Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

@OSbeast - i have T420 1600x900 and its a no-go. the bios on these boxes are pretty basic in terms of video. clover should give the gamut. i picked 960x600 as it was good compromise between size and distortion 

2:655  0:033  SetScreenResolution: 960x600 - setting Mode 1

2:761  0:105  Video mode change to mode #1: Success

2:761  0:000  Console modes reported: 7, available modes:

2:761  0:000    Mode 1: 80x25

2:761  0:000    Mode 3: 96x25

2:761  0:000    Mode 4: 120x31 (current mode)

2:761  0:000    Mode 5: 128x40

2:761  0:000    Mode 6: 80x25

2:761  0:000    Mode 7: 100x31

As it was discussed before, putting the kexts in Other folder and removing the other folders is not a problem. The problem is that, on next Clover installation, those folders will be added back automatically. And Clover will start looking for FakeSMC under /10.11 for El Capitan (just an example). Anyway, this is still open for debate, for as far as I know. :) Just wanted to bring you up to speed.

If you use Clover's /EFI/CLOVER/OEM/ folder to store your config.plist and kexts, I've found that the 10.x folders aren't restored automatically when you reinstall Clover - so you can keep the common kexts for all your OSX versions in the "Other" folder  ;)  ...

post-846696-0-50345800-1444341044_thumb.png

• Like 1

Anyone having problems booting  clover 3280 in Yosemite?  Verbose shows that it  stops just right after IOBluetooth which is about when I normal boot to desktop.  I just went back to 3270 until I can get some debug/logs together.

Anyone having problems booting  clover 3280 in Yosemite?  Verbose shows that it  stops just right after IOBluetooth which is about when I normal boot to desktop.  I just went back to 3270 until I can get some debug/logs together.

i mine is booting fine with clover rev 3280 in Yosemite maybe try clearing  your cache and try again....

Anyone having problems booting clover 3280 in Yosemite? Verbose shows that it stops just right after IOBluetooth which is about when I normal boot to desktop. I just went back to 3270 until I can get some debug/logs together.

To me, it sounds like FakeSMC problems. But I guess you double checked that, right?

Also, it wouldn't work with 3270 if it was that. So...I don't know.

Clover in ESP.

Check Drivers64UEFI and choose:

1. DataHubDxe-64

2. OSxAptioFix2Drv-64 (don't use them both)

3. PartitionDxe-64 

Thank you arsraon.  Now everything works great. EFI now have it's own drive. However, I cannot use Clover Config to mount EFI. It said mounted but when I click on El Capitan drive, it didn't show.  I had to use terminal 

diskutil list

diskutil mount /dev/disk0s1

Then it show and mounted.  :)

My second question is, how do I hide or rename 2 Windows HDD.  I have separate hard drive.  1) SSD Windows 7, 2) HDD Windows 10 Pro 3) HDD El Capitan.

Both Windows show as Legacy HD1, Legacy H2 -->Windows 7,  Legacy HD1, Legacy H2 -->Windows 10 Pro

If I use Clover Config-->GUI-> Custom Legacy-->

Volume: Legacy HD1

FullTitel: Windows 7

Type: Windows

Both drive will show as Windows 7 because they both name a "Legacy HD1". I read in Clover v2 Instruction but I do not understand.

208wvwj.jpg

Thank you arsraon.  Now everything works great. EFI now have it's own drive. However, I cannot use Clover Config to mount EFI. It said mounted but when I click on El Capitan drive, it didn't show.  I had to use terminal 

diskutil list

diskutil mount /dev/disk0s1

Then it show and mounted.  :)

My second question is, how do I hide or rename 2 Windows HDD.  I have separate hard drive.  1) SSD Windows 7, 2) HDD Windows 10 Pro 3) HDD El Capitan.

