9800 GTX working in OSX86

aqua-mac

522 posts in this topic

thanks aqua-mac... I'm on the fence about whether or not to give it a go. Really don't want to mess up my system (again)!

I followed these 10.5.5 installations and it looks like I used the 9f23 installer for my 7800GTX.

What do I need to do prior to following your guide?

Is a full backup using superduper needed?

Again a fresh install (panic after @mysticus methode) now with NVinject dual display support and resolution change no QE.

I thought maybe ad device-id in nvinject. :D:( no resolution change and no dual monitor support resolution at 1024x768.

#$@#$#%#@. :D:( Delete NVinject.

Looking in Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD \Installation\Packages\Patches I saw a file named NATIT_gfnvidia_NATIT_gfnvidia.pkg. Hmmm why not.

Double click on the file, install etc. Reboot the computer and guess what... :D:P

Unknown nVidia:

Chipset Model: Unknown nVidia

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0612

Revision ID: 0x00a2

Displays:

DELL 2408WFP:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Philips 170B4:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

now a solution for

Chipset Model: Unknown nVidia

and

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

videocard Jetway 9800GTX 512 MB

Hi,

I've noticed strange thing with performance of my geforce 9800GTX. OpenGL extensions viewer V2 in windows XP gives me results of the tests around 3600 fps. Tests I've done with 10.5.2 with graphic update 1 (same version of opengl extension viewer as in XP) shows around 1100 fps. All updates starting with 10.5.3 up to 10.5.5 decreased performance to around 730 fps. When i reinstalled graphic update 1 on top of 10.5.5 performance returned back to around 1100 fps.

I've also noticed that most of people with same graphic card is getting around 3600fps in their tests. I even tried with sleep of the monitor as it helped with my laptop and geforce8600.

I am using GFX string and no injectors.

Any suggestions?

Forget aboutprevious post...silly me i've used opengl extension viewer V2 and with newest version 3 frames are OK :)

ogltest.tiff

profile.tiff

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.2

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Display Connector:

:wacko: Use http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=125106

posted this in the dual card thread, but no one is responding:

when trying to run dual 9800 GT Superclocked's with GFX strings i get no QE/CI. found out its because there were no Nvidia kexts installed. no GeForce.kext etc. so i went and installed all those from the aquamac.zip from this thread, rebooted, and now my install gives me the "you need to restart your computer" just before it switched from the spinning apple logo to the blue screen before the desktop appears. so i rebooted to -v and the whole computer locks up right before it normally boots to the blue screen. hangs at this:

IOKitWaitQuiet() timed out waiting to write kernel symbols

NforceATA: found 0 units

any idea what could be wrong? how to fix it? maybe the 9800 GT doesnt use the G92 but the 9800 GTX does?

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.2

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Display Connector:

:thumbsup_anim: Use http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=125106

Hey mate I tried to use that but I ended up getting the invisible menus problem. Any idea why?

Hi Macgirl,

Well, I have not tried this, but I recon it may well be possible. This is the way it would work.

The 64 kb rom chip would need to be changed to a 128 kb chip for starters on the card (unless by some miracle your PC card has a 128 kb chip as std). Always worth checking in NVFlash.

Then you would need to obtain the MAC 8800 GT rom saved from a genuine mac card. You may be able to leave the device id at 0611, but it would most likely need to be softstrapped to 0612. This is fairly straight forward, but the device id would have to be changed in both the early part of the rom and the EFI part (further down). I do not have the genuine 8800 GT mac roms or otherwise I would be happy to look at this for you.

Well, when I tried a 8800 GTX in an early mac pro, it would not chime. I'm not sure if this was down to the fact that the firmware is not the latest like the new mac pro's, (mine was a dual 3 gig quad core). This was with a 7300 GT (original card) in the first slot.

Hi Macgirl,

Well, I have not tried this, but I recon it may well be possible. This is the way it would work.

The 64 kb rom chip would need to be changed to a 128 kb chip for starters on the card (unless by some miracle your PC card has a 128 kb chip as std). Always worth checking in NVFlash.

Then you would need to obtain the MAC 8800 GT rom saved from a genuine mac card. You may be able to leave the device id at 0611, but it would most likely need to be softstrapped to 0612. This is fairly straight forward, but the device id would have to be changed in both the early part of the rom and the EFI part (further down). I do not have the genuine 8800 GT mac roms or otherwise I would be happy to look at this for you.

I have no experience in this method, as I haven't tried it, but I found this forum interesting reading.

http://forums.hexus.net/apple-mac/133400-m...-flash-mod.html

cheers

Aquamac, I've tried your method http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=509 using Kalyway 10.5.2. But after reboot, it's freezing like all other solutions I've tried. Then, i've read your present post on 9800gtx working, but I don't understand how to do correctly. Can you tell me step by step what to do after leo installation?

Thanks for your time!