NVMe native support in 10.13 :)

72 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am also fading a lot of trouble with my Corsair MP500 M.2 SSD on an PCIe adapter card.

When I install it, mac boots, apple logo screen, load bar, and restarts, then enters boot loop.

I did however boot in SAFE MODE, in which everything works okay, and I am able to erease the ssd in Disk Utility, and use it as normal drive.

As soon as I try to boot back normal, same thing. 

Verbose mode does not work, it loads with a lot of text, then restarts, and I cant seem to see the last line.

I think NVMeGeneric.kext is causing the problem.

Can anyone help?

Running on newest High Sierra Beta,

Mac Pro 5,1

Thanks!

Is it possible to install 10.13 Sierra onto a SSD nvme drive (i.e. Samsung 960 Pro) in a Hackintosh build natively? Or, do you have to first install Sierra onto a normal drive (SSD or HDD) and then clone over to the nvme SSD? 

I am planning a hackintosh build for later this year when Intel 8700k comes out and want to get the fastest system drive I can afford for it. Nvme would be ideal. 

Thanks!

nvme support is native in High Sierra. Confirmed with Samsung 960 EVO.

Wow, that's amazing. Lucky us. OK well that's great news, I suppose I will buy a Samsung 960 Pro 512gb nvme drive for my Hackintosh build. Party on.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am also fading a lot of trouble with my Corsair MP500 M.2 SSD on an PCIe adapter card.

When I install it, mac boots, apple logo screen, load bar, and restarts, then enters boot loop.

I did however boot in SAFE MODE, in which everything works okay, and I am able to erease the ssd in Disk Utility, and use it as normal drive.

As soon as I try to boot back normal, same thing. 

Verbose mode does not work, it loads with a lot of text, then restarts, and I cant seem to see the last line.

I think NVMeGeneric.kext is causing the problem.

Can anyone help?

Running on newest High Sierra Beta,

Mac Pro 5,1

Thanks!

Not sure if my Corsair MP500 is simply not supported or if the fact that I have to use a PCIe M.2 adapter is what's breaking it (my Asus P9X79-E WS doesn't have M.2 slots), but it works with `HackrVMmeFamily.kext` in 10.12 but I not natively in 10.13... :(

Can you please provide a nvme-cli report as I've described it there? Thanks in advance

I'm having trouble now.

My 960 evo worked perfectly for ages, but now, every few days, it won't boot to clover menu. Gives me a boot fail sleeping for 10 seconds thing.

I'm using my EFI from the backup SSD (850 evo) and it's fine. They're both identical EFI and HS installs. I clone them every week.

I tried wiping the drive in terminal, wiping it in windows, tried apfs and hfs before cloning it back, and making a new EFI (latest clover) and doing that copy.

I'm still using the HS install on the 960, but somehow the EFI isn't reliable.

The only way to get it going again is to boot without injected kexts, which gives me a timeout error, then on a normal boot after that failed boot it works. Grrr...

I have slow boot in 10.13 (APFS) on my SSD Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe (From 1-st computer of signature). In the middle loading have pause about 15 sec and than continue. Total load take more than 30 sec.

In my boot log have this

kernel: (IONVMeFamily) AppleNVMe Assert failed: ( 0 != data )
2017-09-24 06:18:24.569300-0700 0xf9       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (IONVMeFamily) ReleaseIDNode
2017-09-24 06:18:24.569452-0700 0xf9       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (IONVMeFamily) file: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IONVMeFamily/IONVMeFamily-356.1.4/IONVMeController.cpp
2017-09-24 06:18:24.569757-0700 0xf9       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (IONVMeFamily) line: 5420
2017-09-24 06:18:24.569909-0700 0xf9       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (IONVMeFamily) 
2017-09-24 06:18:24.576158-0700 0xf9       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (IONVMeFamily) IOReturn IONVMeController::CreateSubmissionQueue(uint16_t, uint8_t)::2742:SQ index=0 entrysize=64
2017-09-24 06:18:24.576304-0700 0xf9       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (IONVMeFamily) IOReturn IONVMeController::CreateSubmissionQueue(uint16_t,  

In about this Mac in NVMe Express I see : " TRIM Support - YES"

I am not use trim patch and other patch for NVMe

Anybody know solution for this problem?

• Like 1

I'm a bit new, but I hope anyone can help me out.

Recently i bought the Sintech NGFF M.2 PCIe SSD Card (ST-NGFF2013)  for my macbook A1502 (MacBook Pro Retina late 2013)

I also bought the Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb M2, but the mac doesn’t see the SSD at all.

Am I forgetting some steps ?? / the Mac was running Sierra when removing the original 128 GB Apple ssd in it.

I want to install High Sierra on it / At the moment I can't proceed because the Samsung isn't seen by the macbook.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm a bit new, but I hope anyone can help me out.

Recently i bought the Sintech NGFF M.2 PCIe SSD Card (ST-NGFF2013)  for my macbook A1502 (MacBook Pro Retina late 2013)

I also bought the Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb M2, but the mac doesn’t see the SSD at all.

Am I forgetting some steps ?? / the Mac was running Sierra when removing the original 128 GB Apple ssd in it.

I want to install High Sierra on it / At the moment I can't proceed because the Samsung isn't seen by the macbook.

Thanks in advance for the help.

The 960 can only be seen natively in High Sierra (10.13), NOT Sierra (10.12). So if you run the High Sierra installer from a USB for example, you should now be able to see the drive in Disk Utility.

Otherwise, you might have to install RehabMan's NVMe patch if you need to be able to see it in Sierra.

• Thanks 1

The 960 can only be seen natively in High Sierra (10.13), NOT Sierra (10.12). So if you run the High Sierra installer from a USB for example, you should now be able to see the drive in Disk Utility.

Otherwise, you might have to install RehabMan's NVMe patch if you need to be able to see it in Sierra.

Well I installed the 960, and i booted my macbook with usb (High Sierra installer on it), disc utility only shows the usb and not my installed 960 with sintech adapter.  I don't know what you exactly mean that it can only be seen natively, what does that mean?  Can it be that I have to install high Sierra first on my 128 GB Original Macbook ssd so that the EFI of my macbook will be updated first ??  Thanks again for your help

Well I installed the 960, and i booted my macbook with usb (High Sierra installer on it), disc utility only shows the usb and not my installed 960 with sintech adapter.  I don't know what you exactly mean that it can only be seen natively, what does that mean?  Can it be that I have to install high Sierra first on my 128 GB Original Macbook ssd so that the EFI of my macbook will be updated first ??  Thanks again for your help

I believe that adapter only support M.2 AHCI SSD, not PCIe aka NVMe

Sure, but 2013-2015 Macbook SSD runs on a custom connector made off of Sata AHCI, not PCIe NVMe, so his won't be recognized

Ok strange, Sintech claims their adapter will work with Samsung SM951 (not available anymore / is from the year 2015) and this is a PCI-e 3.0 x 4 SSD card, the Samsung 960 EVO also has PCI-e 3.0 x 4, The only differance i can find is that the SM951 has a multilevel cell ssd type and the 960 has a 3d v-nand (TLC) ssd type, also the SSD controller is differant the SM951 works with Samsung S4LN021X01 SSD controller and the 960 EVO works with Samsung Polaris controller.

Then it should be working or not ???

I'm having this small issue and the only thing I can put it down to is the nvme (960 evo)

I have 2 identical instals - I clone them every week and copy the EFI over if necessary.

The 960 evo often fails to boot, sleeping 10 seconds etc.

The 850 evo boots every time!

I tried wiping the 960 in os x, wiping it in windows then format in os x (I thought maybe the EFI partition was dodgy).

I tried all the different nvme slots (3) plus the pcie M.2 card.

It still happens. Even though the EFI and OS are identical the 960 evo does the failed to boot error.

It's actually preceded by some fail to load inode error, before the clover loading initial screen.

I'm using the latest clover efi and the High Sierra final release.

Any ideas?

Hello High Sierra I have successfully established. My problem is that the corsair mp500 120gb NVME ssd diskin writing speed is going very low. What is the problem ?

Sistem

• İ7 6700 3.4 Ghz Skylake
  • Gigabyte Z170M D3H
  • Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB OC
  • Ram Ramaxel 2133 mhz 16 gigabyte 
  • 250 Gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD
  • Corsair Force Mp500 120 Gb SSD M.2
  • WD 500 Gb 7200 Rpm HDD
  • Broadcom BCM43xx

clover 

post-1039385-0-32390400-1506976843_thumb.jpg

I believe that adapter only support M.2 AHCI SSD, not PCIe aka NVMe

This adapter is just a mechanical thing, there's no logic, no chips or other things to support any standard. It is a simple PCIe lanes order converter for Mac proprietary PCIe connector. By the way the root of the issue is the mac EFI lacking needed drivers for third-paarty NVMe drives. Also be ready to see way lower speed of drives requiring PCIe 3.0, Mac's proprietary connector is PCIe 2.0 only, so split the r/w speed twice at least. Already booted a MBA 2013 with this adapter and TOSHIBA XG3 and Hynix PC300 inside. It works but you have to use Clover or anything similar... That is why the manufacturer warns about incompatibility with NVMe on the official website.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone thoroughly tested a Samsung PM961, EVO 960 or EVO 960 Pro (all Samsung Polaris controller SSD) with High Sierra 10.13.0 / 10.13.1?

Specifically interested in potential problems with APFS, slow boot, trackpad preferences etc. 

Has anyone thoroughly tested a Samsung PM961, EVO 960 or EVO 960 Pro (all Samsung Polaris controller SSD) with High Sierra 10.13.0 / 10.13.1?

Specifically interested in potential problems with APFS, slow boot, trackpad preferences etc. 

I have a 960 Pro. Originally installed HS 10.13 with APFS. While the system worked fine, the boot was really slow. During verbose boot you can see it is stuck on some kind of drive check.

It ended up annoying me so much, I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the APFS drive to JHFS+ on another SSD, booted into that one, wiped the 960 Pro and cloned the JHFS+ install over.

I had to do the same thing again after I installed 10.13.1 as I ran the full installer and forgot to disable the automatic APFS conversion and I got the laggy boot again afterwards.

I'll wait for APFS to mature a bit, still seems a bit risky at this stage. Plus that boot delay is annoying, coming off Sierra which was much faster.

Not sure what you mean by trackpad preferences? I don't have a trackpad but I can see the preference pane fine.

• Like 2

I'm using a 960 Pro in APFS format.

It's recognized just fine by macOS 10.13, but the boot is horrendously slow—like booting off an old HDD, or worse. Quite a few errors show up in the verbose log… "AppleNVMe Assert failed" and things like this. I assume it's trying to communicate with Apple specific SSD firmware that's obviously not going to be present on a hack.

Once past the agonizingly slow startup, everything seems normal & fast.

If anyone wants to research this further, I'm more than happy to help.

• Like 2

Worked like a charm for me, too. No more HackrNVMeFamily.kext needed!

Can someone explain the proper procedure for upgrading to 10.13. from 10.12.6 with an NVMe?

Do I just remove HackrNVMeFamily.10.12.6.kext from Clover before I start the installer?

Thanks

Pato