82 replies to this topic

Markandeya

Markandeya

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Network,Programming,Linux,Basketball,MuayThai,Mac
I've found this side,it may help to you as well.

http://www.kernelthr.../osx/tools.html

nimb0z

nimb0z

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
whats the command to view the cd/dvd drive via terminal? I need to copy some files from there to system folder.

Korrupted

Korrupted

Wandering Samurai

• Retired
  • 1,623 posts
  • Interests:Mac<br />Laptops
It's cd /Volumes/Name_Of_Your_CD where Name_Of_Your_CD is obviously the name of your cd. For example, if you have Warcraft III, its cd name is The Frozen Throne, and thus you would type cd /Volumes/"The Frozen Throne". If you want to see all the drives Mac currently sees, just go to /Volumes with cd /Volumes, then type ls, which will show you a list.

soup4you2

soup4you2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
This is not a terminal command but a little trick. sometimes i like the feel of just the console with no GUI present. You need to have it set so you have to type in your username and password.

In the username field enter:

>console

then press enter.. *poof* full screen terminal.

Edited by soup4you2, 16 February 2007 - 04:32 PM.

peterblood

peterblood

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
to make an alias, just type
alias ll='ls -l'

MONGO!

MONGO!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Found this browsing around for Terminal info.

It's a fun command that lets you set your preferred screensaver as your desktop:

/system/library/frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/contents/macos/screensaverengine -background

dan98203

dan98203

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone, I would like to know if there is a way to enable the administrator account through the terminal since it is not active on the Imac? i don't have any passwords for the users who are currently on the imac so I can't login to any accounts.

SunLizard

SunLizard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Greetings,

I'm *trying* to get OSX86 (10.4.8 patched w/SSE2 & SSE3) installed on my homebulit system. I've got some Linux/Unix experience (in other words, I can hurt myself in a shell) but am not familiar with the capabilities of the Single User mode when booting. [ie what I can and can't do in single user mode]

The Question: Can I mount the drives to the /Volumes/ folder the same way at command line shell the same way as *nix? (eg 'mount /dev/disk0 /Volumes/DVDrom')

Background: I can get OSX installed but it has issues on first boot with my PCIe card (specifically addressed in the Video Forum.) I think Callisto kexts will set me free, but I can't get the bloody files of the CD I burned them to as the only drive recognized in Single User ( '-s' at the boot options screen.) Sidenote: I can't get the safe mode '-x' to boot properly either as once its starts to bring up GUI (QE/CI) the machine halts. So I *think* I'm stuck with Single User mode until I get the Callisto drivers installed.

Thanks in advance.
S_L

triofour

triofour

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
hy!

i only can start with pressing x while startup! what does it do? i found just descriptions like "force mac os startup"? and: is there any flag for that i could ad to the bootlistfile?!

thanks
triofour

Gooly

Gooly

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Will be usefull, if you can include few usefull kernel parameters. ;)

Hugo Guerreiro

Hugo Guerreiro

OSX86 Dumb Tester...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Would anybody be willing to translate this info into other languages? That'd be neat if everyone could have this info, not just us English speakers. :P

Hi this is my first post in the forum and since you asked im responding to you... im Portuguese and i would be glad to translate this guide to portuguese if you still want to.

Im a windows user but now im trying to get lost in the mac world ( tryed to install 10.4.6 on a acer aspire 5050 but it wasnt a good experience since i had problems with the kernel at booting up after the installation so im going for the 10.4.9 now to give it another try.)

So this guide is being a precious help in understanding how mac works and, like i said, it would be my pleasure to translate it for you in portuguese if you want. PM me or send me the full guide in PDF to hgserv@gmail.com

Best Regards

Hugo

QuietRiot

QuietRiot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Not exactly a command, but saves a lot of work and helps on the guessing is the TAB-completion.

For instance: you want to type veryLongFilenameThatYouAlwaysMisspell.txt, just start typing, hit TAB, and it should complete it. It works with a few other things.

hoyanf

hoyanf

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Something good for use with Automator e.g. :-Run Shell Script

if [ -d /Volumes/DVD ]then hdiutil unmount /Volumes/DVDfi

What it will do is that 1- Check if directory /Volumes/DVD exist2- Then run the 'hdiutil unmount /Volumes/DVD'3- EndSave it as Application then add it to your startup itemsAnother tip to look for specific files and or directories...find /Users/user -name yourfilename -type f -print

find <location> -name <filename> -type f <file> d <directory> -print <to view>

Another thing you can do isfind location -name filename -type f -exec chmod -v 644 {} \;

find <location> -name <filename -type f <file> -exec <execute> chmod -v <verbose> 644 {} \;

Or you can combine some other functions...

Rickyo

Rickyo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Would anybody be willing to translate this info into other languages? That'd be neat if everyone could have this info, not just us English speakers. :huh:

Hi everybody, I'm new in this forum but i find it very interesting ^^
I can translate it in French if you want.I can do it for next week ( let's say for Wednesday because i'm a little busy this w-kend)
Reply me if it 's ok for you.
Bye ^^

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:swim, learning, computers
I feel super-dumb right now, but i cannot find com.apple.boot.plist. I looked in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, and it wasn't there. I looked in spotlight (over the entire hard drive). I typed sudo find . -name "com.apple.boot.plist" into terminal and after about 10 minutes it finished with no output.

I am using 10.4.10 on an emac (G4 1.25GHz). Any ideas?

udnan

udnan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Can you let us know the other kernel flags which can be used and what they do.
I have to use a -f flag while booting to enable Broadcom440x kernel ext to load
in Leopard.

With regards.

i9300

i9300

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
DaxTsurugi
I have something I did not see on your list on the first page

$hdiutil burn filename.iso
or
$hdiutil burn -noburnverify filename.iso
This will not do any verify and be much faster

I can kick off a burn in the two seconds to type hdiutil burn filename.iso vs. the navigating and clicking around with a gui burning app.

I had to research it and others might find it useful

TheG33k

TheG33k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Here are my Terminal Tweaks:

Make your "ls" more Colorfull:

- Open a Terminal
- type "vi ~/.bash_profile"
- insert the following lines:
export CLICOLOR=1
  export LSCOLORS=ExFxCxDxBxegedabagacad
- Try changing the Color codes for other Colors :(

Make your Vi and Vim Colorfull & More:
- Open a Terminal
- type "vi ~/.vimrc" for Console vi
or type "vi ~/.gvimrc" for Grafical Vim
- add some lines into the file:
set nocompatible
syntax on
set tabstop=4
set backspace=2

- you can find more commands if
you use google with the words "gvimrc" or "vimrc"

Add your own "Commands":
- Open a Terminal
- type "vi ~/.bash_profile"
- instert in example:
alias la="ls -la"
- close your Terminal and open it again
- now you have easy file-list-access via "la"

inimicus

inimicus

Drunk and Angry Slurs in 31 Flavors

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
Eject!

umount /Volumes/SomeVolume

Mount!

mount /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/SomeDir

though you might have to mkdir /Volumes/SomeDir first.

Comes in handy with stubborn volumes.

Keep in mind if you navigate to /Volumes first (cd /Volumes), you can leave out those parts referencing the directory.

Juo

Juo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Great guide thanks a lot. -_-

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy