[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

I went on different shops today to find short extension cables but I couldn't find all of them and worst : the were all 1.5m or 3m or 5m long (these were the shortest ones).

So I'm now thinking about cutting the rear of the case to fit a ATX rear like this for example :

post-543444-1279648472_thumb.jpg

I went on different shops today to find short extension cables but I couldn't find all of them and worst : the were all 1.5m or 3m or 5m long (these were the shortest ones).

So I'm now thinking about cutting the rear of the case to fit a ATX rear like this for example :

Take a look at eBay. I got mine from there.

cable2.jpg

(15cm cable)

Your's is a DVI to VGA and VGA to DVI so you loose the DVI high resolution.

After all it's even better to cut the rear because with a powerful graphic card, the air flow that comes out flows directly outside the case. And there is less cables thats might block the airflow.

I've got my case, and I'll post some photos tomorrow.

anyone has an idea on how to modify the front panel without the little cable ? or maybe you know where i can buy it from...

UPDATE

I went on an "Apple premium reseller" (because we don't have Apple Stores in belgium :censored2: ) to ask for this cable, they send me on another shop and I asked for this cable but they needed the serial number, I just have to come back.

So I am saying to everyone : this cable can be found, just ask in your Apple store.

post-543444-1280246714_thumb.png

Hi,

I received my components this morning so I am posting new picts of my G5 case mod.

I removed all the original screws :

post-543444-1280319934_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1280320142_thumb.jpg

then I destroyed a PC case (that I bought about 20€) :

post-543444-1280320033_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1280320047_thumb.jpg

I just had to cut off the part where you had to place the PSU, not a very big deal.

After that, I had a problem : I can't find a way to place the PC part because it blocks the screws for the "top floor". I'll maybe have to cut a tiny part of the PC metal so that I can access those screws.

post-543444-1280320440_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1280320481_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1280320502_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1280320592_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1280320602_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1280320611_thumb.jpg

You don't need the "top floor" screws in the G5 case itself - the screw risers can be pulled off by holding onto them with pliers, then twisting/pulling them off.

I kept these risers, and ground them down to the right height to old the ATX tray in place, then re-mounted them in the right place using JB Weld.

JB

Hi,

I received yesterday my front panel cable. I followed some diagrams and tested the power button with a multimeter : it works even alone so I'm pretty happy. Here are the pics. I'll connect everything else (USB, sound, led, FireWire) after cutting the case.

post-543444-1280513843_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1280513873_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1280513934_thumb.jpg

actually, i mounted the motherboard from my Optiplex GX 260 into my G5 case with no problems what so ever. i cut out the back panel of the G5 case and cut out my own to match the motherboard and pop riveted on the case and it looks original. will upload pics as soon as its done

Hi,

I manage to put the ATX power supply on the top of the case because on the bottom it would hits the RAM.

To put the PSU in that place, i had to cut a part of the "top floor" for the air flow. I also cut a hole at the rear for the AC cable to plug in the PSU.

All the cables I don't need from the power supply fit over the DVD drive, right now it's just a big mess but it fits.

Power button is working perfectly ;)

My working config is :

Asus P6T SE

Intel Core i7 930 @2,88ghz

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-x 1go

2x2go DDR3 PC3 1066 CAS 7

1to for windows and 1,5to for Mac OS X

OF COURSE : PowerMac G5 case !!

I installed Mac OS X 10.6.4 with a retail install + vanilla kernel + chameleon 2.0 RC3 and my graphic card is working perfectly, thanks to [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.1.2.

post-543444-1281042546_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281042557_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281042568_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281042578_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281042587_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281042595_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281042608_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281042618_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281042660_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281042674_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281042684_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281042698_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281042718_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281042732_thumb.jpg

I've read the pages about hooking the G5 fans up to the PSU, but has anyone tried attaching them to an ATX motherboard? I was just curious. I was thinking about doing this and was looking to see if anyone else has.

PSU = Power Supply Unit. If you look back around Pages 3-6ish, there's talk of taking the wires from the G5 fans, putting them in Molex connectors and connecting them directly to the Power Supply to power them, rather than hooking the fans up to the motherboard for control.

I hadn't been able to find anything about anyone hooking the fans up to the motherbaord plugs for fans with these fans and was wondering if anybody had.

My work is almost finished.

I finished the front panel : got everything working except FireWire (which I don't need : I already got a FireWire at the rear of the case, on the botherboard).

I placed the DVD drive and fit all the PSU cables that I don't need over it.

The only things I need manage are the fans : I currently have the 2 back fans on the front just because I don't have my 170/200mm (not sure which will fit). I will have one or two (2 if it fits) 170/200mm on the front, and the 2 Apple back fans at the rear.

post-543444-1281621592_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281621784_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281625645_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281625660_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281625673_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281625685_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281625696_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281625715_thumb.jpg

post-543444-1281625736_thumb.jpg

Hi all.

I've just found this thread, and I have seen a lot of helpful information in here.

Anyway I'm on the late stages of modding a G5 to fit an ATX motherboard and related components. The biggest problems I've had are wiring up the Front panel, and the fans. I've successfully solved those problem, thanks to the information found here. I'm going to get started on the front I/O panel this afternoon!

