[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

I have a 2.5ghz quad-core G5 that won't power up properly. LED #7 stays red. I was considering taking it in for service, but I have too many systems.

You can try to repair it or use it as the basis for one sweet case mod for a Hackinstosh. I've built two already!

There isn't a video card or hard drive. I've repurposed those parts. The board still has 2gb of RAM and all the other internals.

Message me if you're interested.

I have a 2.5ghz quad-core G5 that won't power up properly. LED #7 stays red. I was considering taking it in for service, but I have too many systems.

You can try to repair it or use it as the basis for one sweet case mod for a Hackinstosh. I've built two already!

There isn't a video card or hard drive. I've repurposed those parts. The board still has 2gb of RAM and all the other internals.

Message me if you're interested.

I don't quite get it : do you mean you have an intel quad core in a G5 case (q6600 as it says in your signature) ? And you're saying it doesn't boot anymore isn't it ?

So are you asking for someone to solve your problem or are you giving your case ?

Searched less than 5 page before this one and found this drawing. Hope it will help you

Could all of you share your location ? Could be interesting to know in what country the best modders are… lol

I am from brussels in belgium

post-543444-1271788650_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm about 4 years late to the party, but I'm starting to mod a G5 case and I'm looking to get some assistance. In reading the thread, I've found how to get the fans working, how to swap out the innerds of the G5 PSU and insert an ATX PSU, and how to wire the front panel, but I'm having difficult finding some detailed instructions on how to wire the original back I/O port. I know some people have been able to do it, but I can't find anything detailed for me to follow.

I figured since I had the original motherboard, I may as well try to do it using this method. I do not want to take the "easy" way out by hacking up the case and using the Lian Li motherboard tray. I want to keep the case as is, so I feel my only options are to cut the original back I/O ports off the original motherboard or use cable extenders like NervousChimp.

Any assistance in finding instructions on how to wire in the original back I/O panel would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
I've done it too. My case was new but stripped of all internal components including bezel I/O board, and internal mounting hardware. I actually paid extra for the optical drive door! My how things have changed. I could've ordered the rest of the parts for $20 a pop, but all I really needed were the drive mounts, which I made myself out of a $5 sheet of aluminum. I had plans making my own bezel I/O board and also making an "adapter board" that would plug into the back of my motherboard and relocate the mobo's rear I/O ports to the case's rear I/O panel. But I havn't really had time to implement that elegant solution. In the meantime, I've basically rerouted all the essential ports (VGA, stereo-out, ethernet) to the first PCI slot. I also bought one of those PCI brackets with four USB ports, that plugs into the auxiliary USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard (it's a standard part, I forget what it's called). Anyway it's a temporary solution, but it works great. Other than that, my rig is pretty slick. I even got the power LED working.

But there's a couple of things I noticed from the pictures that I've done a little differently. First, you should remove the optical drive bezzel (from the drive, not the G5 case). The reason is it doesn't play nicely with the case's drive door, and you could also have some clearance issues. The optical drives in the real G5s have their bezels removed too, so that's how it's supposed to work. It's easy to do. First, stick a paper clip in the drive to eject the tray. Then carefully pop the plate off the tray. If you need to remove the rest of the bezel, you can do so simply by pressing a few small tabs on around the perimeter with a small flat blade screw driver.

The second thing I noticed was that you used a hack saw to remove the standoffs. I guess it's too late now, but you could've just used a pair of pliers. Just rock them slightly and give a good tug, and they come out cleanly. But that's just FYI, I know it's too late. Anyway, nice job so far, and welcome to the club.

Photo.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I was looking for a guide for my project :(

• 1 month later...
I know I'm about 4 years late to the party, but I'm starting to mod a G5 case and I'm looking to get some assistance. In reading the thread, I've found how to get the fans working, how to swap out the innerds of the G5 PSU and insert an ATX PSU, and how to wire the front panel, but I'm having difficult finding some detailed instructions on how to wire the original back I/O port. I know some people have been able to do it, but I can't find anything detailed for me to follow.

Here is the instruction on how pirloui was attempting to get some of the original rear I/O ports working.

I have a case and am also looking into building this atm.

I was wondering if anyone could PLEASE help me!

I bought a G5 case a while back which was pristine, went on holiday and came back to find the inside of the case full of areas of corrosion / oxidisation. They were centered around smudges which someone had obviously left when removing the internal parts before I bought it (maybe some corrosive cooling fluid or oil was on their fingers).

None of these damaged areas were visible when I bought the case, it didnt make them because I used gloves to work inside so maybe the house got damp when I was away or something. The inside of the G5 case is not anodised like the outside (which is fine) and now it looks quite terrible which is such a shame.

I know there have been other stories of Apple aluminium corrosion, people have had pitting and oxidisation on their macbooks. Basically what can I do to get rid of it? I have tried using silvo polish which works to some extent but makes the matt finish turn shiny. I could sandblast but it will look questionable and I would have to un-rivet the case.

I have had this issue for over a while now because the damage put me off the case mod completely for over a year, its just been sitting there and hasnt got any worse or better.

Can someone help?

Thanks.

Hi everyone, i just bought an empty G5 case without power supplier. And my question's where's to find it? Is there a shop? please PM me if you know something. Thanks a lot. And thanks a lot for this great Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm going to get my powermac g5 case next wednesday and mod it as nervouschimp did : gluing small extension cables for USB, FIREWIRE, Ethernet, sound to wire it to the motherboard on the inside of the case.

Here is my configuration :

- Core i7 930 @ 2,88ghz

- ATI Radeon HD5870 1go VaporX

- 2x2go RAM DDR3

- Asus P6T/Asus P6T SE (I'm not sure on what board to use : it depends on wich will be available on the website)

- 22" Full HD monitor

I will upload the photos when I'll have the case.

Where do you guys buy your cases?

I live in Europe and the only G5 cases for sale are on ebay in usa, and i dont want to pay $200-300 shipping cost + taxes.

Hi I'm from belgium and when I searched for a case, I couldn't find one in my country but there are lots of G5 in Paris. Have a look at http://occasion.macgeneration.com/showcat.php/cat/56.

There are some that are still working, so they are expensive, but you can find a case-only for 150€.

Hi everyone, i just bought an empty G5 case without power supplier. And my question's where's to find it? Is there a shop? please PM me if you know something. Thanks a lot. And thanks a lot for this great Forum

To make a hackintosh you HAVE to get a ATX power supply, so the powermac G5 stock PSU won't work if that's what you are searching for.

You can find one at any informatics shop or on the internet, just buy it where you buy your components : it's the easiest way.

check marktplaats.nl

T

Thank you for this :) but I am getting my case at 85€ and there is no such price on your website. I'll post photos as soon as I got the case which is next week (I'll post it at the end of next week).

Could be useful for one of my friend and other people on the forum.

Thank you for this -_- but I am getting my case at 85€ and there is no such price on your website. I'll post photos as soon as I got the case which is next week (I'll post it at the end of next week).

Could be useful for one of my friend and other people on the forum.

OK, yes 85,- is a good price

I think this guy is selling them cheap

http://computer-software.marktplaats.nl/ap...en-mac-pro.html

T