Mac OS X 10.5 - 9a377a Client & Server Released on ADC

Adrian Fogge

208 posts in this topic

PowerMac g5 (2.0 ghz)

Edit: I am about to restore back to my 9a343 through time machine, and then do that other install option. But if anyone has any ideas, that'd be very helpful.

Edited by Fizzeh

I did boot in verbose mode, and I saw a lot of errors.

What I tried to do was an archive and install, and I think that migration thing gave an error.

Would the following work:

• restore to 343 from time machine

• Then, click install for first time on 377

• Then would all of my info still be there? and would I be able to still have all my apps and users?

well, if you never logged in your user it is untouched, as it was before. the same apply to your apps.

you can simply do a backup, install, then import manually the apps and the users…

if you can't backup your system on an external folder it is possible to move it in a folder on the same disk, do a fresh installation and re-import everithyng. i can tell you how, if you want…

I do not have this build yet, but it seems like the same thing will be possible in the spotlight application, since there is a spot for "Saved" searches.

What i mean is, can you do this in the spotlight sidebar now:

nestedfolders.png

Or is it just one flat list that you can't organize??

What i mean is, can you do this in the spotlight sidebar now:

nestedfolders.png

Or is it just one flat list that you can't organize??

From this screen capture it confirms you can do a group/folder.

35.jpg

I don't know if you can do nested groups (folders within folders) though, since I've not used the build yet.

Would this work and *basically* restore everything:

From restored 9a343, drag the entire users and applications folders to an external HDD

Install 9a377 and drag the users and apps back. (I do know that if my entire user folder has been restored, I can easily re-set it up with the system)

Are there any other files I would need? Should I also take /Library and not just ~Library?

Would this work and *basically* restore everything:

From restored 9a343, drag the entire users and applications folders to an external HDD

Install 9a377 and drag the users and apps back. (I do know that if my entire user folder has been restored, I can easily re-set it up with the system)

Are there any other files I would need? Should I also take /Library and not just ~Library?

you should take essentially some folders inside /Library/Application Support (just skip the ones that are installed by default…) and, maybe, some files in /Library/Preferences. don't try to take back the whole /Library folder, or you'll probably have problems.

regarding the home folder you must create a new account with the same name of the old one, discover his uid typing

echo $UID

in the terminal, enable root account (i think that you can do this in leopard simply giving it a password:

sudo passwd root

logout and login as "root", then trash your new, empty home folder, and import the old one from the backup, then change the owner to your new user.

for the applications folder only restore your applications (not the system's ones…), then repair permissions.

in short:

1) backup /Library/Application Support, /Library/Preferences, /Users/youruser /Applications

2) install the new build, if you want you can format the drive (do it using disk utility, preferably on tiger, never using leopard's installer).

3) set up a new account with the same short name of the old one

4) discover which UID has this account, typing in the terminal

echo $UID

(it will probably be 501, but it is not always true…)

5) enable root account typing

sudo passwd root

and giving it a password

6) logout and login as others>root

7) delete (or move…) the empty /Users/youraccount folder and replace it with the backup's one

8) change the owner of that folder to your user's UID:

chown -R 501:501 /Users/youraccount

(note that if the UID wasn't "501" you must change it…)

9) logout and relogin as your user

10) import your applications and your folders that are in /Library/Application Support without overwriting the already installed ones

11) look inside the Preferences folder to see if you have to import something (if you're not sure feel free to ask here…).

From this screen capture it confirms you can do a group/folder.

35.jpg

I don't know if you can do nested groups (folders within folders) though, since I've not used the build yet.

That's cool, I've been waiting for groups in the Finder/Spotlight for a long time :rolleyes:

The thread has been condensed a little, moving all of the new features and bugs that we have found to the front page.

I will go through every day or two and do that to make life a little simper for people who do not want to spend the whole day reading through the thread.

~Adrian

As in, you open up Spotlight (the App, not the QuickSearch in the Top-Right Corner), do a search for Calculator, click on the QuickLook, and Calculator opens inside of the Quicklook Window, along with a description of what it is and other misc. info.

Guest bikedude880
What do you mean by it doesn't run. Lots of people have it working successfully!

Think on that one for a little bit :(