NVMe native support in 10.13 :)

72 posts in this topic

While not exactly a hackintosh, I'm running a 2009 4.1 Mac Pro flashed to 5.1. NVMe drives seem to be supported natively now. Previously I had to use pikemanalpha's script to generate a custom kext in 10.12. This beta sees both my AHCI Samsung 951 and my NVMe version as well. 

• Like 7

Is there any mention of this in the release notes? Anyone want to hazard a guess as to why this has changed?

I'm happy if it will stay, as it obviously makes it a lot less troublesome to use any NVMe SSD. I've been wanting to get one but preferred native support rather than using patches, and the only reasonable option with 4Kn support is the OCZ RD400 which isn't sold in my country.

But if this is a permanent change, I'm gonna grab a Samsung 960 Pro :drool:

Just checked the release notes. No mention of SSDs or NVMe. This was the biggest reason I installed, I rely on pikes kext and wanted to see if it still worked.

Is there any mention of this in the release notes? Anyone want to hazard a guess as to why this has changed?

I'm happy if it will stay, as it obviously makes it a lot less troublesome to use any NVMe SSD. I've been wanting to get one but preferred native support rather than using patches, and the only reasonable option with 4Kn support is the OCZ RD400 which isn't sold in my country.

But if this is a permanent change, I'm gonna grab a Samsung 960 Pro :drool:

• Like 1

I can confirm this: NVMe is running here natively without any of Pike's patches. Just tested: 950, 960 EVO and 941 SAMSUNG PCIe SSDs all detected and working "out-of-the-box".

ohhh!

good news!

• Like 2

Thanks for testing! Let's hope this feature will stil be there in the final release.

Does booting from a NVMe device work (on a MacPro with High Sierra Beta) or is that dependent on the EFI?

Hello everyone.

Thank you Factionrider, I waited for this information for so long. I read there and there about a "NVMe support of incoming MacBooks", but did not wether it was because of the hardware or the new OSX version.

I plan to buy a PCIe M.2 adapter for MBA like this one : http://eshop.sintech.cn/ngff-m2-pcie-ssd-card-as-2013-2014-2015-macbook-ssd-p-1139.html. Could you confirms it would works now, despite of the "compatibility" notice ? I do not know if there is hardware limitations on this adapter, or if it is only because Apple only supported AHCI for now. Otherwhise, would you know an other adapter for Macbook Air that works with an NVMe drive ?

Thanks.

• Like 1

So many people to reply to quoting doesn't make sense on mobile.

Ncoden:

No idea about MBA. The newest Mac laptop I have is from 2012 and has no mpcie or m2 slot at all. Though, I would be willing to bet that like the Mac Pro it would require an efi update to the logic board.

Kris:

I have not tested, but I would be shocked if it booted without an EFI patch to the motherboard. The boot loader runs entirely in the systems EFI and that would require a patch as far as I know. I would test but all my current projects are on that disk. Maybe when I do a fresh instal of the public release of High Sierra I'll try that drive.

• Like 1

This is probably a long shot, but what happens if you take the IONVMeFamily.kext from High Sierra and put it in a Sierra install? Does it enable other drives there, or is the kext incompatible?

I'd check myself but I don't have an NVMe drive yet. Just wondering if it could work, as I'd like to remain on Sierra until High Sierra final release is made public (though I have installed DP1 just to see if everything is still working).

This is probably a long shot, but what happens if you take the IONVMeFamily.kext from High Sierra and put it in a Sierra install? Does it enable other drives there, or is the kext incompatible?

I'd check myself but I don't have an NVMe drive yet. Just wondering if it could work, as I'd like to remain on Sierra until High Sierra final release is made public (though I have installed DP1 just to see if everything is still working).

Send me the zipped kext!

By the way, what about Plextor M8Pe? My Sierra install committed harakiri, so I might try High Sierra now.

Even I am curious about that as well.

BTW, both the m.2 connected NVMe drives 950 PRO and 960 PRO were detected and working flawlessly along with TRIM support on my ASUS Maximus IX Hero motherboard. I just need Nvidia beta drivers for my GTX 1070.

Interested in this possibility also. 

Currently I boot off efi on Samsung 960 pro with 10.12.6 beta thanks to pikeralpha, rehabman, and other's hackrnvmefamily driver.

Works well, but...  in HighSierra, not available. (UPDATE) Correction, HighSierra support IS native with my Samsung SSD 960 PRO 512GB .  forgot to boot without the SSDT that was made for Sierra inside Clover. :rolleyes: attempted this version in Sierra but, just like others the files aren't compatible.  IONVMeFamily.kext included. ^_^

IONVMeFamily.kext.zip

I've attempted to install the IONVMeFamily.kext from High Sierra to Sierra (from my own install). Upon rebuilding the kernel cache in Sierra, I get the following errors:

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
kxld[com.apple.iokit.IONVMeFamily]: The super class vtable 'vtable for IOTimerEventSource' for vtable 'vtable for AppleNVMeRequestTimer' is out of date. Make sure your kext has been built against the correct headers.
kxld[com.apple.iokit.IONVMeFamily]: The super class vtable 'vtable for IOTimerEventSource' for vtable 'vtable for AppleNVMeRequestTimer' is out of date. Make sure your kext has been built against the correct headers.
Link failed (error code 5).
Prelink failed for com.apple.iokit.IONVMeFamily; omitting from prelinked kernel.

I don't know what this really means, but I'm going to venture that it means it's not going to work, so I've restored the original for now.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having trouble with installing a Samsung 960 Pro into Slot 3 of a Mac Pro 5 1 that’s running High Sierra. I have gotten the Mac to see the drive in disk utility in both safe mode and recovery mode, and I’ve formatted the 960 to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Now, on startup, the computer just reboots continuously until I power it off and remove the NVMe drive, and it even does this in safe mode. I can still see the drive in recovery mode. What can be done to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if my Corsair MP500 is simply not supported or if the fact that I have to use a PCIe M.2 adapter is what's breaking it (my Asus P9X79-E WS doesn't have M.2 slots), but it works with `HackrVMmeFamily.kext` in 10.12 but I not natively in 10.13... :(