[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

I'm currently working with same project :(

Worklog is here if you wanna have a look:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=220390

Got one solution for ethernet connector:

Tear it open, remove black box saying Midcom 7277-30, that's an magnetic isolator.

Then just solder cables directly to green pcb =)

Picture:

http://s0lid.bx.fi/kuva/powermac/DSC_0328.JPG?size=1280x1024

Works like charm, tested with Via Epia-M

Looks good!

thanks for informing us about the LAN port, im gonna find that useful!!

also i know its too late now, but you didnt need to saw off those stand-offs.... they just pull out!

@ Baudouin: do you accept paypal? i will get round to paying you and sorting it out!!! im just real busy with work mate!

I'm currently working with same project ;)

Worklog is here if you wanna have a look:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=220390

Got one solution for ethernet connector:

Tear it open, remove black box saying Midcom 7277-30, that's an magnetic isolator.

Then just solder cables directly to green pcb =)

Picture:

http://s0lid.bx.fi/kuva/powermac/DSC_0328.JPG?size=1280x1024

Works like charm, tested with Via Epia-M

doh the DFI mATX x58 board doesn't have firewire... I don't really care that much about having firewire in my system, I'm just concerned about the front panel grounding... do I need firewire for that?

no, as far as im aware just wire the firewire ground to a spare usb ground or power switch ground.

Looks good!

thanks for informing us about the LAN port, im gonna find that useful!!

also i know its too late now, but you didnt need to saw off those stand-offs.... they just pull out!

You're welcome :(

Oh well doesn't matter anymore, were just too suspicius that those stand-offs would have been more deeper :|

Btw if someone is interested, i can make adapters for frontpanels 18pin connector :)

post-389315-1237379990_thumb.jpg

post-389315-1237380002_thumb.jpg

You're welcome :unsure:

Oh well doesn't matter anymore, were just too suspicius that those stand-offs would have been more deeper :|

Btw if someone is interested, i can make adapters for frontpanels 18pin connector :)

post-389315-1237379990_thumb.jpg

post-389315-1237380002_thumb.jpg

I bought the components recommended by nervouschimp, so im not in need of PCB. however somebody else might! :)

how much would you want for one of those PCBs xs solid

Xsolid, I would be interested in an adapter for my front panel - I have the stock g5 apple front panel cable. Let me know!

thanks,

Wes

Xsolid, I would be interested in an adapter for my front panel - I have the stock g5 apple front panel cable. Let me know!

thanks,

Wes

About ~6-8$ + shippings for the board + cable connectors

Like in this picture

post-389315-1237995959_thumb.jpg

And with 70cm long cables ~12-15$ + shippings.

Just pics:

post-389315-1237996036_thumb.jpg Yea i know i did the audio cable too short, tho this is for my own build...

post-389315-1237996123_thumb.jpg

Got one cable set almoust done, then i ran out of pins for those connector, need to go get more tomorrow. FW cabling left to do for this one. calbes are 73cm long so those shouldn't get too short.

The color scheme is what it's, there weren't any other colorcoded cables..

post-389315-1238082443_thumb.jpg

If possible i'd rather not take more orders, well until i get this series done and shipped.

Just out of interest, what screws have people used to fit their optical drives. i got a nasty surprise when i rang me local reseller about the apple screws and he told me they were £19! Screw that!! I've looked around and tried a couple but they don't fit!

Just out of interest, what screws have people used to fit their optical drives. i got a nasty surprise when i rang me local reseller about the apple screws and he told me they were £19! Screw that!! I've looked around and tried a couple but they don't fit!

Ouch! I've the oringinal screws here, if you can find flad headed m3 screws and some thich washers, that should do the trick...

And i well know what i'll be doing this weekend, cables!

Ouch! I've the oringinal screws here, if you can find flad headed m3 screws and some thich washers, that should do the trick...

Hello, (XS)s0lid I sent you a PM.

tbh im not entirely sure which screws class as optical drive screws as my drive didnt come with any. mobo screws are the closest, but i dont think they are long enough for the drive to clear through the slot. i think the bottom of the tray will foul on the case.

tbh im not entirely sure which screws class as optical drive screws as my drive didnt come with any. mobo screws are the closest, but i dont think they are long enough for the drive to clear through the slot. i think the bottom of the tray will foul on the case.

E: Bloody IE...

Ok, Got 6 fresh PCBs ready for soldering, 2 cable sets done except FW cable (pinout WIP).

which screws do you have? there are two versions? are they a hex head? also does your drive eject properly or does it catch the case?

oooh monday today! can i smell some fresh PCBs? lol

which screws do you have? there are two versions? are they a hex head? also does your drive eject properly or does it catch the case?

oooh monday today! can i smell some fresh PCBs? lol

Yup hex head, haven't tested the drive at all. I'll take pic from those later today.

Yes, read my earilers post =)