The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread - Leopard!

antaholics

703 posts in this topic

Hi all, i've been reading the forum for a while, but this is my first post. First of all, great guide, it cleared up many doubts i had. I'm not new to installing operation systems other than Windblows...(lots of linux distros...) and don't get freaked out easily just cos i have to open a terminal LOL ;) ....

Anyway...Mac OS X is totally new to me, and although it is very linux like, it has some different folder structures, etc...so i'm just starting to learn....

I followed instructions here and got kalyway 10.5.2 installed on my asus laptop. (What a beautiful OS!). It's an F3T with a turion x2, 2gb of ram and a go7600. Nforce chipset, 6100 i think.

It installs fine, and even runs on 2 cores. (at least it says on hardware info and geekbench score pretty much confirms it), Geekbench score is higher than in XP :) . The problem are the usb ports and sound (it has a ALC660). Card reader and integrated cam don't work but are less of an issue and maybe it can be fixed too.

I still haven't tried to solve the sound problem, i'll try to follow the instructions and see if i can get it to work. But i tried to make usb work (usb mouse works if i start the laptop with the mouse pluged in) and I couldn't. I replaced the wrong version kext that dindt match the kernel, i reinstalled and ticked out PCGenUSB...but no luck. I always installed with sleep kernel and AMD patch1.

Anyone here with an F3T or similar chipset has got these things to work?. I guess my laptop is sort of compatible; It installs and runs fine.

I downloaded iDeneb 1.3 and will burn it and try that one also...do you think i've got more chances with that one?. Right now i'm back on xp. I created a separate partition so I can install it there. To enable dual boot what i got to do is set the Mac OS partition active and then install it there?.

Thanks!

Hi!

I have Asus F3Tc notebook. USB problem I solved with PCGenUSBEHCI.kext It makes USB 2.0 work but disables USB 1.1 So I got USB 2.0 hub and plug mouse to it. It works this way. Also you can get USB working by disabling USB 2.0 interface in BIOS - Interface Security. But you'll get USB 1.1 speed.

As for sound: I use Apple Azalia kext and it works. As for sound lags during playback I think it's a wrong timing problem or something about this. I can see it even during Mac OS installation. Progress bar and mouse cursor often stop until I drug the mouse.

Guest undefined

I seem to get a problem with sleep. When Bluetooth is enabled and I try to make my Asus go sleep, it sleeps and instantly wakes up. It's all fine after it wakes up then, and I can normally sleep afterwards. Anybody got the same thing? Know any solutions?

Oh, and BTW, after installing new wireless card I have absolutely fully functioning OS X machine. Well, except camera, but I don't really use it.

I seem to get a problem with sleep. When Bluetooth is enabled and I try to make my Asus go sleep, it sleeps and instantly wakes up. It's all fine after it wakes up then, and I can normally sleep afterwards. Anybody got the same thing? Know any solutions?

Oh, and BTW, after installing new wireless card I have absolutely fully functioning OS X machine. Well, except camera, but I don't really use it.

Wow!

How do you sleep this notebook? I could never use sleep yet!

What kernel / os version are you using?

I'm using 10.5.6 with vanilla kernel, the trick is pcefi v9 or newest chameleon with dsdt patching. Find it here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133683

If I understand right, I have to install newest chameleon with the installer program, then overwrite the /boot file with the pciefi v9?

After that I have to copy the dsdt created file in the root dir?

I have Kalyway 10.5.2 originally installed.

Thanks!

--EDIT:

It worked!

Step 1: install chameleon

Step 2: overwrite /boot file with pcefi9

Step 3: generate dsdt.aml

Step 4: copy dsdt.aml to /

And now my Asus can SLEEP with OSX. Yeah! :D

THANK YOU :unsure:

Guest undefined

I'm glad I helped :thumbsup_anim:

but fix your signature, it says: "Sleep function WORKS (with Chameleon+PCEFI9+DSDT patcher)!!!"

and you cant' use chameleon with pcefi, so get rid of pcefi :censored2:

but fix your signature, it says: "Sleep function WORKS (with Chameleon+PCEFI9+DSDT patcher)!!!"

and you cant' use chameleon with pcefi, so get rid of pcefi :P

oops..Okay :)

Also, I have another problem. With the new, fixed ALC660 kexts I have working everything, but if there is not any audio for about a minute, the sound card switches off or something.. i think this because when there is any sound after the 1 min silence, it begins with a very loud 'click' on the speakers. Can I fix this somehow?

Congrats. Everything working?

Even the Ricoh card reader?

Webcam isn't really needed, just a question of pride in having a fully operational Battle Station.. ups, I mean OSX System. :huh:

Hello everyone, I've got an Asus F3SV-B1 which will not sleep. I've tried Slice's USB fixes, DSDT patching, Superhai's EHCI fix,using SmartSleep to modify the sleep states, etc...(following various methods in this thread) but no luck. If I remove IOUSBFamily.kext then I can sleep and hibernate no problem, so I know it is related to USB. For those of you who have it working, can you provide a step by step guide of what you did, listing all the kexts/files that you installed/modified? I must be missing something...

Thank you, and thanks to all those who contribute to this project.

Hello

I have an asus f3sg

core 2 duo t8100

GM965 chipset

3GB of ram

250gb

nvidia 9300Mgo

. Someone can tell me how to configure the ideneb1.3 to work and in particular the Core 2 Duo that is not recognized

its my configuration:(2 cores don´t recognized)

chipset viaSB

Kernel 9.4 XNU

ApplesmBIos 667

acpi fix

Cpus=1 fix

nvinject 0.2.1+256

thanks

Yeah that's true, they say that snow leopard will have new framebuffer, so there's a little chance to get it working

The best thing would be to get a working solution now. Later on, with SL, you'd have a lot more chances.

Dear All,

I know that probably I will be kicked of this thread immediaetely but I am completely newbie and don't know where to ask, so forgive me :)

I have Asus F2JE (unfortunately not F3) laptop and could not find any tips on how to get Leopard work on my machine :(

I tried to install iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 and iPC 10.5.6 checking in the installer my configuration (ICHX, ATI X1000 series, etc.) but after instalation the computer keeps rebooting every few seconds (-v is useles; I can see some lines flying but I cannot read so fast ;) ).

I am not an expert in computers so I don't know where to start with :( There is no guide on how to make Leopard working on the very machine...

Could you help me how to start? Which fixes to check during instalation make it work? I read all the guides available and was trying to follow them step-by-step choosing only the hardware I have...but without success...finaly...everybody was a newbie...some time ago ;)

Thank you in advance!

Kensei

I googled one guy who did make Leo work on F2J, but the site is in....chinese :(

Thank you! I works :) at least partially... I can see Lepard system finally..

I had to use Natit as my card is ATI X1450 and when I marked patch for X100 series it didn't work.

What is strange is wi-fi. I have Intel Pro 3945. When i used some console utility to check if it's workin I could easily detect my home wifi network, however the tool was not equiped with any configuration part and as I am using fix IPs I could not connect. Of course Airport could not see the device :)

As I understand to have Lor run on two cores I would need special BIOS right?

Thanks!

Kensei

according to Asus, the F2J model has:

Mobility™ Radeon® X1600 - 128 MB

built-in Bluetooth® V2.0+EDR

Intel Core Duo T2300E 1,6GHz processor, 667 MHz FSB

1024MB (2x512) DDR2 RAM

Mobile Intel® 945 PM Express Chipset

Intel High Definition audio modem and 10/100 Base T

I don't know which sound codec it is equiped with.

So, it should work without major problems with one of the patched DVDs. try, when installing, to choose the voodoo kernel, Intel IChx chipset, no sound and no video drivers. Boot with options: -v -f cpu=1