Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Leopard How-to (Updated 1/10)

Conroe Mac

412 posts in this topic

Is there a way to install this way without having Tiger already installed? :s

it works!!

i had to use my edited AppleYukon.kext from tiger to get ethernet working though. sound works (azalia) and video works at fulls res with ci/qe (7600gt).

thanks to conroe mac for all the help

-matt

I have the same video card on this mobo and I was just wandering what you had to do to get CI/QE working, thanks. :wacko:

Ok - I have the flat disk image. In the middle of extracting it now. I wonder whether you can use this disk image under VMWare - and then duplicate the contents of the disk to a partition? I remember that's how I got the deadmoo Tiger 10.4.1 image to work...

it works!!i had to use my edited AppleYukon.kext from tiger to get ethernet working though. sound works (azalia) and video works at fulls res with ci/qe (7600gt).thanks to conroe mac for all the help-matt
Great to hear your success =)
So has anyone here managed to get Leopard and Vista dual booting from a single Hard disk? I'm trying to do that, but Leopard never managees to boot (the first time i installed, after i rebooted into Leopard i got a "Missing Operating System" error message. Then I repaired vista by popping in the vista dvd, and then added the chain0 file to the vista bootloader, and still couldn't boot in.Could someone please help me with that? I don't have Tiger installed. Thanks a lot!
I am booting from a single disk. On the 965P, I believe it just works, but this seems to be a common problem on other boards. See Brazilmac's original thread which I posted at the top of the how-to. Inside that thread there are a number of techniques to get the Leopard partition recognized and booting.

To Royco:

The faq currently reads:GA-965P-DS3 Rev. 3.3 LANRoyco gives the following advice for getting LAN to work:The 3.3 Has a different Yukon Controller, 8056 i think. Because thats what I change on the yukon.kext. So for those with ver 3.3 boards having trouble with LAN even after editing Yukon2.kext, enter a static IP address instead of doing DHCP. Let it run for a while then switch back to DHCP, this solved my problem with my LAN showing as disconnected.This solution is from the Tiger tutorial (please try it and let me know if it works):If your system uses the marvell 8056 rather than the 8053 found on the DS3 try following the instructions below.sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworking.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Info.plistsearch for "8053" (no quotes) and replace with "8056" (no quotes)Then search for "4362" (no quotes) and replace with "4364"save the file, repair permissions and reboot.What should I change?

To ALL:

I'm glad to hear all the success stories with the flat image. I have just finished downloading the prepatched DVD and the flat image. It appears that the flat image might be the best way to install if we can figure out how to make it work on any partition and adjust the size of said partition. I will be taking a look into this soon. If you've got the flat image working, your research/experimentation could be very helpful to all DS3 users and the Hackintosh community at large. Let me know what you find out/try so we can update the how-to with this new method. We are getting close to 100% installation success rate for this motherboard and we have addressed LAN on later revisions. Once we perfect the flat image installation method and solve sleep, we'll have it all figured out! =)

I am in the process of downloading the flat image. Till then I can only speculate.

Since the flat image contains an MBR/Partition table predefined for a 20gb Leopard partition and the rest free space, one way out will be to copy the data with dd but exclude the first 512 bytes that contain the MBR/partition table. That way the image will copy to whatever partition scheme you have on your hardisk (the partition for Leopard has to be more than 20GB though).

The only problem then will be how to boot Leopard because if you use dd to copy but exclude the first 512 bytes you will be missing the Leopard boot loader and will have to copy that manually. That can be done but I have not researched it yet. I am going to be experimenting a bit once I get the image.

I have tried the prepatched DVD and can confirm that it works. For those that don't want to patch an original disc, this method seems like a good alternative. I did not use the USB patcher method, but I believe that it would work fine. My next install (going on five or so) will be of the flat image which I think shows a lot of promise for the preferred method in the future.

Sleep Sleep Sleep.. Heres what I got so far.

I installed an older version of AppleSMBIOS.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext and got my hack to sleep and wake up successfully. BUT.. my displays looks fuzzy and garbled, can barely read the texts. A reboot would bring it back to normal. So I tried different drivers for my GeForce 7900GS, Natit, Titan, and the current NVinject for Leopard, still fuzzy when it wakes up. So what I did is replace all the GeForcexx.kexts and all the Nvidiaxxx.kext from my Tiger install. Now I lost CI/QE, BUT... Sleep works perfectly. Wakes up fine, no fuzzy display, USB drives are connected.

So its back to the drawing board, I'll be doing another install and start from there as I messed up this test install really bad.

Anybody with a different video card want to try this?

Upgrade from 10.4.8 Jas install works like a charm too.

This has the advantage of having the working devices like HD audio, LAN and video working right after the upgrade with no boot problems. Unfortunately, Sleep stopped working :D

Just install 10.4.8 or probably any other distribution, Install all necessary drivers to make it 100% working. When all is set, boot from the Leopard DVD you just made from the guide on the first post. Skip the part where you go to Disk utility and erase the drive( we want the 10.4.8 install there for it to be upgraded). Go select the Leopard drive where you installed 10.4.8 and customize to uncheck the printer drivers ,languages and anything you can uncheck. After the install patch it as described in the guide, this can now be done within the DVD itself ( see link on the first post for the original thread). After patching, boot from the Leopard disk and tada! You have a fully working 10.5 with drivers intact!

You may want to back up your files incase you are brave enough to do this on your current (the one you used to patch and create the Leopard dvd) Tiger install.

Hi royco,

you said

"After the install patch it as described in the guide, this can now be done within the DVD itself ( see link on the first post for the original thread)"

Would this be booting from the installation dvd and running terminal through it?

thanks.

Hi royco,

you said

"After the install patch it as described in the guide, this can now be done within the DVD itself ( see link on the first post for the original thread)"

Would this be booting from the installation dvd and running terminal through it?

thanks.

Yes, click the link to Brazilmacs original guide and go to page 14 look for the guide made by Swag01.

for the flat image, i havent downloaded but i think this one from wiki might help

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...le_And_Accurate

dd if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2 bs=512 skip=63 --progress

using skip=63 will skip the partition table/mbr and should restore the image to any partition...

anyone wanna have a try?

Looks like we are spawning all kinds of projects. That all sounds very promising Royco. We might just figure it out soon. Perhaps the problem is in fact not the kernel? What's your opinion? Do you think we can fix it with kexts because that would be much easier than playing with the kernel.

I'm working on a new installation method. I'm still testing it. If everything works out, there might be a new leopard installation method available tomorrow. I will of course keep everyone posted. Real life demands my attention too. I feel sorry for poor mac.nub. They've pummeled him with questions after his release.

lucida is on to something here. If no one picks up on this in the next 24 hours, I might check it out and steal the credit =)

Conroe Mac, I hope we can fix it by kexts only, I have very limited hacking knowledge :-)

In my case, applying the AppleSMBIOS and IONetworkingFamily gave the computer the ability to actually sleep. It would just hang when I try to make it sleep without those 2 kexts. Now with Sleeping out of the way, waking up is the next problem. This i think is where the video card drivers or set of video kexts come into play, because, I can get it to wake up but the video drivers wont load up correctly( fuzzy desktop). I squeezed in another install during my lunch break, Ill do some work on it later tonite.

Give us a heads up when you get your new install method running.

Thanks

Different motherboard model (GA-P35-DS4 rev 2.0), but I have wake from sleep with garbled video. Everything is functional, I can change the video resolution on my 7900GT, but the system seems to be stuck feeding the card a widescreen 1024x600. If I change my resolution to that, then the video looks normal, when I go back to my monitor's native 1680x1050 then video looks like a poorly upsampled image, and text is aliased and with rainbow colored edges.

I'm using the latest NVinject 0.1.3 for leo. I used the BrazilMac patches on the retail copy of leo. All kext have dependencies satisfied. Using the BrazilMac AppleSMBIOS, left leopard's IONetworkingFamily intact.

Ok - success!! I used the flat image. No problems at all, whatsoever! I used a rubbish IDE HDD sitting in the corner of my room to dd the image onto. Now I am planning on using the 'Restore' function in Disk Utility in order to move the installation onto my SATA HDD. This will mean I can use the full HDD space (not this 15GB partition made by the flat image).

Everything was working out-of-the box (motherboard-wise), my X1800XT now works 100% after a bit of tweaking here and there. Still need to get my SB0090 sound card working, but On-Board Sound will do for now. All in all - I'm very impressed!

Screens to come soon. :(

I took your advice ConroeMac. Posting this from Leopard. Worked just fine with the prepatched DVD. I copied Tiger over to an external drive first though. It helped with the patching of course :(

Networking works fine, graphics seem ok (is Titan/Natit included? Or does Leopard handle random geforce cards already?) My CMI PCI soundcard doesn't work yet, haven't tried onboard yet.

To install I used a USB DVD drive, and my internal hard drive plugged into the purple ports. After post patch the internal DVD (on the JMicron) works fine, and I think I can plug the HD back into the orange ports. Will try that later. Anyway, thanks for the walkthroughs!

ok Guys, I have just got the flat image downloaded. The plan is to experiment a bit and see if I can successfully copy the flat image to arbitrary partitions. Currently I'm trying this;

dd if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 bs=512 skip=63 --progress

EDIT: Ok, that didn't go very well. Getting HFS+ partition error. In Windows disk appears to be unpartitioned and blank but I can see the Leopard data with HFS Explorer from Windows. Lost my ntfs partition on this disk. Which means that my dd exclusion of the first 512 bytes didn't work and even though Leopard is there the partition table and boot sector is deleted. So now we need a DD expert to help.

I guess resizing can be done from the patched leo dvd and disk utility.

Unfortunately mine won't boot.

leopard supports live partition resizing (i think hfs+ only). if the free space if AFTER the hfs+ partition, you should be able to drag the end of the partition to fill some portion or all of that space

this was available in tiger for use with bootcamp, but i think it was command-line only. you can now use the disk utility gui to do it.

-matt

Cliffton Beach

I ordered a new 500gb disk for leo. Its only $118, and you can get 250Gb for under $70.

Is hdd space really a problem?

Little late getting back to this, but here goes. Space isn't really a concern. I've got 4 250 GB drives (though two are in raid 1, so only 750 GB of space). It's partitions I said I was running low on. Drive one had debian Linux (lenny), winserver2003, osx tiger, my old data partition, debian linux (etch, in a more server configuration) and a swap partition. Next drive is all data in a big chunk, so it could have gone there. Last one is one data partition (completely full) and an HFS partition for storing stuff needed for installs. I ended up moving tiger to that partition, and putting leopard where Tiger used to be (in the raid array).

So I suppose I could have made another partition in the second disk, but I have way too many already :) It gets hard to track down files sometimes lol. 5 OSs now: 2 each of linux and OSX. I need to install Vista or something so Windows has two as well ;)

Another day, another installation method. My new recommended form of installation is the Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard [ToH]-RC2 SSE3/SSE2 Intel Only DVD. This should simplify the process by requiring no post-patching. Before you get all excited, it's a pretty minimalistic DVD and it doesn't contain all the old patches.

What it can do:

Run on INTEL SSE2 and SSE3 machines

It might upgrade OS X Tiger X86 to Leo X86

It has support for NoNX/NoHPET/etc

The kernel can work on AMD machines

It has all the languages and printer drivers

What it doesn't do:

It's not yet ready for AMD machines, because of missing decrypts

It doesn't have all the patches you used to find on the old OSX86 DVDs

This is the choice delivery method. I was working on my own image, but since this dvd is out, it might be a moot point. Things are getting simpler to install, but the tough cookie of sleep is still out there. I have tried 10.4.8 Jas AppleSMBios.kext but didn't have any luck. I'll keep playing with kexts and working on the sleep problem.

Ok, I got the flat image to boot, had run into an hpet error. Had to go delete intelcpupowermanagment.kext with macdrive. The problem is I have an Asus P5B which is ICH8, thus windows xp is running with Sata as ide not ahci which intel doesn't support on the ICH8.

Leopard won't boot with sata as ide, only ahci. With Tiger 10.4.9/10.4.10 sata as ide worked perfectly. Will the tiger kexts work on this? I can't keep on changing bios settings to dual boot. Anyone get this flat image booting on sata as ide?