ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

VCH888

1,156 posts in this topic

@ tmongkol

Thank you very much for your advice. I have got sound now. I had choose the first option, fixing my DSDT.aml.

Still I had some difficulties, I am not sure if the DSDTSE patcher have a bug, or it is just my inexperience.

However I still have some small issues. I followed your guide fixing my DSDT. When it comes to "Pinconfiurations" in your Guide it says Buffer (0x01). In my DSDT it is Buffer (One). when I change the (One) into (0x01) the patcher does not accept and put (One) back in. I don't know if this makes any differce.

I still have a lot of errors during boot, related to AppleHDA. Any how it works.

The second option you showed me I have not tried. I tried once to boot without DSDT.aml and got Kernel panic.

This are the errors I get:

Nov 19 23:30:17 ROhack kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 3189 goto Exit

Nov 19 23:30:18: --- last message repeated 3 times ---

Nov 19 23:30:18 ROhack kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 3222 goto Exit

Nov 19 23:30:18: --- last message repeated 15 times ---

Nov 19 23:30:18 ROhack kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 3189 goto Exit

Nov 19 23:30:26: --- last message repeated 2 times ---

Nov 19 23:30:26 ROhack kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 3222 goto Exit

Nov 19 23:31:31 ROhack kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 3222 goto Exit

Attached my latest DSDT.aml and the LegacyHDA.kext I am using for now.

Again, Thank you very much.

dsdt.aml.zip

LegacyHDA.kext.zip

Hello Again. :D

Use Legacy ALC889 (not 889a) for Gigabyte P55 '3out2in HDA headphone'

Finally Sound information is Working Good with '3out2in HDA headphone'

post-68361-1258700888_thumb.png

My Main Board is MSI X58 Pro-E.

but Actually No sound out.

Need some Help Please.

Console massage is 'Sound assertion "0 == pciVendorProductID" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 2682 goto Exit'

upload my Ubuntu Codec dump file.

Codec: Realtek ALC889

Address: 0

Vendor Id: 0x10ec0889

Subsystem Id: 0x14627522

Revision Id: 0x100004

Ubuntu_Dump_alc889_card0_codec_0.txt.zip

Thank you

PS : Sorry my foolish English.

Sure thing, ignore my current HDEF settings. They have been changed more than ten times the last days to try different solutions.

koplimi_DSDT.dsl.zip

Please compare to your work.

Koplimi_DSDT.zip

===================================================

@ tmongkol

Thank you very much for your advice. I have got sound now. I had choose the first option, fixing my DSDT.aml.

Still I had some difficulties, I am not sure if the DSDTSE patcher have a bug, or it is just my inexperience.

However I still have some small issues. I followed your guide fixing my DSDT. When it comes to "Pinconfiurations" in your Guide it says Buffer (0x01). In my DSDT it is Buffer (One). when I change the (One) into (0x01) the patcher does not accept and put (One) back in. I don't know if this makes any differce.

I still have a lot of errors during boot, related to AppleHDA. Any how it works.

The second option you showed me I have not tried. I tried once to boot without DSDT.aml and got Kernel panic.

This are the errors I get:

Nov 19 23:30:17 ROhack kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 3189 goto Exit

Nov 19 23:30:18: --- last message repeated 3 times ---

Nov 19 23:30:18 ROhack kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 3222 goto Exit

Nov 19 23:30:18: --- last message repeated 15 times ---

Nov 19 23:30:18 ROhack kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 3189 goto Exit

Nov 19 23:30:26: --- last message repeated 2 times ---

Nov 19 23:30:26 ROhack kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 3222 goto Exit

Nov 19 23:31:31 ROhack kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 3222 goto Exit

Attached my latest DSDT.aml and the LegacyHDA.kext I am using for now.

Again, Thank you very much.

@ CPT_MAC

I have no idea about these Sound assertions since I've never got these errors. I think your dsdt is OK.

Do you have any additional device?

@ tmongol

The only additional device I have is a logitec USB web cam. With leo 10.5.7 I had no sound assertions so far.

In snow I feel I have to turn the volume more up to gains the same loundness as in 10.5.7.

I think I still have not the correct LegacyHDA.kext, or the DSDT.aml is not fully correct. However, I use this computer most of the time as a office machine and for playing youtube or itunes from time to time sound is acceptable for me as it is now.

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi tmongkol,

I have a strange problem, I thought perhaps you'd have an idea:

I prepared a LegacyHDA for my board (Intel DX58SO) with ALC889 (not ALC889a).