Both Windows show as Legacy HD1, Legacy H2 -->Windows 7,  Legacy HD1, Legacy H2 -->Windows 10 Pro

Both drive will show as Windows 7 because they both name a "Legacy HD1". I read in Clover v2 Instruction but I do not understand.

I'm not sure how to rename them. Maybe someone else can shed a bit of light over that.

There is an option, in GUI, to hide volumes. However....it doesn't seem to do anything. At least not in my case (I've got Windows on a separate drive). You can give it a try. See if it works for you.

@Slice, any idea how was this feature designed to work? Or why doesn't it work in my case? Is it because Windows is on a separate drive? I don't mind seeing it there, I got used to it, even though I can't launch it from there. But I'm just curious as for why does this happen. :) Any idea?

post-1303722-0-17137000-1444413035_thumb.png

I'm not sure how to rename them. Maybe someone else can shed a bit of light over that.

There is an option, in GUI, to hide volumes. However....it doesn't seem to do anything. At least not in my case (I've got Windows on a separate drive). You can give it a try. See if it works for you.

@Slice, any idea how was this feature designed to work? Or why doesn't it work in my case? Is it because Windows is on a separate drive? I don't mind seeing it there, I got used to it, even though I can't launch it from there. But I'm just curious as for why does this happen. :) Any idea?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-10-09 at 8.47.51 PM.png

I did the same as your but I uncheck Legacy.  Hide Volume box on the Right, I enter Recovery HD.

With this setup, I have El Capitan, Legacy HD1, and Legacy HD1. 

At bottom where it say "Custom Legacy".  If i add

FullTitle: Windows 7

With this I see El Capitan, Windows 7, and Windows 7.   The reason was Windows 10 was also Legacy HD1 too.  So I do not know how to make it Windows 10.

If I remove "Custom Legacy". I get this El Capitan, Legacy HD1, and Legacy HD1.

I remember back with Chameleon, I only need to do

<key>Hide Partition</key>

<string>hd(x,y)</string>

So easy

Maybe just me, but Clover is complicated when hiding partition but I'm always up for changes :)

I did the same as your but I uncheck Legacy.  Hide Volume box on the Right, I enter Recovery HD.

With this setup, I have El Capitan, Legacy HD1, and Legacy HD1. 

At bottom where it say "Custom Legacy".  If i add

FullTitle: Windows 7

With this I see El Capitan, Windows 7, and Windows 7.   The reason was Windows 10 was also Legacy HD1 too.  So I do not know how to make it Windows 10.

If I remove "Custom Legacy". I get this El Capitan, Legacy HD1, and Legacy HD1.

I remember back with Chameleon, I only need to do

<key>Hide Partition</key>

<string>hd(x,y)</string>

So easy

Maybe just me, but Clover is complicated when hiding partition but I'm always up for changes :)

Patience. I'm sure there is a way to rename them. That is also the thing that makes Clover a software better suited for the more advanced users. It's got a TON of customization, in comparison to Chameleon. But it's also got a bit of a steep learning curve to it, especially coming from other bootloaders. 

Open boot.log and see which drives it detect, hide them by UUID.

Uhm...sure. But I can't really tell what is the UUID of my Windows drives in this case. It doesn't seem to be picked up in the log.

The MBR volumes are the ones I'm interested in. The GPT drive is my Mac drive, and I have no Windows in there.

Also, maybe I'm wrong, but is the "Windows" detection supposed to work with Windows 7 and newer?

boot.log.zip

Can anyone remember the reason for the Clover installer Custom Install section looking like this with a package built by CGP (Zero KB size and no dropdown box to choose Drivers64UEFI etc)?

post-499606-0-82825600-1444418118_thumb.png

I do recall someone having this issue before but can't seem to find it now sorry.

Can anyone remember the reason for the Clover installer Custom Install section looking like this with a package built by CGP (Zero KB size and no dropdown box to choose Drivers64UEFI etc)?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-10-09 at 20.13.41.png

I do recall someone having this issue before but can't seem to find it now sorry.

i did. :P

Try removing edk2 condition to use that special revision (18198). It's not needed anymore.

It's a fresh install of CGP on my new El Capitan install so haven't changed anything in CGP.

Then IT is probably still using that revision for some reason. Try building manually. I will try it now, as well. Just to see if it still works.

Update: Same issue with manual compiling. Still...I feel like it might have something to do with edk2. What it might be now...I have no clue.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-10-09 at 20.13.41.png

My compilation looks otherwise

Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 8.50.16.png

I am not using CGP. My way

#!/bin/bash

./ebuild.sh --ia32
./ebuild.sh -mc -D DISABLE_USB_SUPPORT
./ebuild.sh 
cd CloverPackage
./makepkg
./makeiso
cd ..
echo "done!"

i did. :P

Try removing edk2 condition to use that special revision (18198). It's not needed anymore.

What is the reason to update EDK2? You want to obtain new bugs?

• Like 3

I am not using CGP. My way

#!/bin/bash

./ebuild.sh --ia32
./ebuild.sh -mc -D DISABLE_USB_SUPPORT
./ebuild.sh 
cd CloverPackage
./makepkg
./makeiso
cd ..
echo "done!"

What is the reason to update EDK2? You want to obtain new bugs?

Thanks for sharing!

And no, of course not. :)) But,Sergey, last time I tried to build with a specific edk2 revision, I got the exact same issue (if that revision was not ok for the build). When building without it and letting it update itself, I got better results (at least for a while). So I thought I would just let it update when it wants to update. Now the issue seems to have reappeared. And this time I don't know how to avoid it anymore. By the way, I don't need to build anything right now, since I already have the latest Clover revision (3280). I just thought I would help D-an-W figure out what's going on with his issue.

Now, although I'm not recreating the building environment everytime I build, I did have to do it once when I reinstalled El Capitan (clean install), and I didn't have any issues back then, and once more yesterday, to confirm that issue that D-an-W mentioned above. And now I'm sorry I didn't make a backup before doing that. :))

Anyway, I'll try your way, as well, although it doesn't seem to have anything specific for edk2 (assuming that's where the problem comes from), and I'll let you know. Thanks, man. :)

By the way, any thoughts on the hiding Windows partitions topic? :D I would like to hear your opinion on that.

208wvwj.jpg

Try installing NTFS.efi into /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 or /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI.

This will enable Clover to read the actual NTFS volume name eg "Windows10" instead of ""Legacy HD1".  You can then hide entries as explained in the Clover wiki:

Eg you can use the following in GUI/config.plist to hide all legacy entries except the custom Windows 10 legacy menu entry for the volume "WIN10"...

<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Scan</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Legacy</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Tool</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>Custom</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>FullTitle</key>
					<string>UEFI Internal</string>
					<key>Hidden</key>
					<true/>
					<key>Ignore</key>
					<false/>
					<key>InjectKexts</key>
					<false/>
					<key>NoCaches</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Type</key>
					<string>Other</string>
				</dict>
			</array>
			<key>Legacy</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Hidden</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Ignore</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Title</key>
					<string>Windows 10</string>
					<key>Type</key>
					<string>Windows</string>
					<key>Volume</key>
					<string>WIN10</string>
				</dict>
			</array>
		</dict>
	<dict>

• Like 1

Thanks Slice, I will stick to downloading the built one for now as I quickly run out of talent without a guide as to what the various options are  :wacko:

svn co -r 18578 svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/trunk/edk2 edk2

Seems to be working fine for me.

Looks like the recent changes in Base Tools might have broken something. Again. Anyway. Try it. See if it works for you, as well.

As for hiding my NTFS partitions from boot, since they are running on a MBR formated drive, all I had to do was to uncheck Legacy in Clover GUI (Scan). 

Check this out. Looks like a pyramid. Or...a christmas tree. :)) Pretty cool, huh? :D

post-1303722-0-84387000-1444472525_thumb.png

• Like 1

Seems to be working fine for me.

Looks like the recent changes in Base Tools might have broken something. Again. Anyway. Try it. See if it works for you, as well.

As for hiding my NTFS partitions from boot, since they are running on a MBR formated drive, all I had to do was to uncheck Legacy in Clover GUI (Scan). 

Check this out. Looks like a pyramid. Or...a christmas tree. :)) Pretty cool, huh? :D

attachicon.gifscreenshot.png

Is that using CGP, sorry having a dumb moment...I assume I have to run that at some point or edit a config file?

Is that using CGP, sorry having a dumb moment...I assume I have to run that at some point or edit a config file?

No, it's not with CGP. But I assume it can be adapted for that to work too. :) Bottom line: you need to force it to use a specific edk2 revision (in this case, I chose 18578), that won't screw things up when compiling.

I meant for manual compiling.

You need to run these commands:

cd ~
mkdir src
cd src

echo Using svn revision 18578

echo Building the compiler using gcc-4.9. This is the compiler that can do LTO optimization.
cd edk2

make -C BaseTools/Source/C

svn co svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/cloverefiboot/code Clover 

cd Clover
./buildgettext.sh
./buildgcc-4.9.sh 
./buildnasm.sh

echo Adapting the EDK2 environment to our needs

cd ..
./edksetup.sh 
cp -R Clover/Patches_for_EDK2/* ./

echo Building Clover bootloader

cd Clover
./ebuild.sh --ia32
./ebuild.sh -mc
./ebuild.sh

echo Making Clover pkg or iso [default: pkg]

cd CloverPackage/

#For pkg
./makepkg

#For iso
#./makeiso

say “All done!”

You can save this into a script, if you want, so you don't need to run it line by line every time. Actually, I would recommend you do that.

Also, keep in mind that this will create the working folder, along with all the tools needed for compiling.

If you already have them (as for future compiling, for example), all you need to do is this:

cd ~/src/edk2/Clover
svn up

echo Building Clover bootloader

cd Clover
./ebuild.sh clean
./ebuild.sh --ia32
./ebuild.sh -mc
./ebuild.sh

echo Making Clover pkg or iso [default: pkg]

cd CloverPackage/

#For pkg
./makepkg

#For iso
#./makeiso

say “All done!”
  • Like 1

Thanks, trying this as my CloverGrowerPro.conf file as a test...

BUILD_PACKAGE='Ask'
CHECKUPDATEINTERVAL='86400'
CLOVERSVNURL='svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/cloverefiboot/code'
DEFAULT_TARGET='x64'
EDK2DIR='/Users/Dan/Downloads/CloverGrowerPro/edk2'
EDK2SVNURL='svn co  18578 svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/trunk/edk2'
ENABLE_SECURE_BOOT='0'
ONLY_SATA0_PATCH='0'
TOOLCHAIN='/Users/Dan/Downloads/CloverGrowerPro/toolchain'
USE_APPLE_HFSPLUS_DRIVER='1'
VBIOS_PATCH_IN_CLOVEREFI='0'
  • Like 1

Thanks, trying this as my CloverGrowerPro.conf file as a test...

BUILD_PACKAGE='Ask'
CHECKUPDATEINTERVAL='86400'
CLOVERSVNURL='svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/cloverefiboot/code'
DEFAULT_TARGET='x64'
EDK2DIR='/Users/Dan/Downloads/CloverGrowerPro/edk2'
EDK2SVNURL='svn co  18578 svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/trunk/edk2'
ENABLE_SECURE_BOOT='0'
ONLY_SATA0_PATCH='0'
TOOLCHAIN='/Users/Dan/Downloads/CloverGrowerPro/toolchain'
USE_APPLE_HFSPLUS_DRIVER='1'
VBIOS_PATCH_IN_CLOVEREFI='0'

You forgot a -r there? Maybe? :)