Full Install Guide GA P35-DS3P

socal swimmer

314 posts in this topic

you need to get a SATA DVD drive. IDE does not work. A few other people have posted with this same problem, and they fixed it with a SATA drive.good luck :)

Sorry to disagree with you there socal, it does work; you need to set the gigabyte (jmicron ?) controller to IDE mode in BIOS. However... I installed OSX from another partition, and then added the edited kexts - if your install DVD lacks the necessary patched kext it might not boot the DVD?

So I guess these files (regarding the postpatch folder) are included in the "EFI Pack" from the first post?It would be great if you can pin point which kext.Thanks!
IOATAFamily.kext - from memory...Here the kexts you need to patch with your device IDs for fully working SATA and IDE

IOATAFamily.kext (although... the 5.2 one seems to work ok without patching.

IOAHCIFamily.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

For a while I thought the AppleVIAATA.kext needed to be patched for ide to work, however that doesn't seem to be the case. I need to check if my kext is vanilla, I might have edited it and forgot to mark it.

Sorry to disagree with you there socal, it does work; you need to set the gigabyte (jmicron ?) controller to IDE mode in BIOS. However... I installed OSX from another partition, and then added the edited kexts - if your install DVD lacks the necessary patched kext it might not boot the DVD?

I will never forgive you.

:D

but seriously, thats interesting. I didn't know that (and a few others end up buying SATA dvd drives because i didnt know that).

so thanks!

IOATAFamily.kext - from memory...Here the kexts you need to patch with your device IDs for fully working SATA and IDE

IOATAFamily.kext (although... the 5.2 one seems to work ok without patching.

IOAHCIFamily.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

For a while I thought the AppleVIAATA.kext needed to be patched for ide to work, however that doesn't seem to be the case. I need to check if my kext is vanilla, I might have edited it and forgot to mark it.

thats what i thought too, but i wasn't sure.

Do those others have anything to do with the crashing on IDE + 4GB of memory?

the "external" hard drives means that you need to copy over a patched kext. it should be in the brazilmac postpatch folder, under leopatch/ext.

I can't remember exactly which one it was..

shutdown and restart can be fixed using kalyway's patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

I have no issues besides shutdown/restart. Where did you get that kalyway kext from? Can it be extracted from the DVD or is there somewhere else?

i got it from the first post in the main thread about kalyway on these forums (under installation?).

I'll go look, cause i need it again.

That'd be great thanks!

On a side note, and probably abit off topic, but since we all here use the GA-P35-DS3P or its very close variants, I thought this would be the best place to ask.

Has anyone using BIOS version F9 experienced problems with their video card not giving signal to DVI (not sure about VGA or HDMI as I dont use it) after say maybe a half a day of use and you decided to reboot into Windows or whatever reason for a reboot, pressing the reset button or powering off and turning back on... finding that you are not getting video but your system is actually booting.

- Or -

in Vista 64bit, your video just suddenly decides to turn off (on a dualscreen setup, your main screen loses signal and turns off, while the other goes back but stays on)

This has only happened since I updated the BIOS, but the standard out of the box BIOS (Version F4) had weird overclocking problems, I dont overclock full time, and when I change from overclocked back to AUTO, vista x64 fails to boot with a BSOD and reboots. And the solution is just to reset the BIOS, because changing back to overclocked settings or manually setting native clock speed wont make it boot either. But BIOS F4 doesnt have the video problem.

So I am just wondering if anyone else have encountered the same issue and have a solution for it.

Thanks in advance!

i will search in a moment.

regarding the weird overclocking problems, lately i keep having my overclock fail for no reason. It isn't any hotter than normal, and my setup passed an 8 hour Prime95 stress test, so its fine.

maybe i will try updating the bios.

I have never had the problem you described, but i am on the out of box bios.

ok well here is the thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77069

in the first post there is a link.

regarding the weird overclocking problems, lately i keep having my overclock fail for no reason. It isn't any hotter than normal, and my setup passed an 8 hour Prime95 stress test, so its fine.

If what you mean is the system is forever rebooting and never boots beyond POST unless you pull the plug for 10 seconds or so to fix. I am getting that too sometimes.

Hi folks,

I have been subscribed to this guide since the beginning, and I had a working 10.5.0 installation using the flat image method. I then upgraded to 10.5.2 using the Kalyway safe update (which does not replace important kexts) and the new 9.2 speedstep kernel, but now my Sleep functionality is lost. When I select "Sleep", the computer turns off but when I turn it back on, the power goes into a loop of ON for 3 seconds, OFF for 3 seconds, ON for 3 seconds, OFF, etc.

