DSDT - Vanilla Speedstep - Generic Scope (_PR)

• Please log in to reply
1945 replies to this topic

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 674 posts

What I said was pretty clear as in I use ChameleonSM v1.1.12 on Leopard, and that it won't set/select the correct CPU speed. At least not without that snippet in com.apple.Boot.plist. And it also won'\t work with Snow Leopard.

I still don't get why you use such old Chameleon on leopard, why not use latest RC3?
For me freq is reported OK w/o Smbios.plist, that Chameleon version is not designed for snow leopard...

If that was true, then why won't C-States work on my Mac without them in the ACPI table?

That assume you have them in ACPI, if not or add them in BIOS or use _CST override.

Interesting. I didn't knew that. Can you please elaborate how this works? Thanks!

How to override SMC_Platform_Plugin.kext I described HERE
If you look on original you will find on some models "<key>num-states</key>":
<key>MacBookPro4,1</key><array><dict><key>num-states</key><integer>9</integer><key>program</key><string>SP4</string></dict></array>

I have to change that to:
<key>MacBookPro4,1</key>
<string>SP4</string>

so I can use 10 P-States or less then 9, you can play also with "program" stuff...

I wonder if this method will list 0x4720 as maximum for my CPU because 0x8720 did end in a forced reboot (after the KP).

You have one way to find out, try...

Good luck!

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Back to this topic, a very simple way to dump all table from windows I described HERE
Presence of all table in OS X ioreg is not required, if they are set by default OK(most are wrong) and enabled in BIOS it will work w/o touching them.
Also be aware that smc_platform_plugin has some limitations on P-States nr., if they are less or more then original model(used) it will print an error(fixable with dummy smc_platform.kext)

Also for those who can't figure out how to get the value for .5 multi they can use voodoopower.kext and dump the log as described HERE

How to override SMC_Platform_Plugin.kext I described HERE

Some really interesting stuff!
Many thanks for this THe KiNG!

D.

Superhai

Superhai

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired Developers
  • 1,425 posts

I wonder if this method will list 0x4720 as maximum for my CPU because 0x8720 did end in a forced reboot (after the KP). See also Superhai's post #156

0x8720 would be odd (and very high voltage for such a low frequency). You can have 0x88 (800MHz on 200MHz FSB) or 0x86 (600MHz on 200MHz FSB) if your CPU support SLFM.
0x47 is multiplier 7.5.

barnum

barnum

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

/EDIT

I've patched the LPC device ID in my DSDT using zhell's method. Vanilla AppleLPC loads.

Hi,
can you give me the method to patch the LPC device ID in DSDT ?

Thanks,
barnum

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Hi,
can you give me the method to patch the LPC device ID in DSDT ?

Thanks,
barnum

see zhell's thread http://www.insanelym...howtopic=168014

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

0x8720 would be odd (and very high voltage for such a low frequency). You can have 0x88 (800MHz on 200MHz FSB) or 0x86 (600MHz on 200MHz FSB) if your CPU support SLFM.
0x47 is multiplier 7.5.

Just what I thought. Thanks.

Now a very important note: I somehow smoked a perfectly good functioning Intel Q9300 running @2.5Ghz so everyone here is warned!!!

n.b. I have a picture of the BIOS startup screen showing only two cores (I had to boot into Leopard on the same hack first, simply because of the stutter (that's how bad it is). Anyway, enjoy the attached picture while I take a shower and rethink what I did.

I was happy to have two of them – thanks to the supplier for making the error – including another P5K PRO motherboard, but I will not continue experimenting. And now I have to fix this craptastic stutter, but I have no idea why, especially since I am using my Leopard DSDT?!? Any pointers as to where I should be looking first?

Attached Files

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Just what I thought. Thanks.

Now a very important note: I somehow smoked a perfectly good functioning Intel Q9300 running @2.5Ghz so everyone here is warned!!!

ouch! do you have any idea what you did wrong? overvolted with the aformention VID ? or the corrupt BIOS you flashed ?

