How can Apple make gaming better?

Swad

105 posts in this topic

Consistent updates with openGL. Support for more graphics cards ( GTX280, 4870x2) and multiple graphics card solutions, the implementation of SLI and CrossfireX. A Mac Gaming line (imagine Mac ProX or Macbook X, or some other lame name solutions to sell it to the masses, a black Mac pro with purple case lighting screams evil, though) and more opened drivers for both graphics companies. Less costly/exclusive/"uber-highend" parts, keep the Mac Pro case though :P . A smartly designed Mac Gaming mouse and keyboard. More "gamercentric" options (user hardware upgradeability (who likes buying a new system just for a better graphics card), tweakable openfirmware (overclocking, etc). Apple or Mac Games library. Release a Mac home console comparable/better than the 360, integrate some of those great OSX features from the start (a dock, downloadable games launchable from the dock, safari browser, "low power" mode for non gaming functions, get creative with it). iGames (to contend with Xbox Live) anyone?

NATIVE GAMING, no bootcamp, no parallels, no Wine/Crossover, just convince devs that your products are superior.

Maybe I'm just dreaming too damn big... It could work though...

Also, quit trying to target college girls and business professionals. Target everyone.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It would be an up hill battle for Apple to get into the computer gaming scene. There are quality games released for Apple... but I don't predict any big-name exclusive titles any time soon. Windows gaming has been struggling lately too, due to ramped piracy. For example, Gears of War 2 is reportedly not going to have a Windows port done. Epic is apparently "fed-up" with piracy on the PC.

1. Performance for Apple hardware comes at a steeper cost than generic PC hardware. ("Quality", support, and sex appeal aside.) Apple would have to compete on performance/cost against PCs AND consoles.

2. DirectX is a Microsoft product and, quite frankly, has been nothing less than sheer money-making brilliance for them. Meanwhile OpenGL has lost a lot of support from developers (such as John Carmack).

3. Mac OS features such as dashboard, expose, and spaces are a determent to game performance. The OS provides no means of toning down the UI eye candy for the sake of application/game performance.

I honestly don't think Apple should attempt to take on the computer gaming market anymore than they already have. Apple users have the ability, now, to install Windows on their machines and consoles are relatively dirt cheep. They should keep on doing what they are doing and not waist any time or money on computer gaming.

• 1 month later...

mac is dead, for gaming !

a simple example,....

considered to get an imac for my son,...

- mac mini , don't cut it, plus it's obsolete

- mac pro , too expensive

- imac,... can't upgrade graphics card, that's the big one !!

gamers need to be able to change the graphics card, period !

game consoles,...

- apple does not have one !

- mac versions, are not ported to xbox or ps3 !?!

.... and list goes on,...

until leopard runs on dell's and they have a game console,... it's going to stay dead !

and what's a couple of billion of dollars to them,... they don't seam to care !

how could they get a game box out ? they can't even get an appletv right !?

• Like 1

mac is dead, for gaming !

a simple example,....

considered to get an imac for my son,...

- mac mini , don't cut it, plus it's obsolete

- mac pro , too expensive

- imac,... can't upgrade graphics card, that's the big one !!

gamers need to be able to change the graphics card, period !

game consoles,...

- apple does not have one !

- mac versions, are not ported to xbox or ps3 !?!

.... and list goes on,...

until leopard runs on dell's and they have a game console,... it's going to stay dead !

and what's a couple of billion of dollars to them,... they don't seam to care !

how could they get a game box out ? they can't even get an appletv right !?

I'm sorry to say this, and I mean no rudeness in this at all, but Leopard not running on Dell? That defeats the whole purpose of this whole site, no this whole project! Now Dells aren't the only PC's out there, but they are out there like others! Apple doesn't need gaming honestly, their market doesn't demand gaming really at all. They make enough money. They know what they're doing. They're not dumb. And the pippin? And, here's a thought. Build your son a computer, because even if he got an Imac or Mac Pro, for games he'd basically have to run either XP or Vista.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For starters, they should strat puting beter Graphics Cards in Macs. Then Apple should sue M$ for monopoly for not leting them use DX. That would be after they convice some company (ie Intel, Dell...) to buy out Apple shares that are in possesion of M$. Then they need to let big OEMs use OS X on their machines, and make them to solve some of hardware compatibility problems. Then cut prices of Macs and start funding OSx86 project with really big bucs. An for a gran finale, make OS X instalable on every machine, start seling it across the globe and say "Hasta la Vista Micro$uck"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a little input.

Ive tried all VM, including VMware Fus, Virtual Box (which for Open Source is very good), Crossover and Crossover Games.

VMware, VB managed to run Steam and CSS okay, but a little buggy. Tried to install a PC version of COD - WAW but it didnt run at all..

Going to have to dual boot using F8 (which is fast hard-disk selection on P5K mobo) XP and OSX for now I think if you are really into games...

• 1 month later...

The solution? Simple. Keep nursing the Mac market share back over 10%. Once thats done, Apple heaviliy subsidizes the Mac game dev community by backing several native, high quality showpiece games. Basically when they have critical mass, jumpstart the developer community again. There was a decent game market back in the pre OSX days and it can rise again. Back then, there were far more handicaps to producing quality games than there are now. Graphics cards, sub-standard API's and dev kits, etc. Will just take time and slow and steady progress. I used to be a Cider hater, but they've made some good progress recently and it's serving a purpose for now. Most don't remember the dawn of the PC/Mac markets, but in it's earliest days the Mac ports of Games were almost always way better than PC's. It can happen again.

• 4 months later...

I think Apple needs a Mac app store - and I think one is coming very soon.

Like the iPhone, casual games will demonstrate demand for good games and the big players will smell a market they want a piece of.

On the hardware side, getting a 9400m baseline is all anyone could ask for.

• 4 months later...

if apple included direct x conversion frameworks in place to transfer the required direct x to opengl frameworks they would also be able to apply it to any opengl linux, this wouldn't be direct x for mac just a pass over to the open gl but even with this it would never be perfect and would be buggy new games like crysis level would cause massive conversion errors as they use a custom game engine which interacts with the direct x frameworks in strange ways, but the graphics hardware in osx is never cutting edge and is often way late but game like modern warfare natively on a mac show it can be done if games companies want to as the resources are the same

• 2 weeks later...

they need to allow you to

1. Allow you to update the Hardware in Macs so you can keep them up to date

2. Increase support for transgaming

3. Give you more choice when you choose your mac ( bigger range of hardware sizes etc..)

I am a huge gamer and i only own a mac i dont have a PC, i am happy with the way i can run games by

either cidering them myself, using crossover(wine) or running the game through bootcamp, one of these

will work each time and i am happy with that, i can run modern games like COD:MW2 no problem

so i am fine for Power etc.. and i only have the MBP 13"

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...