Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,868 posts in this topic

Yes, the issue should be resolved with 3113 if you installed all new scripts and utilities by official installer.

Well, what I wanted to say is: the issue is not resolved with 3113, at least not on my end.

EFI partition still shows up. Did install the scripts as always.

Regarding my Efi partition not showing up:

tried diskutil list and it seems that the partition ID might be wrong:

GPT part - EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7

But actually this ID should read as follows:

GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B

So maybe this is the reason it is always mounted, bc OS X does not see it as an EFI partition??

If "yes", the question would be then: how did this happen and how can I solve it?

I am quite wary of editing my partition data, so I think I can need some help here! TIA!

Regarding my Efi partition not showing up:

tried diskutil list and it seems that the partition ID might be wrong:

GPT part - EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7

But actually this ID should read as follows:

GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B

So maybe this is the reason it is always mounted, bc OS X does not see it as an EFI partition??

If "yes", the question would be then: how did this happen and how can I solve it?

I am quite wary of editing my partition data, so I think I can need some help here! TIA!

EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7 means you formatted EFI partition into exFAT or NTFS(?).

You have to reformat it to FAT32.

This utility can help to to set signature to EF00

gdisk.zip

EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7 means you formatted EFI partition into exFAT or NTFS(?).

You have to reformat it to FAT32.

This utility can help to to set signature to EF00

attachicon.gifgdisk.zip

No, the partition is formatted as FAT32, or else I could not boot.

This is how the output of diskutil list looks like:

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
   1:       Microsoft Basic Data EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OS X                    700.0 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk0s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows                 298.8 GB   disk0s5
   6: DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC               367.0 MB   disk0s6

As you can see this is a bit more complex setup, with win8 dualboot, including the OS X recovery partition and also the win8 recovery partition.

It worked perfectly before, but since it reads now "Microsoft Basic Data EFI" - maybe it was a windows update which did change this?

I looked at your gdisk program, but I do not know this tool, and I am very wary to play with my partition setup without exactly knowing what I am doing.

What would be the most simple / safe way, of course without setting up my whole system(s) again? Can you tell me what command I have to use with gdisk? Any help really appreciated!!

PS: simply formatting the partition - at least with DU - does not work, says that the device has not enough memory - wtf?

See

slice$ gdisk
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.6.13

Type device filename, or press <Enter> to exit: /dev/disk1
Partition table scan:
  MBR: protective
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): P
Disk /dev/disk1: 2000040 sectors, 976.6 MiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): A1E65F48-BB6F-4544-AE74-10D0601AE093
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 2000006
Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
Total free space is 2021 sectors (1010.5 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1            2048          395263   192.0 MiB   EF00  QEFI
   2          395264         1999999   783.6 MiB   AF00  Macintosh

Command (? for help): 

No dangerous. All in your control up to final write to disk.

You must set your EFI partition to be EF00

• Like 1

See

slice$ gdisk
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.6.13

Type device filename, or press <Enter> to exit: /dev/disk1
Partition table scan:
  MBR: protective
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): P
Disk /dev/disk1: 2000040 sectors, 976.6 MiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): A1E65F48-BB6F-4544-AE74-10D0601AE093
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 2000006
Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
Total free space is 2021 sectors (1010.5 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1            2048          395263   192.0 MiB   EF00  QEFI
   2          395264         1999999   783.6 MiB   AF00  Macintosh

Command (? for help): 

No dangerous. All in your control up to final write to disk.

You must set your EFI partition to be EF00

OK, I did it, using the "t" command ... and YAY it worked!

Thanks a lot, now my partition did not show up upon reboot!

Thanks a lot!

Hmmm - no idea why I can't post to the Clover forum, but I can reply on this thread?!!

New to all this, and following InsanelyMac instructions to install Yosemite on my Dell X8300.

Installed Yosemite installer and Clover_v2k_r3113 to USB drive, booted from it...and nothing.  Just sits there with a flashing prompt in top left corner.

How do I get past this?!!

cheers

David

@redcoatd

is your USB formatted as MBR or GUID for UEFI boot? does your installer have an EFI partition?

but the question really is which options in the installer did you use to install the Clover on the USB? 

sounds like it did not really boot anything - ie find anything to boot on the USB?

for example: if not using UEFI, did you click option to install boot0af in MBR?

@slice - Curious as to what the new item in EFI/Clover/tools is for and how to use it? bdmesg.efi (showed up in r3120)

of course, i am familiar with the bdmesg in /usr/local/bin

Today I accidentally discovered that Clover applies DSDT/config.plist to Windows also or may be I am wrong. I booted into windows with basic clover config and saw my screen resolution was not correct. And I did clover installation and booted, but now I see correct screen resolution.

So does clover has any influence on windows booting also? If yes, how do I boot into windows without DSDT/config.plist taking effect?

@redcoatd

is your USB formatted as MBR or GUID for UEFI boot? does your installer have an EFI partition?

but the question really is which options in the installer did you use to install the Clover on the USB? 

sounds like it did not really boot anything - ie find anything to boot on the USB?

for example: if not using UEFI, did you click option to install boot0af in MBR?

Hi,

thanks for the reply!  Feeling pretty lost here...

I just tried to go through the instructions here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298521-easy-yosemite-1010-final-usb-installer-updated-10162014/

"Format a 8GB+ USB with GUID partition mapping and name it Install.

<copy yosemite>

Now Install Clover r2696 (or newer) to the Install USB. Clover r2953 or newer Recommended! "

So I just doubled clicked on Clover download and pointed it to my USB stick.

As you can probably guess, I'm completely new to Clover...  Can you point me to clearer instructions on the Clover part, please?  And how should I use Disk Utility to set up the USB stick?

cheers!

David

Well...I started thinking about the MBR, and reformated the stick to use that...and then found the Clover 'customize' button ;)

I changed the option to make it install on MBR, and that seems to be working now..

thanks!

@redcoatd

for USB OSX installer, MBR is OK. However, for your X8300, the main HD should be formatted GPT/GUID and look into UEFI etc.

when you partition a disk with Disk Utility - there is an Options ... button at the bottom which allows to change the disk personality. 

I presume the X8300 is new enough to have UEFI - so will want to use that as it much easier in the long run IMO. Clover will mount the ESP (EFI partition) and install the pieces there without having to mess with MBR boot files etc. 

@redcoatd

for USB OSX installer, MBR is OK. However, for your X8300, the main HD should be formatted GPT/GUID and look into UEFI etc.

when you partition a disk with Disk Utility - there is an Options ... button at the bottom which allows to change the disk personality. 

I presume the X8300 is new enough to have UEFI - so will want to use that as it much easier in the long run IMO. Clover will mount the ESP (EFI partition) and install the pieces there without having to mess with MBR boot files etc. 

Thanks...  I have no idea what UEFI is ;)  How do I tell if X8300 uses it?

Also, I would *really* like to get this X8300 set up to dual boot with Windows 7.  What's the best way to do that?  Install Windows first or 2nd?

cheers

David

Hmm, I just started the install on the disk which is set up with GUID and has Win 7 in a separate partition already.  I went into Disk Utility and erased the previous install (made via TonyMac) but when I try and install it now says "some features of os x 10.10 are not supported for the disk".

Any idea how I get around that?

cheers

David

Hi all,

I have a strange behaiviour with the latest clover version  (from the version 3050).

One my hack, I have two sata drives with yosemite install on it

• on the first one I can boot from the new release on clover
  • on the seconde one I can't, I have to stay at the release 3033. when I boot on this drive, clover start but when I arrive at the gui, I can't choose this drive to start OS X.

on each drives, I use the same clover drivers and the same config file

I attach the boot log with 3033 and 3113 and the boot screen

Any suggestion ?

regards,

Barnum

debug-3033.log.zip

debug-3113.log.zip

post-128641-0-52341500-1420559004_thumb.jpg

post-128641-0-38866700-1420559036_thumb.jpg

Thanks...  I have no idea what UEFI is ;)  How do I tell if X8300 uses it?

Also, I would *really* like to get this X8300 set up to dual boot with Windows 7.  What's the best way to do that?  Install Windows first or 2nd?

cheers

David

Hmm, I just started the install on the disk which is set up with GUID and has Win 7 in a separate partition already.  I went into Disk Utility and erased the previous install (made via TonyMac) but when I try and install it now says "some features of os x 10.10 are not supported for the disk".

Any idea how I get around that?

cheers

David

Well, I installed anyway, and got to the end of the installation...but now when I reboot and go back into Clover on my USB stick, and I don't see the new partition to boot from (just the 2 partitions on the USB stick, along with Windows that's already installed).

Very confused... :(

Any ideas?

after update rev 3063 i can see boot process on before gui loading..

i think it is very convenient..

in the fast time i can not found the simple fact that big image file in theme slow down boot prosess.

until i found that i spent a lot of time..

if at that time this feature is exists.... i will help lots of people

.... but i do not need it now..

how can i turn it off???

anyone else have windows 8 crash when booted by clover?

so i have clover installed and windows 8 installed as uefi. when i boot windows through the bios it works fine but when i boot windows efi through clover it goes to the windows boot logo spins a few times then my monitor just turns off. the computer is still on and the fans are still running so i cant tell if windows is still running just without the graphics card. when i start windows in safemode through clover though it boots just fine. anyone else have this issue or know how to solve it?

I have a gtx770 and z87x-ud3h

after update rev 3063 i can see boot process on before gui loading..

i think it is very convenient..

in the fast time i can not found the simple fact that big image file in theme slow down boot prosess.

until i found that i spent a lot of time..

if at that time this feature is exists.... i will help lots of people

.... but i do not need it now..

how can i turn it off???

No, it doesn't spent a time. Just look into boot.log to see this.

If you want a fastest boot you can set

Timeout=0

or even

Fastboot=true

In those cases there will be no messages.

anyone else have windows 8 crash when booted by clover?

so i have clover installed and windows 8 installed as uefi. when i boot windows through the bios it works fine but when i boot windows efi through clover it goes to the windows boot logo spins a few times then my monitor just turns off. the computer is still on and the fans are still running so i cant tell if windows is still running just without the graphics card. when i start windows in safemode through clover though it boots just fine. anyone else have this issue or know how to solve it?

I have a gtx770 and z87x-ud3h

I get random crashes all the time while trying to load up windows.  Sometimes it takes 3 boots (long ones, too) before it will make it to the desktop.  If I unplug my Yosemite SSD and the HDD I use for backup, My windows 8.1 boots up in less than two times the circle can complete.  Even just having the drives plugged in and booting straight windows takes forever.  It all started happening around Rev. 29XX.  I've reformatted my Windows and started all over and it still has the same behavior.  Thinking about wiping Yosemite/clover, etc and starting over there as well.

What clover are using the dual boot?

I also use clover for pure UEFI dual boot and it works pretty good. I can even boot my Windows 8.1 install as "bootcamp" via parallels (which actually loads clover then!) But keep in mind that for this to happen on a single partition, you need a relatively complex partition setup, in particular if you also want to retain both OS X and Win recovery partitions, which is possible. Also the overall installation is not too easy, at least in my case I had to resolve to a manual Win8 installation, using the dism tool.

So, if you are new to clover I'd recommend two different drives, should be much more easier.

Quick question, I'm trying to patch an info.plist file inside a kext using Clover's on the fly patching (Infoplist patch). This is what I need to patch:

<string>Watermarks</string>
<integer>1</integer>

I need to change the value of 1 to 0. I cannot replace it directly due to other strings having the same number. How is this formatted in Clover config.plist?

This is how Clover Configurator does it

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>PlistPatch</string>
<key>Find</key>
<string><key>Watermarks</key><integer>1</integer></string>
<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
<true/>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<string><key>Watermarks</key><integer>0</integer></string>
</dict>

But in debug, it says that patching infoplist failed. What's the problem?

@ballistic - ok well then I suspect something is not configured properly (2 different revs perhaps?). IMO it seems easier (i.e. not having to sort out dependency and pre-requisites for network and audio kexts) to install all custom Kexts to the /S/L/E. Then have these same essential kexts (exact same copy from /S/L/E) on /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other readily available for situations where is not practical to install in /S/L/E such as the OSX Installers.  

my gigabyte mobo is not very different than yours, but  basically I use 3 custom kexts - FakeSMC, RealTek Network, and Audio for ALC889.  (My AppleHDA-ALC889.kext must be installed in /S/L/E)

here is my config.plist for reference:

attachicon.gifconfig.plist.zip

my system log shows this for FakeSMC

$ grep -i smc /var/log/system.log

Dec 31 13:14:14 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMCKeyStore: started

Dec 31 13:14:14 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC v6.14.1364 Copyright 2014 netkas, slice, usr-sse2, kozlek, navi, THe KiNG, RehabMan. All rights reserved.

Dec 31 13:14:14 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: 13 preconfigured keys added

Dec 31 13:14:14 localhost kernel[0]: FakeSMC: 5 keys exported by Clover EFI

Dec 31 13:14:14 localhost kernel[0]: SMC: successfully initialized

my clover boot log shows this for kexts  - so it prepares them but will not actually inject them. 

$ bdmesg |grep -i kext

3:550  0:000  KextsToPatch: 2 requested

3:550  0:000  KextToPatch 0: AppleHDA (change 10ec0885 for ALC889 (10ec0889)) Kext bin patch, data len: 4

3:550  0:000  KextToPatch 1: AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB (Reduce buffers) Kext bin patch, data len: 60

4:644  0:000  Kernel and Kext Patches:

4:644  0:000  0 Kexts to load

4:644  0:000  2 Kexts to patch

4:644  0:000    KextPatch[0]: 4 bytes, AppleHDA

4:644  0:000    KextPatch[1]: 60 bytes, AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB

4:783  0:000  FSInjection: using kexts path: 'EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other'

4:794  0:000  Preparing kexts injection for arch=x86_64 from EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other

4:809  0:001    Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\FakeSMC.kext

4:822  0:012      Extra PlugIn kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\FakeSMC.kext\Contents\PlugIns\ACPISensors.kext

4:827  0:005      Extra PlugIn kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\FakeSMC.kext\Contents\PlugIns\CPUSensors.kext

4:830  0:002      Extra PlugIn kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\FakeSMC.kext\Contents\PlugIns\LPCSensors.kext

4:856  0:025    Extra kext: EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\RealtekR1000SL.kext

After some experimentation it seems the slide boot argument is what was in your config that fixed things for me. Thanks.

Hey, folks!

I really could use some help from you. I just installed OS X 10.10 on a brand new GA-B75M-D3H/I7-3770 hackintosh, using the Vanilla guide (Chameleon based) and all went fine. But when I tried to boot from the internal HDD (2TB, 4K blocks), I got that annoyed but quite expected "Boot0: Error". Then I started the system using the installer, and simply installed Clover (version 3113, from Sourceforge's) on the HDD and did a reboot. No joy either: this time, a Boot0f error. So I resorted to the good old "dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/diskXsY" method and solved it from Chameleon side.

However, iMessage issues can only be solved from Clover. Then, I installed Clover again, and this time it greeted me with its boot menu screen, only for me to discover I could boot from any of my HDDs, except the one where Yosemite is installed, which simply didn't show up (funny enough, its recovery disk appears just fine in the menu)! I reinstalled Clover again quite a few times with many setup combinations to no avail, which makes me wonder if whatever 4K block solution that worked for Chameleon just masked the issue with Clover, so now I get to the boot menu but the disk where Clover is installed won't show up. I'm using a very clean config.plist, so I'm sure the problem doesn't lie there. 

Help?

P.S.: Clover legacy mode, only for the record. I really want it to boot in legacy mode. Don't want to mess with UEFI for the moment, since my other hack gave me lots of headaches with UEFI boot, and is quite stable with legacy Clover.