About this Mac

eddie11c

178 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

2lw6l37.jpg

any body knows how I can change the model identifier ?

I have a patch called "Restore_Factory_Desktop_settings" and everytime I installed this, it'd change the model identifier to "mac pro," but for now it's just showing as "Vostro 400" which is the model for my dell computer. The patch didn't reset this part.

is there a way around this ? can I change it manually ?

I tried this : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...system+profiler

but i cannot find the model identifier in there

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The package doesn't seem to work for some reason.. The model (Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz) has been added to the AppleSystemInfo.strings file in place of the unknown CPU, but it still isn't showing up on the About This Mac box.. Just 3.2Ghz Unknown. Any similar problems, solutions?

how to change ram string plz? it shows 533MHz SDRAM instead of 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM.... help plz

Download OSx86Tools by pcwiz (thread in this section), open it up and click on the About This Mac modifier, and you have an option to change what the ram bit says.

• 5 weeks later...

I dont know how to take screenshots yet because i'm only 35 minutes into my MAC OS experience....

...but, mine says....

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz

1GB 400 MHz DDR SDRAM

The actual PC is a HP Compaq DX2000M Midi Tower Desktop - i used Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

• 3 weeks later...
Well after a bit of trial and error I figured I would share my progress here to get more people to test it. This is just an installer that grabs your cpu info and outputs it for the "About this Mac" window. Please try it and report back, I have included support for all languages, so hopefully it works for everyone.

AboutThisMac

AboutThisMac.zip

:) Thankyou

• 3 weeks later...
hey, this will read down name& speed from its microde and nothing more. in my case when i open the about this mac it shows the stock frequency but if i open hardware profiler it reports the real-overclocked speed- as you can see in on the picture below.

so what that program does is read the data and shows it about this mac window, nothing more:)

sorry for missunderstanding Gilou:)

On mine, I just edit the /System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings, and change : "UnknownCPUKind" = "Unknown" to "UnknownCPUKind"= "Intel Core 2 Duo" which is mine. With this About This Mac always shows the correct clock speed, because I overclock my 2.53GHz E7200 to 3.33GHz