DSDT - Vanilla Speedstep - Generic Scope (_PR)

FKA

1,949 posts in this topic

Verdant, I have working c-states on my 790i board. Look at my dsdt DSDT.dsl.zip Temps are really low :( Thanks to Master Chief for his great help, this should be the thread of the year.

working_c_states.tiff

OT: Master Chief, I can sleep only with legacy usb disabled in bios; do you think I fix it through dsdt without disabling it in bios? I looked for a legacy usb entry in dsdt or similar but I couldn't find anything.

Verdant, I have working c-states on my 790i board. Look at my dsdt DSDT.dsl.zip Temps are really low :D Thanks to Master Chief for his great help, this should be the thread of the year.

working_c_states.tiff

OT: Master Chief, I can sleep only with legacy usb disabled in bios; do you think I fix it through dsdt without disabling it in bios? I looked for a legacy usb entry in dsdt or similar but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks, I will do......it will hopefully save me time......

I would not be surprised if our sleep problem also links back to power management via DSDT as well as active ports e.g. USB etc......I came to this topic primarily with my PC sleep issue in mind because I could see that Master Chief is achieving significant progress in the area of DSDT power management control.....with lower core temps as a bonus.....:(

Cheers

verdant

Hm, I think I got all the big quirks (cord stuck in CPU-fan being one of them, eh) sorted out now.

I'm running SL 10.6.1 with the following:

DSDT:

- gfx <- sidenote to MasterChief, I read somewhere that you don't recommend putting gfx in dsdt, why is this? :(

- lan

- sound

- usbehc (built-in high speed fix)

- pwrb

- RTC/DTGP

+ some minor tweaks

I also have vanilla speedstepping working without disabler.kext/nullcpupowerm.kext. Added _PSS tables with p-states, and cst-tables, which I extracted myself, not the macpro3,1 that are floating around. The temps are also fine now - idle at 32-35c, depending on temperature inside.

Kexts I've got loaded atm include:

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext (might fix it via DSDT soon though)

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooMonitor.kext

Now, sleep didn't work last I tried, should, but didn't so I'm still working on that I guess.

I've got a couple of questions though:

1. I can't find more speedsteps for my CPU (Q8400 2.66Ghz) than the three CPUi/VoodooMonitor gives me, reason tells me there should be more? Could someone please help me find them! :D

post-153037-1255610894_thumb.png

2. This is another error I get at boot:

kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I've also attached my DSDT.dsl if you're interested, here: DSDT_rc3.dsl.txt

can you post your new DSDT.dsl ?

It's been attached here since the post went up:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1297946

(/EDIT - now removed)

Currently loading from /EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext:

AD2000b.kext

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

CPUInjector.kext

EvOreboot.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

LegacyACPI_SMC_PP.kext

LegacyAGPM.kext

LegacyAppleYukon2.kext

/EDIT (updated 01/11) kextstat -k and lspci -nn output: kextstat_lspci.zip

More information here (the DSDT attached there is outdated) and some info on my other modifications to my DSDT:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1285983

/EDIT - Updated (15/10)

/EDIT - Updated (16/10)

/EDIT - Updated (18/10)

TPM code and OS checks removed, replaced FWH/FWHE with Master Chief's FWHD and did some work on USB. I haven't tested all ports.

/EDIT - Updated (20/10)

Added Embedded Controller - AppleACPIEC.kext now loads. More renaming, correction to MCEH device and some more work on USB.

post-188427-1256011292_thumb.png

/EDIT - Updated again (01/11)

Redundant SATA and P0P3 devices removed, added ports/bays to SATA, replaced LAN device with Master Chief version, removed SIOK, SIOS, SIOW and SIOH (no more PS2 mouse/keyboard support). New CPU scope and PNOT method from Master Chief.

***Do not use this DSDT as is if you don't have a P5Q-E and a Core 2 Duo E8500 CPU***

I've now ripped out basically everything Master Chief has said it's safe to delete, here and in the P5K Pro thread. Luckily, the P5Q-E and P5K Pro DSDT tables are almost identical, it's not difficult to follow his work and make many of the same improvements and modifications.

P5QE_2101_Beer.zip

Also included in the archive is an unmodified DSDT dump from the 2101 P5Q-E BIOS so you can compare and track what I'm doing.

If you spot something silly, please let me know.

Verdant, I have working c-states on my 790i board. Look at my dsdt DSDT.dsl.zip Temps are really low :D Thanks to Master Chief for his great help, this should be the thread of the year.

working_c_states.tiff

Thanks, and yes I fixed this so head over to the P5K PRO Snow Leopard thread and get cracking. Files in post #3. You won't be disappointed :)

...I would not be surprised if our sleep problem also links back to power management via DSDT as well as active ports e.g. USB etc......

Cheers

verdant

Spot on. One single error in DSDT can block sleep and wake up/shutdown after sleep.

OT: Shutdown works here without OpenHaltRestart.kext and I think that warm boot (restarts) can be achieved with a simple DSDT patch because all this kext does, really, is to store 0xfe in the keyboard controller (port 64).

my temps are not really low, specially when the system is idle, and this is strange

i have good cooler (thermalright 120) but the case is small, so i can expect like +5C because of this

system is oc from 2.4 => 3.0ghz but in bios vcore is set to 1.270

thing is that even if i remove the pstates from the dsdt.aml, cpui will see pstates, and system will do speedstep (even if i disable it from the bios)

but the voltage will not drop at 1.130V when system is idle (1.9ghz)

cpui is exactly like this one, so i dont post a new attachment: (someone's in this page)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=59295

how can that be?does it take automatic pstates from somewhere else? (any bios settings?)

if u have time plz check my dsdt, i would say that the cpu part is correct but maybe i miss something..

thankz

DSDT.dsl.zip

DSDT:

- gfx <- sidenote to MasterChief, I read somewhere that you don't recommend putting gfx in dsdt, why is this? :)

Not a PCIe card no. Fixing an on-board chip in the DSDT would be fine by me, because that is part of the main board. My NVIDIA GT9600 however is never going to make it into my DSDT. Simply because it does not belong there.

There's also another advantage which is that replacing the video card is much more fun – simply restore the original com.apple.Boot.plist and fix the graphics card.

2. This is another error I get at boot:

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Are you using my legacy kexts?

p.s. Looking at your DSDT... wow. You have a lot of work to do. Seriously.

I ripped out ASOC and SIOR last night, otherwise there's no difference from DSDT posted earlier:

Another TV show/movie down the drain? Fun hacking isn't it?

Are you using my legacy kexts?

I'm not using any legacy kexts no, only the ones I listed in my post. Should I be? ;)

p.s. Looking at your DSDT... wow. You have a lot of work to do. Seriously.

What are you referring to? I know I'm not really an expert in this matter, but I thought I had at least a bit of it figured out, hehe. I'd really appreciate it if you'd decided to help me out, or push me in the right direction.

Thanks for the answer(s) so far!

I'm not using any legacy kexts no, only the ones I listed in my post. Should I be? :)

What are you referring to? I know I'm not really an expert in this matter, but I thought I had at least a bit of it figured out, hehe. I'd really appreciate it if you'd decided to help me out, or push me in the right direction.

Thanks for the answer(s) so far!

You're welcome. And have a look at post #456 for the link to the P5K PRO Snow Leopard thread, where you'll find the latest DSDT patches (see post #3 there). And yes other people can use that info too!

p.s. I just got my hack to restart without OpenHaltRestart.kext; I found the keyboard command port on the Embedded Controller... stored 0xfe in it and boom. Hello warm boot! Now I have to find a way to get it going without pointing shutdown to it. I guess that this was just the easy part but fun it is :(

Another TV show/movie down the drain? Fun hacking isn't it?

I prefer spelunking in the DSDT tables to watching TV any day. There's a limit to how many times I can watch Van Helsing and re-runs of House.

I want to ask you about the Firmware hub device you've added. My DSDT already has this device (two of them) but I don't know if it's actually doing anything as far as OS X is concerned. Both appear in ioreg but with nothing showing but IODeviceMemory and Name (INT0800 and PNP0C02).

Here is the whole section, the two devices are not referenced anywhere else in the DSDT:

Device (FWH)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("INT0800"))
				Name (CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
						0x00000000,		 // Address Base
						0x00000000,		 // Address Length
						_Y0B)
					Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
						_Y0C)
				})
				CreateDWordField (CRS, \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.FWH._Y0B._BAS, BS00)
				CreateDWordField (CRS, \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.FWH._Y0B._LEN, BL00)
				CreateDWordField (CRS, \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.FWH._Y0C._BAS, BS10)
				CreateDWordField (CRS, \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.FWH._Y0C._LEN, BL10)
				Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (0xFF800000, Local0)
					FindSetRightBit (FHD0, Local1)
					Decrement (Local1)
					If (Local1)
					{
						Multiply (Local1, 0x00080000, Local1)
					}