D

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

ouch! do you have any idea what you did wrong? overvolted with the aformention VID ? or the corrupt BIOS you flashed ?

D

Not really. And that BIOS issue I was having was really my own fault: I used the DVD that came with the motherboard to flash the original BIOS. Which of course was way too old and thus did not support my CPU and thus I had to install two other CPU's to get it going again. That's how old it was.

Anyway I was using the latest BIOS (1303) and everything was working just fine. And for some time already. Until I got this KP and had to do a reboot. Which of course failed for only 2 cores. At first I didn't even noticed that it said something about the CPU, but then I did another reboot and noticed the 2 in my boot screen. I checked the BIOS settings and "Max CPUID Value Limit" was disabled so that was not it.

My P-State changes are very limited/relaxed so that can't be it (planning to attach them later). I did try The Kings 0x8720 multiplier and got a KP, but that was it. At least that's what I thought. I am however not blaming him nor anyone else but myself for getting into this trouble.

Now back to Snow Leopard and fixing the stutter.

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 674 posts

...I did try The Kings 0x8720 multiplier and got a KP, but that was it. At least that's what I thought. I am however not blaming him nor anyone else but myself for getting into this trouble.

There is no 0x8720 in what I posted, and the example I posted was from my mobile T8300 that is far from your cpu...
And I advised to use voodoopower.kext debug to get your own p-states/multi, not mine.
Sorry to hear that you get in trouble... :(

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

There is no 0x8720 in what I posted, and the example I posted was from my mobile T8300 that is far from your cpu...
And I advised to use voodoopower.kext debug to get your own p-states/multi, not mine.
Sorry to hear that you get in trouble... :)

I know. No worries. And I changed my post (note the bold part) to make clear what I was doing. And it isn't even clear that this caused this specific hardware failure.

Guys, I need to reapply all updates to this Snow Leopard installation, but the stress is killing me... so I can't even remember how to do this. What was it again that I have to remove to trigger software update again? HELP!

Edit: I restored a backup with Time Machine but still have that stutter problem. Time for a fresh installation, and it appears to be working like before.

yeehaa

yeehaa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

I know. No worries. And I changed my post (note the bold part) to make clear what I was doing. And it isn't even clear that this caused this specific hardware failure.

Guys, I need to reapply all updates to this Snow Leopard installation, but the stress is killing me... so I can't even remember how to do this. What was it again that I have to remove to trigger software update again? HELP!

Edit: I restored a backup with Time Machine but still have that stutter problem.

Thank you!

you are not talking about the Cstate stutter, are you?
i also had a KP yesterday and had to recover the same way from TM. some edit to the DSDT or geekbench or some other {censored}. couldn't figure out what! snow leopard indeed is a beast! (and i forget to restart and check after every single modification i make)
and for my setup i figured out that MacPro3,1 was the safest configuration to use. had to sit and stare at that SMC_platform plist for quite a long time. now the random KPs have stopped (i hope)

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

you are not talking about the Cstate stutter, are you?

Nope. I wiped my Snow Leopard HD and did a fresh install – including the usual updates – and everything appears to be working again.

i also had a KP yesterday and had to recover the same way from TM. some edit to the DSDT or geekbench or some other {censored}. couldn't figure out what! snow leopard indeed is a beast! (and i forget to restart and check after every single modification i make)
and for my setup i figured out that MacPro3,1 was the safest configuration to use. had to sit and stare at that SMC_platform plist for quite a long time. now the random KPs have stopped (i hope)

My hack was running without KP's until yesterday. I also had it set to MacPro3,1 but I won't change anything until after Time Machine has finished.

