The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread - Leopard!

antaholics

703 posts in this topic

jjduro, thanks again! :) but I already used that patch ;) without patch sometimes card tries to search for network, but after patch card always apears as "off". Maybe card dead :/ (bought new card from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...m=350127545695)

P.S.

one strange thing about that card, card marked as BCM94321 but system (both MacOS and vista) sees card as BCM4328

try it on windows XP...

Hi all, i've been reading the forum for a while, but this is my first post. First of all, great guide, it cleared up many doubts i had. I'm not new to installing operation systems other than Windblows...(lots of linux distros...) and don't get freaked out easily just cos i have to open a terminal LOL :( ....

Anyway...Mac OS X is totally new to me, and although it is very linux like, it has some different folder structures, etc...so i'm just starting to learn....

I followed instructions here and got kalyway 10.5.2 installed on my asus laptop. (What a beautiful OS!). It's an F3T with a turion x2, 2gb of ram and a go7600. Nforce chipset, 6100 i think.

It installs fine, and even runs on 2 cores. (at least it says on hardware info and geekbench score pretty much confirms it), Geekbench score is higher than in XP :P. The problem are the usb ports and sound (it has a ALC660). Card reader and integrated cam don't work but are less of an issue and maybe it can be fixed too.

I still haven't tried to solve the sound problem, i'll try to follow the instructions and see if i can get it to work. But i tried to make usb work (usb mouse works if i start the laptop with the mouse pluged in) and I couldn't. I replaced the wrong version kext that dindt match the kernel, i reinstalled and ticked out PCGenUSB...but no luck. I always installed with sleep kernel and AMD patch1.

Anyone here with an F3T or similar chipset has got these things to work?. I guess my laptop is sort of compatible; It installs and runs fine.

I downloaded iDeneb 1.3 and will burn it and try that one also...do you think i've got more chances with that one?. Right now i'm back on xp. I created a separate partition so I can install it there. To enable dual boot what i got to do is set the Mac OS partition active and then install it there?.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I have an Asus F3jm and am running iDeneb 10.5.5

Does anyone have qe running with the 7600go (512mb). I have tryed a dodgy efi string (used 7600gt 512mb string and changed the name) and nvinjectgo and laptopinsall(I think that's what it was called). Anyone got a good method to get this card working on 10.5.5?

I hear that the drivers for 3945 are going to be a fair while off. What's a good Wifi card that works with the airport icon (and encrypted networks)?

Thanks

I hear that the drivers for 3945 are going to be a fair while off. What's a good Wifi card that works with the airport icon (and encrypted networks)?

Thanks

Any Broadcom 43xx, with a PCI-e socket or Atheros Chipset and same socket. Usualy, on ebay they are listed as Airport Cards :(

Hi there!

Did any of you try to install 4gb (2x2GB) of RAM on F3Jc?

I'm Considering it but don't know if it will read pieces of 2gb.

In Asus customer care they told me that in specification it shows 2gb (2x1GB) but I found some opinions that it reads 2+1

Now I don't know what to do. It's possible now to get RAM very cheap.

I'm considering also changing HDD to new WD but its sATA 300, and I don't know if it will work as well.

Yes, but I wonder if my notebook will read 2gb pieces of RAM

On ASUS site it says that it can be upgraded to 2gb of RAM (2 pieces of 1gb), but I found some opinions that it will read more than that and that's why I wonder if anybody of you upgraded F3jc to 3 or 4GB of RAM

Merry Christmas!;)

Hi there!

Did any of you try to install 4gb (2x2GB) of RAM on F3Jc?

I'm Considering it but don't know if it will read pieces of 2gb.

In Asus customer care they told me that in specification it shows 2gb (2x1GB) but I found some opinions that it reads 2+1

Now I don't know what to do. It's possible now to get RAM very cheap.

I'm considering also changing HDD to new WD but its sATA 300, and I don't know if it will work as well.

I don't know about the HDD, but I've been using 2+2Gb RAM since August on my F3Jc. It works great. But 32 bit Windows only copes with 3GB. You'll have to change to Vista 64 Bit to use it in full.

Hi!

I've bought a BCM-4321 mini pci e card on ebay, and it arrived today.

I plugged it in the spare mini pci express slot on my ASUS F3Sc. The system started up, and I gave the -v flag booting OSX.

But I had Kernel Panic. Can anyone help me with this?

I can read something about AirPortBrcm43xx at the end of it, but unfortunately I cannot understand what does this error mean.

pict0005le1.th.jpg

Thank you.

Hi all, i've been reading the forum for a while, but this is my first post. First of all, great guide, it cleared up many doubts i had. I'm not new to installing operation systems other than Windblows...(lots of linux distros...) and don't get freaked out easily just cos i have to open a terminal LOL :( ....

Anyway...Mac OS X is totally new to me, and although it is very linux like, it has some different folder structures, etc...so i'm just starting to learn....

I followed instructions here and got kalyway 10.5.2 installed on my asus laptop. (What a beautiful OS!). It's an F3T with a turion x2, 2gb of ram and a go7600. Nforce chipset, 6100 i think.

It installs fine, and even runs on 2 cores. (at least it says on hardware info and geekbench score pretty much confirms it), Geekbench score is higher than in XP :) . The problem are the usb ports and sound (it has a ALC660). Card reader and integrated cam don't work but are less of an issue and maybe it can be fixed too.

I still haven't tried to solve the sound problem, i'll try to follow the instructions and see if i can get it to work. But i tried to make usb work (usb mouse works if i start the laptop with the mouse pluged in) and I couldn't. I replaced the wrong version kext that dindt match the kernel, i reinstalled and ticked out PCGenUSB...but no luck. I always installed with sleep kernel and AMD patch1.

Anyone here with an F3T or similar chipset has got these things to work?. I guess my laptop is sort of compatible; It installs and runs fine.

I downloaded iDeneb 1.3 and will burn it and try that one also...do you think i've got more chances with that one?. Right now i'm back on xp. I created a separate partition so I can install it there. To enable dual boot what i got to do is set the Mac OS partition active and then install it there?.

Thanks!

I am in the same boat as you, no USB support exept for my mouse, I can get the ethernet driver installed, but it always says its disconnected, I was able to get the sound working but it skips a bit unless I am moving the mouse.

I am in the same boat as you, no USB support exept for my mouse, I can get the ethernet driver installed, but it always says its disconnected, I was able to get the sound working but it skips a bit unless I am moving the mouse.

I guess the easiest solution for the audio problem is one of those usb sound cards that are cheap, and compatible with OsX. I'm considering that. Only my wifi card works, the network card in my nforce chipset has no support as far as a i know, but i don't need it.

So basically if I could get around the Usb mass storage problem, and added a sound card, I have a usable system.

If you manage to solve the usb issue, please let me know. Even if i connect my iPod at startup, it doesn't show on the system... :(

Yes, but I wonder if my notebook will read 2gb pieces of RAM

On ASUS site it says that it can be upgraded to 2gb of RAM (2 pieces of 1gb), but I found some opinions that it will read more than that and that's why I wonder if anybody of you upgraded F3jc to 3 or 4GB of RAM

Merry Christmas!:D

Yes. read:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...00#entry1015686

I have 2+2GB

I guess the easiest solution for the audio problem is one of those usb sound cards that are cheap, and compatible with OsX. I'm considering that. Only my wifi card works, the network card in my nforce chipset has no support as far as a i know, but i don't need it.

So basically if I could get around the Usb mass storage problem, and added a sound card, I have a usable system.

If you manage to solve the usb issue, please let me know. Even if i connect my iPod at startup, it doesn't show on the system... :)

Yeah its really odd when you plug in a flash drive and no lights come on at all on the thing even right when you boot the thing.

Yeah its really odd when you plug in a flash drive and no lights come on at all on the thing even right when you boot the thing.

I managed to get audio working!. (it still skips a bit, but works). I used the kexts from Wiwi, based on Madtux (thank you both guys!). http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=41876

I have other kexts also, with alcinject, which i didn't try yet..don't know if it'll make any difference...

I also tried with the usb, and used the usb patcher programs from LioNext and Mysticus.... the v3 and the 2 in 1...i think they both do basically the same. I got my HP printer recognized and a digicam (sony s-650). Altough after a reboot it dind't pick the digicam up, i think :wacko: . I installed the 9.4.0 kernel and system.kext. Still no iPod recognition (it's windows formatted...but it should work right?). And it doesn't pick my nikon d40 at all.....

This usb thing is the last big issue i need to solve....so i guess i'll keep trying :) ...

just upgraded from 5.5 to 5.6. All works except battery meter. When system boots up, battery meter shows up, but after few secs it disappears. Tried changing powermanagment.bundle, but it's the same. I think it's because of this:

post-62628-1231072844_thumb.png

ohhhh man... i solved battery meter problem, but now i don't have qe/ci, just don't know why, i tried to isntall 10.5.5 kexts, but system hangs up when loading desktop, i can see dock and taskbar but nothing responds. with 10.5.6 kexts there's no qe/ci. tried 10.5.2 kexts but then computer restarts when loading gui. so i just don't know what to do. any suggestions?

Hi!

I've bought a BCM-4321 mini pci e card on ebay, and it arrived today.

I plugged it in the spare mini pci express slot on my ASUS F3Sc. The system started up, and I gave the -v flag booting OSX.

But I had Kernel Panic. Can anyone help me with this?

I can read something about AirPortBrcm43xx at the end of it, but unfortunately I cannot understand what does this error mean.

pict0005le1.th.jpg

Thank you.

Hi,

I just bought the same card on eBay for my Asus A8Sc and I had no kernel panic, it does work perfectly. In System, it is shown as an Airport Extreme.

I'm sorry I can't help you more, does it work on Windows ? (Mine doesn't, weirdly it can't launch it lol)

Guest undefined

I'm about to buy a Dell 1490 card, tired of sluggish development of Intel cards. And it seems I'm stuck with my Asus for bit longer, since I broke my MacBook :) And I made sure my card is actually 4965 instead of 3945 which it says on the sticker and in manual. So you guys may also have a card that's twice as worth as you thought it is :D

Hi,

I just bought the same card on eBay for my Asus A8Sc and I had no kernel panic, it does work perfectly. In System, it is shown as an Airport Extreme.

I'm sorry I can't help you more, does it work on Windows ? (Mine doesn't, weirdly it can't launch it lol)

I tried it under windows, and it cannot load the driver for it. There is a little exclamation mark on the device's icon. So I guess the card is bad. I hope the sender will exchange it.

-----

Also, I have a problem with this notebook. Sometimes the USB locks up, and I don't know why. As I experimented, it mostly stops working on high network load. I have a Zydas USB stick. Did you guys met this problem before? I did not found anything in the system.log or dmesg.

Hi,

Hey! I changed the IO80211Family.kext to an older one and now it works great! Yaay :(

I found that the internal antenna of the laptop is better than my 6dB External antenna. The signal strength is better with it!