR method worked. The only weird thing is that my hard drive icon is orange and was recognized as an external Serial ATA 2 drive despite it being internal. Doesn't seem to have any negative effects though. Now to get sound working. As for video, I think I'm just going to hold off until 10.5.2.

EDIT 2:

Just tried sound. I'm positive I followed the direction exactly and Leopard still doesn't see any audio devices. I'm back on my hard drive install and I checked out the Extensions folder to see if the files copied and everything looks okay:

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jan 14 2008 ALCinject.kext

drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Jan 14 12:40 AppleHDA.kext

EDIT 3:

Deleted the files from inside my install and then copied them from the .zip while in the install. Rebooted to the DVD and did the chmodding and such and it appears to be working. I didn't hear a startup sound or anything, but a preview from the iTunes store worked. Yay :)

EDIT 4:

It only works with the audio output device set to Built-in speaker. Meh, whatever works. The one thing I have noticed is the bass seems heavy and makes the audio quality kinda poor. Like, even the sound effects from AIM sound too deep. It's not really a dealbreaker for me though.

Alright, the instructions I'm going to give you are off the top of my head and for the P35-DS3R motherboard, so it's possible they'll differ slightly. First off you want to overvolt the RAM by .1v since it's rated for 1.9v. That should be in the Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) part of the BIOS. Something like DDR2 Overvoltage or something - select it and set it to + 0.1v.

Go back to the main menu of the BIOS and hit Ctrl+F1 to enable advanced options. Then the RAM timings should show up in the M.I.T. menu. I think. Set the timings to manual and set the first four to 5, 5, 5, 12. It might not be the first four and it might not be in the exact order, but you should be able to tell based on what the auto settings were. Set all the other settings to match the auto settings.

This will get a bit more juice out of your RAM and hopefully enough to get you stable at 3.2 GHz. I set the FSB to 400 and the multiplier to 8 and the RAM multiplier to 2.00 instead of auto. This is the highest I've gotten into Windows with and is stable with reasonable temps.

Awesome, thanks man. I've done so (Though slowly working up to 3.2GHZ) and it seems stable so far. What voltage does your CPU default to and normally is after overclocking?

For audio, all I really cared about was basic output and you have at least that. :/

I'm defaulting at 1.35v and keeping it there for the time being. When I'm not on campus and in a situation where I can have a non functioning or stability test running computer, I'm going to push it to 1.4v and try for 3.4GHz.

I left the system idling for a few hours yesterday and came back with the Flurry screensaver seemingly frozen. Moving the mouse took me to the desktop which had the correct time, but seemed unresponsive otherwise? I assume this is due to my lack of video drivers and flurry being video card reliant? I just switched back to the plain screensaver, set it for 15 minutes, and enabled monitor sleep for 20 and system sleep and hard drive sleep never. Hope that helps.

EDIT:

Yeah, something's wrong with screensavers and such. First off, the screensaver does not kick in. I came back, the desktop was up, I moved the mouse, it showed the screensaver for a split second and then back to desktop. The monitor is not turning off at the specified time either. Odd. For the time being I've disabled all sleep and screensaver functions. It's not a huge deal, but I'd prefer to not have to manually shut off my monitor before bed, I love this thing and I want it to last a while.

Furthermore, no 10.5.2 announcement today. Lame. Maybe I'll have to give that beta kext for the 8800 GT a shot, 1024x768 is killing me on this 1440x900 screen.

Here is some of my thoughts having successfully installed Leopard.

Read heaps, you may not understand it at first but it will eventually make sense.

Put aside a heap of time, most probably a number of days and avoid distractions, send the wife and kids to the inlaws.

I used Brazilmac's leopard install disk, make sure your download is from a known source and when you do the creation of your install disk don't do it on a computer with Leopard installed on it. I tried a number of times and ended up with quite a few coasters. I used an old bowling ball G3 in the end with 10.4 on it and the disk created burned and booted perfectly.

Strip every unnecessary drive from your hardware, including dvd writers etc. I ended up installing from a IDE drive rather than the suggested Sata and it worked perfectly.

I found the following pages really helpful when trying to install from scratch, particularly the first one from Social Swimmer

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=75863

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=73952&st=0

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3113 (to get info regarding nvidia 8600 gt drivers)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;hl=BSD%20root:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;hl=HPET(for an error I got when installing)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;hl=alc888(for sound on my mobo)

In brief the process for me was

1. Partition drive guid and install EFI

2. Once I got a working boot disk follow the instruction on Social Swimmers page to get Leopard onto Hard Drive

3. Install appropriate video drivers, 8600 Gt in my case.

4. Fix sound

5. Play

I also set up a second hard drive which I am using to test out changes before committing to my known working drive.

The outcome so far is that everything works except for the DVD player app in leopard which will play a dvd but not a video_ts file which is annoying but VLC works OK until I find a fix.

The video only uses 256mb not 512mb and the firewire card is very flakey with external drives.

Cheers