[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

i dont understand... i wired the fan the way you told me all one one molex so i can just have them running all thetime... when i plug it in my psu, the psu shuts down, what the hell?

does it do that when your connection are wrong?

i hope they are not because they all black and i didnt write what is what... what a headache?

ill look at your post for sure...

Sorry , I realize I forgot to finish the first sentence.

So you connect one wire (brown or blue) from the PSU to one (white or black) from the normal electrical and the two green together.

And of course, the second wire from the PSU to the second one from the electrical and the two green together.

My mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen some mumblings about people working on adaptors that have the Apple 18-pin connector going to standard ATX plugs. Does anyone know anything more about this? I think this could help you. (and me)

Hi there all, so I thought i'd jump on the g5 train and modded it to fit my current rig, abiet without my raid setup. Anyways, I just recieved my front panel header through the post and I'm having some real trouble getting it to work, mainly due to conflicting diagrams and comments. I tried using some cable to connect my power button ground, I think..(mobo side) to pin 1, led pwr to 13 and the other pwr button cable to 14, and varous other arrangements. I don't really get a response. However due to my mobos unwanted habit of powering up when I plug it in I can at least see if my pin outs working.. Alas I've had no such luck as now my pc doesn't even wanna turn on. I know I havnt fried it as my iPod charges from it and I'm still getting a hum from my speakers. There's just no way to get it to work. I don't care about the USB or the FireWire on the panel. But the button and led are a must. I've got about 6 images of the pin out on my iPhone and none seem to work, ( ps I'm using the front panel cable too if it matters.)

some clarity and advice would be great

Check out this thread where insanelymac member dontthroworanges is making just such a cable http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209854

I have seen some mumblings about people working on adaptors that have the Apple 18-pin connector going to standard ATX plugs. Does anyone know anything more about this? I think this could help you. (and me)

Man, that is awesome. I am hoping to get my hands on one of these soon! I bought a G5 on ebay that is having some kind of graphics issue but besides that is fine. Might just have to use it with Leopard for awhile running the original hardware before I can afford the build I want to do. I will post details on my proposed build later.

Check out this thread where insanelymac member dontthroworanges is making just such a cable http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209854

Hello,

i have eventually got round to writing up my g5 (Powermac i7) build. The build dragged on for around 3 years, and i always ended up either running of money or just got bored with no working computer. However eventually I had the funds and the motivation to finish it. The plus points of the dragged out build time was that I got to see other people's ideas and with those their plus and negative points. I like the layout of my build and that fact that most hardware can be updated reasonably easily, but as i have crammed a lot in things are tight and the final assembly was hard.

Due to the {censored} way mobile me displays its pictures, and this forums weird image thingy combined with my laziness i cannot link to the images. However you can view the images i have put up so far here.

I have some more backed up somewhere showing the method and more detailed picture of the front radiator mount and the epoxy gluing of the motherboard tray to the case. If you have any questions of any items ask it! Most of what I did is already on here and i have just taken bit from everybodies builds. The build by nervouschimp was the changing point for me, as before I was going to butcher the back of the case, glad I didn't now.

All of the water cooling is by AquaComputer.de, great stuff and they have good customer service. When I first put everything in the case and set up the loop, my pump broke, and due to the way the case is assembled everything had to come out for me to get the pump out. Very annoying but it was all sorted for free by aqua computer. That is why the case goes from nearly done to square one again. I ran the case without water cooling whilst i was waiting for the fixed pump.

All in all i am happy with it although i have a few issues. The main one being there is a screw or something slightly loose, so it resonates sometimes - i have yet to track it down and fix it (i am lazy). Also during the second assembly i damaged a temperature probe and did not realise. This means the aquareo cannot tell the temp of the coolant so sticks the fans on full blast. Again have the part to fix it but i either have to drain the loop (not easy) or be really, really quick fitting the inline probe trying not to leak much coolant (again, i am lazy)

Let me know what you think! I will probably upload some photos to image bucket so i can do a proper log for you guys.

Oh and the specs: Intel Pentium 920 i7, gigabyte motherboard, 6gb Corsair 1600mhz, ati radeon 4870x2, LG Bluray/HD-DVD drive, 1TB HDD, 1.5TB HDD and soundblaster 2 audigy card.

Hi everyone - I'm a noob at case modding so your patience is appreciated.

The other day I came home from work and saw that a neighbor chucked his old power mac G5. What interested me mostly was the case, which appears to be in pretty good condition. I've been meaning to put together a Mac Pro hackintosh, so I jumped at the chance and took the machine. It has all of the internals as far as I can tell, and probably still works. (it was outside in the cold for a few hours it looks like and there was a little bit of condensation inside the case; I'm waiting for it to dry out before I boot it up). I'll post a list of the internals in case any one is interested.

I've seen a bunch of "how to" guides on the net; some with spectacular results that I'd like to replicate. Can anyone point me to one that's particularly good, and not terribly difficult to implement?

My goal is to create a functional PC/hackintoch chassi; Im not a mac pro purist and don't mind cutting away the back pannelt to fit a Lian Li mobo tray as some have done. Since there are a few scratches on the case, I'd also like to find out whether anyone has experience in removing scratches or polishing a mac pro/power mac G5 case. If it turns out to be a huge job, I may just live with the scratches.

Thanks everyone.

Only thing I am missing is the cover for the front IO cluster, as I appear to missing the thin silver cap.

Only thing I am missing is the cover for the front IO cluster, as I appear to missing the thin silver cap.

I can provide you with one. Where are you located (for the shipping costs). PM please . Thanks.

Looking really good! looks like you have done a lot of metal working on the back panel, just one question! how is the 120mm fan going to be attached to chassis?

Led, power button and FireWire share the same ground, usb has it's own.

If it does give power to a device it's good, maybe the TPA or TPBs are mixed and it causes the problems with FW...

hi, i want one PCB with cables please

i live in french polynesia is it possible to ship in my country?

thanks in advance

I am jumping head first into this project and already ran into a roadblock. You guessed it: the power button. I can't for the life of me figure this thing out. I got the LED to turn on when the system is powered (using pins 3 and 17 going into the power LED on my mobo), however I can't figure out the power button. I have tried sifting through all the diagrams on this thread, but still no luck.

My question is this: is it possible to only wire up the power button to get that working first? If so, which pins from the front panel need to go into the mobo power button pins? I appreciate any help!

Thank you for posting that PoloBear, I do appreciate it! On the topic, there are 4 pins on the mobo (2 for power button and 2 for power LED, so whcih one did you leave out? I assume powerbtn+ goes to the power button on the mobo, and LED goes to the LED on the mobo, but which pin does FW-GND go to on the mobo?

Thanks again.

Well, fellow modders, I'm at a crossroads here. I am considering purchasing a legit mac pro, as I am no longer interested hackintosh. My GHETTO-5 has been a great lil stealth hackintosh, so it'll be kind of a shame for it to go to waste. I guess my 2 options are A. part it out on ebay, or B. sell the whole system. If anyone is interested in taking over GHETTO-5, let me know, so I can field interest. I haven't had the best luck at getting snow leopard running on this board, mostly because I am lazy, and have lost interest. This machine has been running windows 7.

G5 modded case (featured in this thread)

intel i7 965 extreme (can do 4ghz at 1.25 vcore and passes prime95)

asus p6t ws profession x58 i7

12gigs g.skill ddr3 1600 low latency ram

areca pci-x raid card (native support leopard and snow leopard)

2 300GB western digital velociraptors in raid 0.

gtx 280 1GB

I would rather sell the machine together as a whole kit than part it out, but that might not be realistic. I think the most practical thing to do is to sell the parts individually and case individually on ebay.

Heres' what GHETTO-5 is looking like these days:

Ghetto-5_i7_1.jpg