No Wake From Sleep - Discussion / Fixes thread

munky

219 posts in this topic

Okay I think I have found a fix to some people who get a black screen or nothing on wake. This is only for people with Airport. What I did was use original EFI strings. Then Sleep WORKED! But I installed an Airport Card and would give me a black screen. So now what I tried to do was turn off Airport and put the PC on Sleep. And It fired back up. So hopefully this works for you guys. Just my :(

Amantheboy

Tekno Junkie ©

Ironically... I have the exact same problem, but on my real Mac (a MacBook Pro)

I actually just reinstalled the operating system last week, but for the last year I've been in the habit of never putting it to sleep, so I haven't tried yet. Maybe it's fixed now, I'll try soon. This is running Leopard, however.

• 1 month later...

I too am having a wake up issue. I'm running a retail 10.5.5 install. The notebook will wake from sleep perhaps 3 in 20 times. The only pattern I have been able to observe is that when it fails to work from sleep the error console says:

Error: Apple80211Scan() error 6
Error: __performScan failed (6)

These errors do not show up when the system correctly wakes. Disabling wireless before sleeping does not help at all. The strange thing is physically removing the wireless card does not fix the problem but only removes the error messages. System specs in profile.

• 1 month later...

I am running an Acer Aspire 5610 that has 10.5.4 and it went to sleep, now it will not wake using either the original drive or the Vista one. Every time on start it looks like everything is working and then nothing happens to the LCD or the external monitor. Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

[Hay is there anyone who has had a problem with the apple update, if i update the software it wont boot osx back it just scrolls the screen and reboots but it seems as thogh you have to use the software on the osx 86 disc any thoughts other then a sound driver problem my e machine pentium d is working great

I found this page which explains how to change sleep mode of Leopard. Might be useful for some people?

Terminal command to check your current mode -

pmset -g grep hibernatemode

Then to change modes you can type this: (Example of setting it to mode 3)

pmset -a hibernatemode 3

List of modes available -

0 - Old style sleep mode, with RAM powered on while sleeping, safe sleep disabled, and super-fast wake.

1 - Hibernation mode, with RAM contents written to disk, system totally shut down while “sleeping,” and slower wake up, due to reading the contents of RAM off the hard drive.

3 - The default mode on machines introduced since about fall 2005. RAM is powered on while sleeping, but RAM contents are also written to disk before sleeping. In the event of total power loss, the system enters hibernation mode automatically.

5 - This is the same as mode 1, but it’s for those using secure virtual memory (in System Preferences —> Security).

7 - This is the same as mode 3, but it’s for those using secure virtual memory.

All credit to original poster, I'm just sharing potentially useful information.

I've been struggling with Sleep for sometime --- S1 works fine, S3 has (had) the blank screen, full fan issue. What I noticed today was that sleep actually does work, but it takes about 2 minutes to complete the wakeup cycle -- I'd just been impatient before. I'm trying to see some type of debug on ACPI and or OSX kernel but no luck so far. Resume works with both Voodoo and Vanilla kernels on 10.5.5

I'm using EFI Nvidia and Azaal audio (HDA does not resume)

Okay I think I have found a fix to some people who get a black screen or nothing on wake. This is only for people with Airport. What I did was use original EFI strings. Then Sleep WORKED! But I installed an Airport Card and would give me a black screen. So now what I tried to do was turn off Airport and put the PC on Sleep. And It fired back up. So hopefully this works for you guys. Just my :P

Amantheboy

Tekno Junkie ©

Cheers Tekno Junkie. This seems to work for me. If I switch off my wireless then it wakes from sleep instantanly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I looked at tons of sleep related threads and didn't find anyone discussing what I found. My display goes to sleep fine and wakes up fine, but when the computer goes to sleep, it never wakes up. So right now I just have the setting for computer sleep set to "never".

I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I save battery life with just display sleep?

2. Is there a fix for "Display wakes up, Computer doesn't"?

Same topic are posted in post-installation with same more pic's.

maybe this have been the better place to post.

Sleep / wake up problem in generally

Looking for your opinion / advice GA-MA69GM-S2H

Hi Folks,

Got everything, I can think about working, except wake up after sleep.

Out of practice testing OS X on different hardware I recognized all boards with sleep wake up problems showing during boot

USBF: X.XXX ApleUSBDHCI (0x…..) : : CheckSleepCapabillity – DHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep.

You can see on picture Boot3 and 3a. Important Pic’s are 3 and 3a

This message cams up even when booting from DVD before installing OS X. My guess or opinion is: The problem arises very early and has nothing to do which kernel, distro etc. you are using.

Is here someone who can confirm my thought, or have any idée what I can do next.

My Hardware is: AMD x2 5200 Mhz, 5 GB ram, Gigabyte GA-MA69MA-S2H board, ATI 2600 pro 512 MB.

Again, I am using the IPC 10.5.6 ppf5 distro and I am very happy with dual screen and all other features. The sleep / wake up problem are also with other distro’s like Leo4all etc.

For me sleep / wake up function are very important. Computer is on 24/7 and the difference between Sleep and no sleep is about 125 watts per hour power consumption.

Please don’t tell me to change the motherboard into Intel board. This would be my last option if I am not getting wake up to work.

Thanks, for your reply.

post-215963-1234710485_thumb.jpg

post-215963-1234710505_thumb.jpg

H E L L O

please, is no one here who may have observed thach message during boot (-V) verbose mode and having or not, wake up problems. Before I go any further I would like to know if this caused my wake up probs.

Here again the message.

USBF: X.XXX ApleUSBOHCI (0x…..) : : CheckSleepCapabillity – OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I will check tonight when I get home. I am having the sleep problem now too but is bad where when I reboot the machine it still doesn't come on. I have to remove my motherboard battery and power for a bit then it will turn on. I am going to replace the battery just incase that is bad.

• 3 weeks later...

My computer sleeps great d9207us - everything works besides the webcam and built in card reader. It wakes right up. The problem I have is that the DISPLAY SLEEP the second option in the settings doesnt not correctly work. The screen will go blank but when I press any button the backlight comes on but no screen. I then must shut the notebook screen to begin true sleep, then I open it and press the power button to wake it.

Any thoughts of a solution for this? I have tried (on wake) but it didnt work for me.

I could not get sleep/resume to work in Tiger or Leo - Intel GMA950 graphics with a Core Duo processor, Dell XPS M1210.

This may only work for me, but the SOLUTION is to set an HDD password within the bios! For some reason, whenever hard drive security is set, my hackintosh sleeps and wakes perfectly. On the first sleep attempt, it will wake up instantly like before, but it has not crashed - it's just creating the safe sleep image. I've tested disabling the HDD password and sure enough, it breaks sleep again. Strange, but it's working now at least!

• 4 weeks later...
My computer sleeps great d9207us - everything works besides the webcam and built in card reader. It wakes right up. The problem I have is that the DISPLAY SLEEP the second option in the settings doesnt not correctly work. The screen will go blank but when I press any button the backlight comes on but no screen. I then must shut the notebook screen to begin true sleep, then I open it and press the power button to wake it.

Any thoughts of a solution for this? I have tried (on wake) but it didnt work for me.

I have the same laptop (dv9207us) and have the same issue. :-(

** EDIT ** I found a lovely hack that fixes this issue. :-)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107030

• 3 months later...

Hey all,

Possible solution for some of you. Until recently, I was able to wake from sleep fine (except for improper usb disk ejection error), and now it doesn't work. According to karaakeha1 in this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...04&hl=sleep it could be that it was because I installed NTFS-3G which also installed MacFUSE. It seems to be the ntfs drives which causes the problems.

good luck!

• 7 months later...