It works properly (with DSDT patch) under SL 10.6.2 and also under Leopard 10.5.8 when using AppleHDA from 10.5.7 (v1.6.8a3) or older.

However, when in Leopard I use the stock AppleHDA from 10.5.8 (v1.7.1a2), I get no sound with the following error message:

Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-171.1.2/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1459 goto Exit
Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-171.1.2/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 172 goto Exit

In addition, for testing perhaps something is wrong with my LegacyHDA, I also tried to use your ALC889 kexts for the Gigabyte P55, which shares the same codec and address, and it has exactly the same problem - works with AppleHDA from 10.6.2/10.5.7 (of course not all I/Os work with it for my board), but with AppleHDA from 10.5.8 - same error message I specified.

Any clue what could it be?

Thanks,

Pene

Hi tmongkol,

It works properly (with DSDT patch) under SL 10.6.2 and also under Leopard 10.5.8 when using AppleHDA from 10.5.7 (v1.6.8a3) or older.

However, when in Leopard I use the stock AppleHDA from 10.5.8 (v1.7.1a2), I get no sound with the following error message:

Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-171.1.2/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1459 goto Exit
Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-171.1.2/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 172 goto Exit

In addition, for testing perhaps something is wrong with my LegacyHDA, I also tried to use your ALC889 kexts for the Gigabyte P55, which shares the same codec and address, and it has exactly the same problem - works with AppleHDA from 10.6.2/10.5.7 (of course not all I/Os work with it for my board), but with AppleHDA from 10.5.8 - same error message I specified.

Any clue what could it be?

Thanks,

Pene

Try to change layout-id in DSDT to be 0x0c, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 since I made LayoutID of ALC889 LegacyHDA.kext for GB P55 to be 12.

Hi tmongkol,

Thanks for your answer.

I am already using layout-id 12, my kext is very similar to yours, changes being in pinconfigurations and pathmaps to get all I/Os working (your kext was also working with the board, just not with all I/Os).

Today I also noticed that with SL 10.6.0/10.6.1 (AppleHDA v1.7.4a1) it also gives the same error as with 10.5.8, but after update to 10.6.2 everything works (AppleHDA v1.7.9a2), and the error is gone.

I don't really care about 10.6.0, my problem is that with AppleHDA from 10.5.8 it doesn't work, and starts working only if I downgrade AppleHDA to 10.5.7's.

I thought perhaps this is a general problem with LegacyHDA's. Any clue?

Hi guys.... I've followed step by step the guide included in the pdf "How to patch DSDT with LAN and HDEF functions including LegacyHDA" package.

I have compiled DSDT.aml with iasl and it gave me back 0 errors and 0 warnings, so I've put it into the Extra Folder of my snow leopard installation.

But there's something I can't understand, and something doesn't work:

Under System Profiler my AHCI controller is recognized as "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller", instead of ICH9.

Under "Audio" I can read High Definition Audio Intel, and it seems to work (with iTunes, for example) but when I try to run Youtube videos, after few seconds, the audio turn into a series of "crack" and "pops".

My PCI Wifi card doesn't work.

In system profiler My CPU (C2Duo E6750 2,66 Ghz) is seen as 3 Ghz CPU.

I've followed the guide and made run the iasl compiler under a previous Leopard installation. Is that right?

Do I need to integrate DSDT.aml with something else to create the "right" DSDT for my motherboard? (GA-P35-DS3).

Please, show mw the right way!

Thanks to all.

DSDT.aml.zip

Hi guys.... I've followed step by step the guide included in the pdf "How to patch DSDT with LAN and HDEF functions including LegacyHDA" package.

I have compiled DSDT.aml with iasl and it gave me back 0 errors and 0 warnings, so I've put it into the Extra Folder of my snow leopard installation.

Under System Profiler my AHCI controller is recognized as "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller", instead of ICH9.

Under "Audio" I can read High Definition Audio Intel, and it seems to work (with iTunes, for example) but when I try to run Youtube videos, after few seconds, the audio turn into a series of "crack" and "pops".

I've followed the guide and made run the iasl compiler under a previous Leopard installation. Is that right?

Do I need to integrate DSDT.aml with something else to create the "right" DSDT for my motherboard? (GA-P35-DS3).

Thanks to all.

Try to change your computer model using smbios to MacPro4,1

A: put these kexts into /Extra/Extensions P35_kexts.zip

A: set to be MacPro2,1 or MacPro3,1

A: plug it into the bottom slot if not occupied.

A: I assumed that you installed Chameleon V2. edit smbios.plist. SMmaximalclock = 2666 SMexternalclock = 200 or 333 (this depends on a CPU), for example.

Thanks to all.

Hi Tmongkol. Really really really thanks a lot for your solutions. Here's the result...

Audio issue (crack and pops in youtube) solved editing smbios setting MacPro 2,1 instead of 3,1

PCi Wifi now working, even if it's not positioned to the lower slot, but I've changed, and solved.

Fake 3 Ghz issue solved editing smbios, changing SMaximalclock from 3000 to 2666

In system profiler my SATA Controller is still viewed ad Intel ESB2 AHCI Controller, instead of ICH9.

I put the kext from the package you've attached in your answer into Extra/Extensions. Repair permissions (sudo chmod, chown, touch, etc...) but they doesn't seem to work.

It may be related with a message I can read when I boot in verbose mode that says:

SATA WARNING: identify device checksum not implemented

I must say that it seems just a "make up" issue, All my HD seem to work well.

It may be related to the DSDT I've compiled? When you patch a DSDT, is this procedure influenced by the system you are running into?

Hi tmongkol,

Hi,

I am using the same board (DX58SO) and I am running 10.6.2.

Would you mind and attach your LegacyHDA here or upload elsewhere because I am still on VoodooHDA with issues ?

Thanks

Hi,

I am using the same board (DX58SO) and I am running 10.6.2.

Would you mind and attach your LegacyHDA here or upload elsewhere because I am still on VoodooHDA with issues ?

Thanks

Of course, no problem. Answered to your PM already.

Hi!

I tried to use Legacy ALC 889(not 889a) for Gigabyte P55 '3out2in HDA headphone'...failed :)

I installed LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E.

System Profiler & IORegistryExplorer:

post-530004-1259232966_thumb.png

Subsystem ID are't the same :(

Console message:

Sound assertion ""( kRequestStateMatch == fCodecRequest->state )"" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 3621 goto handler

Sound assertion "0 != executeCodecCommand ( fCodecList[addr], command, &fCodecVendorProductIDArray[addr] )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 2967 goto Exit

Sound assertion ""( kRequestStateMatch == fCodecRequest->state )"" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 3621 goto handler

Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/IOHDAFamily/IOHDACodecDevice.cpp" at line 147 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 == codecListArray" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 126 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 == codecListArray" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 126 goto Exit

ALC889 Dump@Ubantu:

Address: 2

Function Id: 0x1

Subsystem Id: 0x1458a022

c0codec_dump.txt.zip

My machine:

CPU: Intel core i7 860

MB: Gygabyte GA-P55A-UD4

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB

Memory: 2GBx2

My DSDT:dsdt.zip

Please help!!!!

Thanks!

Hi!

I tried to use Legacy ALC 889(not 889a) for Gigabyte P55 '3out2in HDA headphone'...failed ;)

I installed LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E.

System Profiler & IORegistryExplorer:

post-530004-1259232966_thumb.png

Subsystem ID are't the same ;)

Console message:

Sound assertion "0 != executeCodecCommand ( fCodecList[addr], command, &fCodecVendorProductIDArray[addr] )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 2967 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/IOHDAFamily/IOHDACodecDevice.cpp" at line 147 goto Exit

ALC889 Dump@Ubantu:

Address: 2

Function Id: 0x1

Subsystem Id: 0x1458a022

c0codec_dump.txt.zip

My machine:

CPU: Intel core i7 860

MB: Gygabyte GA-P55A-UD4

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB

Memory: 2GBx2

My DSDT:dsdt.zip

Please help!!!!

Thanks!

Thank you for reply and posting GA_ALC889 codec dump. It's similar to Intel's ALC889. I still have no clue. I will try to figure out. Can you use any old AppleHDA.kext (for Leopard 10.5.x) by running at 32bit?

So far GA-P55-UD5 889a is not working, any ideas?

1) Edited DSDT for 889a (see below)

2) Installed LegacyHDA.kext for 889a 4outs2ins HDA headphone in /Extra/Extensions

3) 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext 1.7.9a4

4) No other changes

No audio devices show up at all:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102

Audio ID: 885

Available Devices:

---

Device (HDEF)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Return (Package (0x02)

{

0x0D,

0x05

})

}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x08)

{

"codec-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10

},

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00

},

"device-type",

Buffer (0x10)

{

"Realtek ALC889A"

},

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (One)

{

0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

}

So far GA-P55-UD5 889a is not working, any ideas?

1) Edited DSDT for 889a (see below)

2) Installed LegacyHDA.kext for 889a 4outs2ins HDA headphone in /Extra/Extensions

3) 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext 1.7.9a4

4) No other changes

No audio devices show up at all:

Device ID: 0x1458A102

Audio ID: 885

Available Devices:

Could you post your DSDT, please? Thank you.

