9800 GTX working in OSX86

aqua-mac

522 posts in this topic

yea full res is not a problem, and I have not installed Natit or NVinject since install 10.5.2. Also 10.5.3 fixed combo update crashes my system.

10.5.4 ran fine but I had installed it with nvinject and so I removed that, but of course it did not seem to matter. I have followed your steps among others, but I will give it another shot just to make sure.

if this does not work I am repartitioning to MBR and updating to 10.5.4 and actually if it does work I am still repartitioning to MBR because I have found out that SuperDuper! does not like GUID meaning I am unable to restore OSX to a previous state easily...

Strange,

I have been using superduper with GUID for ages and had no problems. You have to manually re-install the boot sector to the clone disk the first time but after that just use smart update.

Strange,

I have been using superduper with GUID for ages and had no problems. You have to manually re-install the boot sector to the clone disk the first time but after that just use smart update.

ah I figured as much... with MBR though I don't have to manually install the boot sector, guess I will look into that, but at the same time I know with MBR that I can partition an NTFS partition along side HFS/+ but I have never tried doing a NTFS partition along side GUID, which is partly why I did GUID to see if I can do a NTFS partition and the fact that GUID should allow for easier resizing of the OSX partitions.

I just realized the post I thought I had posted did not appear lol.

Well after following alex's advice again it did work! Also... now what am I going to do with my $50 8600 GT coming in? o0...

yep, thanks aqua-mac, alex and blanktruth among others!

I even ran an opengl test and had like 1200+ fps on most of it!

Just to clarify I did have to install 10.5.2 kalyway (with chameleon, due to JMicron). Also PCwiz's installer does not work for me.

Another thing I should mention is that I am using Dual monitors (via HDMI adapters, but that does not really matter) and everything has been working fine. Quartz does as expected on both monitors and I am using DejaMenu to help with the lack of a menubar on one monitor and You Control Desktop 1.3 beta to get back the cube effect I miss from VirtueDesktops.

Thanks to many people here i manage to get mine working too on a 10.5.4 Kalyway.

But i have some problems... C&C3 Tiberium Wars hang on a black screen and Tomb Raider Anniversary is terribly slow, juste like my old 7300GT...

Anyone have same problems ?

PS : The games i mentioned are run under OS X.

I managed to get QE/CI supported and hardware accelerated, but I'm getting a huge lag when moving windows. Anyone had this kind of issue? I also can't start a lot of applications. They crash and Leopards asks if I wan't to Retry/Ignore.

Thanks in advance,

Fergo

No problem with launching and using applications here, but a bit lag when using Exposé or Dashboard, and a complete lack of performance when using games. Tomb Raider Anniversary and the unnoficial Cider port of C&C3 Kane's Wrath are just not playable... And for the official release of C&C3 it just hangs on a black screen...

yep, thanks aqua-mac, alex and blanktruth among others!

I even ran an opengl test and had like 1200+ fps on most of it!

Welcome to the 9800 GTX club lol!

...But i have some problems... C&C3 Tiberium Wars hang on a black screen and Tomb Raider Anniversary is terribly slow, juste like my old 7300GT...

Try unmounting other hard disk/partition beside your mac os partition in your system, I know for a fact that Warcraft 3 will cause black screeen if you have other hard disk presented during installtion. If that doesn't work, try a different dvi port.

I managed to get QE/CI supported and hardware accelerated, but I'm getting a huge lag when moving windows. Anyone had this kind of issue? I also can't start a lot of applications. They crash and Leopards asks if I wan't to Retry/Ignore...

What's your system spec, motherboard, cpu, etc?

To zerofil:

This thread is for 9800 GTX not your 9500M GS... there is a big difference between the two...

Yes I know that certainly, I guess I'm a little off topic then. But refering to posts #42 and #43 (page 3) there was a debate upon the fact that it should work with 9500M also (same GPU ?)

So now I think i can say it really doesn't work at all. It said and done.

Guess I have to wait a major update.

Thanks everybody very useful ressources there.

What's your system spec, motherboard, cpu, etc?

XFX GeForce 9800GTX XT

Asus P5K Premium Wi-Fi/AP

2x2GB DDR2 1066Mhz

Intel C2Q Q6600

for all these people who get lags in games/dashboard/moving windows, if you read posts about 8xxx / 9xxx cards you would know that if you change your DVI port it would work.

I did not tried to plug the monitor in the other DVI. I'll try that.

The system is 100% stable. The only issue I have is the lag with the video drivers (but no reboot, crash, etc)

Fergo

I'll chime in as I just bought an XFX 9800GTX and used Aqua-mac's Gfx strings method to get QE/CI (prior to this method, no QE/CI).

The performance on this card in OSX games is not nearly as good as a 3870.

I swapped this card for a 3870, got it to work, went in to Neverwinter Nights 2 (settings were still same from 3870) and the game is crappy...not smooth. When I move mouse around, it jumps from scene to scene not smooth scrolling like with the 3870. I am using the bottom DVI port.

So far not impressed with this card on OSX unless I have a way to "improve" my drivers, or something...?

Any suggestions?

/mdg.

PS. Someone said something about benching...I ran Xbench and to a score of like 330 fps on the graphics portion of the test...I was well into the 400's on the 3870.

I finally got QE enable and real smooth dash board!!!

Thank you so much aqua-mac

picture1gb6.th.pngpicture2ho3.th.pngpicture3ta9.th.png

Hi

Please take a look at this:

345603262_a3GFv-O.png

See the problem? I've got a card two generations older, but test results are almost the same as yours. Either one of us got smth wrong, or both of us, or nVidia is ripping us off with these new cards that bring nothing :) Test inadequacy is very possible too, btw.

Seriously, I've got to this thread and your message trying to find out if an upgrade would bring me some bang for my bucks, this is not any fake or smth. I currently use Kalyway 10.5.1 upgraded to .2. I don't need games, but really need good interface acceleration, primarily for Aperture. Now it works very fine, but you know we all want it better :)

Any ideas?

xbench is a waste of time for comparing graphics cards, the results change depending on resolution how many monitors are attached or whether the day has an "e" in it. It has always been so. If you want to compare open GL performance, you need to use something like openmark or open GL viewer. xbench is convenient, I will say that for it, but compared to what is available on windows it is useless.

If you have a look above alexlyc's open GL viewer is 4145. Try that on a 7600 GT.

I hear you about Xbench...

I am referring to real-world tests...I have a 3870 and an 8600GT...

In OSX, no real world performance improvement (in gameplay on Mac) from 8600GT to 9800GTX (as if the same card). The 3870 has much better - visible with no benching necessary - gameplay performance on any comparable setting.

BTW, the 9800 GTX blows the pants off of the 3870 in Windozem.

What are your thoughts on the Mac side of things? Did I not read far enough into your instructions on getting 9800 GTX working (I do have recognized with QE/CI both enabled/supported)...and is there a newer set of kext's/installation approach that would give better performance?

Thanks for all you have done to help get this card working for us...

/mdg.

xbench is a waste of time for comparing graphics cards, the results change depending on resolution how many monitors are attached or whether the day has an "e" in it. It has always been so. If you want to compare open GL performance, you need to use something like openmark or open GL viewer. xbench is convenient, I will say that for it, but compared to what is available on windows it is useless.

If you have a look above alexlyc's open GL viewer is 4145. Try that on a 7600 GT.

xbench is a waste of time for comparing graphics cards, the results change depending on resolution how many monitors are attached or whether the day has an "e" in it. It has always been so. If you want to compare open GL performance, you need to use something like openmark or open GL viewer.

Oh yeah, OpenGL viewer does indeed show the difference :) Thanks :) Now, still a question remains for me: will an upgrade to 9xxx card bring a real gain in Aperture performance...

Hi mdg,

I am using the standard drivers from 10.5.4 at the moment and have 2 cards installed. It works very smoothly on Doom 3 and Quake but I realize these are pretty old games. Wish I had neverwinternights 2 to test. I have no mouse jumping problems either. It is true to say that ATI cards have always worked well in macs due to the Quality of the drivers & the picture quality was always crisp. However I have found over a period of years the fans on the cards can be noisy and the cards can run hot. It may be that neverwinternights 2 is coded to work better with ATI.

Can you post the score for your ATI 3870 in open GL viewer.

Arsenicson,

I will reinstall Aperture 2 and let you know how it goes.

EDIT:

Aperture works instantly, but this could be down to the Core 2 Quad @ 3.4 GHz or the fact my boot drive is 3 x 1 gig Samsung's in a Stripe Raid.

I tried doing this with an EVGA 9800GTX+ (Which I assumed would work, maybe not) and there's a bunch of horizontal lines that appear on the screen whenever something on the screen changes also Quartz Extreme doesnt work.. and CI is software (Which I think means it's not working as well). However dual-monitors works.... anyone have any ideas?

Hi Aquamac, BlankTruth

Success. I managed to get full QE/CI in my vanilla 10.5.4 Install.

After trawling recent posts for information I came across a new NVinstaller v.52.

I installed it without making any other changes and everything is working great.

Have a go Blanktruth and let me know if it works.