Here are a couple shots of my progress, the entire log can be found over at hardocp. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1528674

P1080796.jpg

P1080849.jpg

If you want to use the original front panel (which I did) : here is the diagram I used.

The ground (number 2 : V-GROUND) is the same wire for the power button, the LED and the FireWire. You just have to connect it to the FireWire (as shown on the picture), the power button and LED will work with only one wire each (I know it's weired but it works) IF THE FIREWIRE IS CONNECTED TO THE MOTHERBOARD. If you don't want to use FireWire, just wire the ground to the one from the power button. LED will work with one wire.

USB and sound are independant, nothing to worry about.

For the sound, I only wired 3 cable (out of 4) : 16,17 and 18 on the diagram. These are left, right and COM. I didn't wire the "sense" because my internal PC sound cable had only 3 wires (+ 2 for the mic, which I didn't connect)

Just ask if you have more question on this

post-543444-1281642365_thumb.jpg

If you want to use the original front panel (which I did) : here is the diagram I used.

The ground (number 2 : V-GROUND) is the same wire for the power button, the LED and the FireWire. You just have to connect it to the FireWire (as shown on the picture), the power button and LED will work with only one wire each (I know it's weired but it works) IF THE FIREWIRE IS CONNECTED TO THE MOTHERBOARD. If you don't want to use FireWire, just wire the ground to the one from the power button. LED will work with one wire.

USB and sound are independant, nothing to worry about.

For the sound, I only wired 3 cable (out of 4) : 16,17 and 18 on the diagram. These are left, right and COM. I didn't wire the "sense" because my internal PC sound cable had only 3 wires (+ 2 for the mic, which I didn't connect)

Just ask if you have more question on this

Wow, that's truly amazing! I appreciate it. I have the little cable, so this task should become quite easy.

OK so you want to use the original PSU "case" at the botom, and just fit an ATX PSU in it.

For that, you HAVE to use a mATX motherboard (an ATX MB won't fit in).

Umm......yeah, I do have the G5 Power Supply enclosure and want to use it to retrofit a ATX PSU in it, but that's not what I was inquiring about. I've figured that out and it's not too hard to do. I was asking more toward the original exhaust fans (like the HD cage and rear exhaust fan) and attaching them to them to a ATX motherboard that would control turning them on and off.

At any rate, you don't have to use a mATX Mobo if you have the G5 PSU enclosure. The G5 logic board is roughly the same size as an ATX board, if not bigger. It fit fine in there with the G5 PSU. I've done the measurements and it'll be fine. If you mount the board in the vertical position like in your design, then yes, you'd need a mATX board. The direction I'm going, however, won't require a smaller board.

Ninteens...AWESOME DESIGN! I love what you've done with your case!

Whoooaaaah, that's a nice choice of colors! Great job!!!

Hi all.

I've just found this thread, and I have seen a lot of helpful information in here.

Anyway I'm on the late stages of modding a G5 to fit an ATX motherboard and related components. The biggest problems I've had are wiring up the Front panel, and the fans. I've successfully solved those problem, thanks to the information found here. I'm going to get started on the front I/O panel this afternoon!

Here are a couple shots of my progress, the entire log can be found over at hardocp. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1528674

P1080796.jpg

P1080849.jpg

ninteens you've done a really good job to attach the rear, very clean.

I don't really like the red color, I prefer the original design. That's just a choice ;) but what you have done here is really good. I may go for a water-cooling system like you have done, but that's not for now.

Gatorman I think if you want to put a full ATX motherboard in the G5 case + the original PSU enclosure, you may have to cut a part of the "top floor" but you will loose the top PCI slot

For the sake of argument, I'm not sure why I'd need to cut the case. If you mount the motherboard as you did in your design, then yes, you will need to do so. However, the Power Mac G5 Logic Board is actually LARGER in size than an ATX motherboard. So, a ATX motherboard will fit fine inside the case with the original power supply enclosure. It just needs to be mounted on its side (like the G5 Logic Board was) for it to fit fine. That case is HUGE with a TON of room that will easily accommodate both the G5 PSU enclosure and ATX board. ;)

For the sake of argument, I'm not sure why I'd need to cut the case. If you mount the motherboard as you did in your design, then yes, you will need to do so. However, the Power Mac G5 Logic Board is actually LARGER in size than an ATX motherboard. So, a ATX motherboard will fit fine inside the case with the original power supply enclosure. It just needs to be mounted on its side (like the G5 Logic Board was) for it to fit fine. That case is HUGE with a TON of room that will easily accommodate both the G5 PSU enclosure and ATX board. :(

That's the only way. An ATX board is taller than the space allows if mounting it in a traditional manner. I tried to think of a good way to mount the board 90 degrees counterclockwise, but it created more problems for me.

For one, my graphics card is long, and having it hang vertically would interfere with the Stock G5 PSU. And I couldn't get the motivation to rewire the pinouts on the stock rear panel.

That's the reasoning behind the Lian Li tray and rear panel. Even so, I only lose one PCI slot, both PCI express slots are accessible.

The amount of cutting is pretty minor. I cut WAY more than was needed.

P1080487.jpg