[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

For the time being updating to High Sierra should not be undertaken by those who are not deeply into Hackintoshing.

If you struggled to follow this guide, you should refrain from upgrading now. Give it a month or two, you are not missing much. It's an old teaching of the Apple world to never ever upgrade to a .0 release, but always wait for .1 or even .3 - this is even more true for Hackintoshes.

So unless you know what you are doing and are willing to invest time and knowhow, just wait a couple of weeks or months.

This is very clearly a problem with the USB side of the Type-C port. You may be best off waiting for goodwin's Type-C solution.

The Verbstub commands are just checking the headphone jack for something plugged in once a second, which is by design.

I have fixed this issues. Will post details on Monday. Running on High Sierra atm after successful update from 10.12. And yes - this is USB-C related problem on High Sierra, and very annoying one.

But still can't figure out what the hell is going on with Thunderbolt - somehow macos doesn't want/can't communicate properly with NHI (so it doesn't handle plug/unplug events and pci-e bridge reinit). But i have solution for proper enabling TB on each reboot :)

P.S. Sorry, can't post all fixes so quickly now as things are messed up atm on my configuration due to different changes TB related, to try/test/debug.

• Like 5

Hi guys,

I had to format and do a fresh install, I was a bit out of sync with your updates but I had solved the temperature and fans issue. Now I tried to install with the latest BIOS but had to give up and downgraded it to the previous 1.2.0 (had issues even with 1.2.18 and 1.2.21).

Now the system works fine, apart for the internal mic that stops working after sleep, but my fans are always on and the laptop heats up pretty fast. Already checked if the nvidia is disabled and it seems it is.

Will need to spend some time on it, I did the math to adjust the slide value but I was not lucky enough.

A quick question. So high Sierra is not working with this laptop right now

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

@hackedwifi have you encountered any of the data corruption issues with not being able to set your Samsung NVMe SSD to a 4k sector size?

Hi guys,

I had to format and do a fresh install, I was a bit out of sync with your updates but I had solved the temperature and fans issue. Now I tried to install with the latest BIOS but had to give up and downgraded it to the previous 1.2.0 (had issues even with 1.2.18 and 1.2.21).

Now the system works fine, apart for the internal mic that stops working after sleep, but my fans are always on and the laptop heats up pretty fast. Already checked if the nvidia is disabled and it seems it is.

Will need to spend some time on it, I did the math to adjust the slide value but I was not lucky enough.

@phaberest have you encountered any of the data corruption issues with not being able to set your Samsung NVMe SSD to a 4k sector size?

@hackedwifi have you encountered any of the data corruption issues with not being able to set your Samsung NVMe SSD to a 4k sector size?

@phaberest have you encountered any of the data corruption issues with not being able to set your Samsung NVMe SSD to a 4k sector size?

Nope, my partition broke after a windows 10 update and I had to install all over but it wasn't caused by OSX. I was able to backup my data using an Ubuntu live usb but clover couldn't boot the system and the installer was seeing just one partition.

Never lost a byte anyway.

Nope, my partition broke after a windows 10 update and I had to install all over but it wasn't caused by OSX. I was able to backup my data using an Ubuntu live usb but clover couldn't boot the system and the installer was seeing just one partition.

@phaberest thank you for the info. did you turn off disk hibernation>

Had this after a big Win 10 update as well, which overwrote the EFI partition and kicked the partition table out.

I was able to recover it with gparted from system rescue cd without having to roll back a backup.

system rescue cd is really cool and helped me a bunch of times. it even allows to change, without data loss, to change mbr to gpt, resize partitions etc and best of all it's FOSS.

• Like 1

Had this after a big Win 10 update as well, which overwrote the EFI partition and kicked the partition table out.

I was able to recover it with gparted from system rescue cd without having to roll back a backup.

system rescue cd is really cool and helped me a bunch of times. it even allows to change, without data loss, to change mbr to gpt, resize partitions etc and best of all it's FOSS.

I spent 4 days to fully restore the system, I didn't consider that option :(

Hi all.. I have a successfull Sierra 10.12 install running.. I tried to update to High Sierra and after I run the installer, the computer restarts (as expected) but when I choose the install partition in Clover, it hangs at the Apple logo. If I boot in verbose, I get a kernel panic. Please see attached photos. Thank you for your help in advance.

post-2092806-0-68113700-1507233218_thumb.jpg

post-2092806-0-11942800-1507233236_thumb.jpg

I have fixed this issues. Will post details on Monday. Running on High Sierra atm after successful update from 10.12. And yes - this is USB-C related problem on High Sierra, and very annoying one.

But still can't figure out what the hell is going on with Thunderbolt - somehow macos doesn't want/can't communicate properly with NHI (so it doesn't handle plug/unplug events and pci-e bridge reinit). But i have solution for proper enabling TB on each reboot :)

P.S. Sorry, can't post all fixes so quickly now as things are messed up atm on my configuration due to different changes TB related, to try/test/debug.

Any updates on your TB SSDT? Interested in trying it to keep the controller alive (don't necessarily care for TB).

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

well, everything works fine with the latest BIOS  :P

Weird, I updated from .29 to 1.4.0 an since then I can't boot into the GUI.

During boot and after the Apple logo's short flicker to change resolution, all I see is a spinner alternating with the short flickering of a blinking cursor very top left. This goes on forever. Verbose boot also doesn't yield any idea. Downgrading to 1.3.0 and 1.2.29 doesn't return to successful boot to GUI

Is everyone's system running fine with 1.4.0? No changes to config or anything required?

Weird, I updated from .29 to 1.4.0 an since then I can't boot into the GUI.

During boot and after the Apple logo's short flicker to change resolution, all I see is a spinner alternating with the short flickering of a blinking cursor very top left. This goes on forever. Verbose boot also doesn't yield any idea. Downgrading to 1.3.0 and 1.2.29 doesn't return to successful boot to GUI

Is everyone's system running fine with 1.4.0? No changes to config or anything required?

I've updated it today to 1.4.0 and it rebooted normally, no configuration was changed.

updated the tutorial on github for High Sierra (10.13.1)

https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/10.13/Tutorial_10.13.md

works fine.

Upgrade:

remove everything from /Library/Extensions/

create boot stick with the files from the tutorial

install on top of existing 10.12 installation

move old clover folder on EFI drive to clover_old

follow the rest of the tutorial like on a fresh installation

also can confirm: update of the firmware to 1.4.0 is working without any problem @gymnae.

• Like 1

works fine.

Upgrade:

also can confirm: update of the firmware to 1.4.0 is working without any problem @gymnae.

For the update process, once you install over the old system, after the restart it stalls at

kextd stall 'AppleACPICPU'

I created the install usb with createinstallmedia from High Sierra app but it wasnt booting after installing clover.

For anyone that may come across the same issue, make sure that the entry in BIOS is pointing to the /EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi and not /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi

how to get brightness keys working?

see step 7. same procedure as on the old tutorial. nothing changed.

Amazing news!

As I saw the "darkwak=1" boot flag is missing. Is it fixed or should I edit the config.plis in order to turn on the screen automatically when I open the lid?

Thanks!

i never required this flag, so i didnt add it. if you have the problem: just add it.

For the update process, once you install over the old system, after the restart it stalls at

kextd stall 'AppleACPICPU'

I created the install usb with createinstallmedia from High Sierra app but it wasnt booting after installing clover.

For anyone that may come across the same issue, make sure that the entry in BIOS is pointing to the /EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi and not /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi

this... or upload the files from the repository ;-)

I actually am using your files, what else could i use :) I can get into installer no problem, it finishes its work in 5 minutes and then after reboot I am greeted in Clover with 3 options, Boot OS X Install from Install macOS High Sierra, Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD, Boot macOS from Macintosh HD. I believe I should choose the Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD? But it stalls with AppleACPICPU. I copied all the files from Your repo and it didnt work. After I tried adding AppleACPIPlatform.kext from some other guide. Now I am stuck :) Thank you for all the help!  

Edited by th3_v0ice

works fine.

Upgrade:

God damn it, why is my machine always that special snowflake. I do have the feeling it's telling me to wipe, patch for 4k and reinstall. But that means creating an image of windows and bla bla bla no time. Well, then no macOS on my notebook until the christmas break.

I actually am using your files, what else could i use :) I can get into installer no problem, it finishes its work in 5 minutes and then after reboot I am greeted in Clover with 3 options, Boot OS X Install from Install macOS High Sierra, Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD, Boot macOS from Macintosh HD. I believe I should choose the Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD? But it stalls with AppleACPICPU. I copied all the files from Your repo and it didnt work. After I tried adding AppleACPIPlatform.kext from some other guide. Now I am stuck :) Thank you for all the help!

I have the exact same problem as well. Changing from Cloverx64.efi to bootx64.efi does unfortunately not work either.

Doing a clean install.

4k sector, extended journal, GUID, with prepared empty partition for bootcamp.

Any more ideas?

a fix i found in another forum:

I had the same problem. Then I took the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the system library Extensions and copied it into the EFI, Clover, kext, other folder, just to see if I could get past that kextd stall. And it worked. High Sierra completely installed. I then took the AppleACPIPlatform.kext out of the Clover folder. Hope this works for you.

most fixes on the web suggest reinstalling clover.

another idea: is it possible you guys are using the i5 xps version?

I tried reinstalling clover, this time booted up from cloverx64.efi, but it still stalls at the same place. Tried putting the AppleACPIPlatform.kext on usb EFI but it still stalls at the same place. Redownloaded the image, created the USB drive again, same error.

most fixes on the web suggest reinstalling clover.

another idea: is it possible you guys are using the i5 xps version?

Mine is i7, same as yours, just samsungs nvme. Judging by the description Lockzi left he is using one too. 

Edited by th3_v0ice