9800 GTX working in OSX86

aqua-mac

522 posts in this topic

Aquamac, im thinking of building a hackintosh with 9800GTX+.

I was wondering is QE and the interface as responsive on the 9800GTX compared to others?

Also, why is the xbench opengl tests so low for the 9800GTX that concerns me, and make me hesitate if i want to buy the 9800GTX+.

I have a Nvidia 9800GT (is this the same as GTX??) that was working OK with my Aikos 10.5.4 install, but it gave a message at startup the the NVinject would not work and so I followed some old methods for using this card with 10.5.2...from aquamac with the NVIDIA Kexts. This eliminated the NVinject kext error at atrtup, but very slow and no accelleration. Like 4-5 fps on opengl tests. So I finally found the original kexts I saved in a weird place and will attempt to reinstall those with the new NVinject and hope it works. The GFX process seems like alot of work and was unnecessary, but I only get 1680x1050 max resolution and TV is not detected, but I understand that does not work anyway. I have not tried the DVI to TV adapter, but I would like to output video to my TV via S-video with this machine. Anyway, is there a way to get the 10.5.4 kexts for this card so that I do not have to reinstall (this was mentioned in a post but I could not find it), it looks like I did not save all the originals when I was deleting them from the extensions folder. Otherwise thanks for all the great help I just need to learn to read all the way up to the most current info before I go updating things.

PS I have a:

ECS 945GCT/m 1333 MB

Not much time so will have to be brief. It is quite normal for the 9800 GTX to show as 8600 GTS open GL engine as that card has a similar chip. I score over 300 in x bench on mine, although xbench is not a good test in OSX. It has not been updated for years and has no idea of the features available for this type of card. Open GL Viewer is much better and will show what the card is capable of, scoring around 400 points. If you are going to install some kexts, use the 10.5.5 ones that can be downloaded here:

Download

Gfx strings work much better on this card than nvinject.

Hi!

I'm very new at this, I've got a lot of experience with other OS's tho :tomato:

I've started with JaS OSx86 10.5.4 Client Server Intel SSE2 SSE3, and everything is working quite well, except for one problem: white menu's :)

I've tried both the NVKush, and (After deleting NVKush) the EFI string method (from aquamac's post on his forum, and also using the built in one in OSX86Tools).

All of these gave me good support for the car (about mac shows QE etc.), but white menu's.

Any suggestions what more I could try? It would be much appreciated ;)

Cheers!

Hi!

Any ideas as to why my card, a XFX 9800GTX B.E., is overheating in OS X (fullscreen games mostly, AoE3, TR and others so far)?

Thought it might be the now famous nVidia QA problem with some series but it does not overheat in Windows (not even when pushed clockwise). Might this be related to the 9800GTX using the 8600 GTS OpenGL engine? Perhaps setting some clocks wrong or something? Is there some way of finding this info in OS X?

It's an annoying problem since OS X hardlocks when this happens and having a 9800GTX but not being able to game at times just seems... wrong somehow. ;)

Otherwise everything seems fine using EFI strings.

Hi Cetikmind,

Yes my 9800 GTX runs hot in OSX too, but it has never crashed, I am running 2 of them. It seems that the fan runs slow in OSX. It may be that the drivers in OSX are not controlling properly. It may be best if you are having problems, to get an aftermarket fan.

Does anyone have any reason to belive that the ZOTAC 9800GTX will not work on the GA-EP35-DS3L motherboard? I'm currently thinking of getting the ZOTAC 8800GT, but there is a nice deal on newegg right now for the 9800GTX and I would love to grab it. I'm going to order this afternoon if all goes well!

Thanks!

Hi Cetikmind,

Yes my 9800 GTX runs hot in OSX too, but it has never crashed, I am running 2 of them. It seems that the fan runs slow in OSX. It may be that the drivers in OSX are not controlling properly. It may be best if you are having problems, to get an aftermarket fan.

Hi Aquamac,

That's what I thought too. So I figured before I spend more money on a another a/m fan I'll just test it in Windows thoroughly and lo and behold, the thing works without a hitch - even when pushing it in an o/c. If it was only due to heat why doesn't it hang in Windows? It :rolleyes: well should.

No, I think there's something else going on here. And, oh, I tried the 9f23 kexts and they didn't work - just ended up with a black screen and a mouse pointer (I let it hang there for a few minutes too). With the former kexts (pre-10.5.3) I only got white menus so I suppose you need Natit for those.

Anyone else playing i.e. AoE3 without lockups for more then 15 min?

Thanks,

Cm

Edit: Might it be 10.5.4 that's causing something with the graphics drivers? There seems to be a few others having problems on 10.5.4 as well. With the problems I've had so far with sound and others too even Vista is starting to look more user-friendly (please accept my apology for cursing). :angel:

I'm writing another post since this might be a little lengthy...

Sometimes gut feelings are a very good thing. Apparently many of the 9800GTX series have a BIOS flaw concerning the fan and the cooling temperatures (search for 9800GTX, BIOS, fan and overheating on google) which results in the card actually lowering the fan speed when the card reaches a certain temperature. The climbing temp then races off resulting in a big overheat.

Stupid, no? Try idiotic! Some engineer (or all of them) at nVidia had a massive brainfart when writing the BIOS for these cards. nVidia is aware of the problem according to some, but as usual they say nothing about it - surprise, huh? More so since the G84/G86 scandal... :):fiery:

Nibitor is (as of the current version) of no use (yet) since M & c:o haven't found out where the fan speed control is located in the BIOS - if it even is in the BIOS.