I've tried quite a few things over the past 2 weeks, but I can't get my audio to work. I'm using this as a HTPC and I need the optical audio output to work. I have a ga-ep35-ds3r which has the alc889a chip.

These are all the things that I've tried:

I used the voodoohda kext and it gave me audio out with headphones but not optical. I have tried patching the dsdt, using the vanilla AppleHDA kext and LegacyHDA kext at the same time, but the patching doesn't seem to work for me. It tells me there is "No Built-In Audio."

I then gave up on patching the DSDT and opted to try the HDAEnabler, vanilla AppleHDA, and LegacyHDA kexts. Doing this at least displayed some info in system profiler under Audio:

Device ID:	0x1458A002
 Audio ID:	889
 Available Devices:

No available devices though? What do I need to do to get my optical audio out to work? Thanks for the pointers in advance.

Tom

I've tried quite a few things over the past 2 weeks, but I can't get my audio to work. I'm using this as a HTPC and I need the optical audio output to work. I have a ga-ep35-ds3r which has the alc889a chip.

These are all the things that I've tried:

I used the voodoohda kext and it gave me audio out with headphones but not optical. I have tried patching the dsdt, using the vanilla AppleHDA kext and LegacyHDA kext at the same time, but the patching doesn't seem to work for me. It tells me there is "No Built-In Audio."

I then gave up on patching the DSDT and opted to try the HDAEnabler, vanilla AppleHDA, and LegacyHDA kexts. Doing this at least displayed some info in system profiler under Audio:

Device ID:	0x1458A002
 Audio ID:	889
 Available Devices:

No available devices though? What do I need to do to get my optical audio out to work? Thanks for the pointers in advance.

Tom

Please try the one called 885. I am not sure which LegacyHDA.kext you're using.

Did you remove VoodooHDA.kext? If have it, remove it.

tmongkol

Thanks, tomongkol

Thank you for reply and posting GA_ALC889 codec dump. It's similar to Intel's ALC889. I still have no clue. I will try to figure out. Can you use any old AppleHDA.kext (for Leopard 10.5.x) by running at 32bit?

I tested Original_AppleHDA.kext_1.6.2a37.zip and 3out2in LegacyHDA.kext under 32bit mode.

I got error messages:

Sound assertion ""( kRequestStateCORB == fCodecRequest->state ) = CORB engine stuck or response was missing"" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 1819 goto handler

Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/IOHDAFamily/IOHDACodecDevice.cpp" at line 129 goto Exit

but now my ALC889 works well!

Please tell me whicn information you want.

Please try the one called 885. I am not sure which LegacyHDA.kext you're using.

Did you remove VoodooHDA.kext? If have it, remove it.

tmongkol

I spoke too soon. I got it to work this morning with this combination:

HDAEnabler for Legacy 889, vanilla AppleHDA 1.5.7a24, LegacyHDA - 3out2in HDA headphone.

Last night I posted in frustration... I just needed to clear my head and do it right. Sorry... Thanks for the instructions, they worked like a charm once I followed them correctly. :P

Tom

Been following this thread and tried many thing

I am experimenting with SL 10.6.2 with all /S/L/E original apart from R1000.kext for networking - will work on this later

What I have found using layout id of 66 works but not fully also layout ids of 53, 36 and 12 work but not as well

Method I am using now has 2 out + 1 Digital out and 2 in + 1 Digital in - Have not tried the analog ports on this layout id as of yet I am only interested in Digital ( optical ) out

The only problem I get Is that I can only have stereo from the optical out and not 5.1 Like I would like.

I tried all sorts of methods - using layout ID 12 with enablers in E/E I had more inputs and outputs and could get 5.1 through the analog ports but not the digital ( optical ) port

Has anyone got any Idea to get 5.1 via optical I would be very grateful

Thanks in advance

I'm attaching the linux codec dump for my ALC889A.

Here is the HDEF section, thank you for any help!

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x0A)
                       {
                           "built-in", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x01
                           }, 

"codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                            0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10 
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x12)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC8885/9A"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x28)
                           {
                   /* 0000 */    0x10, 0x40, 0x01, 0x01, 0x64, 0x10, 0x01, 0x01, 
                   /* 0008 */    0x71, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x82, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01, 
                   /* 0010 */    0x30, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x01, 0x20, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02, 
                   /* 0018 */    0x40, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x50, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02, 
                   /* 0020 */    0xF0, 0x71, 0x44, 0x01, 0x90, 0x71, 0x45, 0x11
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }