[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me what type of screws are used on the motherboard standoffs? I have removed the standoffs with pliers and plan to remount them with jb weld, but I need to find some replacement screws first. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I love what you guys are doing here. So I have ordered my G5 case.

What is the cooling like with just having the two back fans (not sure on what size I would need though) and a stock Intel CPU fan?

Next, I am looking at what to do with the back ports panel, that is, the right approach.

I like the daughter-board approach using the connectors from a G5 board, but it looks way to hard and time consuming. I am not keen on using a whole motherboard tray with backplate. I have seen someone do a hybrid approach. Which is what mobo manufacturers do, that is supply a custom port plate to that mobo and you insert it into the backplate of the case or MB tray.

My question is how would it look if I took that approach, I want to keep the two fan grills in place without cutting too much?

BTW - (XS)s0lid - are you still making/selling the front panel PCBs, etc. If so, can you PM me I would like to get one?

Thanks.

Hi, I´m thinking of getting a G5 case, and I was wondering on where to get it in Norway or in Scandinavia.

Your best bet is a reseller of apple parts in your country, or you could try ebay and see if they ship to your location. The cases are a little heavy, especially if you want the power supply as well.

Cheers. :(

Can anyone tell me what type of screws are used on the motherboard standoffs? I have removed the standoffs with pliers and plan to remount them with jb weld, but I need to find some replacement screws first. Thanks.

they are m3.5 anodised and are a pain to get hold of.

I found it easier getting some m3 stadoffs the height I needed and just getting some m3 screws to go with them

Anybody here willing to make up a front panel to ATX converter lead for a few £$€?

I don't think Ill have the time and its the last part I need.

thanks for the link but its the time involved thats the issue, not the hardware/instructions thats the problem.

If I have to I will indeed be knocking on of these up for myself. Guess I'll just have to be patient.

Thath0r - whereabouts in the world are you.....UK, US, Euro?

If I have to make 1, I guess I may as well do two at the same time. Could mail you one for a small donation to cover the postage. Always good to practice my soldering anyway, it may be 2 or 3 weeks before I get time though

thanks for the link but its the time involved thats the issue, not the hardware/instructions thats the problem.

If I have to I will indeed be knocking on of these up for myself. Guess I'll just have to be patient.

Thath0r - whereabouts in the world are you.....UK, US, Euro?

If I have to make 1, I guess I may as well do two at the same time. Could mail you one for a small donation to cover the postage. Always good to practice my soldering anyway, it may be 2 or 3 weeks before I get time though

Hi,

I´d be interested, too...

happy to donate, I need two, though,

one for me, one for my brother, we're doing two G5's...:-)

I live in Copenhagen, Denmark

Hey guys! I was having a couple of problems with dvi-hdmi scaling and the monitor's hdmi reading (it would show a big glaringly blue screen and flash until it found a signal) so I whipped up a dual socket DVI plate in one of the fan grills. I've updated my worklog and not double posting pics here because I'm being cheap and not re-paying for a photobucket pro account ;)

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?...6579&page=4

• 2 weeks later...

Started on my G5 w/PC mod. Lots of information on this forum/thread. Just want to share my approach of wiring up the G5 front panel for ATX front panel.

Here's my wiring harness with USB IDC connector. I re-used ribbon from an old IDE ribbon cable. Joined the wire harness using jumper wires and header pins and soldered them to the ribbon cable and attached to the IDC/jumper connectors

IMG_7389.jpg

Tested this on my current hackintosh setup. Powers up, LED lights up, USB (verified working) and Firewire (only verified to power device), sound (not verified yet)

I can make extras probably 2 at a time on a weekend though. I was thinking what would be the easiest for somoene to hook up the end of these (blue wires) to the G5 front panel wire harness, I think I'll label them with the pinout number of the G5 pinout for direct plug in with the header pins.

So if still interested PM me.

-Ron

awesome! any chance I could talk you into wiring one of those up for me :D very willing to pay!!!

Same here, I'll definitely cover your time + cost. Please let me know!

Thanks,

Andrew

I can make extras probably 2 at a time on a weekend though. I was thinking what would be the easiest for somoene to hook up the end of these (blue wires) to the G5 front panel wire harness, I think I'll label them with the pinout number of the G5 pinout for direct plug in with the header pins.

So if still interested PM me.

-Ron

Can you also make one for me please?

I created something similar, but it seems that wires are touching at the other end to each other , as mine is not as neatly done as yours.

• 1 month later...

Heyho,

So after reading in these excellent forums for quite a long while i decided to start this mod as well. Hackintosh in a standard pc case is fine...but dunno, somehow something was still missing. Yes, a shiny enclosure. All the available lian-li etc cases didnt satisfy me, so after i finally stumbled over this excellent thread i decided: hell yeah, lets do it :).

Here are a few first shots of my new (well, actually the hardware is quite old :P) baby, which started modding last w/e (pardon the crappy mobile phone pics..still have no no decent camera, mmpf):

1411091955.th.jpg

A first shot of the tray fitted inside the cut out rear. I first have been planning to keep the original rear (as i suppose a lot of modders here did :D) until i had some luck purchasing an old ripped off aluminium case from a local pc dealer for just 10 bucks, which tray was removable and had just the perfect size :).

Dunno, would have been cool to keep the original rear i/o together with the original pci slots... but that would've been a mayor pain in the ass also...soldering all the plugs, fitting it into a space as broad as 2cm, and re-doing all the work once u decide to buy a new mainboard... this way it is just usable and modular. And who looks at the rear all the day anyways :).

1511092219.th.jpg

A first testing setup, i still have the PSU in front of the CPU cooler, which i had running without a fan in the beginnng. Which worked quite well on idle and normal use, never tested it on more power consuming tasks. Atm, i have a slim cooler with a small fan running at lower rpms between cpu and psu, this works quite well, but is a bit noisy. Am planning to go for a watercooling solution anyways, way to go with this case :).

The harddisks are still running in the original cage, which is not that best solution in terms of denoising and cooling the disks, imho. Still havent connected the 2 fans up there, will do that another day and see what they do (and how much noise they produce...). Oh, and btw, if u havent got the original hdd screws for that cage: GO GET EM. They definately make a difference in noise :D.

1511092224.jpg

This is an pretty actual shot of the rear featuring the cut for the side lock, the psu rear in the original tray fanhole and a new cut out hole for the psu rear exhaust (or maybe a 2nd future fan, in case i am planning to fit the psu in the top departement of the case). And, damn, i need to get a real camera :P

Todo list for the very next task:

Building a new cage in front departement of the case outta 4 aluminium corners going from the bottom to the upper departement. Will have ca. 5.25" size and holding:

a) a slim and long radiator and fans in front of it

:) denoised hdd's

c) water pump at the bottom

Well, never thought that i would've been able to get this case up and running in 2-3 days, but i did. And yes, a Dremel is an excellent tool :D

greetz,

gitano

I sent out a few PMs to people who had previously made some sort of solution to connect the front panel to the mobo. I'm a complete n00b with wiring and pins/pinouts so in looking to pay someone for their services to mock up a cable that connects to the 2x9 g5 plug and has some headers to plug into my mobo for the power button/led/USB/FireWire to function correctly. Please pm me or let me know if you're interested. My board is a GA-G31M-ES2L. Thanks!