Any idea if this is a .kext issue or a kernel issue?

EDIT: I answered my own question by trying to boot with my old 10.5.0 kernel, and Sleep works fine, so it is apparently a kernel issue.

Son of a !@#$%, the ethernet on my board up and died. Not just in OSX, all reference to it (lan bootROM etc) disappeared from BIOS. It's like it never existed, damn hardware failure- I have to RMA the board and that might take forever. /end rant/

I had to press my old P5LD2 (945P) into service (after fishing it out of a corner of the shed and getting rid of the spider who made a nest in the PCIe slot), forgot how pokey the 945 boards were. I can only get the CPU up to 2.4 before the board chokes and with no water cooling it's sitting on a toasty 48ºC idle, fck me...

Anyhow, there was a point to this... Oh, yeah... you can drop our installs straight onto 945 boards and they boot fine.

(for what it's worth)

Son of a !@#$%, the ethernet on my board up and died. Not just in OSX, all reference to it (lan bootROM etc) disappeared from BIOS. It's like it never existed, damn hardware failure- I have to RMA the board and that might take forever. /end rant/

I had to press my old P5LD2 (945P) into service (after fishing it out of a corner of the shed and getting rid of the spider who made a nest in the PCIe slot), forgot how pokey the 945 boards were. I can only get the CPU up to 2.4 before the board chokes and with no water cooling it's sitting on a toasty 48ºC idle, fck me...

Anyhow, there was a point to this... Oh, yeah... you can drop our installs straight onto 945 boards and they boot fine.

(for what it's worth)

ahhaahahhaha

;):offtopic: :offtopic: :hysterical:

lol sorry. But thats good to know.

I'm thinking its time to replace my 17" CRT with a 20" Acer..

I have the DS3R and unable to get the front audio output jack working with my headphones. Functions fine in Windows.

did you try all options in system preferences?

Do other output jacks work?

When you built your computer, did you plug the front panel into the HDA port or the AC97 port on the mobo? If you plugged it into the AC97 one then you need a different solution. Mine is only for HDA.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I followed the netkas tutorial and the 10.5.2 update should be fine.

But now I can't login with any user.

My Hackintosh boots up to the login window without any errors.

Now I try to login, it accept my username and password, then i see the blue background... and then I'm back at the login window.

I used the -s boot option and then fsck -fy but that don't fix it.

So, can someone help me please?

Thanks a lot

did you have a working 10.5.0/1 install?

if so, take the kexts out of the brazilmac patch foler (brazilmac patch/leopatch/ext) and copy them to your extensions folder. You will have to boot in single user (-s) or from the dvd to do this.

report back on how it goes!

did you have a working 10.5.0/1 install?

if so, take the kexts out of the brazilmac patch foler (brazilmac patch/leopatch/ext) and copy them to your extensions folder. You will have to boot in single user (-s) or from the dvd to do this.

report back on how it goes!

Hi,

this will not fix the problem!

I have an clean 10.5.1 install.

Then I try to updateto 10.5.2, and then I can't login.

I have tried to install 10.5.2 to another volume (that haves an 10.5.1 installed).

But then I get the same problem.

My Hardware:

GA P35-DS3P

Intel Coure 2 Duo E6750

EAX 1950 Pro

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

My MB is a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I started your procedure with a brand new retail Leopard DVD. I ran the BrazilMac-9a581-Patch on it. Everything was going great unitl I got to this step in the the main install guide:(starts checking install DVD at 5:27, install begins at 5:31, install succeeds at 5:40 [it guessed 12 minutes])The verification ran for quite a while, hit 100% and I immediately got an install failed screen witht he yellow ! icon. It did not go into any detail about why the verification failed.I reboote into the patched DVD and tried again. This time I clicked 'skip' on the verification. The install started and ran for 4-5 minutes (it estimated a 15min install) and then I got another install failed dialog. This time it stated that the installer could not verify the 'Essentials' package.Any Ideas? Is my problem that I have 'too new' of a retail DVD? Is there a newer BrazilMac patch or something?Mucho Thanks in advance,BarryHelp! Install DVD verification fails....My MB is a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I started your procedure with a brand new retail Leopard DVD. I ran the BrazilMac-9a581-Patch on it. Everything was going great unitl I got to this step in the the main install guide:(starts checking install DVD at 5:27, install begins at 5:31, install succeeds at 5:40 [it guessed 12 minutes])The verification ran for quite a while, hit 100% and I immediately got an install failed screen witht he yellow ! icon. It did not go into any detail about why the verification failed.I reboote into the patched DVD and tried again. This time I clicked 'skip' on the verification. The install started and ran for 4-5 minutes (it estimated a 15min install) and then I got another install failed dialog. This time it stated that the installer could not verify the 'Essentials' package.Any Ideas? Is my problem that I have 'too new' of a retail DVD? Is there a newer BrazilMac patch or something?Mucho Thanks in advance,Barry

@barry01

I think this happens because you don't deselect all things at the custom install dialog.

Boot into the DVD -> bevor you start the install, go to the customize option on the left side -> and deselect all possible things.

OS X tries to install some stuff, that isn't on your patched DVD.

Hi,

this will not fix the problem!

I have an clean 10.5.1 install.

Then I try to updateto 10.5.2, and then I can't login.

I have tried to install 10.5.2 to another volume (that haves an 10.5.1 installed).

But then I get the same problem.

My Hardware:

GA P35-DS3P

Intel Coure 2 Duo E6750

EAX 1950 Pro

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

yeah. Here is what you should do. First, follow the netkas guide to installing 10.5.2:

http://netkas.org/?p=50

if it fails after doing that, then try copying all the brazilmac postpatch extensions (leopatch/ext) into your extensions folder.

Report back! :P

EDIT::

barry01:

try genin's suggestion first.

if your dvd is 10.5.1/2, then that may be a problem. i have no experience with this. another big possibility is that you simply had a bad burn, and should try to patch/burn the dvd again.

yeah. Here is what you should do. First, follow the netkas guide to installing 10.5.2: http://netkas.org/?p=50if it fails after doing that, then try copying all the brazilmac postpatch extensions (leopatch/ext) into your extensions folder.Report back! :D

Yes, but this dose not fix my problem.

I installed 10.5, then I updated to 10.5.2 with netkas tutorial. <- That is ok.

Then I try to login, and after login I am back at the login screen <- That is my problem.

Then I copied all the patched files from brazilmach postpatch to my extensions folder (in -s mode) <- That do not fix it...

I have also tried to update from 10.5 to 10.5.1 and then to 10.5.2 <- Same problem.

So could it be that I need more patched files?When I install 10.5 then I do not add extra patched files, just the files from your installation tutorial (for sound and mv the efi file) and the patched files from the brazilmac postpatch.

That is all.

I just copied the files from brazilmach... But it dos not work... :blink::wacko::(:blink:... help ...

Well, I found this tutorial http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...14&hl=login but the file that must be deleted is not there... Maybe it is to old... :P

I think I will try to update with Kalyway 10.5.2 updater...

Did you know or think that is possible? Or only when I have also installed 10.5.1 with the Kalyway image?

that should work, as far as i can tell. No obvious conflicts.

to fix your problem:

Probably won't work:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306840

Shows the same problem (on a real iMac), but no helpful solution:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306965

that is really weird though. I'm stumped. Did the installation go fine?

PS:

My dad had this problem on his iMac (C2D, white) when using a 10.5.1 install disk. He used my original 10.5.0 disk and it worked fine. So perhaps its the disk?

Hi guys

In following the guide, one of the first things I did was swith to AHCI(on both controllers) and port 0-3 to native. I have the GA P35-DS3P (rev 1.0), E6750, HD2900pro, IDE dvd writer and a WD 320GB sataII drive connected to the sata0 port on the ICH9R. I have 1 partion with xp sp2 installed (did it sata set to IDE mode), and a healthy chunk of unallocated space intented for osx. however right after switching to sata to AHCI, during bios bootup system hangs with a screen showing that it has dectected one (raid/ahci) controller on ich9r and one device( being my only connected harddrive). when rebooting or powering off and on, and mashing the delete button it won't even let my get into bios setup. I never even got to the point where I pop in the mac os x disc. only cure was to unplug the hd at which point instead of hanging it said it couldn't find a hd, but now hitting delete during boot got me into bios setup.

any help much appreciated

• 1 month later...
Guest Snowski

Guys can you try this out on your ds3p's (with Firewire enabled) for me:

- Startup console and select all messages

- Put PC to sleep

- Wake up again

- Check console for FW GUID invalid msgs (its flooding here)

in S3 (str) shutdown works 50% - Sleep and Reboot 100% on my rig, using patched ACPI.

Thx