9800 GTX working in OSX86

aqua-mac

522 posts in this topic

Guys, What should I do to get the quartz show supported.

I try so far the GFX string but still showing

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

I want to install efi v8 but do I need it, I have the Jas 10.54 client version install now. Also by following the instruction on installing EFI v8, Do I loose the info on my hard drive after installing the EFI or this is just patch update.

Another thing is the new 10.5.5 update will fix this problem, hurt or does nothing...

Guys, What should I do to get the quartz show supported.

I try so far the GFX string but still showing

I want to install efi v8 but do I need it, I have the Jas 10.54 client version install now. Also by following the instruction on installing EFI v8, Do I loose the info on my hard drive after installing the EFI or this is just patch update.

Another thing is the new 10.5.5 update will fix this problem, hurt or does nothing...

Download osx86tools and use this to installe Chameleon. The EFI strings do not work without it or EFIv8. You won't lose any hard disk when installing it - promise!

Anybody notice this after installing 10.5.5:

According to OpenGL Extensions Viewer, my renderer has changed from NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS Engine to NVIDIA GeForce Pre-Release Unknown OpenGL Engine. Available OGL 3.0 functions increased from 3 to 12 of 21, and the OGL 2.1 now gives me a mandelbrot image on the cube instead of lines. As a quick check, OpenMark went from 29000 or so to 37000 or so following the update. Using the BFG 9800 GTX+ OC.

after 10.5.5 update QE/CI won`t work. i`ve updated with mysticus pre and post patch. using 9.5.0 vanilla kernel.i`ve tried severel things, to get QE/CI back. i reverted all GeForce* and NVDA* kexts from my backup, i`ve tried the kexts from aquamac, i deleted all IntelGMA* and ATI* kexts and i installed the new OpenGL.framework 10.5.5_9f23 from nvinstaller. nothing helped. what did i wrong? how did you update to 10.5.5? maybe the 9.5.0 vanilla kernel is the reason? for hardware informations look @ signature. would be nice, if anybody could help me. :(

post-61173-1222103317_thumb.jpg

chameleon efi & strings. the methode you posted in this thread. com.apple.Boot.plist is the same like befor update. sfx string works. gfx string should also work, in the attachment you can see the model name and 512mb. this wouldn`t appear whithout a working string.

The only thing I can suggest is to update with the apple 600 meg Combo update as I did. It is much easier if you have another drive you can boot from, then you can remove AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext at your leisure and swap kexts, repair permissions. I have upgraded a number of hacks this way and not had a problem.

I wish you luck. :lol:

PS, I am using Vanilla kernel also - so that cannot be it.

same issue here, no way to get QE/CI with my 8800GTX since I've updated to 10.5.5

and yeah, no injectors, proper GFX String, everything done correctly.

edit: will try doing the update with the 600meg file this time instead of the 300mb one.

post-149830-1222111502_thumb.png

same issue here, no way to get QE/CI with my 8800GTX since I've updated to 10.5.5

and yeah, no injectors, proper GFX String, everything done correctly.

edit: will try doing the update with the 600meg file this time instead of the 300mb one.

i`ve also did the update with the 600mb combo update. i think this is not the solution.

i don`t want to do a fresh install. :(:)

has anybody the 9800gtx+ (plus!) with working QE/CI in 10.5.5?

i tried it with chameleon, gfx strings and the mysticus pre and post patch + 10.5.5 600mb combo update without success.

for testing i`ve did a fresh install:

-> kalyway 10.5.2 -> chameleon efi, gfx strings for my card

-> leo graphix update

-> 10.5.3 combo by mysticus -> aquamacs kexts for 9800gtx -> working QE/CI

-> 10.5.5 with pre & post patch by mysticus -> no working QE/CI

if i try to revert to my old GeF* and NVDA* kexts, my system won`t boot.

since 10.5.3 my card only works with the kexts of aquas first post. whithout this kexts 10.5.3 would not boot. is this behavour normal? or could it be, that the 9800gtx+ only works with aquamacs kexts?

please, help me. :)

Hello aqua-mac,

I have a problem, I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on my System (dual boot with Vista) and after the installation I had the white menu problem, so I downloaded your .kext files and copied all in the extensions folder and run the permissions command. After reboot I saw that the hite menu problem was away...But when I looked in my system profiler I saw that Quartz Extreme is unsupported. I read a lot of posts here but I can't really understand them, so I hope that you can write me a easy instruction for that.