So the thing to do here, as aquamac suggested, is to really get an aftermarket fan for 9800GTX or to mod the stock fan by removing the lead for speedcontrol. Get something for protection of your hearing though since it screams like a jet at 100% <- this is one thing that made me suspicious from the start, my card didn't scream in OS X/x86...

And guess why it didn't overheat in Windows? Apparently nVidia incorporated a fix in some newer versions of the drivers (only in officially released ones from what I've read so far) instead of fixing the BIOS... tah dah, problem solved according to them. ;)

If the fix is applied to the Linux drivers I wouldn't know since I haven't tried it with this card and sure as h**l nVidia is keeping their gob shut.

Hope this helps someone else having the same problem as me. My card worked fine at first, but started acting up, getting some artifacts etc. after a few days. The desktop works fine but if you're suspicious then run some heavy game on full detail and if it hangs your box you know one of the things to do and why.

After 25 years with computers I always feel safer when I know 'why'. ;)

Thanks,

Cm

My next card won't be nVidia. That's for sure.

Update: With an Arctic Cooling S1 Rev. 2 and a low speed fan my XFX 9800GTX Black Ed. now idles @ low ~41-43 C and load @ ~70-72 C and I can't hear the thing and finally every thing is working. There was way more cooling paste on the original hsf than should be needed... try 3-4mm thick on the GPU itself!!! So it might have worked just as good remounting the darn thing with some Arctic Silver.

The PSU on the other hand, which stands for the exhaust I can definetly hear but that's for another topic, another time. ;)

Anyway, that's my small contribution to the very useful knowledgebank known as InsanelyMac.

this drivers also good for 9800GT as for 9800GTX?

i think there the same GPU.

maybe somebody try 9800GT with it?

i need to upgrade tomorrow & 9800 GT good for me, but i don't know will it work under osx.

help me make a right choice, please.

Fabulous info, celticmind, very much as I suspected. That is why it works better in windows. Maybe the answer is to connect the stock fan to the motherboard, mine can be controlled by the bios. I cannot believe NVidia did not release a bios update, that is scandalous!!!

antex,

If your proposed 9800 GT has a G92 chip then it should work.

10.5.4 (iDeneb)

9800GFX (PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0612&SUBSYS_057710DE&REV_A2\4&242DC0F1&0&0008)

Install this

Download these Kexts:

WITH 10.5.3 THERE IS NO NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE KEXTS BELOW!

http://rapidshare.com/files/106584355/aquamac.zip.html

and this version of NVInject:

Click Here

after

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0612

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 0x00981

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

Pls help!

Yep, mine does the same thing:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0612

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3172a

Displays:

Acer AL2216W:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

I have 9800 GTX+, but I don't think that "+" makes any difference. It'd be great if you can help me out. I did everything twice to make sure that I didn't miss something... Please help!

Thanks.

Aquamac,

Yeah... nVidia seems to favor scandals these days. :D

Anyway, connecting it to the motherboard should be ok providing you can connect/relate the sensor and the fan in bios. My Gigabyte G33M-DS2R couldn't do this. Oh, I never thanked you for your info, it's what got me started on this so thank you!

And the 9f23 drivers works perfectly when I replaced the OpenGL.framework. So, I'm one happy camper for now (unless nVidia comes knocking on my door). :D

Vlad1966,

I couldn't find any info on which manufacturers or models are affected since nVidia is keeping this hush-hush but my guess would be yes. If you're having similar problems to mine I suggest you follow aquamac's idea and replace the fan. Tricky with all the small heatsink pieces but it works wonders for temps as you can see in my previous post.

Cm.

Guys,

Firstly, do you have EFI VERSION 8 OR Chameleon installed. This is a minimum requirement.

Secondly, Have you double checked your Extensions folder to make sure NVInject or Natit have gone. It will not work with either in place.

Thirdly, you need a minimum of 10.5.2 WITH THE APPLE GRAPHICS UPDATE INSTALLED. Anything less will not work. This minimum will get you

to have blank white menus, but they can be fixed at a later date.

Did you delete Extensions.mkext from your System/Library folder, then waited for it to rebuild. You will want to do this and boot with the -f flag.

Guys,

Firstly, do you have EFI VERSION 8 OR Chameleon installed. This is a minimum requirement.

Secondly, Have you double checked your Extensions folder to make sure NVInject or Natit have gone. It will not work with either in place.

Thirdly, you need a minimum of 10.5.2 WITH THE APPLE GRAPHICS UPDATE INSTALLED. Anything less will not work. This minimum will get you

to have black white menus, but they can be fixed at a later date.

Did you delete Extensions.mkext from your System/Library folder, then waited for it to rebuild. You will want to do this and boot with the -f flag.

Actually,

I have it installed using MBR, so EFI v8 is not doable. I'll try Chameleon and reply. Thx =).

Guys,

to have black white menus, but they can be fixed at a later date.

Actually,

I have it installed using MBR, so EFI v8 is not doable. I'll try Chameleon and reply. Thx =).

Thank you, aqua-mac! EFI strings working with BFG 9800GTX+ running iDeneb 1.1 10.5.4

I'm using EFIv8 at the moment. Any advantage using Chameleon?

celticmind: Thanks for the info on the fan speed. I have noticed that this happens in Linux also, so I removed the blue wire from the fan plug and taped it up incase I ever have to RMA it. I noticed that it got so hot that the stickers on the heatsink have peeled off! The sound from the GFX fan is nothing compared to my CPU fan.