Kext Installer wizard

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

janek202

janek202

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 310 posts

Patching of AppleKextExcludeList, Clover support, and more is coming soon with entirely new version of Kext Wizard.  :)

Dr. Hurt

Dr. Hurt

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Interests:Wandering around on the internet!! Politics, Sci/Tech, Medicine.

@janek,

As of Mavericks, Apple requests that developers no longer use the kextcache command.

The recommended procedure is repair permissions and touch. Thats all.

jaxparo

jaxparo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Why are permissions for installed kexts set to allow execution? This seems like the introduction of a huge security hole. For example, I just installed System.kext, and then ran Disk Utility immediately afterwards. Kext Wizard says it repairs permissions during installation, but every file and folder within the installed kext is set to allow execution:

Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/AppleNMI.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/AppleNMI.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/ApplePlatformFamily.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/ApplePlatformFamily.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IONVRAMFamily.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IONVRAMFamily.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOSystemManagement.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOSystemManagement.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/MACFramework.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/MACFramework.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Private.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Private.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Info.plist”

genzai

genzai

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

hi Janek,

Thanks for all the hard work. Are you still developing a new kextwizard? I would like to add request for option to install kexts to /L/E/ instead of S/L/E as 10.9 onwards prefers 3rd party signed kext be placed here.

Thanks

g\

janek202

janek202

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 310 posts

I am, but most likely It won't be ready before release of 10.10.

BTW. Patching of AppleKextExcludeList won't be possible. Editing Info.plist to add new entries will result in signing errors:

$codesign -v AppleKextExcludeList.kext 

AppleKextExcludeList.kext: invalid Info.plist (plist or signature have been modified)

peterwan

peterwan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

i really like this tool with this tool only my network and sound adapters gets installed and loaded on my system works perfect thanks a lot for this

Promatics

Promatics

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Great app, nice work. Thanks for sharing information.

Phr4c7ur3

Phr4c7ur3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Physics, SciFi, tech and preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse!

I have a strange issue with KextWizard:

All of the following occurred on a clean install of Mavericks 10.9.4 (AppStore version) and again after a repeated clean install.

The first time I ran KextWizard (unfortunately I did not get a screen grab), under the "Target Disk" dropdown menu I had the option to select disks labelled "Mavericks" and "Windows7" (my labels).  I ran the wizard having selected the Mavericks disk but unfortunately I do not know whether this worked as I believe there was an issue with the Kext I was working on.

When I rebooted and came back to KextWizard I found that the disks listed under "Target Disk" had changed to "Item 2" & "Item 3" as shown in the image below:

Attached File  20140805_005642.jpg   240.46KB   10 downloads

I tried a few reboots and downloading the application again but I was not offered the option/label "Mavericks" again.

I persevered and attempted to select "item 2" in case the issue was only the label and not the actual disk selection but all options were greyed out, as shown in the picture below:

Attached File  20140805_020133.jpg   206.11KB   8 downloads

The same thing happened when I selected "item 3", all options greyed out, as shown below:

Attached File  20140805_020202.jpg   225.57KB   7 downloads

Next I tried not selecting either "Target Disk" and instead leaving the dropdown selection on "choose".  This allowed me to select the options under Extra and S/L/E.

When I selected options under Extra and clicked Execute I was prompted to enter my username and password, as shown in the picture below:

Attached File  20140805_015714.jpg   210.99KB   6 downloads

After this had processed I got the following error message:

Attached File  20140805_015731.jpg   223.46KB   6 downloads

I followed the same procedure, leaving the "Target Disk" selection as "Choose" but this time selected options under S/L/E. I was again prompted for my username and password, as shown below:

Attached File  20140805_015851.jpg   160.96KB   7 downloads

this time, I received as acknowledgement that the tasks were finished, as below.

Attached File  20140805_015904.jpg   174.55KB   8 downloads

Other than the, rather unreliable, "Done" screen I have no way of determining whether or not KextWizard is seeing my Mavericks partitions, let alone whether it is making any changes.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Is this a problem others have encountered?

ar31an

ar31an

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

All of the following occurred on a clean install of Mavericks 10.9.4 (AppStore version) and again after a repeated clean install.

The first time I ran KextWizard (unfortunately I did not get a screen grab), under the "Target Disk" dropdown menu I had the option to select disks labelled "Mavericks" and "Windows7" (my labels).  I ran the wizard having selected the Mavericks disk but unfortunately I do not know whether this worked as I believe there was an issue with the Kext I was working on.

