NVMe native support in 10.13 :)

72 posts in this topic

Can someone explain the proper procedure for upgrading to 10.13. from 10.12.6 with an NVMe?

Do I just remove HackrNVMeFamily.10.12.6.kext from Clover before I start the installer?

Thanks

Pato 

Yes, the patches about NVMe support is only for 10.12.x (macOS Sierra). On High Sierra you will see that works OOB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It would seem that the issue is specifically with 512 byte sector SSDs.

Sadly the Samsung Polaris Controller used on the PM96x and Pro96x series only supports 512 byte sector size, 4096 byte sectors are not supported.

(Verified with smartctl and nvme format -l 1 /dev/nvme0 on linux)

There are a number of complaints of slow boot with Samsing SSD's on Apple's forums, so hopefully it gets resolved with macOs High Sierra 10.13.2.

• Like 2

I'm using a 960 Pro in APFS format.

It's recognized just fine by macOS 10.13, but the boot is horrendously slow—like booting off an old HDD, or worse. Quite a few errors show up in the verbose log… "AppleNVMe Assert failed" and things like this. I assume it's trying to communicate with Apple specific SSD firmware that's obviously not going to be present on a hack.

Once past the agonizingly slow startup, everything seems normal & fast.

If anyone wants to research this further, I'm more than happy to help.

Does the upgrade to 10.13.2 resolve the speed issue?

I am on 10.13.2 with a 960pro - and takes about 10 seconds to boot - not sure if that is slow or not but it seems similar/faster than most macs I own when rebooting. Blackmagic Disk Speed Test shows approx 3000 read/2000 write - which is in line with PC results. 

• Like 1

I am on 10.13.2 with a 960pro - and takes about 10 seconds to boot - not sure if that is slow or not but it seems similar/faster than most macs I own when rebooting. Blackmagic Disk Speed Test shows approx 3000 read/2000 write - which is in line with PC results. 

And you are using APFS?

it doesn't detect my toshiba nvme

Has anyone had success with the Toshiba OCZ RD400A natively in 10.13?   Also, does "Native" really mean Bootable?  Seems too good to be true :)

I have a 2009 5,1 cMP

UPDATE: The RD400A shows up when I boot into the 10.13 USB Installer and I can select it as a destination for 10.13 installation but it does not show up as an option to boot from (I have tried as HFS+ and APFS).  After an obnoxious amount of research, it seems like I am stuck until Apple enables NVMe booting in firmware for 5,1 (which seems unlikely).  It also does not seem like anyone has been able to use Clover on a 5,1 cMP to boot to an NVMe SSD (please correct me if I am wrong). 

I guess I will be booting to a SATA SSD and using the RD400A for my files. My main application is video editing, so this is OK for now. 

Edited by willcoffin
  • Like 1

Yah, APFS is on - I do get those APFS verbose right before getting into clover boot, after which macOS gets loaded in 10 seconds.

How long is it taking you guys to boot into mac? So far i can see people say - its taking longer than their Sierra build, can anyone elaborate in seconds/minutes to load macOS?

And you are using APFS?

Yah, APFS is on - I do get those APFS verbose right before getting into clover boot, after which macOS gets loaded in 10 seconds.

How long is it taking you guys to boot into mac? So far i can see people say - its taking longer than their Sierra build, can anyone elaborate in seconds/minutes to load macOS?

Let me rephrase that. Is your main OS disk actually formatted in APFS? Having APFS.efi loading through Clover is independent of that.

Users with both Hackintosh as well as real mac's are reporting slow boot times if 512-byte sector SSD's are used with APFS formatting.

Samsung SSD's only support 512-byte sectors, some of the other SSD's can be low-level formatted in 4096-byte sectors.

The issue of slow boot appears when using:

• 512 byte sector formatted SSD
  • TRIM enabled
  • Boot drive formatted with APFS

Booting can then take well over a minute to complete.

• Like 2

Has anyone had success with the Toshiba OCZ RD400A natively in 10.13?   Also, does "Native" really mean Bootable?  Seems too good to be true :)

I have a 2009 5,1 cMP

UPDATE: The RD400A shows up when I boot into the 10.13 USB Installer and I can select it as a destination for 10.13 installation but it does not show up as an option to boot from (I have tried as HFS+ and APFS).  After an obnoxious amount of research, it seems like I am stuck until Apple enables NVMe booting in firmware for 5,1 (which seems unlikely).  It also does not seem like anyone has been able to use Clover on a 5,1 cMP to boot to an NVMe SSD (please correct me if I am wrong). 

I guess I will be booting to a SATA SSD and using the RD400A for my files. My main application is video editing, so this is OK for now. 

first time post here, but after I follow from one of the post on this forums to format my Toshiba RD400 to 4K sector. MAC OS Sierra(10.12.6) Installer can see the drive and I didn't have to patch the nvme kext... 

Toshiba OCZ RD400A works fine as a 2nd HDD (scratch disk/media storage) in 10.13 but will not boot. It came from the factory in 4k mode.  I have settled on using a 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD on SATA as my boot drive.  I still need to add a SATA III bootable PCIe card to get the full speed of that drive. 