Add (Local0, Local1, Local2)
					Store (Local2, BS00)
					Add (BS00, 0x00400000, BS10)
					Subtract (Zero, BS10, BL00)
					Store (BL00, BL10)
					Return (CRS)
				}
			}

Device (FWHE)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C02"))
				Name (_UID, 0x03)
				Name (CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
						_Y0D)
				})
				Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					CreateDWordField (CRS, \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.FWHE._Y0D._BAS, BS00)
					CreateDWordField (CRS, \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.FWHE._Y0D._LEN, BL00)
					If (LEqual (^^FWH.BS00, Zero))
					{
						^^FWH._CRS ()
					}

Add (^^FWH.BS00, ^^FWH.BL00, BS00)
					Subtract (^^FWH.BS10, BS00, BL00)
					Return (CRS)
				}
			}

OperationRegion (FHR0, PCI_Config, 0xD8, 0x02)
			Field (FHR0, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
			{
				FHD1,   4, 
						Offset (0x01), 
				FHD0,   8
			}

Can I do anything with this?

(sorry about the non-specific question :D )

You're welcome. And have a look at post #456 for the link to the P5K PRO Snow Leopard thread, where you'll find the latest DSDT patches (see post #3 there). And yes other people can use that info too!

p.s. I just got my hack to restart without OpenHaltRestart.kext; I found the keyboard command port on the Embedded Controller... stored 0xfe in it and boom. Hello warm boot! Now I have to find a way to get it going without pointing shutdown to it. I guess that this was just the easy part but fun it is :(

I read through the whole thread, and downloaded your DSDT v2.8. The whole layout of it is different from mine it seems :angel: Could you be a bit more specific in what needs work in my DSDT? The layout too, to optimize things, or just add fixes/delete obsolete things? By the way, if I remove eg. FDC, the device, how much do I remove - all the way to the next device, or just to the Method right below?

Hope I don't sound too ignorant, but I want to learn to be able to teach! There's a thread similar to the P5K PRO, for the ep45-ud3r, and I'm hoping we'll get some kind of 'universal' DSDT done for this board as well.

*bowing humbly, sipping ice cold coke at the same time*

Edit: This is totally offtopic, but I was wondering, could we get iStat menus to recognize the cpu-temperature by editing the DSDT?

I wanted to share with you guys my dilemma...I have 2 different set of DSDT's which gives me speedsteeping for my GA-EP35-DS3L board.

The first DSDT gives me low temp speedstep in the range of 35C but I lose sleep. Also I've the CST info in IO Register.

The Second DSDT gives me high temp speedstep in the range of 45C and I have sleep but there is no CST info in IO Register.

Both the DSDT's have different CST and PCT info. I haven't taken these from my board but have copied from this forum. I know wrong values would have fried my CPU or MB but no guts no glory.

My question now is obviously I would like to keep low temp speedstep but how do i make sleep work? could anyone please help me out here.

Appreciate any help.

cheers

p.s. i uploaded the file in aml extension in hurry...sorry I am using PC so unable to upload in dsl format

dsdt_nosleep_with_low_temp_speedstep.aml.txt

dsdt_sleep_with_hightemp_speedstep.aml.txt

I prefer spelunking in the DSDT tables to watching TV any day. There's a limit to how many times I can watch Van Helsing and re-runs of House.

Great. Me likes House but I'm not a fan of horror. LOL I have enough horror working on my hack :)

I want to ask you about the Firmware hub device you've added. My DSDT already has this device (two of them) but I don't know if it's actually doing anything as far as OS X is concerned. Both appear in ioreg but with nothing showing but IODeviceMemory and Name (INT0800 and PNP0C02).

Here is the whole section, the two devices are not referenced anywhere else in the DSDT:

<snip />

Can I do anything with this? (sorry about the non-specific question :P )

Yes... remove them and at mine. Apple (LPC) want that address so let's give it to them.

I read through the whole thread, and downloaded your DSDT v2.8. The whole layout of it is different from mine it seems :P Could you be a bit more specific in what needs work in my DSDT? The layout too, to optimize things, or just add fixes/delete obsolete things?

Start by renaming the Devices, then rip out parts, and keep rebooting – to see if it still works – until you get sick of it.

By the way, if I remove eg. FDC, the device, how much do I remove - all the way to the next device, or just to the Method right below?

Totally off-tipic again of course... but start with Device (FDC) up until the } at the same column.

Hope I don't sound too ignorant, but I want to learn to be able to teach! There's a thread similar to the P5K PRO, for the ep45-ud3r, and I'm hoping we'll get some kind of 'universal' DSDT done for this board as well.

That would be nice for fellow ep45-ud3r board owners, but make sure that you don't re-invent the wheel :D

Edit: This is totally offtopic, but I was wondering, could we get iStat menus to recognize the cpu-temperature by editing the DSDT?

No idea. I'm not much of a fan of it. I am personally waiting for i-mark to open up, or I'll have to write my own tool one day soon. Should be a days work top.

What about adding "TC0D" key to FakeSMC using code from CPU-i kext?

iStat reads this 2 bytes key from SMC. I tested adding it to Info.plist with value and iStat shows "CPU temp = 51ºC", so it should work.

Is it a bad idea for system performance?

I've now ripped out ASOC, SIOR, SMRG, SCMD, SBYT, WBYT, WWRD, RSBT, RBYT, RWRD, RBLK, WBLK, RAMW, IOB2, ISMI, GNVS, SNVS, GMAX, GMDX, GCAX, GCDX - and PPC, _PCT, _PSD, _PSS, SPSS and NPSS from the SSDT section at the bottom.

So now we don't need the _PSS, SPPS and NPSS to enter P-States ?

There are calculated automaticaly ?

Barnum

Barnum

See post #443

What about adding "TC0D" key to FakeSMC using code from CPU-i kext?

iStat reads this 2 bytes key from SMC. I tested adding it to Info.plist with value <33 00> and iStat shows "CPU temp = 51ºC", so it should work.

Is it a bad idea for system performance?

Oh yeah. Like I said: FakeSMS sucks (it's far to limited). And please share what you did with the rest of the peeps here. I tell you this: Experimenting is good – and you showed it – even if it makes your head spin!

p.s. There's a small hit yes, but who cares if you care about these values.

Hi, could anyone help me pls....I have speedstep with low temps but sleep is not working. Could anyone take a look at my DSDT or offer suggestion. Mine is a GA-EP-35DS3L board. I have everything working except sleep :) and mine too

Let me be perfectly clear to you:

1) Do not attach TXT files because they are worthless (at least to me).

2) The topic at hand is not about sleep (please read the title).

Note: <sensitive_topic>You seem to be using a PC-EFI module – at least when I am reading your signature right – which uses other peoples work without permission, not to mention the license breach, so go there and ask them for help. And yes please quote me! </sensitive_topic> But if you are "just" using Netkas's PC EFI then by all means, change that file first and open a new topic about fixing sleep!

Let me be perfectly clear to you:

1) Do not attach TXT files because they are worthless (at least to me).

2) The topic at hand is not about sleep (please read the title).

p.s. You seem to be using a PC-EFI module – at least when I am reading your signature right – which uses other peoples work without permission, not to mention the license breach, so go there and ask them for help. And yes please quote me!

Master Chief, what kind of file do you expect one to attach? that's a DSL file with txt appended as per the first post.

I do know that this thread is not about sleep but on speedsteping. The reason I brought about it here caz adding cst and pct info into my DSDT broke my sleep...I'm not that familiar with all DSDT coding.

ALso excuse my ignorance, I am not using any PC-EFI module...was supposed to type PC EFI by Netkas...in my enthusiasm I did my signature..and didn't notice the difference until you mentioned

Barnum

See post #443

Please be aware - until a GigaByte user manages to catch up with Master Chief's work, most of us still need the _PSS entry for speedsteping.

I'm trying but time isn't on my side ATM :huh:

Please be aware - until a GigaByte user manages to catch up with Master Chief's work, most of us still need the _PSS entry for speedsteping.

I'm trying but time isn't on my side ATM :(

After a long hiatus I'm back on it. Got a little burn't out so I needed a break. Let's see how far I get on my GA-EP45-UD3P.

@ FormerlyKnowsAs

What kind of progress have you made on your board?

Master Chief, what kind of file do you expect one to attach? that's a DSL file with txt appended as per the first post.

What Beerke'ed said. And the reason for this is simple; text files are known to add invisible characters, making it impossible to compile without fixing the errors first. Now help others to help you. Start by attaching a correctly formatted ZIP file and who know what might happen tonight :(

Light bulb: I am going to help some of you GB users. Not here of course, so feel free to open a new topic and let's get cracking. A one time only offer of course!

Anyone getting errors like this?

PM kernel (name of process) (map: 0x7010c2c) triggered DYLD shared region unnest for map: 0x7010c2c, region 0x7fff82800000->0x7fff82a00000. While not abnormal for debuggers, this increases system memory footprint until the target exits.

there is also a discussion in apple's forums

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...15&tstart=0