When I rebooted and came back to KextWizard I found that the disks listed under "Target Disk" had changed to "Item 2" & "Item 3" as shown in the image below:

attachicon.gif20140805_005642.jpg

I tried a few reboots and downloading the application again but I was not offered the option/label "Mavericks" again.

I persevered and attempted to select "item 2" in case the issue was only the label and not the actual disk selection but all options were greyed out, as shown in the picture below:

attachicon.gif20140805_020133.jpg

The same thing happened when I selected "item 3", all options greyed out, as shown below:

attachicon.gif20140805_020202.jpg

Next I tried not selecting either "Target Disk" and instead leaving the dropdown selection on "choose".  This allowed me to select the options under Extra and S/L/E.

When I selected options under Extra and clicked Execute I was prompted to enter my username and password, as shown in the picture below:

attachicon.gif20140805_015714.jpg

attachicon.gif20140805_015731.jpg

I followed the same procedure, leaving the "Target Disk" selection as "Choose" but this time selected options under S/L/E. I was again prompted for my username and password, as shown below:

attachicon.gif20140805_015851.jpg

this time, I received as acknowledgement that the tasks were finished, as below.

attachicon.gif20140805_015904.jpg

Other than the, rather unreliable, "Done" screen I have no way of determining whether or not KextWizard is seeing my Mavericks partitions, let alone whether it is making any changes.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Is this a problem others have encountered?

Same issue here

janek202

janek202

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 310 posts

I heard about this bug, but I don't know what is causing this.

What items do you have in /Volumes directory?

Can you send me an output of ls /Volumes terminal command?

I will try to fix it when I have some time.

Phr4c7ur3

Phr4c7ur3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Physics, SciFi, tech and preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse!
Hi, Janek202.

I'll do that this evening. Thanks.

CurlyBird

CurlyBird

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

I have KW 3.7.10 that came with Niresh distro. However, trying to update with "Check for updates.." always fails with "Update Error!". Any ideas?
PS. I'm on 10.9.4.

DarwinX

DarwinX

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

I have KW 3.7.10 that came with Niresh distro. However, trying to update with "Check for updates.." always fails with "Update Error!". Any ideas?
PS. I'm on 10.9.4.

Your version of the Kext Wizard.app is outdated. The latest updatable app version 3.7.11 is available at the head of this forum thread.

Here is the direct download link: http://wizards.osxla...t/download.html

Also, do yourself a favor and stop using distros as they serve no purpose.

Pete Labston

Pete Labston

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

KW 3.7.11

"save list of loaded kexts into txt file" doesn't save a file! 

The "Save As" box opens, I put in a name, choose a location, click "Save" and no file is found. 

crushers

crushers

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Interests:Hackintosh,Windows,Linux and any more OS

Where a new version for Yosemite?And fix AppleKextExcludeList.kext

Problem in GenericUSBXHCI!!!!!

Thanks in advanced.

JorgeMax

JorgeMax

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Where a new version for Yosemite?And fix AppleKextExcludeList.kext

Problem in GenericUSBXHCI!!!!!

Thanks in advanced.

Look at this site:   http://pjalm.com/for...x.php?topic=7.0  ,DSDT already with the patch for USB 3.0 ports. You will not need this "generic" kext in order to enable the doors. 

I applied the patch from this site in my DSDT, and ready never used the kext "GenericUSBXHCI". 

I tested both the Mavericks as in Yosemite, and works without problems.

iaihc

iaihc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks, works great in SL.

Hacker Pro

Hacker Pro

InsanelMac Resident; I try to help if i can.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Making and using vm's, trying the latest and oldest OS's and,
    Gaming.

Thanks this is awesome! :thumbsup_anim:

XLR

XLR

2cores1cpu.mov

• Donators
  • 912 posts

Look at this site:   http://pjalm.com/for...x.php?topic=7.0  ,DSDT already with the patch for USB 3.0 ports. You will not need this "generic" kext in order to enable the doors. 

I applied the patch from this site in my DSDT, and ready never used the kext "GenericUSBXHCI". 

I tested both the Mavericks as in Yosemite, and works without problems.

Which patch is it exactly?

Fix EHC1 or Fix EHC2 or Fix XHC1 or something else?

Mela quadrata

Mela quadrata

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

attachicon.gif20140805_005642.jpg

attachicon.gif20140805_020133.jpg

attachicon.gif20140805_020202.jpg

attachicon.gif20140805_015714.jpg

attachicon.gif20140805_015731.jpg

attachicon.gif20140805_015851.jpg

attachicon.gif20140805_015904.jpg

It's the same for me...  Impossible to use kext wizard... I don't know why---

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy