Kext Wizard - Easy to use Kext Installer and more

janek202

269 posts in this topic

it boots faster then with mkext and is supported in chameleon RC5 8xx (UseKernelCache=Yes)

terminal commands are:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -system-caches
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

New test build.

[old link, see latests posts]

Added / changed:

Support for prelinking kernel.

I have made my own kextload function, creating kexts lists is now much faster.

(Currently, I have no idea how to speed it up more).

Please test and report me any bugs and ideas.

New test build.

Added / changed:

Support for prelinking kernel

(Currently I have no idea to speed it up more).

It worked great.

I don't have a recent version of Chameleon so I couldn't test 'prelinking kernel' feature.

so, i just got 10.6.7 up an running in VirtualBox. Can I just run this tool on there now

Yes.

it will autodetect the remaining drivers I need and get them?

No.

This utility doesn't download any kexts. It helps to install downloaded kexts from different sites etc.

Detecting kexts suitable for hardware would be too hard and time-consuming.

Detecting kexts suitable for hardware would be too hard and time-consuming.

I thought every piece of hardware had a unique identifier. Someone needs to setup a kext archive site that your program can just compare to the local computer and get whatever is needed (like Microsoft Update I guess is what I am used to)

OK, so where do I get kexts? The only thing that doesn't work on my laptop right now is the webcam. Everything else is fine.

Edit: Found somethin called CamTwist for my webcam, gonna try it out. Still would like to know where the centralized library of kexts are.

I thought every piece of hardware had a unique identifier. Someone needs to setup a kext archive site that your program can just compare to the local computer and get whatever is needed (like Microsoft Update I guess is what I am used to)

OK, so where do I get kexts? The only thing that doesn't work on my laptop right now is the webcam. Everything else is fine.

Edit: Found somethin called CamTwist for my webcam, gonna try it out. Still would like to know where the centralized library of kexts are.

If this were a legitimate enterprise, perhaps there could have been a "Micrososft Update" functionaliy for a hackintosh. Generally speaking you must do you own research, read a lot of threads and collect your own appropriate systematic files to create, run and maintain your hacked PC. Nothing is automated or straight forward in the world of the hackintosh. Here is a place for you to start: http://www.kexts.com/

New test build.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7085278/Kext_Wizard/Kext_Wizard.zip

Added / changed:

Support for prelinking kernel.

(Currently, I have no idea how to speed it up more).

When I attempt to repair permissions on an external Lion installation, the app crashes.

Kext Wizard[1490]	Error	-[NSCFArray stringByStandardizingPath]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x100151060

Kext_Wizard_2011_05_17_025714_Darwins_MacBook_Pro.crash.zip

People stay on bottom. The modern hackintoshs use nearly only apple kext. Bootloader and DSDT are caring for the most driver initialization. No one wants to maintain that. When u look at the kext download sites there are 10 kext which are nearly the same but only one of them work. A hackintosh is good when u know what you've done then you're

also prepared to fix things that are not working after an update.

When I attempt to repair permissions on an external Lion installation, the app crashes.

Fixed. Thank you.

New test build.

Fixed:

Crash on other disks than /.

Showing architectures for some kexts.

Please test and report me any bugs.

Thank YOU. The new build works as intended but where is the kernelcache function?

It's executed automatically, when "Rebuild cache" option is selected, or kexts are installed.

Currently it works only for /, if other disks are selected it won't be executed.

I don't know how to run:

sudo kextcache -system-caches
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

for other disks than /.

Edit:

New test build.

Added:

New Info.plist option. It allows you to disable Kernel Prelinking.

<key>Prelink Kernel</key>
<false/>

Edit2:

New Preferences menu options. You can change settings without editing info.plist. Requires application in read-write directory to work.

Please test and report me any bugs or suggestions.

Edit3:

Fixed menu options' actions for English translation.

Edit4:

Version 3.5 released. Check out the first post.

Edit2:

New Preferences menu options. You can change settings without editing info.plist.

Please test and report me any bugs or suggestions. Requires application in read-write directory to work.

Hi Janeck,

Thanks for that. It looks great.

Look forward to Jbradock Kext List button in next release.

Best regards :)

Hi Janeck,

Thanks for that. It looks great.

Look forward to Jbradock Kext List button in next release.

Best regards :P

If I understood you correctly, that option has already been implemented. In the Kext Wizard.app status menu, go to File menu then: "Save list of loaded kexts into txt file".

I greatly appreciate your efforts, Janek!

For the export icon, bottom left corner, to the left of the arrow icon? I think a small icon that has the same size with the arrow would do the job.

@DarwinX

Thanks for your input but I was referring to the above icon.

Cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...
Another nice app from you... thank you... :thumbsup_anim:

Added german translations

Thank you, but unfortunately, this app doesn't have translation functions, that can read GUI titiles from Localizable strings, like Chameleon Wizard. Translation requires also MainMenu.xib modification.

I want to add two more features (show and hide Extra directory), and then I'll post all files required for translation.

Edit: New version 3.6 released.

Added Show/Hide Extra directory.

Small code fixes.

All English files required for translation: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7085278/Kext_Wizard/en.lproj.zip

Hi Janek... some considerations:

- when installing a kext to E/E, permissions are set for the Extra folder and not only to E/E; you should change that.

We only need to set permissions on E/E for mkext creation purposes; there's no other motive to set permissions on any

file/folder present on Extra, as the booter doesn't care about perms.

- on the same matter, why doesn't the above option create E/E.mkext?

Also, can you explain the logic and mechanics behind the "Extensions.mkext on desktop" option?.. i'm afraid to use it ;)

we need to specify a kext for installation to make it work, but were is the kext installed to?

The mkext, is it created from E/E or S/L/E?

Thanks...