[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

• Please log in to reply
3675 replies to this topic

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,102 posts
Just an update to what I couldn't check earlier....

My trouble is that i want to look into my SATA port using IOReg,
but the only thing i can find is the IDE Controller ;)

If you want to check whether it works on your sys,try this Trailer (Ong Bak 2) in 720p and tell me if you can see slight stuttering/hiccups in the video playback using Quicktime X.

I don't see SATA in IOreg either, just IDE but System Profiler reports Serial-ATA correctly.

That 720p HD quicktime trailer plays smoothly on my system with Quicktime reported as using average 31% CPU in Activity Monitor. Maybe it's to do with your 8600GTS somehow? (I use a 8600GTS myself in my media centre PC so I know it's capable of handling far more difficult tasks than that, but that's using Windows etc...)

Weishauptus

Weishauptus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Hi Weishauptus

Well done with your build :)
I am not using my hack at the moment so I can't comment about finding SATA in IOReg.. (But I remember when applying the SATA fix to DSDT, SATA wasn't in my DSDT).. Maybe that's related?

Hey blackosx,

apparently the SleepEnabler.kext included with your package was not fit for my system (probably the 8600gts),
I recognized jumpy mouse behaviour in addition to the skipping videos and suddenly remembered i had read something about this. If anyone else experiences problems like that with a similar video card check out this thread and replace your SleepEnabler.kext (after compressing it for a backup) with the one in the thread. I do not know whether the package already included this version of Pista7's SleepEnabler (22/08/09) but all my problems disappeared at once and the system is rock stable ever since i did the switch. :) Apparently the issue was an AppleUpstreamUserClient related lag (some DRM component, which makes sense because it mostly happened when i played some media).

Really glad to have this one figured out! :D

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,102 posts
Of course!... well done Weishauptus.. I opted for the Disabler.kext route and had forgotten that Pista7 had updated his Sleepenabler to include the AppleUpstreamUserClient block... I will have to update my Support Files to include this as an option for NVidia users that suffer the QuickTime mouse lag bug.

Thanks Weishauptus :)

EDIT: That was why when I played the HD video, it was smooth for me. I had the Disabler.kext installed ( I had forgotten about all that).

EDIT: I have updated the Support Files (v1.9) to include this.

etherbunny2

etherbunny2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

@etherbunny2 - Thanks for reporting your successful install. You say you use Sata & IDE DVD drives. Can you just confirm what interface your install HDD was using, SATA or IDE? and the same for the install DVD drive. And you say your D-Link DWA-552 worked out of the box? This might come in useful for anyone else using wireless.... Thanks :)

Yes, using your IOATAFamily.kext from your boot CD v1.20 allowed my DWA-552 wirless to work OOB, but only in 32-bit mode. I believe it was also responsible for allowing the IDE DVD drive to be recognized, which it was not before. I installed SL from a SATA DVD drive (port 2) to the SATA HD (port 0).

msm5

msm5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Thanks titan4 and Weishauptus...your direction for this is much appreciated and I'm close to having it work. Interestingly, when I changed the audio kext (my DSDT was already properly patched), automatic sleep stopped working, although I can still sleep manually.

elrondd

elrondd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
hi blackosx
thanks for the guide
I successfully to install
But I found some problems
1. i can't use the zoom of people with disabilities, it makes a log off, log in whan i use it.
2. My sound card does Takim of booms, the problem was probably also on 10.5 probably it my local problem,
3. Unable to boot about 32-bit, after a change the file the boot is stuck
I need the 32 bit boot for the KXAUDIO driver
Thanks
Ronen.

hi blackosx
thanks for the guide
1. i can't use the zoom of people with disabilities, it makes a log off, log in whan i use it.
2. My sound card does Takim of booms, the problem was probably also on 10.5 probably it my local problem,
Thanks
Ronen.

hi blackosx
thanks for the guide
Thanks
Ronen.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,102 posts
Hi elrondd - Well done with your install.
I don't why you can't zoom with the Universal Access System Prefs. It works fine on my system.
What do you mean your 'sound card does Takim of booms'?
What do you mean 'unable to boot about 32-bit, after a change the file the boot is stuck'? What file have you changed? Try booting with the BootCD to get in to your system and then undo what change you made.

NEW Discovery

For anyone interested in having the' About This Mac' window correctly identify their CPU and you have a CPU which Apple uses in there machines, then DigitalDJ has come up with a new CPUInjector.kext which works as advertised. The main benefit of this is it allows you install apps such as Silverlight, without having to remove the versioncheck script as your machine will now report the CPU correctly.

Previously I used BJMoose's solution by changing the AboutThisMac.string file. But this is no longer needed (providing you have a processor that Apple uses in it's machines).

Have a read of DigitalDJ's post here and click the DOWNLOAD 1.1 to get the kext. Change the data as described in the thread to match your processor, add it to /E/E and reboot. (If you have applied BJMoose's fix in the past then you'll have to undo that).

It works with the kernel booting in both 32-bit & 64-bit mode.

elrondd

elrondd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
hi blackosx
Sorry for my bad English
I'll try to write again my problems:
1. I hear booms every time there is any sound on your computer,
It's hard to explain it other than tics, (maybe this my language is so hard to explain).
2. I changed the file Com.apple.Boot.plist Kernel Flags to put there the arch = i386
What it calls the computer just hangs on boot with the apple and don't move any more.

By the way I not used in Bootcd I did install the system from exists 10.5 .

Thanks again
Ronen

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,102 posts
Is your audio problem only when you hear the very first sound after a period of no audio?

If you download the BootCD and burn it. You should be able to boot from it and then select your Snow Leopard partition and boot it. Then you can edit your com.apple.Boot.plist back to how it was.

muitommy

muitommy

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Interests:Piano x Mac OS X

hi blackosx
Sorry for my bad English
It's hard to explain it other than tics, (maybe this my language is so hard to explain).
2. I changed the file Com.apple.Boot.plist Kernel Flags to put there the arch = i386
What it calls the computer just hangs on boot with the apple and don't move any more.

Thanks again
Ronen

i bet your audio drivers are not working right,
and shouldn't the kernel flag is "arch=i386", no space?

elrondd

elrondd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Is your audio problem only when you hear the very first sound after a period of no audio?

Yes exactly that , has a solution to the problem?

If you download the BootCD and burn it. You should be able to boot from it and then select your Snow Leopard partition and boot it. Then you can edit your com.apple.Boot.plist back to how it was.

Is there a difference I do like this than the boot through the 10.5?

i bet your audio drivers are not working right,
and shouldn't the kernel flag is "arch=i386", no space?

yes no space "arch=i386"

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,102 posts

Yes exactly that , has a solution to the problem?

From the front page in this thread..

€ The initial audio pop that occurs after a period of not using any sound can be fixed by changing the name of macintosh model in your SMBIOS.plist. To do this, find <key>SMproductname</key> and change the key to read to <string>MacPro1,1</string>.

Is there a difference I do like this than the boot through the 10.5?

Oh, Sorry. I thought you meant you couldn't boot your system. But I understand now that you just can't boot with the kernel in 32-bit mode. But you can in 64-bit mode?
In that case ignore what I said about using the BootCD. That was my mistake. :D

So the question here is why can't you boot with the kernel in 32-bit mode....
Well you are going to have to boot with -v (Verbose) option and try to read where the boot process stops to give you a clue as to what's going wrong.

Weishauptus

Weishauptus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

hi blackosx
Sorry for my bad English

Thanks again
Ronen

you need to edit your smbios file so your modeltype is "MacPro" :D (for the sound issues)
also there is no need for spaces in the "arch=i386" part in boot.plist

Jazo

Jazo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
After install SL when i click on SL disc icon i see all files, boot, symlink to etc, all folders. In Leopard, I saw only a few folders, the rest was hidden. Like do so by clicking on the icon of the drive system showed me only those
folders you need?

elrondd

elrondd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

From the front page in this thread..

Oh, Sorry. I thought you meant you couldn't boot your system. But I understand now that you just can't boot with the kernel in 32-bit mode. But you can in 64-bit mode?
In that case ignore what I said about using the BootCD. That was my mistake. B)

So the question here is why can't you boot with the kernel in 32-bit mode....
Well you are going to have to boot with -v (Verbose) option and try to read where the boot process stops to give you a clue as to what's going wrong.

Thank you thank you!
The problem is resolved, it seems to me that the problem of the zoom is resolved, because I use it all right,
So now do not need the 32-bit:-D
Thank you :-)

justmetoo

justmetoo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Thanks DigitalDJ, Blackosx!

Attached File  Screen_shot_2009_10_01_at_1.00.46_PM.png   45.82KB   40 downloads

keypox

keypox

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
hey does nayone know if the new sleep file fixes auto sleep? Sleep after a certain period i mean.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,102 posts
Hi keypox

Automatic Sleep works for my machine and it did with the previous version of SleepEnabler too. This other version is no different except is blocks AppleUpstreamUserClient for the Quicktime mouse lag bug.

There are different ideas on why it doesn't work for everybody, and they are mostly hardware related. But unfortunately nobody has pinned down exactly why it won't work for some systems.

After install SL when i click on SL disc icon i see all files, boot, symlink to etc, all folders. In Leopard, I saw only a few folders, the rest was hidden. Like do so by clicking on the icon of the drive system showed me only those
folders you need?

This has been covered before. You should only see 4 folders when you open Snow Leopard volume in the Finder. What install method did you use? as this is known to happen when using the OSInstall.mpkg method or maybe you had a damaged disc image?

Chameleon Themes

After your hard work of building your hackintosh, did you know that you can personalise your install by changing the Chameleon theme? For a while now myself and others have been creating different themes and just thought I would mention it incase it wasn't well known and have attached a preview of one of mine here for reference.

EDIT: I have also attached a preview of my latest theme too. :D

You can find them at voodooprojects' forum at the Theme Park:
h ttp://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/board,7.0.html
:D

Note: Everything you need for these is on that forum, including how to build one and how to resize one for your resolution.

Attached Files

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,102 posts
Gigabyte have finally released an updated BIOS for the GA-EP45-DS3L F11b
http://www.gigabyte....?ProductID=2844

EDIT: Okay - it works great :D

WARNING! - as with any BIOS update - Do this at your own risk.

Steps required.
1 - Download F11b BIOS
2 - In Windows, extract BIOS file from .EXE (I have now added the extracted BIOS file here)
3 - Rebuild your DSDT using the new EP45DS3L.11b BIOS file adding all your patches then add it to /Extra.
4 - In Windows, format a USB memory stick as FAT (not FAT32).
5 - Copy the EP45DS3L.11b BIOS file to the USB
6 - With USB stick in hackintosh, reboot and press DEL to enter BIOS
7 - Press F8 to enter Q-Flash Utility.
8 - Select Floppy (I think I did that), and it will read the USB stick and display the BIOS file found.
9 - Select to install it, and it will give you a checksum value of 3A00. Select OK and update your BIOS.
10 - Reboot by pressing one of the options shown (Can't remember which), and press DEL to enter the BIOS.
11 - Select Load Optimized Defaults, then set all your previous BIOS settings. AHCI, HPET 64-bit etc..
12 - Save and reboot. And you will now see AHCI v1.20E and have a faster boot process.

Snow Leopard booted up first time but I didn't have network. DCHP was self-assigned ... 169.?.?.?
I have had this before so I switched off the computer, and flicked the power switch to off and left it for a minute to reset the CMOS. Flicked the power switch back on, and press the power button on the front. All booted perfectly and network is now back to normal. Everything works as it should. Bingo! :)

For more info you can read mitch_de's thread about Gigabyte BIOS updates.

titan4

titan4

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Oh my all the DSDT patching again...but faster boot...yummy !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy