9800 GTX working in OSX86

aqua-mac

522 posts in this topic

Well, I certainly think it is, depending on whether you game or not. If you want games like Quake and Doom to play fluidly on a hackintosh at full settings. Shame there are not a few more games out there to give this card a decent workout. Of course I would think gamers will be dual booting XP or (arggh) vista and will have the benefit of not having to swap out cards.

I installed the 9800 kext you provided with kext helper and did a repair disk permission using disk utlilty. I got the menu working, but my dash board animation is really sluggish, QE is not supported in system profile too. What gives?

picture1jc9.png

picture1jc9.554221ad6b.jpg

I am using NVInject (NVinstaller .41), I am trying your suggestion but I am stuck @ "./gfxutil -i xml -o hex ./in.plist ./out.hex", the error said "./gfxutil: invalid property list xml inputfile './in.plist'!"

My bad, I misname the plist file... Now I edited the com.apple.boot.plist file. I know it has taken effect because my grey apple loading screen is now at 1920x1200 resolution, but my QE is still not supported in system profiler and my dash board is still no good.

Please tell me what I did wrong:

1. edited com.apple.boot.plist with the generated hex string

2. delete the old kexts

3. installed all the kexts and NVInject.kext from 1st page

4. repair disk permission command

5. delete Extensions.mkext

6. reboot

Are you using GFX Strings or NVInject. I suggest you use GFX strings. The Instructions are here:

Click Here

I'm having the same problem as Alex (QE reading as not supported and sluggish dash)... I'm also hilariously new at this. I tried the GFX strings thing and it didn't help.

Check also to see if you have Natit, if you do delete that. As macbrush says go to your system/liobrary folder and delete Extensions.mkext, then wait 15 secs for it to rebuild and reboot!

Thank you Aqua-mac.

I followed your instructions for GFX Strings and right now am running at full resolution (including grey Apple loading screen) and QE enabled. Unfortunately I am having issues with white menus. This is a fresh OS install, without Natit or Nvinject. I ran /movevideodrivers command for ATI and IntelGMA (Geforce drivers are untouched). I have also tried deleting Extensions.mkext and repairing permissions, but so far nothing has proved effective.

My system specs:

Asus P5B-E

Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6850 (running at stock speed)

8 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-6400

BGF Nvidia Geforce 9800GTX OC

320GB Western Digital SATA

Kalyway 10.5.2, running Vanilla

System Profiler:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0612

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 0x0981

Displays:

FPD2275W:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Do you any ideas to what could be wrong? Again, I appreciate your help with this.

Download and replace your nvidia kexts from the first post or use the link below and your white menus will be cured.

http://rapidshare.com/files/106584355/aquamac.zip.html%22%22

Don't forget to repair your permissions, use this (double click it and enter your password) and let it run for some time - ignore the spurious warning and just leave it. Then reboot.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=25290

any way to mod this for a 9600GT?

i had to kill a previous triple boot setup with Ubuntu/OS X/XPx64, but i didn't delete the OS X partition in the hopes there would be a way to fix it so i could just boot into it. i still have my old graphics card.

what would happen if i booted with both cards installed (old and new)?

If you used the search function, you would know there is no way to make 9600GT work.

It uses a G94 chip which isn't supported in Apple drivers for now.

10.5.3 doesn't either.

10.5.4 maybe ? It will be a long wait !

any way to mod this for a 9600GT?

i had to kill a previous triple boot setup with Ubuntu/OS X/XPx64, but i didn't delete the OS X partition in the hopes there would be a way to fix it so i could just boot into it. i still have my old graphics card.

what would happen if i booted with both cards installed (old and new)?

Check also to see if you have Natit, if you do delete that. As macbrush says go to your system/liobrary folder and delete Extensions.mkext, then wait 15 secs for it to rebuild and reboot!

There's no natit I am sure, I deleted extensions.mkext and waited for it to rebuid, but QE still not supported. Any more suggestions?

I'm making an installer for this, anyone interested in beta testing? I don't have a 9800GTX so I have no way to test it but I'll do my best :)

EDIT: As promised, here is the installer:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=104282

Tried but not working for me, maybe I need to reinstall my os and start from fresh.