Mac OS X 10.5 - 9a377a Client & Server Released on ADC

Adrian Fogge

208 posts in this topic

My password has - ; and . in it, this is why afp mounting wouldnt work. After changing to another password (without those characters) it worked fine.

Now if only I can get colloquy to work.

Performance is really good. Feels quite snappy.

Parallels seems to work as fast as it does in Tiger.

XCode 3.0 crashes everytime I try and compile something.

Colloquy loads, but when joining my bnc, it appears to hang. I can still quit and access preferences, so I suspect its a redraw problem.

I can now use the Nokia cable with my N80 and use iSync to sync Contacts and Calender.

Finder has an annoying pink-purple ban across it, saying "Share Point".

Think I will use this as my main OS on my macbook pro.

I am so happy with it that I have completely wiped out my Tiger installation on my MBP, my PB and my Mini.

My work systems still have Tiger, Leopard, Vista and Sabayon on them because, well they are work systems and that is why we have Macs!

Leopard blows Vista out of the water from an ease of use standpoint.

Even performance of the really simple things like World of Warcraft or transcoding video with Mediafork, Leopard has a good 10-20% performance increase.

For example...

MediaFork, converting Serenity from DVD to H.264 at 2500 Kbps Video, 192 Kbps Audio, Dual-Pass encoding...

Vista: 114.8 FPS (Average)

377a: 144.1 FPS (Average)

That is on the EXACT same Macbook Pro, with the latest drivers for Vista pulled from several sources including Apple, Intel, Dell, IBM and a few others to get the highest performance you can get.

Even with ZFS not working at the moment, I am still really excited about this build because EVERYTHING is really coming together and becoming a stable and speedy OS.

Personally, I think that ZFS is going to be one of those "Top Secret Features", as it was never discussed at WWDC and is still not talked about in the developer documentation or referenced in the Acknowledgements file, and they even have their new Package Format referenced in there.

So, I expect that it is being heavily developed internally and we are getting stripped versions simply to ensure that something somewhere else in the OS does not break compatability in the process.

We know that it is bootable (or rather was with some considerable hacking).

As for where it is sitting right now, it looks like it is a problem with the EFI Loader (not even seeing the partition).

OpenFirmware is able to detect that the drive is there and bootable, however when it loads, it is getting a kernel panic.

I will be keeping at it...

Just something i haven't seen mentioned, but it looks like the beginnings of iChat backdrops is in. Hold down option while in a Video chat and it'll say "Please move out of the frame" but nothing happens when you do move out of the frame.

just installed this and WOW this build is the best yet. amazing speed, love ichats interface along with mail. Tabs in terminal is also nice.

very much worth the bandwith.

anyone care to post a screenshot of the new ichat? i am very interested in that

Adrian Fogge, you cant boot off zfs yet on intel macs, because apple will have to release a firmware update to support this (as you need a zfs file system driver), there is a driver for hfs, but u need one for zfs so unless you can code one, i dont think u will boot from zfs that easily.

Personally, I think that ZFS is going to be one of those "Top Secret Features", as it was never discussed at WWDC and is still not talked about in the developer documentation or referenced in the Acknowledgements file, and they even have their new Package Format referenced in there.

Well it's possible but will be Steve said that the top secret features was not revealed because they do not want to be copied.

ZFS already exist in Solaris and will in FreeBSD, so it's already copied.

Edited by mr.manatane

Well, ZFS worked in 9a321 for a single boot on an Intel Mac.

Anyone had any luck with any build on a PowerPC Mac?

I might as well try myself...

Still waiting for an Oink invite to get the new build - there seems to be a little club of members with the latest Leopard builds!

I guess the rest of us will have to wait a while (I'm still using 9A321)

Looks promising, but I don't see many super-duper features that will make it stand out from Vista. I feel the only way they get more media and general public attention is if they make a fancy UI to rival Aero.

We all know Apple will do it better though :hysterical:

Is that ZFS booting or just HFS?

i haven't tried, but last time i let the leopard installer to format a partition itself it created a sort of boot partition, similar to the ones that are popular on linux, i think that this will let zfs to be bootable also on ppcs.