[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

Nice case you have there hacOSXuser!

Amantheboy.... i must have deleted those pictures, i lost all interest in my g5 case when i got a mac pro.

An unfuctioning logic board will probably not sell/for a few $$, cant imagine why anybody would buy a broken, out of date piece of silicon.

If your placing your psu in the bottom of the g5 case where the original was then you dont need to do that wire hack i was talking about because the psu will be in the same place as the original, the only reason i brought it up was because i didnt know where you were putting it.

ha whilst re-reading this whole thread i found this post i wrote a year ago. how ironic, now im after a broken, out of date piece of silicon.....

LOOL, Like, I said Soomthy, Does anyone want to buy a Broken Logic Board, By the way it's me amantheboy. Someone bought it off of me for $45. Lol

Oh.. that was just my first trial on the case. I disasembled the tray off an old case and glued it inside the G5 case ;)

But I've got to be honest, I'm still improvisating because I really can't find some internal parts here in Brazil and I'm not with an International Card ATM.

I bought my case at www.allmac.com but it came without any inside parts.

I'm really desperate to find three things:

Front Panel Board (922-5979): http://www.welovemacs.com/9225979.html

PCI Divider (922-6707): http://www.welovemacs.com/9226207.html

Optical drive EMI Shield (922-6036): http://www.mac-pro.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2304/.f

I replaced my pc parts (used to have a 775 board with a Q6600), and now i'm using a modular psu, but the position remains the same as the pics in page 21 (still a mess).

My PSU and HDs remains on the same position as the picture.

I already have a brand new tray prepared with 2x90mm fans but until I buy the PCI Divider (so I could keep the optical drive and the PSU above and the rest below it) I think there's nothing to do right now.

Oh.. that was just my first trial on the case. I disasembled the tray off an old case and glued it inside the G5 case :P

But I've got to be honest, I'm still improvisating because I really can't find some internal parts here in Brazil and I'm not with an International Card ATM.

Optical drive EMI Shield (922-6036): http://www.mac-pro.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2304/.f

I replaced my pc parts (used to have a 775 board with a Q6600), and now i'm using a modular psu, but the position remains the same as the pics in page 21 (still a mess).

I already have a brand new tray prepared with 2x90mm fans but until I buy the PCI Divider (so I could keep the optical drive and the PSU above and the rest below it) I think there's nothing to do right now.

do you have no service centres in Brazil?

can you expand on the gluing of the tray? i though that looked like what you have done... this thought is crossing my mind now... can you possibly post some more pics? what did you use? how strong is it?

also what cooler have you got on your 920 to get 3.9?

also what cooler have you got on your 920 to get 3.9?

Simply the best one: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme + 1366 bolt-thru kit ;)

do you have no service centres in Brazil?

Yes we have but they say they have some sort of contact with Apple that prevent them to sell those parts alone. They can only provide parts for a real Mac with a real Serial Number (I know..).

can you expand on the gluing of the tray? i though that looked like what you have done... this thought is crossing my mind now... can you possibly post some more pics? what did you use? how strong is it?

Well.. I don't know the name of this kind of glue in english, sorry but my vocabulary is a bit limited :) Is a glue used for metal and it's used by conbining two different components like this:

2320559428_f47196fb6d.jpg

For the HDs, I'm using a Thermaltake iCage:

2312033828_ca83081841.jpg

2312033980_727e1c9ed7.jpg

2311224191_b85b3317ec.jpg

Then after mixing the two components, I had to place the tray on the case and something above it for a while:

2320558938_e22a2fe653.jpg

2320559106_3a47e8485e.jpg

Later I was able to mount the real board for the first time:

2319747213_5bfc3d0bb2.jpg

2320559802_1209a41ca8.jpg

2320559980_a2f513b30b.jpg

Some other pics:

2319750427_65bafb83b2.jpg

2319750593_d2bc87b9df.jpg

2320563060_d1a5eca352.jpg

2320563248_4c296afbb9.jpg

2320563398_83d5ab54e9.jpg

I'm at work right now, later at home I'll post some updated pics.

@smoothyboothy : http://www.jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

jb-weld ftw

DiaboliK - thats what i plan to use... got loads of the stuff here. i used it back when i was at school to in my engineering classes. it wasnt strong enough for what i needed it for... i was lathing it and it failed... hence me asking about the strength of the bond. its possible i didnt quite get the mixture right... so im gonna make sure this time.. if it isnt strong enough ill try another route.

ha, this is essentially what i plan to do with the mobo tray. how strong is the bond? did you roughen the two surfaces before bonding?

It's not like a superglue wich actually happens to be something good, let's say.. in case you regret later :D

But it depends mostly if both surfaces are very flat. In my case, the tray I'm using now it's not very flat and I had to apply like 3 layers to keep it steady.

i do two applications, one to just get it in place and bonded. then once that is dried i apply another "safety" layer and let that cure.

it holds my asus z7s plus 2x noctua nb-h9's. a great bit of weight just for those.

-D-

Baudouin

do you still have those logic board for sale?

Anybody else got hold of some?

Here are some pix smooth

connectors views :

img5486wh5.jpg

img5487lx4.jpg

Mobo upper side

img5485ch8.jpg

Mobo down side

img5488ap6.jpg

how do you apply a safety layer after it has bonded? sort of smear it round the edges?

i am worried about my mobo tray, as it is warped... ive tried to straighten it. i came home from the pub one night.... and basically annihilated my mobo tray, an old motherboard, my head and my back! good night!

how do you apply a safety layer after it has bonded? sort of smear it round the edges?

yep thats basically what i did

check out the after pic :

IMG_1424.jpg

those are apple torx head mobo screws on apple mobo posts if you kids are wondering.

-D-

Oh.. that was just my first trial on the case. I disasembled the tray off an old case and glued it inside the G5 case -_-

Hello FabricioGS,

I can provide you the PCI divider and the Optical drive EMI Shield. Any idea of the shipping costs from belgium to Brazil ? PM me if you're interested. Salute

i think that would be easier for what you did... but i am attaching the actual tray... no standoffs on the back..

as i'm using a server board a tray would'nt have worked well in my favor, plus all mods with trays look like crapola to me.

-D-

Picked up a broken g5 at the local repair shop and I'm finally ready to get started! Am very glad I stumbled across this post because I had given up on keeping the back panel stock... but now I'm going to go for an internal mobo tray + extenders a la Nervous Chimp.

Build will be x58/i7 once efi-x certifies x58 mobos...

post-389471-1236735226_thumb.jpg

post-389471-1236735233_thumb.jpg

post-389471-1236735240_thumb.jpg

post-389471-1236735247_thumb.jpg

post-389471-1236735333_thumb.jpg

post-389471-1236735338_thumb.jpg

post-389471-1236735344_thumb.jpg

post-389471-1236735349_thumb.jpg

doh the DFI mATX x58 board doesn't have firewire... I don't really care that much about having firewire in my system, I'm just concerned about the front panel grounding... do I need firewire for that?

Hello FabricioGS,

I can provide you the PCI divider and the Optical drive EMI Shield. Any idea of the shipping costs from belgium to Brazil ? PM me if you're interested. Salute

Thanks, but how could I pay you? If I had an international credit card I would had already bought those parts from welovemacs.com.

I really have no clue about the shipping costs but it would have to be sent by UPS, Fedex or something like that.

Thanks, but how could I pay you? If I had an international credit card I would had already bought those parts from welovemacs.com.

I really have no clue about the shipping costs but it would have to be sent by UPS, Fedex or something like that.

I will check the UPS rate to Brazil . For the payment you can use WesterUnion or send a Post cheque.