My System:

MSI P6N SLI-FI

Intel Core 2 Quad Q 6600

Zotac Geforce 9800 GTX Amp!

I think you didn't need the other parts of m system...

System profiler:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0612

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 0x00981

Displays:

L204wt:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Display Connector:

I hope you can help me with my problem..!

Can I get a quick yes/no on whether 9800GTX+ works properly with QE/CI supported? I want to upgrade my 7800GTX to this card, and I installed using Kalyway 10.5.2, and now running 10.5.5 w/ 9f23 drivers.

As far as I understand the 9800GTX+ is also based on the G92 so there should be no problems in OS X right?

Thank you. I hope to make my new video card purchase today.

On my desktop fresh install Iatkos 4i on my USB external hardrive (WD) First boot 1024x1280 no resolution change no dual display. After using GFX string and add device id in NVDAResman.kext and NVDANV50hal.kext dual display support and resolution change on both monitor. No NVinject.kext and Natit in Extension folder. But still no QE support.

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL:

ROM Revision: 3172a

Displays:

DELL 2408WFP:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Philips 170B4:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Still waiting for a solution...

motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3, videocard: Jetway 9800GTX (dual DVI)

On my desktop fresh install Iatkos 4i on my USB external hardrive (WD) First boot 1024x1280 no resolution change no dual display. After using GFX string and add device id in NVDAResman.kext and NVDANV50hal.kext dual display support and resolution change on both monitor. No NVinject.kext and Natit in Extension folder. But still no QE support.

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL:

ROM Revision: 3172a

Displays:

DELL 2408WFP:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Philips 170B4:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Still waiting for a solution...

motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3, videocard: Jetway 9800GTX (dual DVI)

i have the same problem. tried realy all what i found in this forum. i also did a clean fresh install. this is realy annoying that other people with the same card had success but our won`t work.

i got QE/CI working! :D

yeah! i got QE/CI working! but not with this update methode. the methode i choosed worked for my hardware, so don`t think this would be the solution for everyone with lost QE/CI!

what i did:

-kalyway 10.5.2 install

-leopard graphics update

-chameleon and my old backuped boot.plist with efi strings for audio and gfx

-aqua-macs kexts (only needed specialy for my graphic card, look at sig wich one)

-mysticus 10.5.3 update, after install desktop won`t appear whithout installing aqua-macs kexts again

-10.5.4 update from apple

-10.5.5 update 316mb, not the combo!!! installed manualy by netkas methode

-reverted to audio and network kexts from 10.5.4, installed some kexts for specialy my mainboard from this post

-shutdown fix (can`t find link, but it`s somewhere here in the forum posted)

essentialy for me was to do not the combo update and to do it with the netkas methode to get QE/CI working. all other methodes i found in this forum didn`t work for my system/hardware.

@mysticus: although your methode did not work for me i want to say thank you for the time you tried to help me! :)

what is working:

-QE/CI

-audio

-network

-sleep

-restart/reboot

-shutdown

what doesn`t work:

-shutdown after sleep

the only strange thing is that my model name/identifier is now "iMac7,1". other modified smbios with macpro hardcoded did not change this. but hey, this is only a aesthetic problem.^^

Hi Aqua-Mac.

I have been reading about your great work.

Unfortunately I had bought my Asus En9600GT before I realised the issues with Mac.

Is there a workout - or do you recommend to switch it to 9800 GTX.

Keep up the good work!

KIM

:(

No worries, glad it worked!

OK, I got my Inno3D 9800GTX+. I just took out the 7800GTX and put it in and to my surprise I can still boot into Mac OS X just fine - it just recognizes it as a 7800GTX.

My question: Do I risk damage to my card by leaving it like this? What other disadvantages are there to leaving it as is - I assume I wouldn't get the full 3D speed benefits, but if I don't play any games in OS X I wouldn't be missing too much, correct? Just don't want to risk a perfectly working 10.5.5 installation in order to upgrade the video drivers :(

post-288999-1222610998_thumb.jpg