I am getting 1090MB/s Write / 1320MB/s Read on the 1TB RD400A using Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.  Even though I can't boot from it I can't bring myself to return it with those numbers. :drool:

• Thanks 1

Toshiba OCZ RD400A works fine as a 2nd HDD (scratch disk/media storage) in 10.13 but will not boot. It came from the factory in 4k mode.  I have settled on using a 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD on SATA as my boot drive.  I still need to add a SATA III bootable PCIe card to get the full speed of that drive. 

I am getting 1090MB/s Write / 1320MB/s Read on the 1TB RD400A using Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.  Even though I can't boot from it I can't bring myself to return it with those numbers. :drool:

I can booth fine from my RD400 on Sierra 10.12.6 without any kext patch... and Sierra 10.12.6 doesn't even offer native nvme support.. You just need to format it in 4K sector.. there's a tutorial in this forums to do so..

• 3 weeks later...

I still haven't successfully booted into 10.13.2 from my RD400 on my Mac Pro 4,1 (with 5,1 Update).  Went back and formatted it again as 4K using the OCZ SSD utility. It shows up as a boot "option" in the startup disk selector but it will not boot from it. It defaults to any other drive that is instaled and when I remove all drives but the NVMe, I get the flashing folder icon with a question mark (It does not show up as an option when I hold down "option" when booting).  I have tried both a Carbon Copy of an SSD that I know boots, as well as attempting a fresh install from 10.13 install USB.  It will not boot from the NVMe card (also tried both HFS+ & APFS). 

Any ideas?  (Or should I give up...)

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't successfully booted into 10.13.2 from my RD400 on my Mac Pro 4,1 (with 5,1 Update).  Went back and formatted it again as 4K using the OCZ SSD utility. It shows up as a boot "option" in the startup disk selector but it will not boot from it. It defaults to any other drive that is instaled and when I remove all drives but the NVMe, I get the flashing folder icon with a question mark (It does not show up as an option when I hold down "option" when booting).  I have tried both a Carbon Copy of an SSD that I know boots, as well as attempting a fresh install from 10.13 install USB.  It will not boot from the NVMe card (also tried both HFS+ & APFS). 

Any ideas?  (Or should I give up...)

Gonna a bit quote myself from another forum but

At the times of macOS Sierra, when I started my experiments with 4K drives, as there were no firmware with the EFI driver yet, I have found a solution to boot an old 2013 Mac Pro and a same year MacBook Air with a tricky solution, which imposes you the use of an SD card or of a USB stick as a sort of driver preloader. You can find more details here but in short, it consists in booting rEFInd bootloader on your mac with an injected NVMe driver which will provide you with the possibility to boot Sierra from an NVMe drive without flashing the bootrom. As this PoC required some ugly workarounds like USB or SD for refind bootloader I gave up on the idea pushing that further. By the way, as my major clients which are using professional grade audio software right now are forced to stay with 10.12, right now they are using this ugly workaround for about a year with converted RD400 without any issues.

My Samsung 250GB Evo Nvme "write" performance is slow. Average is 800MB/s Write / 2500MB/s Read. I am using High Sierra with HFS+ system is stable no problem. How can I fix that slowness?

Do you use HFSPlus.efi driver or VBoxHFS? Maybe you can get more speed by changing this.

Do you use HFSPlus.efi driver or VBoxHFS? Maybe you can get more speed by changing this.

I am already using HFSPlus.efi. I tried VBoxHFS.efi and results are worse than HFSPlus.efi :(

Results;

HFSPlus.efi

800MB/s Write / 2500MB/s

VBoxHFS.efi

650MB/s Write / 2000MB/s

I attached my ioreg, kexts and Clover folder maybe someone checks and tell me whats going on?

post-803029-0-86466200-1515777596_thumb.png

Archive.zip

Hi,

I am new to Hackintosh and trying to install High Serra 10.13.3. 

I am able to install it on HDD, but I do not see my M2 SSD (Plextor PX-256M8PeG).

Also, I can not see it during the installation. Only in BIOS.

Any help is really appreciated. Do not know what to do next.

On 1/26/2018 at 1:13 PM, zurkus said:

Hi,

I am new to Hackintosh and trying to install High Serra 10.13.3. 

I am able to install it on HDD, but I do not see my M2 SSD (Plextor PX-256M8PeG).

Also, I can not see it during the installation. Only in BIOS.

Any help is really appreciated. Do not know what to do next.

• At the Installation screen first try pressing Windows key [=cmd in Mac] and 2 [number two key]
  • See if the drive becomes visible to proceed.
    • If the above does not display your disk:
  • exit that screen and go to Utilities >Terminal
    • on Terminal : type the following command to check if you can find your SSD:
      • diskutil list
      • Find your Disk's Identifier [Example: disk0]
    • Now you type the command for Partition and Format [ to reduce problems use HFS+J (=MacOS extended (Journaled) format rather than APFS]
    • diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk0 GPT JHFS+ Highsierra 0b [# in place of disk0 type your disk's Identifier "HighSiera" is the name for your formatted SSD.You may change it to your liking]
    • The partition and format may take just a few minutes
  • Exit Terminal and Reboot
  • Select your "High Sierra USB installer" from F-12 boot device selection screen.
  • In CBM boot USB Installer with all required flags to reach Installation screen
  • After language selection, go straight to High Sierra Installation to find your named SDD.

Instructions by @cmn699 from other hackintosh forum.

Edited by aerz
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...