[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

fitted the cooler to my radeon 4870x2 tonight, man this scares me. its one expensive, long card and with this cooler, it bends...... makes me shiver!

not long now!! when i get my pump mount, after the missus decided to throw my initial one away, i can actually start to fill the loop and get leak testing!!! eeek!

I've also recently purchased a G5 case on ebay which is in really good condition. I've started modding it Nervouschimp 'style but have made some significant changes to the layout. I'm uploading pics to photobucket and will update once up.

Ok, 5 pcbs done in total, 2 cable sets.

But back to my own project -_-

Got the BlackIce 184 GTX today, that's one fat rad.

post-389315-1238685249_thumb.jpg

post-389315-1238685264_thumb.jpg

Need to little improve that mounting, not the most secure there is.

Yes that rad will come over the first pci/pcie slot, worry not in my mobo pci-e x16 slot is at second place, that is just dead dummy board :)

But back to my own project B)

Got the BlackIce 184 GTX today, that's one fat rad.

post-389315-1238685249_thumb.jpg

post-389315-1238685264_thumb.jpg

Need to little improve that mounting, not the most secure there is.

Yes that rad will come over the first pci/pcie slot, worry not in my mobo pci-e x16 slot is at second place, that is just dead dummy board ;)

looks good man! yeh theres some thickness on the radiator. how many you gonna be having in your system?

nice keyboard :P

you want paying for one of those PCBs?

looks good man! yeh theres some thickness on the radiator. how many you gonna be having in your system?

nice keyboard :(

you want paying for one of those PCBs?

Patience my friend :]

I'll let you know and rest of you when i've these ready (i'll try to ship these out at once).

Patience my friend :]

I'll let you know and rest of you when i've these ready (i'll try to ship these out at once).

:( sorry, i dont mean to sound impatient. well im not in any major rush. i cant finish my case until i get a mount from germany, as nobody in the UK holds stock of it, and thats gonna take two weeks! I'm also waiting on cables from datapro over the pond, so thats looking at 6weeks aswell! i can live without the cables though, but i need that mount!

im interested in your mod xs! what layout are you planning? the other forum is down so i cant see your posts there.

Thanks for the warm comments :)

By "Nervouschimp style" I meant that I modded my case in a similar fashion to his.

I've received cables and epoxied them into place (ethernet, usb, firewire, etc) and built my system in. I'm trying to get osx86 (specifically iDeneb 10.5.6) onto the MSI X58 board with raid0 (on the ich10r chipset.) So far I've created the array and am installing, but it reboots at startup :/ Anyway, uploading pics now.

Thanks for the warm comments :D

By "Nervouschimp style" I meant that I modded my case in a similar fashion to his.

I've received cables and epoxied them into place (ethernet, usb, firewire, etc) and built my system in. I'm trying to get osx86 (specifically iDeneb 10.5.6) onto the MSI X58 board with raid0 (on the ich10r chipset.) So far I've created the array and am installing, but it reboots at startup :/ Anyway, uploading pics now.

make sure that you are booting with busratio=20 in your kernel flags. also boot with -v and let me know what error it either hangs on or reboots on (if your quick enough :D). i have the gigabyte i7 board but hopefully i should be able to lend you a hand!

also pics are looking good. i need to upload my latest pics but my internet sucks big time!

good luck & keep posting!

Nice! Just let me know when you are ready. Thanks Again!

DSC00497.jpg

DSC00498.jpg

DSC00499.jpg

DSC00500.jpg

DSC00501.jpg

DSC00502.jpg

Nice Job. Love the Lighting of the Photos, Hope my Fan Diagrams helped out as well.

teknojunkie,

Please, please (I'm begging) do not quote images (ever!).

:D

hey... I couldn't leave it blank... plus, it wasn't all of them. I admit I have no idea why i did that, yes someone had to say that lool, people qoute the whole gallery im like damn...

anybody feel like lending a hand with wiring up the g5 motherboard ports?

first off, how much should i cut off? i cant use the holes that you have used solid, as i have connectors covering them. so there are holes further back where they will line up with the indents in my case for the stand-offs. my question is, do you have to remove most of the board to make the ports work?

second. i cannot find a pinout for the ethernet anywhere (hint hint xs solid lol) and thanks to the pinouts posted a couple of pages back by pirloui (sorry if the spelling is wrong) i have usb, and firewire, however there is not indication of which is pin 1 on the firewire.

im not connecting audio up, as im using 5.1 from my soundblaster audigy 2 :(

thanks for any help!

anybody feel like lending a hand with wiring up the g5 motherboard ports?

first off, how much should i cut off? i cant use the holes that you have used solid, as i have connectors covering them. so there are holes further back where they will line up with the indents in my case for the stand-offs. my question is, do you have to remove most of the board to make the ports work?

second. i cannot find a pinout for the ethernet anywhere (hint hint xs solid lol) and thanks to the pinouts posted a couple of pages back by pirloui (sorry if the spelling is wrong) i have usb, and firewire, however there is not indication of which is pin 1 on the firewire.

im not connecting audio up, as im using 5.1 from my soundblaster audigy 2 :(

thanks for any help!

What comes to ethernet, you need to tear it open a bit :P

Remove that black box inside the back of that connector and everything ins inside it. then there should be only one pcb left and there you can connect ethernet cables directly.

Like in this pic: http://s0lid.bx.fi/kuva/powermac/DSC_0328.JPG?size=1280x1024

And in my case there were even less left of that pcb than shown in that pic :P

all my pics of this project are here: http://s0lid.bx.fi/selaa/powermac/

What comes to ethernet, you need to tear it open a bit :)

Remove that black box inside the back of that connector and everything ins inside it. then there should be only one pcb left and there you can connect ethernet cables directly.

Like in this pic: http://s0lid.bx.fi/kuva/powermac/DSC_0328.JPG?size=1280x1024

And in my case there were even less left of that pcb than shown in that pic :P

all my pics of this project are here: http://s0lid.bx.fi/selaa/powermac/

so once you have ripped it open, that single pcb which is left, is the standard ethernet pinout?

so does it not matter if i cut the mobo further back? none of whats still left on will affect me using the ports?

so once you have ripped it open, that single pcb which is left, is the standard ethernet pinout?

so does it not matter if i cut the mobo further back? none of whats still left on will affect me using the ports?

Yup, as you can see from my pic =)

Well if you mean the powermacs orig mobo, i don't see no reason it wouldn't...

Yup, as you can see from my pic =)

Well if you mean the powermacs orig mobo, i don't see no reason it wouldn't...

thanks for the help!

can i just solder directly to the back of the powermac board then (except for the ethernet)?

thanks for the help!

can i just solder directly to the back of the powermac board then (except for the ethernet)?

Yep, testing those boards atm, front usb don't work. Yet...

Need to check are the connections done rigth.

E: ah nothing serious :]

Cable were backwards

Yep, testing those boards atm, front usb don't work. Yet...

Need to check are the connections done rigth.

E: ah nothing serious :]

Cable were backwards

thats good news!

i, myself wasnt meaning your front panel boards. can i solder directly to the back of the old g5 motherboard, or is there something else i have to do prior to soldering?