9800 GTX working in OSX86

aqua-mac

522 posts in this topic

Arsenicson,

I will reinstall Aperture 2 and let you know how it goes.

EDIT:

Aperture works instantly, but this could be down to the Core 2 Quad @ 3.4 GHz or the fact my boot drive is 3 x 1 gig Samsung's in a Stripe Raid.

This was very kind of you, thank you.

Stripe RAID should help, i don't have it, but I've got Quad @ 3 GHz, so in terms of processor there should not be a great difference. In fact I'm more interested in interface acceleration. For example, if i apply several different adjustments onto a picture then the Loupe becomes noticeably less than smooth, not really sluggish, but a bit jerky. Did you notice any difference in this respect - 'cos i guess this is exactly what could be improved by a better video card... i can be wrong of course :)

what about games with the 9800GTX? wich games are you playing with this card an how well do they work?

i owne a 7900GTX with asus p5b deluxe mainboard. i have kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.4 with nvinject 0.2.1 running and with the actual hardware many games won`t run as they should. now i list 2 games an the problems:

sauerbraten: game want start with shaders enabled, without there a many graphical bugs, walls are sometimes away and come back

ET:QW: wan`t start

i really don`t know how to fix this. i owne a buyed ET:QW and i really want to play this game on hackintosh. is the nvinject driver for the 7900GTX not good anough for this games? if you know a solution this would be fine!

if there is no solution, i am planing to buy following hardware:

- EVGA e-GeForce 9800 GTX+ (512-P3-E873-AR)

- GA-EP35-DS4 Rev. 2.1

will this be a good combination for a full working leopard with the ability to play actual games like ET:QW? has anybody got this game working with the 9800GTX?

Hey Aquamac -

Based on this thread, I bought a BFG 9800GTX+ from newegg for $199. I followed your GFX Strings guide and I have a fully working graphics system (QE/CI/rotation, etc) on my hackintosh running retail OSX (via the Boot 132 loader method).

Kudos to you for the guide!

Thanks,

Craigolio

... now i list 2 games an the problems:

sauerbraten: game want start with shaders enabled, without there a many graphical bugs, walls are sometimes away and come back

ET:QW: wan`t start

ok, it was my mistake, et:qw works fine with the right nodvd patch (i owne the game ! really! :) )

so the only game wich wont work as it shoud is sauerbraten. all other tried games are working fine with the 7900gtx. but for pushing my FPS in et:qw i will buy now a 9800gtx+. thank you aqua-mac for the great work an thank you craigolio for the good news 9800gt+ is also working! i love this forum! :D

Aquamac: Thanks very much for the help, I now have my BFG 9800 GTX OC 512 meg card working on JAS 10.5.4 with only one notable issue as of yet. Any time I attempt to change resolution it pops up a clean light blue screen and the only way back is to force reboot. It seems to stick to 1280x1024 consistantly.

Otherwise, I'm quite happy in that I just built a nice SSF machine up with a 3ghz C2D, 2 gig ram, 160 gig SATA (testbed) and ASUS P5E-VM HDMI (no i'm not using the onboard video)

Glad it worked for you guys!

Yes, very glad :)

Do you know if there is a fix for being unable to change resolutions? This is a consistent issue, and it doesn't crash, only shows a blue screen. Thanks in advance for any kick in a suitable direction!

** EDIT** I seem to have found at least a partial fix here. I mistakenly added a few lines to the boot.plist relating to resolution and after removing it I am now in native 1400x900. I haven't yet mucked with changing resolutions since it is working.

If you have 10.5.4, you do not need my files. You must retain all the Nvidia kexts in your extensions folder, I never said to delete those unless you were replacing with updated ones. The only file to delete from your extensions folder when using GFX strings is NVInject.

Wayzon,

To fix the white menus in 10.5.2, download and install the kexts in my first post. If you have 10.5.3 or 10.5.4, you should be OK. Which one do you have?

i`ve tried gfx strings methode for hours with 10.5.4 (kalyway 10.5.2 without nvinject install -> graphics update -> 10.5.3 comboupdate by mysticus without nvinject -> 10.5.4 update by mysticus without nvinject) with no success. after my 100 frustrating tries i thought i could try to use the kexts of the first posting, alltough all told us we don`t need them since 10.5.3. then i also deleted all ati kexts of the extension folder. afterwards fixing disk permissions, deleted Extensions.mkext, waited for rebuilding it and rebootet. well, look what the cat dragged in, it works. maybe the problem was i never installed nvinject. or the mysticus updates did somthing wrong. i hope my story helps some others to get this card working!

hi,

I was wondering if someone here could help me out. I've been running my 9800 gtx for a while now with no problems. However, I just tried installing a game (the sims 2...) and the instant I opened the app it crashed. I'm wondering if this is to do with this card as the game is relatively graphically advanced. The other reason I'm suspecting the card is because while qe/ci is reported as working in the system profiler, I've been getting slightly strange graphical glitches (things like bouncing icons and opening/closing windows sometimes seem to shudder a bit) I'm using a gfx string. Any ideas?

As a side note, the rest of my system is running pretty much vanilla, installed with iatkos 2 and updated to 10.5.4. Would a modded smbios help?

EDIT: Ok, so I've now switched problems. The sims 2 thing was due to it not being a universal binary. What's bothering me is an issue other people across the board seem to be having with there hack systems. Whenever I change resolution, the screen either goes blue, or black, and doesn't come back. Interestingly, if I have a hot corner enabled to set display to sleep, using that function to sleep the display and then waking it gives me video again. If anybody knows what is causing this I could really use a solution because this bug makes gaming impossible (can't use hot corners in an rts...)

Try putting your monitors native resolution into your apple.com.boot.plist. Don't know if that will work but I have 1680x1050x32 in mine and have no trouble changing resolutions. I have 2x 9800 GTX's and 3 monitors. Sleep and games work fine.

Thanks for the fast response aqua-mac! What format do I use for inputting that into my .plist?

EDIT: Is this what you were referring to?

To automatically use a certain graphics mode

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32@85</string>

Do I need to specify a refresh rate/did you?

Thanks again for the reply. I tried inputting my max display resolution (1280x1024x32 unfortunately :-( Still having issues with the blue screen when changing resolutions (and on resolution changes for full screen games.) Do you have a custom smbios (would that even effect video?) Perhaps its a bios setting?

Also, I was wondering how that D-Link DWA-140 wireless adapter has been working for you? I've been doing a lot of research on this and I just want to buy something I know I can get working. Do you have to replug on boot?

No you don't have to replug like the crappy old DWL-122. The Ralink control panel does open every time you boot, but you can just quit it and your internet will work once it has found the connection. Have you tried using Scott dangels 10.5.5 NV drivers? That is what I am using and I am finding that they work a treat with this card - a fairly significant speed boost.

They will not work with NVInject or Natit, but work fine with GFX Strings.

Download

Hey,

Thanks for the link and the wireless info! I'm probably going to get that adapter. I'm not on my hackintosh right now but I'll check out that driver package tonight, thanks again! Do you know if it replaces kexts or does it just add drivers and link the card to those? I'm trying to avoid strange upgrade issues when 10.5.5 rolls around...

It ia an installer package that adds kexts. It replaces the ATI & NV drivers to the ones from 10.5.5. These probably won't change now in 10.5.5, but if they do then they will just get upgraded with the update.

Yesss! YEEESSSSSSS! Sorry, after three days of hammering at this I finally got my 9800gtx working with full support. Thanks to aqua-mac, the dude who made the installer, and everyone else in this thread, you all feel like family!

To everyone who is still having trouble - keep at it, look for the various step by step instructions in this thread. The culprit in my case was a reappearing Nvinject file after doing gfx strings.

Thought I'd add that I've also got a BFG 9800 GTX+ OC up and running, used the gfx strings no problem and the Boot-132 method to get 10.5.4 running and it's working well. According to OpenGL Extensions Viewer, I'm running an nVidia 8600 GTS. Is this normal? Or should the computer be thinking I'm on an 8800 GT? The reason I ask is the card seems to be much quicker on the Windows side...especially running heavy 3D apps like X-Plane.

Picture%201.png

System Profiler lists the 9800 GTX+ that I typed in when I did gfx strings.