Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Yes, there is also the BOOTIA32.efi file there to.  After some google searching there was one post claiming that this particular Bios may have some UEFI simulation setting and may not be a true UEFI Motherboard.  I can verify it does not have secure boot or enable/disable CSM which I thought was needed for true UEFI motherboard/bios no?

I suppose you already checked that, but does it show any kind of log when you boot in verbose mode?

I had a similar issue (can't reach Clover UI since the laptop would just reboot every time I try to boot from the USB drive) on a friend's laptop. It's an Asus X552LDV-SX470D. Thread here if you wanna take a look.

Solution for me was to check Kernel Pm option. Not sure it's the same thing, but if you can't see any kind of log when booting in verbose mode, checking this option might help.

Truth be told, I had the same issue when booting both in UEFI and "legacy" mode.

Still, I guess it wouldn't hurt trying this too, in case you haven't already.

I suppose you already checked that, but does it show any kind of log when you boot in verbose mode?

I had a similar issue (can't reach Clover UI since the laptop would just reboot every time I try to boot from the USB drive) on a friend's laptop. It's an Asus X552LDV-SX470D. Thread here if you wanna take a look.

Solution for me was to check Kernel Pm option. Not sure it's the same thing, but if you can't see any kind of log when booting in verbose mode, checking this option might help.

Truth be told, I had the same issue when booting both in UEFI and "legacy" mode.

Still, I guess it wouldn't hurt trying this too, in case you haven't already.

What is the similar issue? Did you tell about starting OSX or CloverGUI? If Clover GUI then no matter is KernelPM option set or no.

@oSxFr33k

If you didn't check any "fast boot", "timeout=0" or "NoEarlyProgress=true" then you should see something on the screen. Tell us, what do you see.

What is the similar issue? Did you tell about starting OSX or CloverGUI? If Clover GUI then no matter is KernelPM option set or no.

@oSxFr33k

If you didn't check any "fast boot", "timeout=0" or "NoEarlyProgress=true" then you should see something on the screen. Tell us, what do you see.

Hi Slice

You're right. Please, ignore my previous message. It's not the same thing.

@oSxFr33k

It boots perfectly fine no complaints at all on booting to Clover GUI or Desktop.   It just does not boot UEFI, it boots legacy,  b1f: Init5.  See Attached Log

bootlog.log.txt

I have an Asus Laptop G74Sx that I thought the Bios/Motherboard was UEFI but Clover will only boot with legacy install boot0af, will not boot for UEFI booting only option.   The bios has enable/disable UEFI boot as a setting but i'm guessing that does not mean its a UEFI bios? How can I troubleshoot to see why it will not boot UEFI?  Right now I have dual boot legacy/UEFI since I am swapping out my SSD Drive between two devices for testing purposes.

Is there a UEFI option when you use your system's boot selection key (<ESC> key for ASUS machines)?

Are you able to boot and install Windows in UEFI mode?

If yes, you can try using EasyUEFI to set CloverX64.efi as first priority in your system's UEFI boot menu (guide here).

• Like 1

Is there a UEFI option when you use your system's boot selection key (<ESC> key for ASUS machines)?

Are you able to boot and install Windows in UEFI mode?

If yes, you can try using EasyUEFI to set CloverX64.efi as first priority in your system's UEFI boot menu (guide here).

Windows HD removed for now.   When I hit ESC I do not see UEFI but if I place a flash drive with a windows UEFI installer and hit ESC I see Kingston regular and EFI both!!

Maybe I did something to Bios when I used the Aptio tools to enable hidden menus specifically CPU CFG lock/unlock.

See Attached Bios screenshots.  I'll give EasyUEFI a try on a USB flash drive.

post-135888-0-64738100-1455085847_thumb.jpg

post-135888-0-36462500-1455085856_thumb.jpg

Windows HD removed for now.   When I hit ESC I do not see UEFI but if I place a flash drive with a windows UEFI installer and hit ESC I see Kingston regular and EFI both!!

Maybe I did something to Bios when I used the Aptio tools to enable hidden menus specifically CPU CFG lock/unlock.

See Attached Bios screenshots.  I'll give EasyUEFI a try on a USB flash drive.

UEFI BIOS will see UEFI option if a file /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI presents. Check!

The partition EFI must be FAT32 formatted and has EF00 signature.

Show me output from gdisk utility.

gdisk.zip

• Like 1

i have a laptop with x64 atom cpu, but the board has only 32bit UEFI. i said ONLY because it has no legacy feature. Can clover UEFI handle it?

its stuck in ********************************************* upon pressing ENTER in clover menu.

It goes something like this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300651-requesting-guide-to-install-mavericksyosemite-on-an-intel-atom-baytrail-tz3735d-tablet-pc/

UEFI BIOS will see UEFI option if a file /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI presents. Check!

The partition EFI must be FAT32 formatted and has EF00 signature.

Show me output from gdisk utility.

attachicon.gifgdisk.zip

I tried entering several different ways always error 20?  What do I put in for the device name?

osxfr33ksiMac3:downloads osxfr33k$ ./gdisk

GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.6.13

Type device filename, or press <Enter> to exit: 

Edited:

My fault

Type device filename, or press <Enter> to exit: /dev/disk0

Problem opening /dev/disk0 for reading! Error is 13.

You must run this program as root or use sudo!

osxfr33ksiMac3:downloads osxfr33k$ sudo ./gdisk

Password:

GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.6.13

Type device filename, or press <Enter> to exit: /dev/disk0

Partition table scan:

MBR: protective

BSD: not present

APM: not present

GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): 

• Like 1

Then press "?" to see how to get information about partitions.

Ok looks like signature is wrong but this SSD drive boots another device in UEFI even with 0700 signature.  How do I fix that?  I installed both EFI/Legacy clover on this drive so I can use it in multiple devices with OEM folder.  Some devices are legacy and some UEFI.

Command (? for help): i

Partition number (1-4): 1

Partition GUID code: EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7 (Linux/Windows data)

Partition unique GUID: 96C85459-F20E-4F41-A695-118A78FDF975

First sector: 40 (at 20.0 KiB)

Last sector: 409639 (at 200.0 MiB)

Partition size: 409600 sectors (200.0 MiB)

Attribute flags: 0000000000000000

Partition name: EFI System Partition

Command (? for help): p

Disk /dev/disk1: 1000215216 sectors, 476.9 GiB

Logical sector size: 512 bytes

Disk identifier (GUID): 23E53F2E-7D91-4949-BC3E-36C0C1C62AEE

Partition table holds up to 128 entries

First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 1000215182

Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries

Total free space is 524301 sectors (256.0 MiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name

1              40          409639   200.0 MiB   0700  EFI System Partition

2          409640       929653911   443.1 GiB   AF00  MacOS

3       929916056       931185591   619.9 MiB   AB00  Recovery HD

4       931185592       999953031   32.8 GiB    AF00  Untitled

• Like 1

@oSxFr33k,

It does look like your hard drive's EFI System Partition has the wrong partition type code (should be EF00 not 0700)

You can use GDisk (option t) to fix - see post#359 in the AIO guides.

Thanks I'll fix both drives tonight.  I pulled another SSD drive from another device and verified that it did have the code EF00 for EFI partition and it has both Clover UEFI/Legacy installed and the Asus G74SX still refuses to boot UEFI and only legacy.   I am going to try and boot it off a USB stick UEFI only to see if that will work or not and then last resort is to try EasyUEFI.

My Windows 8 UEFI flash drive installer works perfectly on this laptop no issues at all booting UEFI Kingston Flash Drive.

Can EasyUEFI be installed on a Flash Drive?

Finaly i did it! These are my Settings for 2 different RADEON GFX-Cards with different FrameBuffers via "Arbitrary"-Key under "Devices":

post-598588-0-62805000-1455143805_thumb.jpg

Radeon HD6570 runs with FB "Gibba" while R9 380X runs with FB "Greyhound". Full QE and Accelleration.

Connected are actually 3 Monitors: 4k Iilyama DP and Samsung 48" TV HDMI via R9 380X and same 4k Iilyama HDMI via HD6570

HD6570 in PCI-Slot#1 (primary Boot-GFX), Radeon R9 380X in PCI-Slot#3

Thanx for the hint to "Arbitrary" Key...  ;-)

• Like 4

When I'm using Chameleon boot loader and DSDT free,update OS X Mavericks 10.9 to 10.9.5 (13F1603) then reboot by auto,log in and I got black screen and OS X crashed.

When I'm using Clover boot loader and DSDT free,update OS X Mavericks 10.9 to 10.9.5 (13F1603) then reboot by auto,log in and I got everything fine.

What does Clover do and Chameleon doesn't do when I do this?

@oSxFr33k,

It does look like your hard drive's EFI System Partition has the wrong partition type code (should be EF00 not 0700)

You can use GDisk (option t) to fix - see post#359 in the AIO guides.

Thanks for the guide I repaired both drives EFI partition, although I still cannot boot Clover UEFI only legacy. I removed all hard drives after I installed Clover (UEFI booting) to Flash Drive and it just won't boot UEFI from hard drive or flash drive, yet windows 8 UEFI Flash Drive installer boots immediately  that way no problems!

Can I install EasyUEFI onto the flash drive?

Finaly i did it! These are my Settings for 2 different RADEON GFX-Cards with different FrameBuffers via "Arbitrary"-Key under "Devices":

attachicon.gifArbitrary-Settings-for-2-Radeon-GFX-Cards.jpg

Radeon HD6570 runs with FB "Gibba" while R9 380X runs with FB "Greyhound". Full QE and Accelleration.

Connected are actually 3 Monitors: 4k Iilyama DP and Samsung 48" TV HDMI via R9 380X and same 4k Iilyama HDMI via HD6570

HD6570 in PCI-Slot#1 (primary Boot-GFX), Radeon R9 380X in PCI-Slot#3

Thanx for the hint to "Arbitrary" Key...  ;-)

Mind sharing this wonderful discovery ? I'm planning to buy the Sapphire R9 380 in a couple of days for this :D

Mind sharing this wonderful discovery ? I'm planning to buy the Sapphire R9 380 in a couple of days for this :D

No problem, but keep in mind, that u still need Framebufferpatch for your FB. And keep in mind, that R9 380X still not work without an discrete GFX.

Settings doesn't help when using R9 380x alone - still giving blackscreen after verbose boot.

Can I install EasyUEFI onto the flash drive?

Unfortunately not.  AFAIK, it only works from a fully installed copy of UEFI Windows.

Since your BIOS is able to see the UEFI Windows 8 installer, one experiment you can try is to let Clover masquerade as the Windows boot loader on your hard drive and see if that enables UEFI booting ie

1. Copy CLOVERX64.efi from the EFI\Clover folder to EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
  2. Rename the original Windows boot loader bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi (post#9314 by @Slice)
  3. Rename CLOVERX64.efi to bootmgfw.efi
  • Like 1

Unfortunately not.  AFAIK, it only works from a fully installed copy of UEFI Windows.

Since your BIOS is able to see the UEFI Windows 8 installer, one experiment you can try is to let Clover masquerade as the Windows boot loader on your hard drive and see if that enables UEFI booting ie

1. Copy CLOVERX64.efi from the EFI\Clover folder to EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
  2. Rename the original Windows boot loader bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi (post#9314 by @Slice)
  3. Rename CLOVERX64.efi to bootmgfw.efi

I'll give that a try.   I will probably flash back my original unmodified Bios.   I used the Aptio tools to enable hidden menus in the Bios so I have access to the CPU CFG lock/unlock.   I have not touched any other options in the hidden menu except for that one.  So not sure if something is not perfect some signature etc that Clover detects as a legacy bios because of it?

I ran into a problem with my keyboard using clover. (clover kill's my keyboard till i replug it, even rebooting doesn't help)

Now im trying to compile clover by myself with DISABLE_USB_SUPPORT defined, but i don't exactly know how.

I did a compile with clovergrowerpro and it succeeded, but i dont know how/where to define the variable.

(btw im only java developer, i hardly know whats going on there in this scripts called by clovergrowerpro :/)

• Like 1