[INFO] Various Unix/Mac OS X terminal commands

83 posts in this topic

hi i 've been trying to change my resolution acording to your instructions and cannot menage could you pls help, i'm adding messages from my terminal

-bash: bluntman: command not found

zdzislaws-computer:~ zdzislaw$ <key>Graphics Mode</key>

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

zdzislaws-computer:~ zdzislaw$ <key>Graphics Mode</key></string>1280x1024x32@60</string>

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `<'

zdzislaws-computer:~ zdzislaw$ <string> "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@60" </string>

zdzislaws-computer:~ zdzislaw$ <key>Graphics Mode</key> </string>1280x1024x32@60</string>

zdzislaws-computer:~ zdzislaw$ <string>"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@60"</string>

zdzislaws-computer:~ zdzislaw$ <string>"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@60"</string>

zdzislaws-computer:~ zdzislaw$ <key>Graphics Mode</key> </string>1024x768x32@60</string>

zdzislaws-computer:~ zdzislaw$ <string> "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@60" </string>

zdzislaws-computer:~ zdzislaw$

pls help I'm new in these matters :graduated:

hi i 've been trying to change my resolution acording to your instructions and cannot menage :( could you pls help, i'm adding messages from my terminal

-bash: bluntman: command not found

zdzislaws-computer:~ zdzislaw$ <key>Graphics Mode</key>

zdzislaws-computer:~ zdzislaw$ <key>Graphics Mode</key></string>1280x1024x32@60</string>

zdzislaws-computer:~ zdzislaw$ <key>Graphics Mode</key> </string>1280x1024x32@60</string>

zdzislaws-computer:~ zdzislaw$ <key>Graphics Mode</key> </string>1024x768x32@60</string>

zdzislaws-computer:~ zdzislaw$

You have to add that to your com.apple.boot.plist

Thx for the help:)

But must haxe mixed something up my system is not booting anymore :(

I have the grey screen a nd the dashed circle rotating and nothing happens,

i read about similar pronlem of one of the guys but coludn't find the solution:(

In the file it looked like that:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@60"</string>

I replaced the <string></string> (I think) which was underneath the line <key>Graphics Mode</key> with <string>"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@60"</string>

then I couldn't save :( Now i know that I should use ctrl O)

so i copied the file to the desktop made the changes and overwrote the old file in the preferences folder

ehmm does it mean I need to format :(?

How do i start in yhe -s mode?

thx for the help

• 4 weeks later...

Find a file

To find a file, use:

locate <filename>

Example: locate Callisto.kext

This will look for anything related to Callisto.kext on your system.

--------------------------------

Beside the "locate" command there is the "find" command.

"locate" is dependant of the update database, while "find" is not.

The locate program searches a database for all pathnames which match the

specified pattern. The database is recomputed periodically (usually

weekly or daily), and contains the pathnames of all files which are publicly

accessible.

The find command is dependant on parameters about what you want to find (and where and how).

A casual example for the find command:

$find /usr -name somefile.txt

In the above command you have specified your find path to the /usr directory (or partition). You are searching for a "name" to be specific: "somefile.txt".

The find command has many parameters.

Just open a terminal and type "man find".

Cheers, Solaris Bob

Edit: here is a nice goody for the UNIX oriented MacOSX Geeks: http://rmn.ulaval.ca/manuals/oreilly/mac/index.htm

Although it is a copyrighted O'Reilly book, it is been put on the web by a university, so I suppose that part is legally covered... :construction:

• 4 weeks later...

There is an IMPORTANT difference between cp and ditto: ditto preserves ressource forks, whereas cp DOES NOT when used without the proper flags.

Also, ditto is much more powerful: it can handle archives, strip architectures from universal binaries etc.

Consult "man ditto" for more info.

• 4 weeks later...

There are some other differences between the cp (and other file related UNIX commands) and Ditto that are Mac OS X version specific.

cp and mv in Mac OS X 10.3 and earlier did not support forked files. You had to use the Ditto command (with the appropriate switch - check the man page, or cpMac which was installed if the user had installed the developer tools.

As of Mac OS X 10.4 the cp and mv commands are resource fork aware and will work just fine without having to use Ditto.

• 2 weeks later...
sudo asks for the USER password, if it has administrative rights (e.g. /etc/sudoers file)

su asks for the ROOT password.

that is the difference

That's not exactly correct...sudo gives you admin (or root) permissions just for the line in which you Sudo'd.

su is to login as root until you close the terminal and you don't su before a command...you:

su

password

command (s)

• 1 month later...

hey Dax,

thanks for responding to my earlier comment regard creating the alias.. i followed your instruction but can't seem to run textedit from the terminal.. i get the following message

amir-hamzahs-computer:~ vassalle$ textedit
-bash: /usr/sbin/textedit: Permission denied

i've followed your instruction correctly, double triple checked it but still get the same error. do you know what am i doing wrong?

i'm running 10.4.8 with mikfi kernel.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It's cd /Volumes/Name_Of_Your_CD where Name_Of_Your_CD is obviously the name of your cd. For example, if you have Warcraft III, its cd name is The Frozen Throne, and thus you would type cd /Volumes/"The Frozen Throne". If you want to see all the drives Mac currently sees, just go to /Volumes with cd /Volumes, then type ls, which will show you a list.

This is not a terminal command but a little trick. sometimes i like the feel of just the console with no GUI present. You need to have it set so you have to type in your username and password.

In the username field enter:

>console

then press enter.. *poof* full screen terminal.

Edited by soup4you2

• 4 weeks later...

Found this browsing around for Terminal info.

It's a fun command that lets you set your preferred screensaver as your desktop:

/system/library/frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/contents/macos/screensaverengine -background

Hi everyone, I would like to know if there is a way to enable the administrator account through the terminal since it is not active on the Imac? i don't have any passwords for the users who are currently on the imac so I can't login to any accounts.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings,

I'm *trying* to get OSX86 (10.4.8 patched w/SSE2 & SSE3) installed on my homebulit system. I've got some Linux/Unix experience (in other words, I can hurt myself in a shell) but am not familiar with the capabilities of the Single User mode when booting. [ie what I can and can't do in single user mode]

The Question: Can I mount the drives to the /Volumes/ folder the same way at command line shell the same way as *nix? (eg 'mount /dev/disk0 /Volumes/DVDrom')

Background: I can get OSX installed but it has issues on first boot with my PCIe card (specifically addressed in the Video Forum.) I think Callisto kexts will set me free, but I can't get the bloody files of the CD I burned them to as the only drive recognized in Single User ( '-s' at the boot options screen.) Sidenote: I can't get the safe mode '-x' to boot properly either as once its starts to bring up GUI (QE/CI) the machine halts. So I *think* I'm stuck with Single User mode until I get the Callisto drivers installed.

Thanks in advance.

S_L

• 4 weeks later...

hy!

i only can start with pressing x while startup! what does it do? i found just descriptions like "force mac os startup"? and: is there any flag for that i could ad to the bootlistfile?!

thanks

triofour

• 2 weeks later...