[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Hey all - one question. What graphics card should I get?

Debating the BRAND to order, as well as if I should go for a 4870/4890 or a GTX 285? Which will be more compatible?

Oh, and I need Dual Monitor support.

I have the identical system, except the ex58-ud4p and it works perfectly. I have never used a mac until 5 days ago and a big thank you to DD. Everything worked perfectly first time.

The card as far as I can tell works perfectly. But the card is a sapphire, but same specs and all.

If I could beg for help now, the only thing that does not work is sleep, because the extra 2 boxes in energy savings settings are missing, i did not update to 10.5.8 so that is not it.

I am completely new at this , so any help must be given step by step, as if you are talking to a 4 year old.

I read the instructions on how to use the dsht override and it is Martian to me.

It is hard to start when you really have no idea.

Managed a few things like altering the plists, but thats about it.

Again thank you DD, and I used an efix chip to build a mac so i could build a core I7 Mac.

Your system is 200 cheaper and way better.

The efix won't even support an I7.

Hi, do you have dual monitors on that card?

Hey everybody,

Since i recently built my first hackintosh with the Gigabyte UD5 board I wanted to make sure everything went as smoothly as possible. After doing some research I had decided that the EFI-X bootloader would be the safest choice. I guess I didnt do enough research as I have had nothing but headaches and poor customer service from those people and I have decided to completely forgo that expensive piece of plastic and switch to the Chameleon bootloader.

I have a completely vanilla install of OS X 10.5.7 with nothing more than the official drivers to run my GTX 260 graphics card. I didnt want to risk ruining anything or possibly making EFIX not function so I opted to first try out Chameleon on a USB bootloader. After installing the Chameleon RC2 on my GUID parted USB drive I ran DD's script on the flash drive.

My current situation is now that according to the script I should be at the stage where I reboot my system with Chameleon, however chameleon boots and as it initializes OS X it just hangs on the spinning circle.

I have looked all over the forum, or at least as many pages as my brain can handle, and I havent found any solutions. Anyone with the same problem or have any clue what I should do?

Hardware:

Mobo: GA-EX58-UD5

Proc: Intel 920 i7 2.66ghz

Grfx: EVGA GTX 260

RAM: OCZ 6GB DDR3

HDD: WD 1TB (OS X)

WD 250GB (WIN7)

Hello-

I finally got my 920 delivered today but am having difficulty booting into OS X to create the DSDT file. Regardless of whether I boot normally or into safemode, I get a kernel panic. Booting into verbose mode also stalls:

post-470182-1250125090_thumb.jpg

My hardware configuration is as follows:

UD4P Motherboard

i7 920 cooled by thermalright true black 120

6GB RAM

EVGA GTX 260

750W Supply

Something similar used to happen in my powermac, years ago, after I had replaced all the fans. I wonder if it could be a thermal issue.

EDIT: The BIOS shows CPU temp at 37C...probably not thermal related.

EDIT: I tried the install again to no avail...maybe I have something improperly set up in my BIOS.

Any ideas?

Hello-

I finally got my 920 delivered today but am having difficulty booting into OS X to create the DSDT file. Regardless of whether I boot normally or into safemode, I get a kernel panic. Booting into verbose mode also stalls:

post-470182-1250125090_thumb.jpg

My hardware configuration is as follows:

UD4P Motherboard

i7 920 cooled by thermalright true black 120

6GB RAM

EVGA GTX 260

750W Supply

Something similar used to happen in my powermac, years ago, after I had replaced all the fans. I wonder if it could be a thermal issue.

EDIT: The BIOS shows CPU temp at 37C

Any ideas?

Narayana! Narayana! ;)

anyway... are you trying to just get a maintenance drive working first? Typically - a great many of us are installing kalyway or iPC to a separate "maintenance" hard drive. The idea is just to get a place to work from and run Dreamers script. You use one of those non-vanilla distros to prep the vanilla 10.5.7 boot drive. You don't have to worry about the maintenance drive being perfect just bootable and able to recognize your hard drives and stuff. I elected to download iPC 10.5.6 and installed it on an old raptor and ironically its very stable. Then I took my leopard dvd and made a dmg out of it so I could install leopard on the vanilla drive quickly (believe me you will install leopard a few times!). Then I installed the combo update for 10.5.7 to the vanilla drive. Then I ran dreamers script and finished prepping the vanilla drive. The only thing outside of dreamer's script that i needed to do for both iPC and the vanilla drive was get a graphics string for my graphics card which is a 9800gtx+. That was easy though and I just pasted it into the boot.plist within the dreamer script folder and his script added it for me to the vanilla drive when i ran it. So once you run his script you are ready to power down. I made sure to set the vanilla drive in bios as the first drive in the boot chain to avoid conflicts. In my situation I have the iPC drive (36gb) vanilla drive (300gb) and 3 other data drives... so for first boot to the vanilla drive I unplugged all drives but the vanilla (300gb velociraptor) so that I could rule out any funky conflicts. Everything went fine though. Make sure, also, to unplug your power cord until the motherboard lights turn off so you dont get the random gigabyte ethernet bug where it stops working every X number of power offs. I hope my rambling has been more help than hurt. Good Luck.

Hello-

Any ideas?

This looks like a video problem, not a bad card, but a driver/card incompatibility. Do you have a different video card you can try? Such as an nVidia 8000 or 9000 series card that you could apply an EFi string or one of the generic Nvidia kexts.

I installed DD's script to the target hard drive using a macbook. I connected the hard drive to my new machine in the aspirations of creating a DSDT file when it boots. Unfortunately, as the system tries to load OSX, I get a kernel panic (in both normal and safe mode boots). I have disconnected the second hard drive installed in the machine and therefore I do not think there will be any conflicts in hard drive booting (although it does list the drive as SCSI, which is odd:

Under Advanced BIOS features/Hard Disk Boot Priority:

SCSI-0: P0-ST3500410AS

I also matched my Integrated Peripherals to DD's picture on the first post (he has some more options as he is likely running a more updated BIOS)

Is there anything else I need to play with in the BIOS to make it boot properly? In my pervious post, I noted that booting into OSX in verbose more shows the last executed line as ocspd. I searched for this on the forum and apparently it is run before the graphics card is initialized. Could there be a problem there?

Should I make a DSDT file on the macbook (although the script says not to) and then remake it on the PC?

I appreciate the reply MangoPeach, but it doesn't really address the problems I am facing.

Any help would obviously be appreciated.

This looks like a video problem, not a bad card, but a driver/card incompatibility. Do you have a different video card you can try? Such as an nVidia 8000 or 9000 series card that you could apply an EFi string or one of the generic Nvidia kexts.

Yeah, from my searches on the forum, the point where my kp occurs seems to be indicative of a graphics care problem. Unfortunately, the only computers I have either have integrated graphics (macbook, dell mini) or an AGP card (powermac).

Could I apply a EFI string prior to booting into OS X for the first time? I was under the impression that ATY_init was indeed a generic nvidia/ati kext. Does it not work with the newer nVIDIA cards?

I am pretty lost here...

In terms of mother board setup, is there anything I need to change aside from the AHCI settings in sada raid/ahci mode and onboard sata/ide ctrl mode?

Auralesque:

Those Temps do seem excessively high but I'm not sure how good your CPU fan is. I'm overclocked to 3.8GHz and my idle temp is 44°C but I'm using a scythe mugen 2 which is one of the best air coolers about and a case with some fans and good air flow.

Narayana:

From what I understand you should be able to paste in the EFI string before making your first boot but since you won't be running the hardware at that stage you'll have to find the info on the string from someone else to paste it in.

Definitely avoid using the DSDT patch on your macbook. That's only going to cause more trouble for you.

i have this exact card same brand and everything. works perfectly with dual display, not sure about the sleep as i don't even use it.

just a warning for anyone who buys radeon cards DONT buy any with the HDMI VGA DVI ports, i had only trouble with my last card (radeon 4580) and just ended up replacing it with a 4870 with 2 DVI ports.

other people managed to get theres to work but i couldnt and i tried everything just save the hassle.

Hey guys ;) ,

This is my configuration:

GA-ex58-ud5

core i7-920

6GB DDR3 ram

AND

an XFX RADEON 4870 1 GB card...

Does anybody have a similar configuration with this card and can tell me it works? Because i've read a lot that XFX cards aren't the best for a hackintosh...

Narayana:

From what I understand you should be able to paste in the EFI string before making your first boot but since you won't be running the hardware at that stage you'll have to find the info on the string from someone else to paste it in.

Definitely avoid using the DSDT patch on your macbook. That's only going to cause more trouble for you.

I was able to generate a custom EFI string in OSX86tools on my macbook, but the application doesn't seem to allow you to control another computer. I just wonder if this is the correct route I should be taking. Someone else has to have made a machine with a GTX card. Were you able to boot on your first try following DD's instructions or did you have to do something else?

This is a bit frustrating...hah.

The only thing outside of dreamer's script that i needed to do for both iPC and the vanilla drive was get a graphics string for my graphics card which is a 9800gtx+. That was easy though and I just pasted it into the boot.plist within the dreamer script folder and his script added it for me to the vanilla drive when i ran it.

I appreciate the reply MangoPeach, but it doesn't really address the problems I am facing.

Maybe I was a bit too hasty, MangoPeach. I generated a custom EFI graphics string for the GTX260 and copied it into the com.apple.boot.plist file, which now looks like this:

plist.txt

Is this the correct way to add the string? I replaced the plist file in DD's script with that. Or should I just paste the EFI opcode into .../plists/EFI_string.txt ?

I will try to install again...wish me luck.

Plz help me. I have 2 weeks torment. i want to know how u install mac os 10.5.7. I have done in the following sequence:

1) install kalyway on 1 hdd;

2) run dd script install on 2 hdd 1.chameleon

2.MacOS 10.5.6 retail, but not dvd. i mount iso.

3.mac combo update 10.5.7

3) kext from script

4) dsdt

5) booting on 2 hdd.and mac OS does not boot. (busratio=20 -v -f does not help)

what's wrong??

Maybe I was a bit too hasty, MangoPeach. I generated a custom EFI graphics string for the GTX260 and copied it into the com.apple.boot.plist file, which now looks like this:

plist.txt

Is this the correct way to add the string? I replaced the plist file in DD's script with that. Or should I just paste the EFI opcode into .../plists/EFI_string.txt ?

I will try to install again...wish me luck.

On page 84 of this thread FUT!L!TY attached an EFI string for an 8800GT (I think), that's what the string should look like. You can create the string using OS86tools on your Mac then copy the string (about 1200 characters) from the lower pane of Tools and paste that to your plist. Done properly the EFI string technique has worked on every nVidia card I have tried (haven't tried your card however)

Another possiblility is to remove the ATY kext and boot without any driver. That won't give you QE but it may let you boot into Mac with a default resolution.

I really have no more ideas on how to move forward anymore.

I tried reinstalling the OS and used an EFI generation method outlined in this thread on post 190:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...3489&st=180

I formatted the drive, installed ChameleonRC2, used DD's script for 3-6 (I removed ATY_init). I added the EFI string to EFI_string.txt and used option 8 to add to my info.plist No luck.

I added ATY_init and retried...no luck.

Booting into verbose mode shows this:

post-470182-1250159277_thumb.jpg

I can get past the ocspd part...but then it locks saying the computer can't read user-specified computer name and local host name. I am also not sure what caused the identifier to switch to MacPro2,1...it was MacPro4,1 before.

everdone, I am trying to update the info.plist in the model you pointed out. Im sure the update stuck, as the resolution changed. But functionally I am still stalling in the same place.

Blah.

Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

is there something i need to change in my com.apple.Boot.plist or create a new one with the OSx86Tools?

Or was it wrong to create the DSDT while running under efix?

Any help would be most appreciated as I am completely lost

EDIT:After looking at Naranya's situation I am starting to think its my GTX 260 that is causing the problem. Would that cause the hanging on boot?

I was able to successfully boot on a GTX 260 by deleting the graphics kexts. Thank you to yydoctt and everdone for suggesting as much.

Unfortunately, after I tried to install the drivers and modify the plist, I booted into a black screen...but that is for another thread :D

I was able to successfully boot on a GTX 260 by deleting the graphics texts. Thank you to yydoctt and everdone for suggesting as much.

Unfortunately, after I tried to install the drivers and modify the plist, I booted into a black screen...but that is for another thread ;)

have you tried netkas? http://netkas.org/?p=104

So to sum things up... you installed 10.5.7 on a separate drive, ran the dream script from your maintenance drive and then get can't boot to 10.5.7 drive? Just for a long shot try going into disk utility and repair permissions on the 10.5.7 drive. Also, physically unplug every single drive except the vanilla drive just to rule out that variable. Also try netkas injector for graphics... I just have this feeling that your gtx 260 woes are a different problem...

Does ATI vs Nvidia have any better compatibility with the newest cards, or does it not matter at this point? What about brand? I am wondering if I should go for a 4870/4890 or a GTX 285? And what brand (gigabyte, evga, etc.)? Which will be more compatible/overall easier? I will also need Dual Monitor support.

Thanks so much!!!

Narayana

Boot into Mac without the driver. Run OS86Tools from there to create an EFI string for your card. Select 'copy to boot plist'. The string will be copied to the com.apple.Boot.plist in Library/Preferences/Systemconfigurations. Copy the string from that location. Be sure to include "key>device-properties/<key" in your copy. Paste that into the boot.plist in DDs script and rerun the kext installer (don't run the modify plist function). Make sure none of the "univeral" kexts or injectors for graphics are included in your installed kexts (those prevent the EFI string from working).

Reboot and you should have a working card.

And if you deleted your graphics kexts, you also need to reinstall the evga/nvidia drivers. Remember to use the installer with mac-pro check removed or install the kexts manually - just installing the package with pacifist to default location won't work... (This was one of the mistakes I made first)

Hey,

i've got 2 Questions:

1. what is the easyest way to install a parallel ubuntu on my "hackintosh"? i'v got 2 HDDs one is for my OSX (10.5.7) and the other is for all the data (Music, Documents, work stuf...) How can i Install ubuntu there in this configuration? (i want to run Ubuntu nativ.. ..so parallels is not my choice^^)

2. the other question is: Imagine i buy an other HDD to set up a Raid0 System with my "LeopardHDD" what do i have to do to? Is there any easy Way? (Any possibility to set up this in the Bios? ..of course, im using the UD5...) --> and is this possible without Reinstalling everything? I Clone my SystemHDD every week automated with clonezilla.. any way to use this Backup to restore on a Raid0 System?!

Thanks a Lot!

ahh any news about updating to 10.5.8? --> @ digital_dreamer could you Post any News to this in your initial Post!? THANKS!!!

Pcace