Leopard Installation Method

mingistech

258 posts in this topic

to remove xcode from the dvd:

1. Open Disk Utility

2. Hit File, then choose to open the leopard image

3. the leopard image should be attatched. go in to the files and delete xcode.

i dont know if the changes will save into the dmg, but im pretty sure this will work.

to remove xcode from the dvd:

1. Open Disk Utility

2. Hit File, then choose to open the leopard image

3. the leopard image should be attatched. go in to the files and delete xcode.

i dont know if the changes will save into the dmg, but im pretty sure this will work.

hm, no, it doesn't work fpr me. the dmg / mounted dmg is read-only file-system.

:(

OK, I have tried 3 times now to do this. I have a G4 iMac, and a 20GB iPod with Firewire connections. I erased the iPod with disc utility, use carbon copy cloner to copy the disc image onto the iPod, went to system preferences and choose the iPod to start off of, and all I get is the Apple Logo. If I restart the computer holding down the option key, I get the do not enter sign (zero with a line through it) any help is appreciated!

thanks

Here is my method of install, it works good on my iBook G4 but since I was semi-clueless as I did it, you could end up wasting some disk space.

What you will need is 1.) the leopard disk image 2.) your tiger install disks .3) time.

First you need to partition your startup disk, since you cant do this you need to put in your install disk and go to utilities > disk utility. i partitioned my disk off in 2 which was a mistake, so i advise 3 if you want to boot into tiger. make 1 that is 5.05 GB, just enough to fit the dmg contents (i named it install), then make your tiger and leopard partitions whatever size you want with the space you have left.

Now you need to install Tiger, so install it on yout Tiger partition. then we need to mount the disk image and go to disk utility. select the install partition and go to restore. restore the leopard disk image on to the install partition. when it is done, boot into the install partition and install it on your leopard partition. it worked fine for me, everything is great. if you can find out how to erase the contents of the install partition you could use it for timemachine.

-mvv

well i have a powerbook g4, and i used my usb enclosure for my hard drive, except i hooked up my dual layer burner and burned the image, worked fine...now im going to carbon copy my existing (internal) mac hard drive over to my (now i took the burner off and hooked up a 300 gig drive) usb drive...then im going to try installing it onto the internal hard drive...keep ya all updated

i still havent figured out how to remove xcode so i can burn to a SL DVD. even though ive read about several people who managed to remove xcode.

so if someone could explain that in simple terms that would've been greatly appreciated.

it looks as if it works just usind disk utility and choosing convert, and converting the image to a read / write image, and then just remove xcode..

that won't do because the size is still the same!

How To:

get CarbonCopyCloner (CCC)

1.) create a new dmg-Image with Disk Utility (DVD-size, writable)

2.) Open the Leopard-Dmg with CCC and choose the new empty image created with Disk Utility as Aim.

3.) remove XCode-Folder

4.) click clone.

=> you'll get a new DVD-sized image.

don't forget to enable "bootable" in CCC-Prefs.

enjoy :D

I have a few questions:

1) I'm using Transmission, and my torrent is downloading to a folder on my desktop. How do I get it to become a .dmg?

2) Could somebody make a guide on how to install the preview with an obviously single-layer drive 1.83Ghz MBP?

3) If I use Boot Camp to partition, can I keep my 10.4 and XP partitions intact while creating a third partition for 10.5?

4) If I use Boot Camp to partition, how should I go about formatting the partition to HFS+? Should I use my Tiger reinstall disk that came with the MBP?

Thanks for all your help, and I'm sorry if these questions have already been answered, but I didn't particularly find them in this thread...

Thanks again!

For those of you that were asking about a method of installing Leopard without burning it to a DL DVD, here is how I did it.

1) Startup Carbon Copy Cloner (google it)

2) Mount the Leopard disk image (dmg)

3) In CCC, select source as "Leopard mounted image" and destination as any partition on your Hardrive or External Drive.

4) In CCC prefs, select make Bootable and DO NOT select Erase Volume. (if your destination volume is empty, who cares).

5) Press Clone.

6) When finished, go in Start Up Disk and select that install you just did and RESTART.

7) Leopard install appears and lets you install it where ever you want.

Just select your destination and cutomize it if you want .

8) You know the rest...enjoy and don't waste a DL DVD for nothing.

PS. This is how I did it on my PPC G5 iMAC.

Enjoy! :idea:

this is weird, i made a partition with boot camp, formatted it to HFS Journaled with my OSX discs ( rebooted)

and then followed your CCC guide, which seemed to work until i got to the part where i select which drive / partition i want to install leopard on... it only showed my tiger partition, and the ccc clone image was on leopard which was the only partition i could select ( obviously, the partition i made for testing 10.5 )

so now im not sure what to do.. :)

i couldnt burn the image to a DVD cause i only had one dvd left and i got a weird error saying it could not calibrate the laser to burn this disc.. ah well ill just buy some dvds tomorrow and burn it.

EDIT

Hey Wait! i think i did it ! i remembered there was a way to install without rebooting, just start OSInstall.mkpg from the dvd. now im installing it on the right partition =D

it looks as if it works just usind disk utility and choosing convert, and converting the image to a read / write image, and then just remove xcode..

Ok, here's how to attach a dmg file as readwrite. Type this in terminal as a super user.

hdiutil attach -readwrite image.dmg

i'm pretty sure it will work though I don't have the Leopard preview yet. Once you have it mounted, you can change it. Then when you unmount it, it should be updated.

Good luck,

Paul

I got the CD ready and everything, and it's all good. So, I plugged in an extra old laptop drive of mine, and it says it can use it to boot up. I was wondering if anybody knew how to fix this, thanks

edit*- looked at the info about it, and at Bootable it says "Yes", so I don't understand

Meh! How do I do this?

Okay here's what I've tried so far:

1. Mounting the .dmg file, but it just booted to Tiger on the restart.

2. Restoring a partition of a Firewire HD with the dmg so that it has the installation disk, but it doesn't let you open the install file.

How did you guys who are on Leopard open the Install app?