The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread - Leopard!

antaholics

703 posts in this topic

Hi,

i'd like to ask if there's an updated list of what's working on F3JC and what's not.

So far I was able to get the Go7300 to work by deleting

Geforce* and NV* inside /System/Library/Extensions/

and installing both NVKush and NVidia kexts from diabolik's site afterwards,

(During iDeneb 1.4 installation I did not enable anything for nvidia or any other graphics card)

Similar for ALC660, i grabbed the latest voodooHDA, and removed everything HDA related from the same Extensions dir.

I was experiencing the Boot0: GPT Boot0:HFS+ Boot1: Error msg, which I was able to get rid of by installing Chameleon 2 rc candidate into disk0s2 through dd (instructions on chameleon website)

So far, the following doesn't work:

1. internal mic - did anyone get it to work?

2. sleep/hibernate freezes computer - i'd be interested whether this issue can be solved.

3. trackpad works, but sidescrolling doesn't - is it possible to get it to work?

(these are obvious)

3. wifi (iwi3945) doesn't work

4. syntek cam doesn't work

I wasn't able to test firewire or expresscard yet. Is there any way to find out whether it's using both cores or only one?

geticus, you dont need these files.

For the EFI partition is enough with the files that jjduro has in his signature right now:

AppleDecrypt, Disabler, SMBIOSResolver, HDAEnabler, OpenHaltrestart, ACPIBattery, VoodooPS2Controller, ClamshellDisplay, EHCISleepEnabler, VoodooPower, LegacyAppleAHCIPort, IOSDHCIBlockDevice

On /System/Library/Extensions remember to install voodoohda so you could have sound.

I even can think we could even have less kexts but I dont know because I'm not very experienced to be honest ;) (I just learn from the forum and my own mistakes)

For all F3JC users (and probably others): Here you got a boot-132 CD for Asus F3JC, now it includes the SMBIOSResolver. It has a lot of kexts, but not all of them are necessary to run Leopard. But as I dont know whats the use of every kext I wont delete anything from that ISO

To get the voodooHDA.Kext working out of the EFI Boot Partition, you need to add to the extensions.mkext IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext.

I believe it also works in conjuntion with AppleHDA.kext + ALCinject.kext/HDAEnabler.kext.

Will test it as soon as I can.

i'd like to ask if there's an updated list of what's working on F3JC and what's not.

So far I was able to get the Go7300 to work by deleting

Geforce* and NV* inside /System/Library/Extensions/

and installing both NVKush and NVidia kexts from diabolik's site afterwards,

(During iDeneb 1.4 installation I did not enable anything for nvidia or any other graphics card)

you just need natit ou nvdawin or NvKush or... If you had enabled those graphic cards you wouldn't have so much trouble.

Similar for ALC660, i grabbed the latest voodooHDA, and removed everything HDA related from the same Extensions dir.

Same thing. There is NO NEED to remove anything - except ALCinject, which is not needed.

I was experiencing the Boot0: GPT Boot0:HFS+ Boot1: Error msg, which I was able to get rid of by installing Chameleon 2 rc candidate into disk0s2 through dd (instructions on chameleon website)

We are now using an EFI boot partition plus Chameleon2

So far, the following doesn't work:

1. internal mic - did anyone get it to work?

It works with the older driver made by Taruga. VoodooHDA does not enable the mic as an input... yet.

2. sleep/hibernate freezes computer - i'd be interested whether this issue can be solved.

It is just the screen that doesn't wake up properly. the system works. Some graphics driver related problem.

3. trackpad works, but sidescrolling doesn't - is it possible to get it to work?

google for VoodooPS2controller. You'll have to delete the older PS2 drivers or else you'll get a kernel panic.

(these are obvious)

3. wifi (iwi3945) doesn't work

Buy a mini PCI-e wirelless card, Airport compatible, such as Broadcom 43xx and replace it. Or wait for news on project Camphor.

4. syntek cam doesn't work
Sure doesn't :P
I wasn't able to test firewire or expresscard yet. Is there any way to find out whether it's using both cores or only one?

Yup. go to About this Mac and check it. I've always had both cores working.

Great. I'm now using the voodooHDA.kext. No need for ALCinject ou HDAEnabler (Just to show system audio info) and it has to be installed with Kexthelper on S/L/E. Doesn't work from EFI Boot, but finally we can use the line out and headphones! There's support for several codecs from Realtek to Sigmatel.

I'm both line out and headphones all the time with taruga's mod for my 660VD and it is changing automatically when plugged. Microphone works with it as well :)

The only problem is with crashes. It happens all the time recently. I realized that it happens when computer is working longer time.

Is it possible to run OSX and Win7 on GUID with only chameleon 2? Now I'm using EasyBCD 2.0

It would be better to just choose once, not like with EasyBCD - 2 times. First on screen with systems, then again I have to hit Enter on Mac loader, otherwise it won't start. It's not possible to just turn it on and go to make a coffee :)

you just need natit ou nvdawin or NvKush or... If you had enabled those graphic cards you wouldn't have so much trouble.

Same thing. There is NO NEED to remove anything - except ALCinject, which is not needed.

Thanks for your response jjduro,

I only removed AppleHDA which I had installed previously. Since i was googling for some info on which injectors to use for nvidia, and many people reported problems with go7300+anything but natit, including myself after having tried nvkush nvdarwin and nvinject directly from iDeneb installation(don't remember the names i hope i got them right - each time i selected only one driver, and did a completely clean OSX reinstall each time just to make sure :thumbsdown_anim:. None of them worked, and NVKush from Diaboliks site didn't either, so i accidentally removed everything NV* related first - i thought it to be part of NVKush. After that i reinstalled NVKush, but i got a kernel panic with Geforce.kext. So in the end i removed everything Geforce* related as well, but i found out that Geforce* and NV* were the original driver kexts, and i needed to get them back into the system. I figured that Diabolik distributes them on his site (the other package besides NVKush). So I decided to get it back with his package but before i removed the remaining Geforce* kexts first. Reinstalled with NVKush Installer + NVKext Installer from Diabolik on a clean system(i.e. with NV*.kext and Geforce*.kext removed previously) and it worked! It was more an accident but NVKush works flawlessly so far with Go7300. For iDeneb i didn't select any video or audio drivers, as those included didn't work, and i decided to get newer ones. Point is, NVKush didn't work with the NV* and GeForce* kexts provided with iDeneb (these were present on system even if nothing was selected for video during installation).

I'm both line out and headphones all the time with taruga's mod for my 660VD and it is changing automatically when plugged. Microphone works with it as well ;)

The only problem is with crashes. It happens all the time recently. I realized that it happens when computer is working longer time.

Is it possible to run OSX and Win7 on GUID with only chameleon 2? Now I'm using EasyBCD 2.0

It would be better to just choose once, not like with EasyBCD - 2 times. First on screen with systems, then again I have to hit Enter on Mac loader, otherwise it won't start. It's not possible to just turn it on and go to make a coffee :D

I'm using OSX+Vista64x in a guid partition, booting with Chameleon2. When partitioning you just have to make a partition for OSX, another empty in FAT32 it can have 1GB or less, and finally another for Win7/Vista-NTFS. First install Windows, and then OSX. And that's it.

@emisc

if you can go with a DVD retail, the grub-dfe post by jjduro before like bootCD and the Kexts posted by titooo.

I'm a real noob in hackintosh, this was my first install, and I made it, many thanks to all of you

Install after chameleon 2 (pkg version it's work well) and that it.

By the way, Natit is not working for me in Extra folder, so I've tried Nvdarwin 1.2.5 and it's working. Nvinject is working to.

I still have a question :

I want to boot from EFI partition only. But, I've installed Chameleon 2 first outside the EFI partition. How can I be sure that my boot it's doing from EFI ?

@emisc

if you can go with a DVD retail, the grub-dfe post by jjduro before like bootCD and the Kexts posted by titooo.

I'm a real noob in hackintosh, this was my first install, and I made it, many thanks to all of you

Install after chameleon 2 (pkg version it's work well) and that it.

By the way, Natit is not working for me in Extra folder, so I've tried Nvdarwin 1.2.5 and it's working. Nvinject is working to.

I still have a question :

I want to boot from EFI partition only. But, I've installed Chameleon 2 first outside the EFI partition. How can I be sure that my boot it's doing from EFI ?

you probably aren't. chameleon screws the efi boot up. you'll have to repartition you hdd with Guid for it to work. to use cham2 and EFi you can't use the cham2 pkg. The instalation has to be made in Terminal with Chameleon separated files and Munky's EFi Boot method.

By the way, and again... To get the voodooHDA.Kext working out of the EFI Boot Partition or Extra Folder, you need to add IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext to the extensions.mkext, in Extra Folder.

I believe it also works in conjuntion with AppleHDA.kext + ALCinject.kext/HDAEnabler.kext.

Will test it as soon as I can.

ok, thank you jjduro

I've done the all install regarding the Munky method and after I did the upgrade with Chameleon 2 exacly like you said , by the Terminal. It's seem to be working.

May be I have to trash the extra folder creted by chameleon on my first install to be sure that my boot is from EFI partition ! Don't you think ?

For the sound, did you see this new release : New ALC861-VD AppleHDA HDEF audio driver

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=164123

I've tried but is not working for me.

I tried to find OSvKernDSPLib.kext without any succes.

good day

@jjduro

I'd like to ask a question regarding IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext, i tried the latest version and beta2 and it didn't work with my Ricoh R5C822. Did you make any modifications in order to make it work?

ok, thank you jjduro

I've done the all install regarding the Munky method and after I did the upgrade with Chameleon 2 exacly like you said , by the Terminal. It's seem to be working.

May be I have to trash the extra folder creted by chameleon on my first install to be sure that my boot is from EFI partition ! Don't you think ?

For the sound, did you see this new release : New ALC861-VD AppleHDA HDEF audio driver

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=164123

I've tried but is not working for me.

I tried to find OSvKernDSPLib.kext without any succes.

good day

yours is an ALC861, without VD or whatever. Just use the plain ALC861 Taruga's solution or the voodooHDA.kext. The kexts I mentioned - OSvKernDSPLib.kext and IOAudioFamily.kext - are inside S/L/E!

@jjduro

I'd like to ask a question regarding IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext, i tried the latest version and beta2 and it didn't work with my Ricoh R5C822. Did you make any modifications in order to make it work?

No. The thing is, the alpha and beta versions work with our card readers, but the final release doesn't. Try the kext pack I'm sending.

They work off an EFI boot partition or Extra Folder

sd_card_reader_pack.zip

No. The thing is, the alpha and beta versions work with our card readers, but the final release doesn't. Try the kext pack I'm sending.

They work of a EFI boot partition or Extra Folder

@jjduro

What do you mean with Extra Folder? I tried them inside /System/Library/Extensions but i got a kernel panic.

Is there anything we can do? Some reports, or logs or similar we could provide to the devs, so that they are able to fix the issue? Is it still being developed actively? Also, do other cards work? I think MMC and MS are the only other options, not sure whether MS works under Linux, but it's possible to get MMC to work by sending some specific commands to the RiCoh controller.

Also, is there a way to make things such as

- fan control

- cpu throttling

- Fn+ACPI keys

work?

Only brightness +/- works for me, the rest of the keys don't do anything.

I'm also getting a message about hibernation image being old, with a msg telling me to override by ForceWake=y

is it possible to fix it?

VoodooPS2Controller works fine but the settings are being reset with each new boot.

RiCoh Firewire seems to work with external audio cards.

@jjduro

What do you mean with Extra Folder? I tried them inside /System/Library/Extensions but i got a kernel panic.

I'm using chameleon's Extra Folder to load my specific drivers so Software Update doesn't erase them.

I modded those kexts so they should be used in an EFI Boot Partition or Chameleon's Extra Folder. Which bootloader are you using??

Install them with kext helper if you still want to try them on S/L/E. Repair Permissions before reboot, and don't forget to unload the SD Card before removing it, or else there will be a KP.

Is there anything we can do? Some reports, or logs or similar we could provide to the devs, so that they are able to fix the issue? Is it still being developed actively? Also, do other cards work? I think MMC and MS are the only other options, not sure whether MS works under Linux, but it's possible to get MMC to work by sending some specific commands to the RiCoh controller.

only SD works

Also, is there a way to make things such as

- fan control

- cpu throttling

There is no complete solution, but google for voodooPower

- Fn+ACPI keys

work?

Only brightness +/- works for me, the rest of the keys don't do anything.

I'm also getting a message about hibernation image being old, with a msg telling me to override by ForceWake=y

is it possible to fix it?

same problems here

VoodooPS2Controller works fine but the settings are being reset with each new boot.

That's odd...

Hi, I have installed Ideneb 10.5.6 in my F3JR and works well (with a usb wifi) but I can not scrolling on the touchpad, if I install voodoops2controller.kext the keyboard and the touchpad not working well, at that time I uninstall appleps2controller.kext and I have a kernel panic.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Hi, I have installed Ideneb 10.5.6 in my F3JR and works well (with a usb wifi) but I can not scrolling on the touchpad, if I install voodoops2controller.kext the keyboard and the touchpad not working well, at that time I uninstall appleps2controller.kext and I have a kernel panic.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

You only needed to remove AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext to avoid KP.

I'm using chameleon's Extra Folder to load my specific drivers so Software Update doesn't erase them.

I modded those kexts so they should be used in an EFI Boot Partition or Chameleon's Extra Folder. Which bootloader are you using??

Install them with kext helper if you still want to try them on S/L/E.

Thanks jjduro, I didn't know about the Extra Folder, I'm using Chameleon. Also, what does S/L/E mean? I see it often but didn't find out what it means.

I will keep searching for better solutions once i find them i will post them here.

My firewire expresscard seems to be working fine with an external audio card. I tried booting with the express card plugged in, and replugging the card. I haven't tried plugging the card into an already running system yet.

Also RiCoh firewire appears to be working just fine in the same situation, so I suppose that both can handle fw disks just fine.

Hi, everybody.

Asus F3E laptop with vanilla install (retail Leopard 10.5.6)

GMAX3100: 8086:2a02 rev 03

Gotten the GMAX3100 to work with the native Leopard 10.5.6 kext. 1.5.36 kext's.

Used the Natit.kext from slashack.

boot params: -f -v mode="1280x800x32@60"

-f boot option is a must without it it gives a white screen with black bar.

Deleted the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

And it worked.

Before this used the LeopardGraphics1 update with Natit.kext and the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext (1.5.18) from slashack. And deleted the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.

Hope this helps.

Update(14/05/2009): not working anymore. But upgraded too 10.5.7.

Now got it working with SwitchResX app.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

jjduro did you get your VoodooHDA from EFI working ?

I still have some trobles with my notebook :

Sound is working (Alc861 in S/L/E) but after a wake sound disapears.

For the graphic card I'm using NvinjectGo 0.2 modified (erased @75 in plist) to get dual screen, but I can't get Nvidia 7300 Go - 128 VRAM QE/CI and still have Core "Logiciel"

regards

Yes, I've made VoodooHDA work out of the EFI partition, and did the same with AC97. :P

ALC861's processes are killed after sleep. So, it won't wake up. No solution there.

QUOTEFor the graphic card I'm using NvinjectGo 0.2 modified (erased @75 in plist) to get dual screen, but I can't get Nvidia 7300 Go - 128 VRAM QE/CI and still have Core "Logiciel"

I'm using natit out of the EFI partition. Don't worry about the name of the graphics card, those things are merely cosmetic.

@jjduro

Thank you man