Eliade

Eliade

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
cpui now work without disabler
all I needed to do was to have the mkext alone, I don't know why I kept Extensions along with it for a while, I guess I didn't see any problem (but cpui KP during boot was one of the problem), until I decided to clean the setup a little.
and I finally get nice values in my pstate screen, before th voltage was at max for all steps
Attached File  Screen_shot_2009_09_22_at_6.37.16_PM.png   39.02KB   100 downloads

My final setup:
voodoopowermini + disabler is perfect for me
(I don't know if the ssdt in dsdt still do anything, but there still there)
I get full speedstep (speed and voltage are lowered) and low temperature
(without disabler temperature would be in the upper 40s)
Attached File  Screen_shot_2009_09_22_at_9.53.35_PM.png   40.16KB   86 downloads

keeza

keeza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Beerkex'd,

Does LSPCI happen to be a Linux utility?
I cant seem to locate it for OSX.

Care to provide a link?

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Beerkex'd,

Does LSPCI happen to be a Linux utility?
I cant seem to locate it for OSX.

Care to provide a link?

Not the beer person ;) but that should be OSX86 Tools by p c w i z c o m p u t e r . c o m That to me would have been a helpful link for keeza, but I can't link to it and thus had to mangle it a little.

I checked the forum rules and all I can find is this: "The advertising, comparison, or off-topic discussion of sites similar to InsanelyMac will not be allowed. The staff will decide what is and is not "advertising" based on the content and spirit of the post. Helpful links are encouraged!".

I'm confused!

Beerkex'd

Beerkex'd

Content Provider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
Beer person, lol
(I don't know what I was thinking when I chose that name).

Yeah there are various totally legit and useful sites that the admins don't like you linking to for whatever reason. i h a c k i n t o s h . c o m and the Chameleon website are two others.

lspci for OSX is here:
http://www.x86dev.org/forum/

keeza

keeza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Beer and this forum, what more does a man need!Posted Image

Thanks for that, got it figured out now. I suspected that was the case but didn't know for sure.

Thought I would give my feedback on my setup so far for anyone contemplating going the vanilla speedstep route.

Disclaimer: This is based on my findings using my setup (and my limited knowledge) so each individuals experience may be different.

Prior to Speedstepping and no disabler kext my temps were up around 55-61 degrees (CPUi) at idle which is way to high IMO. My core voltage for Q9550 I set in BIOS to 1.3v (default). With disabler kext installed temps were around mid 30's which I believe should be my target temps at idle.

Adding PStates to my DSDT brought my temps down about 5 degrees (about 55 degrees) but still way to hot at idle. But I was able to get speedstepping working (with a lot of help).

Now I would like to get CStates running to see if it has an impact on my temps. I have a compiled dsdt with CStates (no errors this time kdawg Posted Image) Im presently looking into what changes I need to make to my dsdt to get AppleLPC loaded and running, which I understand needs to do so in order for CStates to work. I've attached my dsdt and the LSPCI output for guidance as to where to look and change in my dsdt. Any tips on where I should look and change would be appreciated. I will post feedback.

Some issues so far:
1)
I have had one lockup so far. Prior to locking up the mouse would start to stutter slightly, then the screen would garbled and black out. I suspect this has to do with my temps. I also run a stock CPU fan so I may need to look at another CPU cooler.
2)
I have 6 PStates. Under the "Status" tab of CPUi I am able to see all my voltages step, but my 6.5 multiplier doesn't show whereas all the other multiplier values step to there specified voltage. The voltage value for my 6.5 multiplier still steps but under the "6" multiplier. Make sense?
3)
Temps are too high. I have tried reducing the core voltage down to 1.25v and changing my PState values accordingly. This has brought the temps down a little but has reduced my Geekbench score dramatically. (7200 prior to speedstepping to 5300 with speedstepping at 1.25v).
4)
With my core voltage reduced to 1.25v I still get some slight mouse stutter. I've ran a dvd and that seems to be fine, temps hovering around 48 degrees.

My conclusion:
Speedstepping on my system at this point is working. Temps are too high and I have taken a performance hit. I get some slight mouse stuttering after about 15 minutes after booting and have had one lockup. I want to get CStates enabled to see the effect that has.

So I have currently loaded a dsdt with PStates and without CStates, installed VoodooPower mini along with disabler and my temps are howering around 35 degrees at a core voltage of 1.3v. My Geekbench is 6115. (still down but respectable). I wonder if I removed PStates what my Geekbench would be? I'll try it later. System seems very stable.

Maybe speedstepping is not worth the hassle with the increased temps and performance hit?

I still would like to get it running though as I think that eventually vanilla speedstepping will be a viable alternative to kexts and disabler.

i've attached my LSPCI output and my P and C State dsdt, feel free to take a look. Remember though that CStates on my system is not working yet and I am currently using a dsdt with only PStates.

Hope this may help anyone or confirm what others have found.

EDIT:
Removing PStates from my dsdt seemed to make no difference to my temps at idle - Bios Vcore set to auto.

Attached Files

Beerkex'd

Beerkex'd

Content Provider

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:3a16]

This is your LPC device.

As you can see, the address of your LPC device is 00:1F.0, so that's what you need to look for in the DSDT.

In other words, find something that is listed as Device (XXXX) at ADDR 0x001F0000.

You can use the patch from my DSDT (ID 3a16 to 3a18 - someone reading this with a different ID should use one closer to theirs, look up the supported IDs inside AppleLPC.kext), just change the "LPCB" in it to whatever is the name of your LPC Device. Or do the opposite and rename all instances to LPCB. it shouldn't make any difference. Visit zhell's thread first (see link above) if you are unsure which part of the DSDT code is "the patch" and which parts aren't, it's explained in more detail there.

However I think you may have a major problem on your hands because I've never seen everything listed as "Unknown Device" like that before. I think you need to fix that but I don't have the faintest idea how or where.

keeza

keeza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:3a16]

This is your LPC device.

As you can see, the address of your LPC device is 00:1F.0, so that's what you need to look for in the DSDT.

In other words, find something that is listed as Device (XXXX) at ADDR 0x001F0000.

You can use the patch from my DSDT (ID 3a16 to 3a18 - someone reading this with a different ID should use one closer to theirs, look up the supported IDs inside AppleLPC.kext), just change the "LPCB" in it to whatever is the name of your LPC Device. Or do the opposite and rename all instances to LPCB. it shouldn't make any difference. Visit zhell's thread first (see link above) if you are unsure which part of the DSDT code is "the patch" and which parts aren't, it's explained in more detail there.

However I think you may have a major problem on your hands because I've never seen everything listed as "Unknown Device" like that before. I think you need to fix that but I don't have the faintest idea how or where.

The process is not clear at this point.

Is this patch an "edit" or an "addition" to the dsdt?

I've attached three files, one is the LSPCI file (errors fixed)
The second is the portion of my dsdt which fits the address shown in red.
The third shows the contents of my APPLELPC file.

So if I understand right PX40 is my LPC device.

So I need to add this to my dsdt??:

Device (PX40)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x16, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}

)

Or do I REPLACE my existing PX40 entry in my dsdt with the above?
And what do I need to edit in APPLELPC??? Just change the 3a18 to 3a16??

Sorry about all the questions but this has got me baffled.
Dont want to stuff this up.

Attached Files

Beerkex'd

Beerkex'd

Content Provider

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
If Device (PX40) is at the address shown by LSPCI then that is your LPC device.

You have to decide whether you want to patch it in the DSDT or in AppleLPC.kext. .You can change the device ID in the kext or in the DSDT. If you do one, don't do the other.

The whole point of patching it in the DSDT is that it allows you to load the kext as it is. This is a Good Thing because, if/when Apple decides to update AppleLPC.kext your modification will still be in effect and the kext will load.

If you're unsure, read all this, more than once..
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=168014
And look at Device (LPCB) in my DSDT, posted earlier. If you pay attention you will see that the patch is an addition, not a change to existing data.

You need to insert the DTGP method somewhere (look at my DSDT and others), and then, in your PX40 device, the device ID patching code with the proper device ID inserted in it (compare the example code with the code in my DSDT) - it needs to be inserted right before the first LPC subdevice.

You've got it backwards in your posted code example - you have to put the device ID that you want your LPC device to have, not the device ID it already has...! :blink: Otherwise what's the point. Go back and read fassl's guide again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy