Mac Intel = Good for web design

Swad

18 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

YES... Macs are good for any design type...from even keynote to pages and other types of works efficient and good design templates ; for giving ideas and recreating new types of documents ...for every kinda desktop publishing ...They are exactly great tools...

for webdesign iweb and sandvox and also rapidweaver are great tools ..those following the latest trends and approaches to the webdesign ...Because they are WYSIWYG editors ..they gave somehow limited user dependency ...but for beginners or lazy artists of web they will be very useful..

Let's see... yes you can use virtual PC on your mac so you can compare your web design on both Safari, IE, and Firefox counterpart. But can't we do that on Windows to?

IE and Firefox is natively available on Windows machine and there are tons of Safari emulator on the web.

Oh if the only reason why Mac box is good for design is only because we can compare it to a different browser engine, try Linux. It has a KHTML engine and Gecko engine browser built for the platform.

this is how everything was to me...

I live in a great industrial city of Kriviy Rig in Ukraine. In our country Macs is "pupular" only in it's capital - Kiyiv. Pupular means you can at least buy that machines, but very small percent of peoples uses PCs with cracked Windows (CD costs nearly 2-3$)

There is only one Mac in my city. When I got to work in those firm as a designer, boss asked me: "Have you ever worked with Macs?". Till that time i know nothing about them... At first it was a little confuse to work on it, but than I begin to dream about Mac at home...

As for design, it's more naturally, ergonomically etc to work with same Adobe programs, Corel Draw, Painter, LightWave as on Windows...

Especially it comes with little different keyboard "layout", Dock, Drag'n'Drop and upper panel etc... But without unibins this is now a little more slow than at windows...

(sorry for my English)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the PPC platform is optimised for graphics apps. My G5 is much faster than my XP system for Photoshop (if only I didn't have the problem of clicking just off the edge of the window and ending up with the desktop in focus :) )

I too use Dreamweaver on the Mac and test the results on IE - sometimes it's horrible and I have to go back and fix it. My OSx86Project site was created on XP and the converse applies - the colours look decidedly odd on the Mac, but I don't have time to recreate the loads of tiny GIFs which make the borders etc. One day I will.

And Leg - good post - no need to apologise for your English - it's way better than some of my work colleagues can manage and they use English as a first language!

• 3 weeks later...

as for ie under mac and under windows - they render pages differently!

if some years ago i could nicely surf internet in ie under windows, now i just hate it! even when i developing some web-pages, in explorer thay always looks not in that way i wanted it to be...

my favorite browser is Opera... i love it's "right click operations", keyboard shortcuts and speed.

• 3 months later...

You could always use this website. It renders a given URL as it would be displayed in 20+ browsers.

http://v03.browsershots.org/

I find OS X really bad for making web pages. I like to program everything by scratch with pure HTML. I don't go for all this template stuff. There's nothing like HTMK-Kit for OS X yet, so I have to use Windows for all website-related work.

Takuro, nice link.

I'm using my Hackintosh for all my web work. I'm getting pretty sick of Dreamweaver and Flash being so boggy, and Photoshop and that damn beach ball (read: spinning wheel of death). So I'm just hand coding mostly and previewing in browsers. IE is every web designers problem, what renders fine in Opera, Firefox and Safari, will be messed up in IE. I'm using Parallels to preview in IE, so it's all sweet. I've probably done my best work on my new hackintosh.

• 5 months later...

Seriously - you can run windows in a virtual environment and linux in a virtual environment. At the same time. You can run windows 98, xp, suse and vista all at the same time, whilst you code in bbedit and test it all on your built in Apache server.

What the hell could be better for a web design environment?

Anything creative - get a mac. Wait, just a second. Anything at all - build your own hack mac. Way better than the pieces of {censored} Apple sells.

• 3 weeks later...
as for ie under mac and under windows - they render pages differently!

if some years ago i could nicely surf internet in ie under windows, now i just hate it! even when i developing some web-pages, in explorer thay always looks not in that way i wanted it to be...

my favorite browser is Opera... i love it's "right click operations", keyboard shortcuts and speed.

opera is the best for sure.

the right click operations are called mouse gestures and you can get apps to set them up with anything, but the opera 

efault ones are awesome.

• 2 weeks later...